I hate Minecraft

edited November 2015 in Minecraft: Story Mode

So I have played and liked every game TTG has made the last 4 years. I have always believed, that TTG can make an awesome game out of everything. That is untill today.

I have never understood the appeal Minecraft has for a lot of gamers, and when TTG announced they were making it, I was very sceptic. Regardless I have given it a fair chance because I trust in TTG, but I just can't work with it. I actually don't think it is TTG's fault my main issue is with the Minecraft universe and the design. In my eyes it looks like a lame excuse to save money on grafics.

That brings me to my question. Am I the only TTG fan, who really don't like Minecraft? I know that I'm gonna get a lot of hate for this, but I need to know if I'm the only one, who thinks that TTG and Minecraft is a poor fit.

Comments

• I never understood why so many gamers find the graphics to be important. Maybe it is because I grew up in the 90's, playing 8-bit and 16-bit games, but if there is one thing I don't give a shit about when I play a game is the graphics. Style, now, that's important, and Minecraft has a well-defined one, so that's good in my book.

Anyways, I'm not going to lie, I was very skeptic at first too, but turns I found it to be a pretty good game for what it intends to be: A fun, light-hearted adventure aimed at a younger audience. Episode 3 was especially good, and the end really surprised me. I never played TellTale's more light-hearted titles, only their mature ones, so what Minecraft Story Mode is offering is pretty new for me, and I'm enjoying it.

• You will receive no hate from me. I personally love the game, but your opinion is completely valid

• Some good and valid points. I actually did not think about the aim for a younger audience. I to grew up in the 90's and if graphics were everything I would not be a TTG fan:) The reason I mention graphics in Minecraft is because in my eyes it looks lacy.

Abeille posted: »

I never understood why so many gamers find the graphics to be important. Maybe it is because I grew up in the 90's, playing 8-bit and 16-bit

• well stop playing it. its that simple.

• wow dude.... your really negative arent ya :\ Graphics don't matter, its the story :D..and with minecraft, dont diss on over 8 million peoples fav game, especially if you dont want any hate :) now gl to you in another game, dont post if you dont like lol

• [removed]

jamex1223 posted: »

well stop playing it. its that simple.

• The story's shite, tbh.

• Meh, it's ok. I don't completely hate it, but I really don't like it either.

• Me too!

Meh, it's ok. I don't completely hate it, but I really don't like it either.

• I don't like it, but that doesn't mean others don't. I would much prefer a Season 2 of TWAU or something else, but yeah, not much we can do. I'm sure a lot of children (or even older) enjoy the game and that's all that matters. For a game to stay in the Top 2 paid apps for weeks, shows TellTale has hit the mark with this game, it may end up being more popular in time than any other game TT has made.

• Why what? Why does nobody care or why don't we need negativity? If it's why nobody cares, well I'll tell you. It's because this game is still gonna go on no matter what shitty opinions people have about it, and there will always be fans who simply don't give a fuck, or in this situation, don't care about this guys pissy attitude.

If it's for why we don't need more negativity, Well let's see. Mincraft: Story Mode is actually an enjoyable game with a decent plot that is fun to play, and pretty funny. The writers and animators work very hard on it, and are proud of what they make. Assholes like him who can't just shut up or at least be reasonable about the game, are making things a million times worse. Especially with that comment about graphics. Gamers seriously shouldn't care about how their game looks, if it's fun, who cares.

DAISHI posted: »

Why?

• edited November 2015

Well, I have a question for YOU. Do the graphics really matter? That's not why I play TTGs. I play these games because of the story and gameplay, that's what I care about, it doesn't matter if the graphics are realistic or animated to me

• Yeah, it is aimed at a younger audience. Reminds me a lot of the family movies I used to watch with my sister and my cousins when we were kids. I think that's one of the reasons why I like it so much, it gives me a nostalgic feeling of some sort.

Keupajer posted: »

Some good and valid points. I actually did not think about the aim for a younger audience. I to grew up in the 90's and if graphics were eve

• To be honest, ideal games have good graphics and good gameplay. Neither of those fields should be neglected because of the other.

Recent example is this new Battlefront game. It runs beautifully in 4K resolution on Ultra with my Titan X graphic card etc but... gameplay is seriously lacking (not the quality of it but how much there is in terms of gameplay.)

Anyway I should get to my point. Telltale Games are not really about neither of those things. Their gameplay especially since the Walking Dead has been bare bones but they tend to make good stories which is why I buy their games. However for whatever reason they decided to include that awful combat system to their Minecraft: Story Mode instead of bothering to make even basic move around combat system. In fact I think that their TWD formula doesn't really work with this game. Minecraft is about letting you move around and explore your surroundings. Letting you to build things and making up your own stories to your world. It's a series that doesn't have a story because the playerbase doesn't want one (majority of them anyway.)

Way I purchase my games it generally boils down to this.

Does it have good story?
    Does it play well (gameplay?)
    Does it look enough good visually based onto game's release date?

As long at least two of those things are good, then I will likely buy the game if I'm enough interested beforehand. Currently it looks enough good visually as it's faithful to Minecraft's aesthetics while adding some more advanced shading. How good is the story? I don't know, I only finished the episode 1 so far. Does it play well? Well, it's their usual QTE fare.

