Borderlands movie

Comments

• AND IT WILL BE BEAUTIFUL.

FaceMcshootyismygod

YES IT WILL BE THE STORY OF HIS JOURNEY TO GET SHOT IN THE FACE

• Already have the #notmyJack hashtag ready if anyone else dares to play Handsome Jack. Dameon Clarke is the only one. And if it's Ben Aflack...we bring torches and pitch forks to the Lionsgate!

Deadpoolian posted: »

Well, Dameon Clarke is totally on board for playing Jack if he gets offered the role. [crosses fingers]

• edited August 2015

I want voice actors to be actors. Just, all of their voices fit into their characters...

• As for my thoughts about a Borderlands movie...
    It's the same every time I hear that a movie is made adapting a game or book I like: "Oh God, why?"

• edited August 2015

Reminder: Gearbox's Pax panel starts in ten minutes and you can watch it here!

It was confirmed that there will be more Borderlands movie details during it. I'm not expecting them to say too much, but I'm still gonna watch.

Edit- Pfft. They seem to be done talking about the movie and they honestly didn't say anything that wasn't already in the press release.

• I honestly don't know how I feel about it to be honest. I hope that it will be good and that they stick true to the source material, but Hollywood doesn't have a good history with video game movie adaptations. But if they do get Dameon Clarke to play Handsome Jack (which they should), then I will go see it no matter what.

• Well, there goes my stupid dream of ever playing Gaige...

• Oh my god. I would just die if he got to play as Handsome Jack in it.

It's only right that he'd get to, though. So perfect. Too perfect.

Well, Dameon Clarke is totally on board for playing Jack if he gets offered the role. [crosses fingers]

• edited August 2015

YO. Yo. Yoooooooooooooo.

I am going to be so upset if he doesn't play Handsome Jack???

And also incredibly confused? It would be like someone putting your favorite dinner in front of you and you ignoring it?? DIG IN, LIONSGATE. JUST. DO. IT.

• This may just be me but I don't think a movie is the best thing for Borderlands. Hear me out, I'm a massive die hard but when I hear Borderlands movie I can't see anything good coming out of it. Borderlands isn't a Mass Effect or Bioshock where there is a strong story, while it does have potential if it got into the right hands, I don't think they would actually get ahold of it. Like all narratives in video games, time is irrelevant which allows so much more detail to be added that in a film would have to be removed to fit that 3 hr cut off. Borderlands strength is interesting characters and its humor but you can't really develop every character if you're limiting the time of the story. Also the humor of Borderlands massively relies on topic references which really don't work well in a film (in fact they will date the games even a couple years from now).

In short I fear that a Borderlands movie would become just like every other video game movie where they just are taken as jokes. They will try too hard to make it serious when the franchise is built on being comedic. I believe if they really want to push the franchise into another media source, they should look at show (probably animated) where the focus is on a lot of small arcs. They would develop preexisting characters and introduce new ones for future games, and could get away with a lot of fan service without it seeming out of place.

• It would be like being offered a turkey dinner on Thanksgiving, only to find out it was tofurky. Worst Thanksgiving ever. No it does not taste just like turkey Aunt June! You're out of the will!

YO. Yo. Yoooooooooooooo. I am going to be so upset if he doesn't play Handsome Jack??? And also incredibly confused? It would be like someone putting your favorite dinner in front of you and you ignoring it?? DIG IN, LIONSGATE. JUST. DO. IT.

• Ehhh i dont know how are they gonna explain how a colony can just "retreat" to a vault, specially since in the games you "find" it and take its "riches". Also there's the Vault Monster....

People in the games stay away from Vaults, only Vaults hunters get close to them, now i wouldnt mind having a colony of VH's....

and tbh, the alien invasion thing is pretty cool too imo

Based on that original storyline that was teased earlier this year, I'm slightly apprehensive: "Described as a cross between Guardians

• edited August 2015

It's a good story, but not the Borderlands story. And eh...why would you 'hide' in a vault? There be monsters down there. That story more sounds like Elpis and the Lost Legions story.

And whats with the Movie A meets Movie B clique? It's like The Titanic meets Frankenstein. Pulp Fiction meets Mary Poppins.

Based on that original storyline that was teased earlier this year, I'm slightly apprehensive: "Described as a cross between Guardians

• i think the fact that it isn't bioshock or mass effect (story heavy) is the reason a film of borderlands is a good idea, borderlands is great at world building, but story not so much.

so basically if a film can match the world building of borderlands, the film could really be about anything (like tales from the borderlands) and it wouldn't matter, you could remake borderlands 1 as a film and i don't think anybody would really notice if the story was any different, because the story was "get to the vault, the end" less so with borderlands 2, but as long as a few key characters and some of the few key plot points were included, the film could do what it wants.

This may just be me but I don't think a movie is the best thing for Borderlands. Hear me out, I'm a massive die hard but when I hear Borderl

• wait, is this going to be an ''animated'' movie that will use the same artistic style that BL had, or like a movie with real people? this is so stupid but i havent slept in days and i'm too hyped right now i cant think YAAAAAAYYY

• edited August 2015

enter image description here enter image description here

Hulk Hogan as Torgue.

Agree?

• agree

ZapThroat posted: »

Hulk Hogan as Torgue. Agree?

• would this be animated? cause live action would seem kinda weird cool but wierd

• I have really, really, really mixed feelings about this.

I mean, LIONSGATE, FREAKING' LIONSGATE is helping produce, and there's a high chance that the voice actors will all be back.

