How will Borderlands fans who haven't played TFTB react?

I mean, there is a good amount of people who wouldn't want to play TFTB because they prefer the FPS genre, which is fine, but..

How are they gonna react to all these major things that have happened between BL 2 and BL 3?

Such as Scooters death, which is pretty critical to the franchise.

Comments

• I bet they'd be sad. D: I can't believe Scooter's gone either. First Shade (if you didn't let him go with you), and now Scooter...damn. :(

• What about the fact that the guy they spent an entire game systematically destroying and ultimately killing is suddenly a space station?

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

They'll find a way to recap all the important bits in a future game, probably.

Scooter's death is going to become fairly big news I'd imagine. There's going to be a ton of videos and discussion about that over the next few days, so there's no doubt that BL fans will pick up on all the buzz and end up watching a video about it.

That being said, I'd love to see peoples' reactions to that scene. I gotta say, Scooter got a hell of a send off, and one that definitely feels like Borderlands.

• You see that depends. Something could happen in episode 5 that makes that entire plot point useless.

However, Scooters death can't be changed, so until episode 5 comes, Handsome Jack becoming a space station could as if it never happened in episode 5.

What about the fact that the guy they spent an entire game systematically destroying and ultimately killing is suddenly a space station?

• [Scene from Borderlands 3]

Scooter: "I got Lucky. Real Lucky."

• ECH.

[Scene from Borderlands 3] Scooter: "I got Lucky. Real Lucky."

• I imagine Marcus will catch everyone up to speed - I mean, he loves a good story, and it doesn't get much better than that! (Also, Scooter was practically his step-kid at least for a while, so I imagine his depiction will be fitting).

Deltino posted: »

They'll find a way to recap all the important bits in a future game, probably. Scooter's death is going to become fairly big news I'd ima

• Imagine telling it to Moxxi and Ellie. But yeah, that does seem like a fitting way to tell the tale of Scooter.

I imagine Marcus will catch everyone up to speed - I mean, he loves a good story, and it doesn't get much better than that! (Also, Scooter was practically his step-kid at least for a while, so I imagine his depiction will be fitting).

• Yeah, that's true. I still can't see them going to all the trouble of resurrecting Jack only to kill him off again (though the personality/memory wipe is totally tempting - FOR FELICITY!)

You see that depends. Something could happen in episode 5 that makes that entire plot point useless. However, Scooters death can't be cha

• For Felicity? But I like Jack...

Strange to be for Felicity considering your name...

Then again that could be weird for me as well...

Yeah, that's true. I still can't see them going to all the trouble of resurrecting Jack only to kill him off again (though the personality/memory wipe is totally tempting - FOR FELICITY!)

• I imagine Marcus finishing his story and Scooter steps in and says, "Aw, you killed me off? That was awful mean of ya."

...Or something like that.

I imagine Marcus will catch everyone up to speed - I mean, he loves a good story, and it doesn't get much better than that! (Also, Scooter was practically his step-kid at least for a while, so I imagine his depiction will be fitting).

• I love Jack and obviously don't want anything to happen to him, but if he were to go out, from a purely narrative point of view it would be phenomenal if that's how they did it.

I just love mobius-strip-esque, bookended parallels - like how Felicity herself was an inversion of Angel: One was a person masquerading as an AI, the other was an AI pretending to be a person - and they both betrayed the men who 'loved' them by going behind their backs and helping the Vault Hunters, only to tragically die for the 'greater good' (aaand, both deaths were totally Jack's fault).

For Felicity? But I like Jack... Strange to be for Felicity considering your name... Then again that could be weird for me as well...

• Ahaha, that would be perfect!

mirashade posted: »

I imagine Marcus finishing his story and Scooter steps in and says, "Aw, you killed me off? That was awful mean of ya." ...Or something like that.

• I don't know, I feel like just putting him out again wouldn't really please those who were hopeful he was coming back.. Even if they did it in a badass way, but to each his own,

I can agree with you on that. But that's why I like redemption!