• Ok don't like it? Then is really simple, don't play it. Is it amazing how simple it is? :P

• I didn't buy it simply because I thought the graphics looked awful.

• Same

ShampaFK posted: »

I didn't buy it simply because I thought the graphics looked awful.

• I'm very pleased to know, that I'm not the only one, who wish to see TWAU s02 as soon as possible:)

Chilled posted: »

I don't like it, but that doesn't mean others don't. I would much prefer a Season 2 of TWAU or something else, but yeah, not much we can do.

• You know you have one of the worst fucking arguments ever? The "dont lik it dont buy it !!" thing is a fucking worthless argument

• Graphics are an important part of a games immersion. People who say otherwise just want to act with le "nostalgia" but end up being too young to have even played the orginal games.

Why what? Why does nobody care or why don't we need negativity? If it's why nobody cares, well I'll tell you. It's because this game is stil

• Graphics are not the holy grail, but yes they do matter. I play TTG for the story, and the graphics are as good, as they need to be. My issue is not with TTG but the Minecraft style. It just looks to lacy. Ask you self this. Why is Minecraft the first game in in 4 years to release monthly (ish).

AronDracula posted: »

Well, I have a question for YOU. Do the graphics really matter? That's not why I play TTGs. I play these games because of the story and gameplay, that's what I care about, it doesn't matter if the graphics are realistic or animated to me

• Graphics are in no way important to me, nor to they enhance the immersion. And I know many people who agree. Even in newer games I really could not give a shit what the game looks like. If it's bad, it's bad. If it's good, it's good. Graphics aren't gonna change anything. However, While I could go on and on about how the obsession over graphics is ridiculous, I'm really not looking to start another argument, especially one with you, considering it got both of our dumb overconfident asses banned last time we did start a huge fucking argument. So I will say this, while I respect your opinion (and all the other gamers opinions) about how graphics will make the game, I'm not going to change my stance on this discussion. Graphics don't mean shit if the game is bad.

Talimancer posted: »

Graphics are an important part of a games immersion. People who say otherwise just want to act with le "nostalgia" but end up being too young to have even played the orginal games.

• If you mean why Minecraft episode is released just a few weeks later, then I say it's because MC:SM is more for younger audience and its animation is more easily to make than the ones from other games

Graphics are not the holy grail, but yes they do matter. I play TTG for the story, and the graphics are as good, as they need to be. My issu

• So you assume I'm stil playing it:P The only reason I had to buy the first 2 episodes, is because it is TTG. Next time the make a game and I doubt the concept I will stil buy minimum 2 episodes, because it is TTG:) Yes I'm a stupid fanboy like that;)

Smellmeh posted: »

Ok don't like it? Then is really simple, don't play it. Is it amazing how simple it is? :P

• It kind of looks like you care... At least a little bit;)

Why what? Why does nobody care or why don't we need negativity? If it's why nobody cares, well I'll tell you. It's because this game is stil

• Yeah, you're right. I was being a bit of an asshole, but I don't care about graphics, (Don't get me wrong though, if a game is beautiful enough I'll fangasm) I do, however, care about the topic of graphics.

It kind of looks like you care... At least a little bit;)

• And that is fair, and a good reason:) But for someone who is new to Minecraft, it just don't hold the same nostalgia for me.

Abeille posted: »

Yeah, it is aimed at a younger audience. Reminds me a lot of the family movies I used to watch with my sister and my cousins when we were kids. I think that's one of the reasons why I like it so much, it gives me a nostalgic feeling of some sort.

• Sure- I did that already:)

jamex1223 posted: »

well stop playing it. its that simple.

• Alright guys, I've removed a bunch of comments. Please, please, try to be more civil and respectful. Rather than saying "Your opinion is garbage.", say "I disagree with that because...". This thread seems to be going downhill, and if it goes any further I'll be forced to lock it. Thanks.

As my own thoughts on the subject, I used to play a ton of Minecraft. I don't really play it anymore, but it's still an enjoyable experience most of the time.

• OP is not being an asshole, so let's not be assholes either, how about that? He isn't spamming the forums with thread after thread complaining about the game.

He gave the game a chance and didn't like it. It happens. No need to be an ass to him about it.

• edited November 2015

You have every right to have your own opinions. And I respect that.

I do agree that Minecraft may not appeal to everyone and I do agree that I don't feel as emotionally invested as I did with the previous four games, but I still have fun with the game.

• And that's perfectly fine too. You gave the game a chance but didn't like it. No game is going to please everybody, and that's fine.

And that is fair, and a good reason:) But for someone who is new to Minecraft, it just don't hold the same nostalgia for me.

• And that is my point:)

AronDracula posted: »

If you mean why Minecraft episode is released just a few weeks later, then I say it's because MC:SM is more for younger audience and its animation is more easily to make than the ones from other games

• Thanks.

It is the first time TTG has made a game I don't love. I'm not used to see a TTG game and not play every single episode:(

Alright guys, I've removed a bunch of comments. Please, please, try to be more civil and respectful. Rather than saying "Your opinion is gar

Sign in to comment in this discussion.