Who here is thinking about quitting videogames all together, and why?

Comments

• ...I don't know.

Karnedg2013 posted: »

What are You want, Mr?

• If they have had a positive impact, they would changed a lot of people for the better. going to the sub-forum theater, you will not see this. After all, almost everything in this world there are things where there is a part of good and bad. And games such as Telltale as best to in any way harm . Because it is in their games a person puts himself in the place of the player and what he chooses to do.

And decide who to kill, who cut off arm and teach that murder of the good - it is good, and more. So if in a video game 70% good, 30% bad but, the person who loves evil will likely learn more bad than good. Every thing learned something. Good or bad. So I do not think any videogame useful thing. Like candy or ice cream. Yes, it's nice, but they do not provide any benefit.

Acheive250 posted: »

I do not believe a video game has the power to change you into a bad person, unless you are too young to be playing those games or you alrea

• Good Bye

...I don't know.

• I've had periods of time up to like a month or two where I didn't play any video games at all, but not once have I ever thought of quitting all together. I don't play as much as when I was younger and I don't buy as many games so money isn't really a problem for me.

• Hello.

Good Bye

• Stop It xD

Hello.

• Hey, you started it.

Stop It xD

• Narnia is a good book? How is Narnia a good book, it's boring to hell.

Anyways, so you barely play games, don't watch TV and only read books that supposedly is good for you (in your meaning). Do you go to the cinema then, and watches some nice movies?

If not, what the fuck are you doing in your spare time?

No, I do not watch TV. Books- not a waste of time. The bad and foolish books - a waste of time. I try to just read the good and wise. The Chronicles of Narnia, for example.

• And I'm finished.

Hey, you started it.

• Are you, though? ;)

And I'm finished.

• No need to be rude. I try to engage in useful things. I also plan to find a job.
    That's really good to do it:
    Domestic help parents - it's good. And a walk with your friends, read spiritual literature.
    And one more thing. Narnia - fantastic book. A great sense of confrontation between good and evil are incorporated in this series. Therefore, it is interesting for both children and adults. I'm strongly recommend that you read all 7 books carefully - you will not regret. Just need all the time to look for the hidden meaning. But well one thing - read will not be bored :)

Narnia is a good book? How is Narnia a good book, it's boring to hell. Anyways, so you barely play games, don't watch TV and only read bo

• What're You mean ;)

Are you, though?

• Yes.

What're You mean

• I don't get It.
    Translate me, please.

Yes.

• No.

I don't get It. Translate me, please.

• edited November 2016

But many tests have proven that videogames are beneficial.

And killing someone in a video game is nothing like killing someone in real life. (At least I think so... I've never killed in real life) But with technology becoming more advanced, videogames are becoming more realistic, which I agree is a worry.

I see violence all the time in videogames, but when I saw violence in real life a couple of days ago, I found it very shocking and upsetting.

But again, a kid playing something like GTA is just wrong, and might influence violent behavior, but a grown adult should be able to tell the difference.

And also, the killing in TWD is almost always in self-defense, and chopping his arm off was an attempt to save his life, they weren't torturing him.

Do you honestly believe that all videogames are a waste of time? Even if the line between good and evil was very clear?

Also, videogames have changed many people for the better, including me.

Also, I'm very sorry for all the edits, but we're sort of going off topic here.

If they have had a positive impact, they would changed a lot of people for the better. going to the sub-forum theater, you will not see this

• edited November 2016

I have to admit that it's very unusual to find someone who has the same opinion as I do on such an issue.

Another thing that kind of got me thinking about not playing video games all together, and probably eventually unsubscribing from this website, is the fact that I think about people who lived before we had all this technological crap.

For thousands of years, people got along just fine without things like the internet, or videogames, or TV, or any other this stuff that we have now. They didn't need any of it in order to live a happy and fulfilling life.

So it got me to thinking about how much more fulfilling my life could be, and how much better my time could be spent, if I started by giving up playing videogames.

As you said, "videogames don't add any value to your life". If anything they actually hinder you from having a life. Because what you basically get to do when you play videogames, and it is really the same thing when it comes to watching a movie, is that you get to just sit there and watch someone else having a life, while yours passes you by.

And as I already stated that "at the end of the day memories are all we have. And what kind of memories do you want to have to look back on?"

The average person only gets to live for about 77 years, so with that said, with the time that you have left, how do you want to use it?

This reminds of something that Benjamin Franklin said: "Do you love life? Then don't waste time, a as that's the stuff that life is made of."

Use time wisely, and don't let it use you.

And if I may add one more thing, I'm happen to notice some of your responses to some of the other users who happen to disagree with what you said.

And if I may make a friendly suggestion, don't even bother. Why? Because quite frankly you're not going to convince anyone of anything, especially if they already have something firmly fixed in their mind.

