Do the choices really matter more than GOT?

I get people dislike how none of the choices in Game of Thrones has anything resembling an everlasting effect and several have said the choices in this matter more but I don't see it. I don't think we've had any choices that have a serious long lasting effect (lasting more than one episode) and many of them seem to just be designed for a single moment. I remember being angered when my deal with Vasquez sizzled into nothing and overall just left me disappointed I think illusion of choice mechanic has had a long fall in the more recent Telltale games since TWAU and TWD. This is just my opinion how do you think the choices in TFTB are better or worse than GOT?

Comments

• As with most modern Telltale games, choices are meant more to personalize your own story through how you contextualize the choices you make. However, in Tales from the Borderlands, I do like that they offer subtle changes in the later episodes based off of certain choices like Trusting Jack/Fiona or how you respond to Cassius.

• "One Forum is in a civil war about how much choices matter and how good the game is...Here's a great idea, let's bring that shit storm over here!"

• That wasn't my intention. I just noticed several people (even Telltale fans) berate the game for lack of choices mattering. I don't think people hold other games to that standard

"One Forum is in a civil war about how much choices matter and how good the game is...Here's a great idea, let's bring that shit storm over here!"

• So we should create arguments Forum wide because of that? Going to be honest, rather not see the Tales forum as what the GoT Forum is now.

Clemenem posted: »

That wasn't my intention. I just noticed several people (even Telltale fans) berate the game for lack of choices mattering. I don't think people hold other games to that standard

• People getting into arguements over video games still doesn't make sense to me. And I've playing games for a while now :D

• Yes, in tales your decisions can lead to totally different scenes. In GoT you get the same scenes regardless of your decisions

• edited September 2015

Tales actually does a pretty great job with choices from E2 and onwards. E2 is pretty different depending on if you keep a secret and what location you choose. E3 has many differences depending on who you trusted. E4 has two great endings.

Edit- I haven't played GoT tho. But I think Tales has the best choice changes since S1 of TWD.

• It's still that bad over there? Gotta admit, I've completely washed my hands of GoT, so i haven't visited the forum ever since ep 5. Things weren't looking to great back then. I would've though it'd gotten better by now.

So we should create arguments Forum wide because of that? Going to be honest, rather not see the Tales forum as what the GoT Forum is now.

• Well it was pretty calm and cool with the occasional negative thread, but it randomly flared up a few days ago and a couple people got banned. It's since cooled off so it's back to normal.

A_Great_Guy posted: »

It's still that bad over there? Gotta admit, I've completely washed my hands of GoT, so i haven't visited the forum ever since ep 5. Things weren't looking to great back then. I would've though it'd gotten better by now.

• That's good, even though my interest in the game is pretty much non existent anymore, seeing the community get into it is never fun.

dojo32161 posted: »

Well it was pretty calm and cool with the occasional negative thread, but it randomly flared up a few days ago and a couple people got banned. It's since cooled off so it's back to normal.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited September 2015

I'd say they definitely do. They're still fairly small effects in the long run (with a few exceptions), but they definitely help tailor the gameplay/story more extensively and on a more personal level than in GoT, at least in my opinion.

You have the Loader Bot choice, which affects his disposition towards you in the following episodes. He throws you around, and gets sassy with you, and completely changes an optional dialogue tree you have with him in episode 3 (which itself is completely optional based on yet another choice).

Telling Vaughn about Jack opens up a small unique scene of Jack being a dick (literally and figuratively), which can potentially get brought up later on. Vaughn can make mention of it if Jack took over Rhys' body in episode 3, and Jack himself can bring up the decision during episode 4, specifically when you tell Fiona and Sasha about Jack.

You have the choice of going to Hollowpoint or Old Haven, which nets you an optional, unique scene with Athena and Janey. Even though you meet Janey in episode 4 regardless, it changes up how that scene plays out, and Janey gets a unique smashcard for episode 4 if you missed her earlier.

