Who is the real antagonist, Vallory or Jack?

Jack acts very antagonistly if you reject Hyperion in episode 4 and Vallory didn't have much screentime in that episode. Who do you think is the real villian?

Comments

• The stranger.

• Wow good one.

Killah posted: »

The stranger.

• Thanks,man.

AronDracula posted: »

Wow good one.

• Telltale is the ultimate evil in all of their games lol

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited August 2015

I'd say Vallory's the primary antagonist. Everything that happens roots back to her. She's the centerpiece and primary reason that this whole journey even occurs, even if she shows up a bit late to the story. Her influence has been present since episode 1.

Jack is more of a secondary antagonist, especially as of the end of episode 4. Prior to episode 4 however, I actually wouldn't consider Jack to be much of an antagonist

• edited August 2015

Vallory is the main villain, Jack is the main antagonist.

• Could you explain the difference? I might just be thick but those seem to be synonyms.

Flog61 posted: »

Vallory is the main villain, Jack is the main antagonist.

• Loader Bot.

• As this game is set in the borderlands universe, everyone's an antagonist.

• For me it'll always be Jack. Vallory's got nothin' on that Handsome bastard.

• A villain is someone who does evil things. An antagonist is someone who opposes the protagonist (but doesn't necessarily need to be evil). So technically you could be a villain without being an antagonist and vice versa.

Could you explain the difference? I might just be thick but those seem to be synonyms.

• It differs between every episode. I would say Vasquez and August are the villains of the first two episodes but they can be traced back to Vallory who I would say has only played a direct role in it in episode 3. I wouldn't say Jack is actually a villain in his own right instead is a plot device in Rhys' storyline and serves as his internal conflict throughout the game

• Well Vallory isn't evil.

BionicPaint posted: »

A villain is someone who does evil things. An antagonist is someone who opposes the protagonist (but doesn't necessarily need to be evil). So technically you could be a villain without being an antagonist and vice versa.

• If you really want to get it down to one person, I would personally say Jack.

The problem I have with pointing a finger at The Stranger is that they're a stranger. We have no idea who he/she is and it's difficult to know what exactly he/she's at fault for unless we find out who he/she is, right?

Vallory just seems threatening because she knows how to hold a large gun. Take that and her goons away, and what is she?

Handsome Jack, however, doesn't even need a weapon. All he needs is that big fat mouth and he's able to manipulate whoever he wants. He's the worst of them all because you never know what Jack's got up his sleeve (quite literally, too). No matter how much you end up feeling like you can trust him, you can't.

• I've been wondering that myself after the Episode 4 ending I can't say for certain. At the moment I consider Vallory and her goons to be allys (even though it's not by choice) I like being on the same team.

• edited August 2015

If Vallory doesn't get killed at the end of TFTBL, it'd actually leave a nice opening for BL3. After doing the tutorial, she and her thugs could be the first boss fight. It could even tie in to the whole story: first root out the major criminals on Pandora to harden the new Crimson Raider recruits before launching their assault against the mega-corps. and tracking down Vaults.

• Why? Loader Bot is too AWESOME

kristi78968 posted: »

Loader Bot.

• Stranger is he. You forgot his voice?

choircorgis posted: »

If you really want to get it down to one person, I would personally say Jack. The problem I have with pointing a finger at The Stranger i

• Jack! Vallory is no more a distraction to the vault and Jack's plans.

• No real reason really, just wanted to be different!

Why? Loader Bot is too AWESOME

• The Stranger could have a voice moduler, hence the robotic kinda sound. It may be a she.

Stranger is he. You forgot his voice?

• Yes she is...

AgentZ46 posted: »

Well Vallory isn't evil.

• edited August 2015

enter image description here

• Pfffffffft, everyone knows that Jack's the GODDAMN HERO of the story...

• everybody is oposite of everybody? thats a paradox

bigdogg0821 posted: »

As this game is set in the borderlands universe, everyone's an antagonist.

• enter image description here
    dat lip animations though

Pfffffffft, everyone knows that Jack's the GODDAMN HERO of the story...

• edited August 2015

I'd say Vallory is both a villain and antagonist. She has a similar position to a mob boss and she's a threat to Rhys and Fiona, the protagonists.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Well Vallory isn't evil.

• Okay. So antagonist doesn't only mean opposite. Opposites are antonyms. Learn your definitions.

everybody is oposite of everybody? thats a paradox

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

"But... yacht."

• antagonist is the oposite of the protagonist. if everybody on pandora is an antagonist the protagonist is also an antagonist, therefore everybody is oposite of both antagonist and protoganist, means everyone is the oposite of everyone. thats called paradox. you could have said you ment everybody is evil/villian

also antonyms is the oposite of a word, say the oposite of brutality is mercy. it has nothing to do with anything

bigdogg0821 posted: »

Okay. So antagonist doesn't only mean opposite. Opposites are antonyms. Learn your definitions.

• Handsome Goddamned Jack.

• Antagonist

Noun

A person who actively opposes or is hostile to someone or something; a adversary.

antagonist is the oposite of the protagonist. if everybody on pandora is an antagonist the protagonist is also an antagonist, therefore ever

• An antagonist is a character, group of characters, institution, or concept that stands in or represents opposition against which the protagonist(s) must contend. In other words, an antagonist is a person or a group of people who opposes a protagonist.[1]
    -wikipedia

RhysAndLee posted: »

Antagonist Noun A person who actively opposes or is hostile to someone or something; a adversary.

• edited August 2015

...if the game would let me have my way. Well, villain protagonist (and deuteragonist), anyway.

• Alright, I give up.

An antagonist is a character, group of characters, institution, or concept that stands in or represents opposition against which the protago

• No she isn't... her motives are exactly the same as Rhys and Fiona's she wants to get the vault, she hasn't really done any 'evil' things. Vallory definitely isn't a 'good' person but she isn't 'evil'.

JackMarco posted: »

Yes she is...

• It's weird how Vallory and Jack both have a scar on their face and a streak of different colour in their hair. Is it the villain fashion or something?

• At times, I feel like HJ and Vallory are not the antagonists of the story. Vallory is clearly bad and Handsome Jack is well...Handsome Jack.

I feel that the driving force behind the whole story is the hunt for the Vault. Every episodes has been connected to the Vault of the Traveler. While there are bad guys in the story and they are opposing our protagonists, it is the hunt that drives the story forward.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.