With that being said, my whole purpose in making this thread was just to see if anyone else felt the same way that I did. It wasn't to try to convince anyone of any particular thing.

The way I personally see it is that people are going to believe whatever they choose to believe, and do whatever it is they choose to do.

And it does me absolutely no good to argue with others about what they believe or worried about what they're going to do, because I have absolutely no control over them.

The only person I can control is myself. And the only life I can live is mine, and that's why I don't worry too much about the other person. Just look out for yourself, because nobody else will.

Such wise word! Good job, Mr! I'm very agree with It. Games do not bring anything useful, as soon as the take away our time, that you hav

• edited November 2016

Ironically, there have actually been research done on this. Video gaming is actually a cheap hobby when compared to other hobbies. Definitely when compared to smoking/drinking habits. Unless someone is going insanely over board of course. A moderately good PC is under $1000USD for example which should be a long term 4-6+ year investment. Games can be as cheap as $5-60$ each on PC.

Gaming today is actually considerably cheaper than it was during the 1980s and 1990s. When compared to average income, and inflation and such.

MichaelBP posted: »

1: Saving Money.

• Yeah, I just felt like using that gif of Noctis for something.

But yeah, gaming is a cheaper hobby when compared to some other hobbies and habits. You don't need to go overboard on a gaming PC, you can get a decent one for far less than a 1000$ that easily beats the standard PS4 and XB1, heck you could do that for like 400-500 nowadays, and a PC will always be more useful thanks to the additional features and for work. Just watch the videos on the Potato Masher PC, a 375$ PC that in most games beats the PS4 and XB1.

And if you fancy consoles more because of being easier to use (not as true nowadays because of the huge ass patches and the fact you have to pay to play online), then I'd say the PS4 Pro would be a good choice. For 100$ more than 500GB Slim and 50$ than the 1TB model, you get a console that runs circles around the PS4 and XB1 combined (at least in terms of GPU power). Outside of exclusives, it has great western 3rd party dev support (well prerty much the same as XB1) and it has far better japanese 3rd party dev support, compared to the XB1 (though PC would probably still come out on top, in this regard). You also don't need a 4K TV, because games will be effectively supersampled, leading to far, far better IQ.

Kameraden posted: »

Ironically, there have actually been research done on this. Video gaming is actually a cheap hobby when compared to other hobbies. Definit

• I am very glad that you are a human man. True.
    But still, I stand by my opinion. Games generate more waste of time. Better to spend your time for a walk with friends and help someone.

But many tests have proven that videogames are beneficial. And killing someone in a video game is nothing like killing someone in real li

• I love You!
    Really.
    Amazing words.
    I agree with everything. I will not write a lot, because the English - not my language, so I'm sorry for the mistakes.
    I would not have come to this understanding myself, if not the Bible. It changed my life. That's why I do not want to spend my time here in the forum. It just takes it. Third Season "TWD" - is my only temptation from which I could not resist, because Clementine is also a positive effect on my life. I will not be on the forum for some time after the release of the first episode. I'll go right up to June, and only at that time will released whole season after completion.

I also wanted to tell you thanks for creating good Christian topics in this forum. This may reflect a little bit of people over their lives. It is a pity to see how things react negatively and people don't see the truth in simple words.
    Thank you, brother. I always liked it. You should know, even if one person will change - your efforts are not in vain :)

P.S. You will want to talk to me - write at any time in PM.

Kenny/Lee posted: »

I have to admit that it's very unusual to find someone who has the same opinion as I do on such an issue. Another thing that kind of got

• I'm sorry if I sounded rude, apologies.

Yes, having a job is very important, but that doesn't mean that you can incorporate playing games or doing other things of course.

I work, I'm with my friends quite a lot. Usually havin' a good time by watching some TV-Series or playing a good game with them or by myself. Helping parents in their need as well. It's all about how much you plan to do certain things.

I'm actually going out with a couple of friends on Wednesday to watch Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them. It all depends on what you are doing with your friends, and I fully understand, appreciate and respect your opinion.

No need to be rude. I try to engage in useful things. I also plan to find a job. That's really good to do it: Domestic help parents - it's

• Everything is fine. I appreciate your understanding. It is good that you are one of those people who help parents and spend time with friends. Important to properly dispose of their opinions and not let video games and movies to take too much of your time.

I'm sorry if I sounded rude, apologies. Yes, having a job is very important, but that doesn't mean that you can incorporate playing games

• im not gonna lie, its true. but what i ususally do is wait for the game i was "excited" about and watch the replays and reviews of the game. if its interesting then ill buy it if it isnt then not. i usually wait a year after the game has been up, becuase then ill buy it ceaper andhave more information about the game and dont need to download annoying updates all the time. I go to school from 8:30 AM to 18:00 PM and i always find ways to have time for homework, friends and videogames. i usually play 1 hour a night and on the weedend i play 3 hours which is enough for me.