I love Jack and obviously don't want anything to happen to him, but if he were to go out, from a purely narrative point of view it would be

• Would Borderlands 3 do a recap of what happens in TFTB? Like all the major events?

• Tbh until Tales developed him more I didn't care one way or the other about Scooter, so I don't know if it's really be that big of a thing with people who only play the main games. They might have to do a little recap to explain why Janey is now on earth and, most likely, the one running the Catch-A-Ride system along with whatever else are permanent changes by the end of episode 5, but I don't see it as that big of a jump for most.

• He was one of my favorite character and to see him go was really heartbreaking for me, i started crying and it gonna feel weird playing BL3 without Scooter saying his catchphrases. it was nice honoring him

• I have two Borderlands loving friends (they're a bro and sis) who haven't seen episode 4, nor have they heard about. The bro hasn't even seen the game. I'll invite them over this weekend and get back to you, if you'd like. :)

• Usally the shooters do not care about the story and characters. True Borderlands fan won't skip Tales.

• As a huge Borderlands fan since the first one, i'm loving every second of it ;). I like the fact that Telltale can kill off major characters.

• The thing is they executed his death scene very well he went out in an awesome blaze of glory just how i think he would go out in, and the follow up scenes like what to decide to put in his advertisement is the icing on the cake, sad but great scene

TheJack posted: »

As a huge Borderlands fan since the first one, i'm loving every second of it . I like the fact that Telltale can kill off major characters.

• edited August 2015

I'm a BL2 player, and I am loving every freaking second of each masterpiece that comes out.

And yes, with Scooter dead...well, I looked at some reactions, and the fans were just utterly miserable about it, and genuinely sad. Some were really upset with TellTale, others were happy that Scooter died with dignity.

It's nice to know that, too, Scooter was very much loved by the fanbase.

• "There were some folks who saw me riding a rocket and ya know. They used their supermechanicchemicalturbosensor on ma hand, and said, 'you should catch a ride.'"

• And they can't do that in GoT. :)

TheJack posted: »

As a huge Borderlands fan since the first one, i'm loving every second of it . I like the fact that Telltale can kill off major characters.

• Well i uploaded the scene by itself since its sort of hard to find on youtube

Final catch a ride

• I really had a Sarita moment when I realized his hand was stuck. I know it would have been suicidal/awfully stupid again, but I'd have done it if I had the chance. chopchop.

• Marcus will recap important bits from TFTBL like Scooter's death so, no worries.

• I know a lot of Borderlands fans that are rather annoyed that Telltale brought Handsome Jack back. They were also unhappy with TPS since it was the "Handsome Jack Origin Story" as well. Many people want Handsome Jack to go away and others want him to stay. I think it'll be a shock to those people who don't know about Tales because of Jack's resurrection mainly. (Which, I'm amusing he will appear in BL3)

Regarding Scooter...

This depends on the type of gamer, are they for the gameplay or story? Those who care about gameplay probably don't even remember Scooter, while those who love the characters will be heartbroken. But since TPS was the most recent one to come out (and Scooter wasn't in it at all) I have a feeling a lot of people probably won't really care about his death one way or another.

Come back Scooter :(

• Definately true!!!

Omid's cat posted: »

Usally the shooters do not care about the story and characters. True Borderlands fan won't skip Tales.

• I always thought Handsome Jack was the most interesting character in the Tales from the Borderlands universe! I was a bit disappointed about the pre sequel because i hoped they would jack from a more human side and that you would actually feel sad about how he turns out but I think they really missed out on that part... episode 4 does a much better job showing HJ as a human person in the office scene than the whole Pre-Sequel. Thank you gor that Telltale!

I know a lot of Borderlands fans that are rather annoyed that Telltale brought Handsome Jack back. They were also unhappy with TPS since it

• Ups i meant Borderlands universe :D

Roymiller33 posted: »

I always thought Handsome Jack was the most interesting character in the Tales from the Borderlands universe! I was a bit disappointed abou

Sign in to comment in this discussion.