Does this game really deserve the hate?

Ok so I played MCSM and it's not that bad. But then I looked at comments from Youtube videos, Steam reviews, and looked at the older posts on this forum. People are just hating on this game like it doesn't deserve to exist. They are saying things like "I forgot this crap existed" or "this game is a disgrace" or even "this game is a cash grab". One comment that got me was on a Steam review and it said "Adding the story as dlc after we pay for the game, screw this." Well guess what? TWD had a 400 days DLC and no one complained about that. I don't know why people are doing this but it's not right. It doesn't deserve the hate. What do you guys think?

Comments

• it does get alot of hate, to be honest the 1st and 2nd episode is actually agreeable to have the hate, the first episode probably being one of the worst no wonder people think the whole of mine craft is bad as most judged by the 1st or even 2nd episode, but 3 and up the game is much better and does not deserve the hate, especially not right now. also alot of the hate doesnt even come from the game, its from people who havnt even played the game and are just angry that mc is getting episodes and not them.

• also alot of the hate doesnt even come from the game, its from people who havnt even played the game and are just angry that mc is getting episodes and not them.

Yea I think what they want is TWAU S2 or that they think that MCSM is delaying TWD S3.

NorthStars posted: »

it does get alot of hate, to be honest the 1st and 2nd episode is actually agreeable to have the hate, the first episode probably being one

• Most of the best games, shows, and movies actually are the worst in the beginning or in the first episodes.

• edited July 2016

yes both actually, I remember reading though that TT staff is very large to work on all games so its not delaying any other game for mc to be getting the most episodes right now although people still think it is, I am waiting for TWD S3 but Im not complaining about mc getting more episodes because I actually tried PLAYING minecraft so I have no complaints.

Menofthe214 posted: »

also alot of the hate doesnt even come from the game, its from people who havnt even played the game and are just angry that mc is getting e

• Because MCSM is rated PG 10+, people are turned off by it for being a "kid's game," and therefore want to act more mature by hating on it, somehow...it doesn't work, though.

• edited July 2016

Well, the first episode and the second are bad, but the rest is good. Idek why people still hate it. Is this because u need to buy the episodes? I think so.

• I want TWAU s2 but I still like MCSM.

Menofthe214 posted: »

also alot of the hate doesnt even come from the game, its from people who havnt even played the game and are just angry that mc is getting e

• I agree. I don't think it deserves that much hate. The new episodes are getting better and better

• Well there are a small portion that do actually affect what happens in between the episode

• It doesn't deserve the hate. While Episode 1 and 2 weren't the best, it keeps getting better as it goes and the dialogue actually grows more mature and less cringey. Episode 5 and the Adventure Pack benefit a lot of telling a self-contained story that is loosely connected.

As some other forum members has pointed out, I think Minecraft: Story Mode is a experimenting testing ground for Telltale. Because of the open freedom of the setting, it gives them an excuse to explore other genres of stories as well as trying out new stuff. The experience and the (honest and mature) feedback will give them new ideas in the future for both licenced games and original IP.

• edited July 2016

Have to disagree with you there. In episode 5 choosing to help Ivor takes you to an entire new location with different dialogue options, events, and even characters, Episode 6...yeah I'll agree with you on the lack of choices, but choosing to save one character over the other is pretty interesting, and episode 7 has the choice to save Lukas or Petra from mind control which adds different dialogue which is a welcome addition. Can't forget Ivor's potion collection which gives you different ways to maneuver through an action sequence and the potion you chose in episode 5 not being available.

Say what you want, but the "illusion" of choice is still very much present in Story Mode.

• Nah. Most people judge it harshly just because it's Minecraft without even playing it.

• I've seen some Minecraft players who even hate this game

Pipas posted: »

Nah. Most people judge it harshly just because it's Minecraft without even playing it.

• Nope, anyone who hates this game is just Jealous because they will never be great developers like telltale.
    This game does not deserve hate, my advice is not to listen to the trolls.

Jesse: I am sure Lukas didn't mean that.
    Me: I meant what I said.

:3

• Does it deserve criticism, yes, but it does not deserve the amount of hate it has gotten. Some of it is from ill-informed people who don't realize that the making of this game has no affect on the development of other games, and thus, take their anger out on Minecraft. Some of it does stem from the fact that it's Minecraft, and others maybe just don't like the story and/or characters.

• edited July 2016

Double post

• Can we all agree the game doesn't deserve the hate!?!
    Or agree to disagree?

