Details that people might forget, don't notice or just don't know about The Walking Dead

Comments

• As @BufkinandLilly said, Monroe was her family's surname. The panel said “#1 R. Monroe” in honor of her husband Reg—and that was actually the first wall of all Alexandria.

• And Siddiq means "truthful" this might mean something in the future.

According to Behind The Name, Rashid means "rightly guided". This leads me to believe that Telltale might've chosen this name on purpose, meaning that Rashid and Vanessa made it to wherever it is that they went after leaving the Mobjack ferry.

• edited March 2016

But thats exactly what I'm talking about - you can do this with any character. It'd only be absolute truth if Telltale confirmed that this is how they name their characters.

Let me take some examples.

Bonnie. Bonnie means beautiful and charming. Bonnie charmed the group in episode 2, tricking us into giving food and unknowingly helped the group. Also she struggles to regain her 'beauty' by overcoming drug addiction.

How about Olivia from Minecraft? Her name comes likely from 'oliva' in latin meaning olive. Her hat is an olive colour. Therefore Telltale named her Olivia after olives.

Let's take another from a random tv show. Say, Amy from Futurama. Amy means 'beloved'. Amy struggles with being overly loved and critiqued, with a caring eye, by her parents throughout the seasons. She also ends up in a stable relationship unlike most other futurama characters.

Let's try another. 'Ronald' from harry potter. Means 'mighty counsellor/ruler'. Ron despite his faults gives some amazing advice throughout the series and displays a good tactical mind in the first book in the big chess match.

My point is that you can do this kind of thing with basically every single character name whose name can mean something. Because of confirmation bias. You find out the name, then make sometimes tenuous conenctions to the character because the idea of characters' names meaning something about their character is artistically appealing, but there's truly no reason to suppose it.

Try it out. Give me a random character's name from a well known book or show or film and I'll make the meaning of the name relevant.

But Telltale has a history of doing that. Omid, for example, is Persian for hope. When Omid died, hope was dead, setting the tone for the Episode/Season.

• Is Jesus related to them?

As @BufkinandLilly said, Monroe was her family's surname. The panel said “#1 R. Monroe” in honor of her husband Reg—and that was actually the first wall of all Alexandria.

• Nah, that's why he's Paul Rovia in the show because it would be confusing. Shockingly enough, people can be unrelated and have the same last name.

I admit it wasn't Kirkman's best decision though.

Flog61 posted: »

Is Jesus related to them?

• I don't really think it's an intended reference, but a neat thing nonetheless.

In AMC's The Walking Dead Michonne points to Macon on a map of Georgia as she plans her hunt for The Governor. A reference to Season 1 of

• I will try to be as honest as possible.

I was in the middle of writing a comment in which I had explained how several of the character's name meaning have no way of relating to them—and it is true, in Vanessa's, Berto's, Sam's, Greg's, Randall's and Jonas's case—but I realized that there are other cases in which you can subconsciously stretching things out, and also realized that I could've possibly been doing that mistake myself.

We just need somebody from Telltale to confirm whether they keep name meanings in mind when deciding the names for characters… perhaps @emilybuckshot can say something?

But thats exactly what I'm talking about - you can do this with any character. It'd only be absolute truth if Telltale confirmed that this i

• But Omid is a different name than e.g. James. It's not a name that every other person has, not even in Persia, and definitley not in the USA. I'm certain that Omid was a name picked with the team fully knowing what it means. And it's also not really stretching anything. Omid is dead. Hope is dead. That would be too much of a coincidence to just blame it on stretching things. It makes sense, it sets the tone of the Season, it was definitley a conscious decision by the writers.

But thats exactly what I'm talking about - you can do this with any character. It'd only be absolute truth if Telltale confirmed that this i

• Okay but I'm fairly certain that Omid died with his name meaning in mind. I think I remember telltale referring to his death as the death of hope which directly relates to his name. Sometimes name meaning is taken into consideration you know.

One thing I think was interesting was that Jack means God is Gracious and Timothy means to Honor God. In borderlands, Handsome Jack views himself as a god, and Timothy Lawrence was a character meant to be molded in jack's image. That's another area that I don't think the creators overlooked name meaning when choosing Tim's name.

People are just pointing out interesting facts and speculating because it can happen. No need to shut them down so unnecessarily.

• But the idea that Telltale name there characters after specific attributes they have is entirely speculation and not fact, which really belongs in another thread in my opinion.

Why are you fairly certain of that? We have no particular cause to be, and it's certainly not a useful contribution. It's like saying 'I'm fairly certain telltale wanted us to choose kenny'.

LoseMyHome posted: »

Okay but I'm fairly certain that Omid died with his name meaning in mind. I think I remember telltale referring to his death as the death of

• edited March 2016

During the first two days of the apocalypse, society was still running relatively well, because the walkers had mainly taken over the countryside and some sub-urban neighborhoods. We know that as Lee and the police officer had no idea about the outbreak, but they crashed a walker as soon as they left Atlanta.

That means Clementine was held up on her treehouse with a hammer, a walkie-talkie, probably a coloring book, juice boxes and snacks, when she was supposed to be at school. Her parents were obviously in Savannah, and Sandra died very early on, so Mrs Moore had no way of knowing what happened. In the unlikely chance that one of her classmates or teachers survived, they probably remember Clementine as the first kid who died.