You have the choice of trusting Jack or Fiona, which changes the opening sequence of episode 3 quite extensively. You either go straight in guns blazing, being able to control a drone yourself if you trusted Jack, or you play a more stealthy approach that involves sneaking around turrets, before making your way back to the main room.

We've gotten the ECHO-eye/Jackapedia, which spans the season based on the choice of who to trust at the end of episode 2. You also get Dumpy out of that, which doesn't change a whole lot, but it does open up a third alternative option in episode 4, as well as changing up and adding a few additional scenes here and there.

The episode 3 intro sequence itself is affected by previous choices. Vaughn can be paralyzed during the intro sequence, or he can be fully active, along with a small unique scene of him and Rhys playing pong. The mask that you chose in episode 1 also comes into play at this part as a kind of cameo. Furthermore, depending on whether or not Rhys got his shoe back in episode 2 will also change the intro sequence slightly. Unfortunately, there's a small oversight that occurs there if Rhys never lost his shoe in the first place, but oh well, what are you gonna do?

The choice of trusting Jack/Fiona also changes Vaughn's role in episode 3. Either he spends the first half of the episode paralyzed, or he's up and about, which opens up a unique conversation you get to have with him. Likewise, him being paralyzed opens up a unique conversation with Loader Bot instead, which is also effected by the choice to have him evacuate or self-destruct in episode 1, and gives you the option to ask for forgiveness (which is a unique little touch instead of making the relationship fully dependent on the episode 1 choice).

Trusting Jack also opens up the additional scene where he takes over your body in episode 3, which can be referenced multiple times after the fact.

You have lasting cosmetic changes to the characters based on choices: August can get shot in his hand in episode 1 (which appears bandaged for the rest of the season), his nose ring ripped out by Vallory, and you can shoot him in the side if you trusted Jack in episode 2. On top of that, you also have the quick-change station that lets you deck out the appearance of the cast, which carries over into the next episode (and you're not specifically required to purchase Hyperion outfits in episode 4, so you can still use what you purchased in episode 3). Some of these outfit changes actually do result in unique dialogue going forward, the notable examples being Scooter greeting you differently in episode 4 depending on if you didn't get a new outfit, if only Fiona got a new outfit, or if both Fiona and Sasha got new outfits, and August addressing you and Sasha differently in episode 4 based on whether or not you changed outfits. You have Finch, whose appearance actually changes more than once. The elemental damage when you shoot him in episode 2 affects his face, while the elemental damage when you shoot him again in episode 3 affects his arm. You can have little combinations of damage to him; shocked face + corroded arm, corroded face + burned arm, burned face and arm, etc etc.

A somewhat smaller example of cosmetic changes is also present with Rhys and his shoe. Its possible for him to never lose it in the first place if you don't grab him during episode 2's intro sequence. If he never loses it, it actually changes the dialogue options you get with Fiona and Sasha at Old Haven (if you chose to go to Hollowpoint first), as well as being present for the rest of the episode. Vasquez will also compliment Vaughn's abs when he shows up instead, unlike how he says "nice sock" if Rhys is missing his shoe. It also slightly changes what Rhys says when you climb that dumpster in Old Haven.

You have the choice with Cassius, which directly affects whether or not Vaughn (and Cassius himself) shows up in episode 4. And if he does show up, it does change quite a few elements; he gets stabbed instead of Sasha if you refuse to work with Vallory (which is also unique itself; he doesn't get stabbed in the same spot or react the same way Sasha does), you get an extra chance to talk to him, and you get a further choice that effects his role in the episode; if you tell him to escape from Vallory, he manages to get away from Finch and Kroger, biting Kroger in the process (which leaves a lasting cosmetic effect), while if you told him to play it safe, he'll show up for one more (albeit small) scene.

Episode 4 offers us two different endings (at least for the time being): either you willingly upload Jack into the network, allowing Rhys to become the (most likely temporary) president of Hyperion, or you're forced by Jack to upload him into the Hyperion/Helios network and get nothing out of it besides him threatening to kill you. The tone of the entire ending sequence can completely shift based on this choice alone.

