Your First DVD

edited April 2007 in General Chat
What was the first DVD you ever Bought/Owned

Mine was either Rush Hour of U-571. I remember being excited to see how clear the picture was. I loved the animated menus too.

I remember saving up to buy a dvd player when they were still pretty new. I paid $300 for my rca player. I still have it and it still works really well. It's a far cry from what dvd players are sold for now. I bought a second one for the bedroom a few months ago for $30. It's a cheap as hell one, but it still works.

Comments

• edited December 2006
    My first one was The Toxic Avenger, which I bought a couple of years before I even bought a dvd-player.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2006
    I think it was either One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, or Austin Powers. My first DVD player was my Mac G3 desktop.
  • edited December 2006
    Enemy of the State.

--Erwin
  • MelMel
    edited December 2006
    A Knight's Tale
  • edited December 2006
    I can't remember. It might have been Cool Hand Luke.
  • edited December 2006
    Dragnet :)
  • edited December 2006
    My first DVD player was a Sony Playstation 2, and I think my first DVD was Monty Python & the Holy Grail. Although it might have been Gladiator, instead. I don't have a very extensive DVD collection, though. Just a few of my favorites.
  • edited December 2006
    It was either Clerks or Fight Club. I too experienced DVD on my PS2 first.

Since then I've gravitated more towards tv series boxsets
  • edited December 2006
    'Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior'
  • edited December 2006
    green mile
  • edited December 2006
    mine was 'the smiths' - the complete picture. my how my taste has changed! :p
  • MatMat
    edited January 2007
    mars attacks.
  • edited January 2007
    My first was the DVD re-release of Willow. Ive always loved that story. The sequel trilogy (novel) were great too (probably largely thanks to chris clairmont :D )
  • edited January 2007
    apignarb wrote: »
    My first one was The Toxic Avenger, which I bought a couple of years before I even bought a dvd-player.

GREAT MOVIE !
    apart from that, i don't have a dvd player and i'm too lazy to watch films on the computer.
  • edited January 2007
    Saving Private Ryan
  • edited January 2007
    The Back to the Furure Trilogy. On my good old AMD machine ;)
  • edited January 2007
    I think it was the Wallace & Gromit-collection, and that must have been eight years ago or something like that. Still have it. :)
  • edited January 2007
    rush hour 2..there was a limited selection in the shop at the time :|
  • edited January 2007
    Dark Angel DVD-Box set, man I was stupid!
  • edited January 2007
    It was Alice in Wonderland... From a Cereals Box ;)
  • edited January 2007
    I think mine was 'O Brother Were Art Thou'

I won it and it was free.
  • edited February 2007
    A great movie! I have almost every Coen brothers movie in my humble collection. I watch them often.

--Erwin
  • edited February 2007
    I think my first DVD was The Matrix.

Wow, that was a long time ago.
  • edited February 2007
    I bought both American Beauty and Fight Club in the same outing. I was a punk ass kid.

I think my first PS2 game was a more interesting story, as I bought ICO without actually having a PS2 to play it on. I was led to believe the game was damn near impossible to track down, so I just sortof bought it without much prospect of actually getting to play it, and it kinda sat on my shelf for two years or so.
  • edited February 2007
    I think it was Dune. Either Dune or Herkules in New York, Arnolds first film as far as I know. Besides its amazing story you get a dubbed Arnold and John Candy in a small role.
  • edited February 2007
    No idea..maybe The Lion King though. Love that movie.
  • edited February 2007
    Erwin wrote: »
    A great movie! I have almost every Coen brothers movie in my humble collection. I watch them often.

--Erwin

I just wish they would do some commentary - Especially for the Big Lebowski (how many editions of that movie are they going to release on DVD???)
  • edited April 2007
    First DVD was The Matrix, and I bought a Sony component DVD player for just that DVD alone. I then bought movies slowly, but my collection has since grown to around 450 titles, and I now have more DVD players than I know what to do with.

I am a movie nerd, and a DVD freak. And just to be clear, none of my movies are burned, that feels wrong to me. I do have two movies that are burned copies, someone gave them to me, but I do not count them as part of my collection. They are like the red-headed step child of my beautiful family.
  • edited April 2007
    My first DVD was Demolition Man, due to that reason its still the masterpiece of my collection.
  • edited April 2007
    My first was Das Boot, I love that movie.

I remember when my Dad got it, and I remember being too young to understand why we needed to play movies on "CDs" when our VCR worked just fine. :)
  • edited April 2007
    The matrix.. the first one.. sequals were lame :(
  • edited April 2007
    My first was Braveheart, my second was The Patriot, and my third was V for Vengeance. :D
  • edited April 2007
    naked gun, of course :) I bought the entire series as soon as I got a dvd player. Of course, I didn't buy the dvd player to watch those movies. I bought the dvd player since it was so cheap, and then I went out to find some movies I could watch on it :)
  • edited April 2007
    I'm embarrased to say that I can't name the title of my first DVD here :eek:
    (Hey, I didn't have an internet connection alright :p)
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2007
    First player was a PS2, I think my first DVD was The Matrix.
  • edited April 2007
    I can't remember.
  • edited April 2007
    uh, yeah... me too! funny, I don't know why I can't remember my first DVD. I do remember my first CD-Audio: a compilation of disco songs; and my first CD-Data: Sound Blaster 1.0 (8-bit!) with Dr. SBaitso in it aaand first CDROM: Creative 1x speed with a tray.

perhaps, imho, that the impression of CD was more extraordinary (unusually strange and wonderful) than that of DVD when it comes out.

oh, and my first LaserDisc is "The Princess Bride". anybody watched this movie? "inconceivable!" heheh ;)
  • edited April 2007
    I remember my first CD, kind of. It was either Duke Nukem 3D, or this demo CD from I think Apogee. I even remember my first 3.5" floppy disk! I think that would have to be my DOS disks. Oh yeah, good times. I still have 'em too. Navigating a primitive text OS, optimizing memory allocation, and playing Wolfenstein 3D and Mechwarrior, woooooo.
  • edited April 2007
    My first DVD player came with three crappy movies, the only one of which I remember is Stepmom. I have the Mr. Bill Classics, though!
  • edited April 2007
    Don't know anymore, but i remember my first Video CD (Hunt for Red October).
Sign in to comment in this discussion.