Do you think that they should make the Borderlands film/movie animated?

Personally I think it would be really good if they used the voices from the games but then it would have to be animated. Lets say who would play jack if it wasn't animated ( I could see Hugh Jackman being a good Jack) or any other main characters, and how would they do claptrap? I feel it wouldn't have the same feel if it wasn't animated but I might be wrong (Jack probably won't be in it as he's dead but let's say Timothy was then Hugh could play him :p)

Comments

• For one thing if they don't animate it, claptrap will be done the same way that transformers from the movie are done. I think that the movie would be really cool if it wasn't animated.

• edited August 2015

animated wouldn't be good, and hugh jackman as jack??? are you mad?

i think claptrap would be good as a practical effect but with some CGI enhancement.

basically, the best way it could be done would be like mad max, but without the sped up footage and have a male main character that does more than grunt

• Borderlands should always be animated regardless of media. The art style is such defining characteristic of the franchise that live action would end up just making generic. Borderlands is a zany, insane, and downright cartoony universe. Making it live action would take away those aspects and suck the life out of the narrative.

• Just because it's live action doesn't necessarily mean it has to be generic. If you look at a movie like Sin City and how incredibly stylized it is I think you'll get what I mean. I know that the cell shaded look of the game may be difficult to capture in a live action movie, but maybe they could find some kind of middle ground. The benefit of it being animated would be that they could cast all the actors from the game though...

Borderlands should always be animated regardless of media. The art style is such defining characteristic of the franchise that live action w

• Cel Shaded would be a bit weird for an action movie, but...

If you look at how they did the live action scenes for both Angel and Lilith in Borderlands and Borderlands 2, it's just... Weird. It seems so unusual in the universe.

But whatever, they might be able to make whatever style they use work.

• No, it'd take too long and wouldn't be very good unless some big-name company took it on. They should just get real people to act in it, give us a unique interpretation of the world.

• Lionsgate appears to be making a Borderlands Movie.

Borderlands Movie

• Yeah, that's why he made the thread.

Incendax posted: »

Lionsgate appears to be making a Borderlands Movie. Borderlands Movie

• edited August 2015

it should be animated you can use the same voice actors and it doesnt ruin the borderlands comic style design

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Some people have mentioned it before, but they should totally do it all stylized like A Scanner Darkly

• Either way, as long as they don't fuck it all, I'll be okay.

• If "Tales from the Borderlands" has shown anything, it's that a story told through animation can be fun and gripping.

The biggest concern about having a live action adaption is how a stylish and colorful game like Borderlands would translate to actors and backgrounds...I don't think it'd look good. The closest would be a style similar to Firefly...but the second issue is character...having different actors portray characters normally portrayed by voice actors along with adjusting the style of the game runs the risk of alienating fans or confusing newcomers.

I'd say an animated movie would be fantastic! The animated shorts are already amazing, and having the same voice actors means that people get the characters they know and love.

• edited August 2015

I'd actually have liked to see Jackman give Handsome Jack a shot. He's been typecast as the moody anti-hero for most of his career, but he's really chipper and has pretty good comedy timing in interviews. It'd be interesting to see him flex some of that on the big screen.

That aside though, I don't see how a Borderlands movie or animated series would be better than another game. Or even better, another season of this one.

animated wouldn't be good, and hugh jackman as jack??? are you mad? i think claptrap would be good as a practical effect but with some CG

• sure, but any actor could give a role a shot, but jackman is by no means the perfect casting of jack.

and it wont be one or the other, it would just be extra borderlands, an animated series may be ok, but a for film it would just be totally unnecessary whether it was 3d or 2d it just would be as good as a live action film and to make it high quality it would be stupidly expensive especially considering we are talking about a stylized realistic world.

Off_Ground posted: »

I'd actually have liked to see Jackman give Handsome Jack a shot. He's been typecast as the moody anti-hero for most of his career, but he's

• cant they just get Handsome Jack's VA and put the mask on him?

• I believe animated would be better. It would allow them to have a better connection to the games, and maybe even exist in it's canon. I don't think it would be able to fully replicate the over-the-top humor that the game has if it wasn't animated.

• edited August 2015

Uhm, nobody said anything about "perfect casting", assuming that such a thing even exists. I'm just saying that if a Borderlands movie was announced and Hugh Jackman was cast as Jack, I'd be pretty optimistic about that at least.

I don't know anything about movie production, but I'd personally prefer a feature-length animation in the style of Tales or an in-game cutscene from one of the original games over an attempt at a live-action adaption. I have a sneaking suspicion that the cool and quirky humor evident in the games would just look silly and stupid on a live action set.

sure, but any actor could give a role a shot, but jackman is by no means the perfect casting of jack. and it wont be one or the other, it

• yeah sure, maybe i over reacted by saying :

hugh jackman as jack??? are you mad?

but Dameon Clarke would be the "perfect casting" live action or animated, and with an animated film why would you even consider changing the casting?

Uhm, nobody said anything about "perfect casting", assuming that such a thing even exists. I'm just saying that if a Borderlands movie was a

• I haven't seen Dameon Clarke in anything so I wouldn't know for sure, but he doesn't really look the part if you ask me. Jack is taller and leaner, and looks older both with and without his mask. Based on pictures and youtube videos alone, I don't know if Clarke has the gravity and meanness to pull that off outside a sound studio. But sure, if you think he'd be a good fit. And I'm obviously not suggesting we suddenly replace Clarke with Jackman in an animated film. We were talking about casting in case of a live-action movie.

yeah sure, maybe i over reacted by saying : hugh jackman as jack??? are you mad? but Dameon Clarke would be the "perfect casting" live action or animated, and with an animated film why would you even consider changing the casting?

• i have seen him in a few youtube videos and he is quite energetic and charismatic (in a jack kind of way) in real life, and i am pretty sure the character is based on his looks

I haven't seen Dameon Clarke in anything so I wouldn't know for sure, but he doesn't really look the part if you ask me. Jack is taller and

Sign in to comment in this discussion.