The only episode where the choices haven't had much of an effect is Zer0 Sum, but given some of the small hints that have been dropped throughout the season, the Felix choice at the very least might come back full-force in episode 5.

The handling of choices in Tales is pretty much as good as it was in TWD S1. I'd even argue that a few of the choices in Tales have actually had bigger impacts than some of the choices in TWD S1 did.

• if you tell him to escape from Vallory, he manages to get away from Finch and Kroger, biting Kroger in the process (which leaves a lasting cosmetic effect),

Woah! When does that happen?!

Deltino posted: »

I'd say they definitely do. They're still fairly small effects in the long run (with a few exceptions), but they definitely help tailor the

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited September 2015

During the Old Haven part, when you return with the bomb psycho chasing after you. If you told Vaughn to escape, Rhys asks them where Vaughn went, and Kroger tells him that he bit him (in the ear, for some reason) and ran off. If you told him to play it safe, Vaughn will still be there.

if you tell him to escape from Vallory, he manages to get away from Finch and Kroger, biting Kroger in the process (which leaves a lasting cosmetic effect), Woah! When does that happen?!

• Wow I didn't know that he would make an escape so soon (I told him to stay with Vallory) this might change Vaughn's fate for the better/worst.

During the Old Haven part, when you return with the bomb psycho chasing after you. If you told Vaughn to escape, Rhys asks them where Vaughn

• I wasn't expecting it either. I found it pretty surprising when it happened

Wow I didn't know that he would make an escape so soon (I told him to stay with Vallory) this might change Vaughn's fate for the better/worst.

• I feel like the changes in dialogue and on the way the characters look and act do change a lot, much more than on GoT. We get different scenes, sometimes we can miss a scene entirely because of a decision. GoT only did that once, and to a really short scene: If Mira doesn't ask Margaery to talk to Joffrey, she doesn't get the scene where she can steal two objects.

We are all familiarized with the classical message "[?] Character will remember that" and its variants. I actually feel like most if not all the relevant characters do remember what I do in TFTB and react accordingly.

• Laughs

No.

The choices didn't matter in any Telltale games.

• You have Finch, whose appearance actually changes more than once. The elemental damage when you shoot him in episode 2 affects his face, while the elemental damage when you shoot him again in episode 3 affects his arm. You can have little combinations of damage to him; shocked face + corroded arm, corroded face + burned arm, burned face and arm, etc etc.

I also like that he has unique line if you shoot him with the same element again.

I'd say they definitely do. They're still fairly small effects in the long run (with a few exceptions), but they definitely help tailor the

• I think the choices have a much bigger impact on the story than in any other Telltale game I have played before.
    Loaderbot holds a grudge for 3 episodes if you chose to blow him up (still cant understand how people could do that ;( ), Jack's relationship towards depends also quite a lot on how you interact with him, so yeah, the choices do really matter :)

• Bravo! Excellently written! I enjoyed reading your post. :)

• I guess the A-Telltale team really did work on Tales.

• I also like how Rhysquez's game face depends on what you chose in episode 1. It's a nice little detail if you remember it.

• I did not notice that! Does that mean he can have a completely blank game face?!

I also like how Rhysquez's game face depends on what you chose in episode 1. It's a nice little detail if you remember it.

• I knew there was something else I was forgetting. Yeah, that one is also neat.

I also like how Rhysquez's game face depends on what you chose in episode 1. It's a nice little detail if you remember it.

• edited September 2015

A gif or vid would be better but...

enter image description here

I did not notice that! Does that mean he can have a completely blank game face?!

• im hoping the choices affect the ending I just don't want another mass effect 3 style ending

• everyone will remember that

Abeille posted: »

I feel like the changes in dialogue and on the way the characters look and act do change a lot, much more than on GoT. We get different scen

Sign in to comment in this discussion.