• edited August 2016

I think that not, and the people that hates this game I think they hate it for being "fun" or because they don't think that there are people that like the game.

• edited July 2016

i know if i say yes it deserves hate im gonna get a bunch of replies from 12 year old SJW's so no it doesn't deserve hate it is very good game

• It wouldn't just be 12 year olds. People of different ages too.

Duck_Hunt posted: »

i know if i say yes it deserves hate im gonna get a bunch of replies from 12 year old SJW's so no it doesn't deserve hate it is very good game

• edited July 2016

The thing is people don't realize is without the money mcsm makes from people that enjoy the game other games from telltale that haters of mcsm like might not be good. For example let's say mcsm ep 7 made about $20,00 (I know they could make more or less but I'm just guessing) then when they make the walking dead season 3 the people at telltale have to pay the voice actors the animators and everyone who helped with the episode and where will they get that money from their other projects in this case minecraft so without mcsm other series might not be as good.

• It doesn't deserve hate at all, just as many things, but it is not above criticism. The problem is, some people on the internet tend to blur the line between "Criticism" and "Being a fucking douchebag".

• Not all reviews for Episodes 1 and 2 are bad. Episode 1 received an 8.25 from GameInformer, the highest score in the series. Episode 5 was the worst at 7.

• For something else? Or do you think it deserves the hate

Absolutely not.

• It absolutely does not deserve any of the hate it gets. This has, just because of Episodes 5, 6 and 7, become one of my favorite Telltale games, probably in my top 3.

My top 3 would be this, Tales from the Borderlands and the first season of The Walking Dead.

• Wow. That is bad.

enter link description here ...Pretty fucking bad.

• edited August 2016

Most of the hate stems from idiots on Steam not understanding how DLC and pricing works. The game itself is $24.99, like $5 per episode, right? So Telltale added 3 more episodes, at the same price, but these people are like "bluuuh make it for free because reasonse", and it's seriously infuriating.

As someone who never has, and only MIGHT try Minecraft thanks to the Mario update, this game is really amazing! Sure, it's not TOP NOTCH, but it is still amazing and good fun in its own right, and the fact that it's aimed at children does nothing to hurt the quality of the game. The deaths of certain characters hurt right in the feels, the Witherstorm was terrifying inside and out, the characters are pretty well-written, and Jesse is a pretty good protagonist, my 2nd favorite after Ethan.

This game doesn't deserve the hate launched at it. It's ridiculous.

• I was responding to the thread title.

ASaltLick posted: »

For something else? Or do you think it deserves the hate

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

my 2nd favorite after Ethan

Exactly what Ethan are we referring to here

fayescarlet posted: »

Most of the hate stems from idiots on Steam not understanding how DLC and pricing works. The game itself is $24.99, like $5 per episode, rig

• Ah.

I was responding to the thread title.

• Not this game does not deserve the hate, everyone is judging Minecraft because of bad graphics and lack of story. But story mode is different, as it has a story and it is more good looking. People just hate Minecraft story mode because they think it's like Minecraft and they haven't even played Minecraft story mode or even Minecraft the game!

• I just played episode 1 yesterday of MCSM. This game is kinda fun, it grabs all of attention into this game.. I will finish this game as soon as possible.

• It is unfortunate that there are younger audiences and perhaps those not as well versed in the actual business of the game industry to realize that not every developer work in a linear method and often by working on multiple franchises can either be done by different teams or staggering the workload so that artists, composers, writers, etc. have less downtime. MCS was admittedly not my favorite IP since I have not played Minecraft in years but I also trust Telltale to make the right decisions as a business and artists on what they think will be successful so that they can keep bringing other IPs I do like. Also, in the end, both MCS and Tales from the Borderlands were surprisingly more enjoyable than I thought they would be.

it does get alot of hate, to be honest the 1st and 2nd episode is actually agreeable to have the hate, the first episode probably being one

• After episode 1 and 2, it's super fun

joy12327 posted: »

I just played episode 1 yesterday of MCSM. This game is kinda fun, it grabs all of attention into this game.. I will finish this game as soon as possible.

• Telltale has a history of being understaffed and having that get in the way of release dates, which is what screwed TWAU over. It seems that they've expanded, but we can't really know what's going on over there for sure. This game COULD have resulted in delays for all we know.

yes both actually, I remember reading though that TT staff is very large to work on all games so its not delaying any other game for mc to b

• Yeah it does, its garbage. Telltale should have made a second season of TWAU or hell another interesting new IP would be cool but nope instead we get shitty Minecraft

Sign in to comment in this discussion.