• Better to spend your time for a walk with friends and help someone.

I definitely agree with you there.

Let's stop here though.

I am very glad that you are a human man. True. But still, I stand by my opinion. Games generate more waste of time. Better to spend your time for a walk with friends and help someone.

• edited November 2016

Well, video games are not a waste of my money, because I only wait for extreme discounts for games I absolutely want. I got all three bioshock games for $15, and all three borderlands games (minus tales) for $25, including all of the sequel's DLC. The only games I am ever willing to spend full price on are telltale games, because they are usually at a reasonable price, I want the game right away, and I want to support the developers.

As for a time waster, that's something I've been contemplating myself recently. But I've found as long as I balance my hobbies during the week - spend some time writing or playing guitar or drawing - I don't view playing a video game as much of a waste because I am still fulfilled outside off it and I can justify my relax time.

The only thing I am ashamed of is how much time I've clocked in Skyrim...

• Only games I really play nowadays is Fifa and ocassional replays of Walking Dead season 1, 2 and 400 days. Still on Xbox 360, haven't even really thought about uprgading to next gen. You could say i've half given up on videogames already I guess. If it wasn't for Fifa online then I would have no reason to even have Xbox live. Sometimes a free game would pop up on the Marketplace and i'll check it out for the sole reason that it's free. So many games that I have no interest in completing.

• TellTale...and Mass Effect X-com...all I need.

• Sure. Thanks.

Better to spend your time for a walk with friends and help someone. I definitely agree with you there. Let's stop here though.

• Running out of money and tokens would be really shitty in that scenario.

Deltino posted: »

How would you know? What if we all go to a giant arcade in the sky when we die?

• edited November 2016

Why would you quit gaming altogether ? Gaming is actually a cheap hobby. If you buy a $20 game every now and then, that's already much cheaper than sporting equipment, gym passes, a skateboard, etc.

• Nope not quitting. I have the money, the time, and replay value is subjective.

• i rarely play video games. ive grown out of it. i just cant find time to play between school and hanging out with friends. i play 1-2 game a year.

• video games became too time consuming, and being female most are very difficult for me to identify with the male characters that are, for the majority of games up until I quit playing about three years ago, were the only option. I found a no-comment youtube gaming site that gave me more walking dead when I couldn't wait for the next season, as I only have Netflix and they are a season behind the previous season finale airing. I love tell-tales story telling gameplay and its engaging enough that I can watch the gameplay without actually playing the game. not as time consuming as actually playing (because the youtube channel I watch keeps the decisions quick and goes directly to hidden objects without taking time searching) and it is just as satisfying to me as watching an entertaining movie, or mini-series. Yes, I am a video game watcher. who knew that could be a thing? keep up the entertaining tell tale. btw, I've only watched the walking dead tell tale games, and I'm not happy with the long wait. Now I don't have any new TWD any more :( ps. Clem having to make that last choice between friends in the end of season two really sucked, but life can suck, and it will be interesting to see what happens in season three.

• ♫ And you, ask me why I like to play
    I got to get my kicks some way ♫

• This thread sure sounds like my girlfriend.. Anne, is that you????

• Maybe not quitting all together. Just playing less than before. I used to play video games all the time, but now hardly do. As for saving money, you could always just buy used games or rent them for cheap. That's what I do.

• I don't think that I will ever stop gaming entirely. It is a hobby that I've loved for years. I disagree with all of your points. I've been gaming for many years and yet I've only ever spent $60 on one game and that game was Grand Theft Auto V. I once preferred buying one $20 game every blue moon. I don't buy Xbox Gold anymore as I don't like online gaming anymore. I mainly play TT games, RPGS, Deadrising, Rockband Blitz, and Rockband 3 nowadays. I'm now 23, I'm planning my career, and with a fiance, I rarely game anymore. The time argument is invalid as unless you are benefitting humanity or travelling the world, you are wasting time. Low replay value doesn't bother me. Mass Effect is a series that you can play multiple times, yet I played the series once and lived with my choices that I made. I can play Dead Rising and Rockband over and over though. If you enjoyed the game the first time that is all that matters. I played Bioshock Infinite once and I really loved the game. I'm still only on Xbox 360, though this Christmas I will be upgrading to Xbox One.

• Then I could also give up books and movies ;). I love good storytelling on every level. So I would never give up the chance for another good story.

• I am glad to hear that you have a social life, and that you are working hard in school.
    Those are the things you should be focusing on!

abattoir posted: »

i rarely play video games. ive grown out of it. i just cant find time to play between school and hanging out with friends. i play 1-2 game a year.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.