Edit: Corrected some typos. Don't judge me; I had just woken up, LOL.

• edited March 2016

On a related note, Mrs Moore might be named after The Walking Dead's lead character designer, Steven Moore.

During the first two days of the apocalypse, society was still running relatively well, because the walkers had mainly taken over the countr

• edited March 2016

I just said why. Like what I and epicmustachguy said, Omid is a very particular name that means hope, and his death at the beginning if the game symbolizes the death of hope. This isn't an accident or a huge stretch like all of your examples, telltale did this with his name and character in mind. You are trying to make comparisons between things that aren't the same at all.

And it technically is a fact that Rashid means "rightly guided", whether telltale intended it or not. My point is it's still interesting to know and think about which is why I think it's fine on this thread.

But the idea that Telltale name there characters after specific attributes they have is entirely speculation and not fact, which really belo

• enter image description here

And Siddiq means "truthful" this might mean something in the future.

• (?) Truthful will remember that.

• @LeeForeverett I believe you that it means truthful. I didn't know whether you were saying that as a way to sarcastically mock my comment.

ZapThroat posted: »

No seriously, it is.

• Edit: Corrected some typos. Don't judge me; I had just woken up, LOL.

Maybe it would've been better if you'd stayed asleep, BetterToSleep. ;p

During the first two days of the apocalypse, society was still running relatively well, because the walkers had mainly taken over the countr

• Dang it, this is the third person who makes a pun out of my name, haha!

In case you don't know, No Going Back was originally going to be called Better To Sleep. I figured it was a nice figurative name, so I decided to take it as username. I don't actually like to sleep.

sialark posted: »

Edit: Corrected some typos. Don't judge me; I had just woken up, LOL. Maybe it would've been better if you'd stayed asleep, BetterToSleep. ;p

• No I wasn't ^^ I feel like episodic games developers sometimes give the characters a name according to their character traits.

@LeeForeverett I believe you that it means truthful. I didn't know whether you were saying that as a way to sarcastically mock my comment.

• I actually heard of that Arabic name a while back. Can't be sure where.

And Siddiq means "truthful" this might mean something in the future.

• emilybuckshotemilybuckshot Former Telltale Staff

I know that meaning is definitely something the Telltale writers consider when naming characters. As for the names of Telltale-created characters*, I wasn't in the initial writer's rooms where most of these characters were developed, so I honestly don't know.

*Michonne, Siddiq, & Pete are canon comics characters created & named by Robert Kirkman

I will try to be as honest as possible. I was in the middle of writing a comment in which I had explained how several of the character's

• You are so freaking awesome, Emily!

I know that meaning is definitely something the Telltale writers consider when naming characters. As for the names of Telltale-created chara

• Thanks for replying and clearing it up. I went on a comment spree like 30 sec after I finished the episode and was a bit emotional.

Kinda wish you guys posted here more, but a wish is a wish

It's all good. "Fan rage" is an infectious disease that affects us all from time to time (even people who work in videogames!). We're cool.

• I preferred Better To Sleep rather than No Going Back. Even though No Going Back is a better fit...sigh.

Dang it, this is the third person who makes a pun out of my name, haha! In case you don't know, No Going Back was originally going to be

• I understand you on a spiritual level.

NOHATCLEM posted: »

I preferred Better To Sleep rather than No Going Back. Even though No Going Back is a better fit...sigh.

• Rashid is a new street fighter character.

pr0dz posted: »

I actually heard of that Arabic name a while back. Can't be sure where.

• Not gonna lie, I thought it was Vernon when I first saw him.

Poogers555 posted: »

Plot twist, its Vernon

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Well, that explains it then

Rashid took off to kick M Bison's ass

Rashid is a new street fighter character.

• edited March 2016

So you mean his name would be Carver Jr? That's not how names work.

• edited March 2016

Yeah, it would be William "Bill" Junior, actually. Carver was his last-name.

Edit: Well crap, scrap Bill from that sentence. I don't know how names work either.

edited March 2016

ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS USE HIS FIRST NAME, CJ

• Harry Potter.

• Y'know, it's BetterToSleep than to wake up and make typos.

• Too bad that didn't happen in S2 :(

It's almost as if your choices matter and so characters treat you differently depending on what you've chosen... wink

• edited March 2016

Berto's dialogue to Michonne during the start of In Too Deep could possibly be foreshadowing for Monroe being burned down, now that we know it because of the promotional image.

I don't wanna die like that. Sorry, I've just seen a lot of bad shit go down. I don't wanna see this… fall apart, you know? I've seen better places than this get torn to shreds.

Another detail I noticed is that both Monroe and Howe's Hardware have an area on higher ground—Norma's ship and terrace, and Carver's office, respectively—in which their leaders spend their time and look at the residents. This could be taken symbolically, meaning that both of them are constantly watching over their communities.

edited March 2016

enter image description here

Anything about Zachary seem a little bit off to you?

Yep, he's missing two fingers.

If you're anything like me, you probably haven't realized this until now, either.

• Damn, nice find. I didn't know about this either.

Deltino posted: »

Anything about Zachary seem a little bit off to you? Yep, he's missing two fingers. If you're anything like me, you probably haven't realized this until now, either.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.