Why is Episode 4 so polarizing?

Difference of opinions I guess, but I would seriously like to know what exactly is "rushed" and "half assed" about it.
The whole "rushed" complaint goes over me because if it were rushed we would never get the LONGEST intro in the series which is all about building up to the big heist and even then it takes a while before we actually get to Helios itself. The slow pacing some reviewers have a problem with is strange because wasn't everyone having a problem with the fact that Telltale didn't really spend enough time with the characters they introduced and simply rushed their development along in order to get to the finale namely TWD S2?

Seriously, people are putting this wonderful piece of fiction in line with Amid the Ruins and In Sheep's Clothing at being just as bad which I find to be an insult as I always found Amid the Ruins to be on of the worst and most lazy piece of writing I've witnessed in a zombie story and In Sheep's Clothing has neon signs all around it saying, "this is totally rushed and thrown together."

Maybe I'm biased because I'm usually a fan of this kind of fiction where it blends laugh out loud hilarity with interesting depth and character growth but I fail to see this as a usual "awful Penumilate episode.

Comments

• I was just surprised at how short it was. Besides that, I loved it!

• edited August 2015

Huh i've seen nothing but praise

• My only "problem" with this episode is that it feels too short, but it definitely wasn't bad. To be honest this one made me laugh the most, still I wish we could've had more time to talk to the others as in the previous ones.

• That's another thing. Didn't feel that short to me in any way mainly because I probably used Rhys ECHO eye most of the time.

ActionHank posted: »

I was just surprised at how short it was. Besides that, I loved it!

• Great episode, but really short.

• It didn't really felt short to me, I think I had at least 2h in it. Sure we could have always used more content but It was not like TWD S2 episodes where it was barely 1h and a lot of the episode was filled with action QTE's. Its just the stupid game media not liking the episode. Probably my favorite episode after ep1.

• edited August 2015

There doesn't seem to be that much hate on the forums. I thought the episode's reception was just as good as the past episodes. I haven't exactly seen a Tales from The Borderlands hate thread yet, so that's a good sign this series has been doing well.

• I'm really talking about gaming sites reviews and it seems like there's a good number of people who claim that this is the worst episode on couple of those sites comments.

There doesn't seem to be that much hate on the forums. I thought the episode's reception was just as good as the past episodes. I haven't ex

• The worst scores I've seen are 6's and even the people who claim it's their least favorite episode still say they liked the episode. Tales has been so high quality that even the "worst" episode is still pretty damn good.

J-Master posted: »

I'm really talking about gaming sites reviews and it seems like there's a good number of people who claim that this is the worst episode on couple of those sites comments.

• Don't listen to mainstream reviews. Just like with LIS EP4 the mainstream reviews hated it, but the fans loved it.

• I mean, the IGN review was a 6/10, which is "better than average." Is that really so bad?

I'm really talking about gaming sites reviews and it seems like there's a good number of people who claim that this is the worst episode on couple of those sites comments.

• It was over 2 hours for me! Echo Eye, I guess.

I was just surprised at how short it was. Besides that, I loved it!

• Three hours for me actually. (I tend to lollygag). I guess I just expected something to still HAPPEN after Jack's office. Not that it was the end.

Lewsblake23 posted: »

It was over 2 hours for me! Echo Eye, I guess.

• Rushed? I was scared we'll receive rushed 4th episode because we didn't have to wait long for it. But TTG surprised me! More places to see; Pandora, space, Hyperion base. new costumes, models, options, situations... NO F...... WAY it was rushed!

And time - Tetra Ninja (1:43:50), NukemDukem (1:53:53), Cry (2 hours). Really short episode?!

• personally i thought it had too much space, but objectively speaking it was the citizen kane of games

• i thought it had too much space

7.8/10

personally i thought it had too much space, but objectively speaking it was the citizen kane of games

• Well, a lot of people are saying it's short. I think the "rushed" complaint might be an interpretation thing.

Omid's cat posted: »

Rushed? I was scared we'll receive rushed 4th episode because we didn't have to wait long for it. But TTG surprised me! More places to see;

• Imagination thing. Numbers do not lie.

Well, a lot of people are saying it's short. I think the "rushed" complaint might be an interpretation thing.

• How? What did you do for an hour? Not to mention the episode had only 3 exploration sequences (Fiona's being just a tiny area)

Three hours for me actually. (I tend to lollygag). I guess I just expected something to still HAPPEN after Jack's office. Not that it was the end.

• It was certainly the more fast-paced episode, but considering it is an infiltration of Helios, I think it is justified. I personally love this episode and can't see why some people don't like it.

• Yes, it deserves 8/10 minimum. But I mean, tastes are different.

IGN gave Episode 3 a 9/10, I would swap these two scores tbh

I mean, the IGN review was a 6/10, which is "better than average." Is that really so bad?

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited August 2015

Numbers do not lie

Except when they do

You know, like when you see the letter B, but then you realize nope, it's actually just the number 13 trying to throw you off the scent

Omid's cat posted: »

Imagination thing. Numbers do not lie.

• i loved this episode, im glad they didnt rush to helios and made it borderlands believable.
    Only thing i wanted was aftermath at end of episode, which is actually good!
    gotta build some tension!

• In the famous words of like - everyone, "You can't spell ignorance without IGN."

• Bleh, people are just whinging. It can't be perfect, but it was damn near. Amazing episode.

• It did feel rather rushed to me.

• Reviews aren't that polarizing, some reviews gave it a 10, some a 9, many an 8, one or two a 7.and just two a 6, it is a rather normal thing, since the episode is generally liked.

• As far as I can see 90% of us all agree that Ep 4 and Tales in general are amazing.

There doesn't seem to be that much hate on the forums. I thought the episode's reception was just as good as the past episodes. I haven't ex

• I think that everything before the Intro was planned for Episode 3. and the Intro of Episode 4 was planned to be the outro of Episode 3. At least i felt about it because the actual Ending of Episode 3 was...abrupt. I could be wrong of cause

• Here's your answer: IGN. Fuck them.

• Hell if I know. Started at 5 something, ended at 8 something.

How? What did you do for an hour? Not to mention the episode had only 3 exploration sequences (Fiona's being just a tiny area)

• edited August 2015

I would say I don't care about the reviews... but I do. This game deserves much more love than it gets. And I don't understand why..people are stupid I guess -.- Every episode of Tales is golden, and I actually think that it gets better and better every time.

• Until recently, I wasn't sure why people hated and/or mocked IGN reviews, then I saw the reviews for Tales and Life is Strange and I get it now. No taste.

In the famous words of like - everyone, "You can't spell ignorance without IGN."

• They only give call of duty and fps games high scores :\

WazzuMan posted: »

Until recently, I wasn't sure why people hated and/or mocked IGN reviews, then I saw the reviews for Tales and Life is Strange and I get it now. No taste.

• They always give a low rating to penultimate episodes in episodic game.

WazzuMan posted: »

Until recently, I wasn't sure why people hated and/or mocked IGN reviews, then I saw the reviews for Tales and Life is Strange and I get it now. No taste.

• The only character that was missing this episode was Loader Bot (and it's understandable, because walking with Gortys is already suspicious, walking with half a LB would be even more). The rest had LOTS of development: Yvette, Gortys, Rhys, Jack, Sasha, Fiona (kinda), August, etc... But yeah: IGN -> 6/10 cuz "too much space".

• The has been one of the best episodes that telltale has made out of all of their games.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.