But here are the problems:

• Borderlands 2 has enough lore and sidequests to last you a month or so of playing. And they're gonna have to pack most of it into 2, or hopefully 3, hours. And then there's the tons of backstory and other things...
    • Avi Arad...well...I really don't like him. For one, he was responsible-quite a large bit-for the problems and issues the TASM franchise had, he's tried to take all the success of the MCU away from Kevin Feige, he helped make Ghost Rider, which speaks for itself and he invented the idea of studios holding onto characters as long as they can. This resulted in some successes, like Days of Future Past, but more often than not, it's produce mediocre or even horrific films like...Fant4stic. Ugh.
    • I am highly suspicious that there will be a lot of executive meddling.
    • Less informed people will think that this is a ripoff of Mad Max. Or worse, critics will criticize the movie that way.
    • Video Game movies, sadly, somehow always find a way to crash and burn. The new Hitman movie looked so great, and then it was a train wreck. Besides, people tend to avoid seeing video game movies, what with all the infamy surrounding them.

In my opinion? What Borderlands needs isn't a movie. It would be far, far better as a TV series.

OK, OK, Nightfall started off weird, but it got better and now it's actually considered to be reasonably good.

But it would leave audiences kind of confused if they had to pack all the lore into the first movie-not just the main game, but the Eridians, the arrival of Dahl and Atlas, the creation of Bandits, etc, etc.

With a TV series, the lore and the sidequests can be spread out fairly nicely, and they won't need to downsize anything. Besides, recent shows like Falling Skies, Agent Carter, The Flash and Boardwalk Empire did beautifully and Netflix is getting more popular than ever, so they'll have a nice big fanbase up in no time.

• enter image description here

• I loved the animation in this one:
    And then it could actually look like the real characters. It would be really cool if they made it like that:)

would this be animated? cause live action would seem kinda weird cool but wierd

• edited August 2015

[removed]

• Borderlands 2 has enough lore and sidequests to last you a month or so of playing. And they're gonna have to pack most of it into 2, or hopefully 3, hours. And then there's the tons of backstory and other things...

They could split it into two movies, if necessary. And since I hear the first game doesn't have much of a story (still the only one I haven't played, but I'll get around to it...) they could probably fit in plenty of set up to BL2 in the first film. I'd imagine side quests as a whole would be ignored, though.

I agree that a TV series would suit the franchise much better. I always thought an animated series on Adult Swim would be awesome. Still, I'm curious to see how a movie will turn out.

LawmanZero posted: »

I have really, really, really mixed feelings about this. I mean, LIONSGATE, FREAKING' LIONSGATE is helping produce, and there's a high ch

• Just gonna put these here to possibly help with decision making? Based off of these I think a live action film could work but based off of other game-to-film adaptations it could be a train wreak. A series or animated thing might work better. Who knows?
    Borderlands Origins: Axton (BORDERLANDS live action fan-film)
    Home Sweet Sanctuary: a borderlands fan film
    Jack's Exodus

• Yes. You can see the similarities already.enter image description here

• I only hope that this movie is going to be animated. I have a feeling that this type of game turning into a live action movie wouldn't work out. Anyways that's just my opinion.

• edited August 2015

I have very mixed feelings about this, and I'm not sure about live action. There's something special to the Borderlands art style. It's like, close to my heart, man.

But I'm more worried about the plot. I had no worries about Tales because well Telltale Games did a pretty good job with good stories so far. But I really don't know the people making it well enough to judge. I'm just.....eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. EEEEE. I don't know. I just hope it doesn't go to shit.

• Nicolas Cage as Handsome Jack. Its gotta be done.

• Dameon Clarke as Handsome Jack. He looks like his character, and (obviously) sounds like him.

• edited August 2015

Animate it using Unreal Engine 4 on a super computer like Avatar was. (Borderlands 1, 2 and Pre Sequel run on Unreal 3)

Use Original Voice Actors, base it off of tales.

This is the only way it can be decent.

• Nicolas Cage as Krieg.

Nicolas Cage as Handsome Jack. Its gotta be done.

• Well I found a website where someone already has themselves a "dream cast" if that's what you call it.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eekh45eleeh/lilith-olivia-wilde/

• I disagree with Tom Cruise being Handsome Jack, there's no other person that can pull that role off other than Dameon Clarke, and since he already looks like Jack, he would be the perfect fit.

Well I found a website where someone already has themselves a "dream cast" if that's what you call it. http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eekh45eleeh/lilith-olivia-wilde/

• True. Upvoted.

I disagree with Tom Cruise being Handsome Jack, there's no other person that can pull that role off other than Dameon Clarke, and since he already looks like Jack, he would be the perfect fit.

• They can borrow tje setting and thats it. No characters from the game, expand, do not re-use.

• I really don't think they will be just translating the story of Borderlands into a movie format. That happens with books, but I've never seen that happen well with a videogame(or am I missing something? idk). There's not much real info about it yet, but they might've wanted a Borderlands movie not for the plot or characters but for the setting and fan following.

My prediction is that they'll have the same universe and various similarities, but the plot will be mostly it's own. Likewise, if there are any characters from the games in the movie it might only be one or two staple characters like Marcus or Claptrap that appear in about every game.

• Love the dream casting. but switch Handsome jack with Desmond Clark and Maya should be Chloe Grace Mortez. The first movie needs to set everything up. Do not worry about BL2 until BL1 is a solid stand alone. BL1 really sets up a lot of the lore and characters for BL2. I have always envisioned the ending credits to a BL movie to be a boss fight with Crawmerax. Just think of it watching the titles getting crushed by Craws claws over "Ain't no rest for the wicked".

• enter image description here

Someone say Nic Cage?

• 2handsome4me

Someone say Nic Cage?

• OR Glenn howerton
    The guy who plays Dennis on Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia!!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.