The Thread of general TWD-related questions

Comments

• ...Good question. I suppose you could argue that he said his piece during the ride and after they crashed, he simply didn't feel like he should say anything after David was bitten.

However, I think the main reason is that his goal behind going with David in the first was to try and talk some sense into him instead of letting what's left of the split-up and risk never speaking to each other again. So in a way he really didn't intend, that goal was accomplished: David makes his peace with Javier and he/Gabe can put him down.

Why did Gabe choose not to speak to a dying David in the ending where Javi goes after them alond?

• Oh, okay. Wow, her 400 Days backstory really was more or less ignored.

Hmm no because she was shot in the shoulder. I'm 99.9% sure that Bonnie was referencing track marks on her arms from shooting up junk.

• edited June 2017

Her. :D

Plus, I had this recurring idea about Gabe either fighting one of the villains head on(Originally Ava perhaps alongside Clementine, later Joan after Thicker than Water) or getting overpowered by one for whatever reason.

That sounds cool! I wish something like that actually happened.
    Honestly, I was hoping Telltale would give him something big to do whether it was in Episode 3,4 or 5, to prove the players that Clementine is not the only great child in that game. When he said that stuff about wanting to be a man, I felt like Telltale had plans for him, but didn't really accomplish them due to a lot of rewrites(considering almost everything was rewritten.) I can actually picture him fighting Badger to avenge his sister. I think it would have been great since he was really affected by her death and also very caring and loving towards her.
    Though in order for him to look cool he has to lose that beanie. :D I wanted to see him without it, dammit!

You know what, I don't care what haters say, Gabe was the best character in Thicker Than Water. He should have also been on the cover of the episode instead of Clementine. End of story.

DabigRG posted: »

Oh, okay. Maybe I'll PM him(her?) and ask if she remembers that. That... would have been awesome. Well it was such a random a

• Idk i think Gabe felt really guilty about getting him killed and couldn't face him.

...Good question. I suppose you could argue that he said his piece during the ride and after they crashed, he simply didn't feel like he sho

• edited June 2017

Double post

...Good question. I suppose you could argue that he said his piece during the ride and after they crashed, he simply didn't feel like he sho

• Yeah only sort of acknowledged and that's determinant. Although wasn't it possible for her to comment on the stolen pills?

Oh, okay. Wow, her 400 Days backstory really was more or less ignored.

• I believe so, though I don't know if she says anything if you save them for Luke.
    I think it was, "Is that Oxy?"

Yeah only sort of acknowledged and that's determinant. Although wasn't it possible for her to comment on the stolen pills?

• That's what I was implying in the first sentence: he thought he could still save him but it failed, so he let's Javier get the last word in instead in part because he probably doesn't feel like he deserve to say goodbye.

Idk i think Gabe felt really guilty about getting him killed and couldn't face him.

• That sounds cool! I wish something like that actually happened.
    Honestly, I was hoping Telltale would give him something big to do whether it was in Episode 3,4 or 5, to prove the players that Clementine is not the only great child in that game.

Yes.

When he said that stuff about wanting to be a man, I felt like Telltale had plans for him, but didn't really accomplish them due to a lot of rewrites(considering almost everything was rewritten.)

Yeah, definitely. For example, remember that whole thing about him becoming his dad? Wasn't really emphasized much, was it?

I can actually picture him fighting Badger to avenge his sister. I think it would have been great since he was really affected by her death and also very caring and loving towards her.

See, that's one of the things he missed out on that I'm mixed about, since while it'd be great to see how he'd react to seeing Badger again, I also like it when the story remembers to leave certain main characters offscreen so other characters get a chance to shine.

Though in order for him to look cool he has to lose that beanie. :D I wanted to see him without it, dammit!

Yeah, seriously--we got fuckin gypped!

You know what, I don't care what haters say, Gabe was the best character in Thicker Than Water.

Agreed, not that he has too much competition.

He should have also been on the cover of the episode instead of Clementine. End of story.

Yeah, I noticed that just last night that Clementine and that-Paul-Guy are on the title screens instead of Gabe and David.

Fangirl101 posted: »

Her. Plus, I had this recurring idea about Gabe either fighting one of the villains head on(Originally Ava perhaps alongside Clementi

• Here's a story-gameplay thing about Season 2's cast: If Clementine is Lee, Luke was originally designed to be Clementine, and Sarah is kinda-sorta her Kenny, what does that make Rebecca, Kenny, and Jane?

• At the risk of seeming racist, is Tripp supposed to be a subversion of the whole Mighty Whitey trope?

• You say some crazy shit sometimes man lol

Here's a story-gameplay thing about Season 2's cast: If Clementine is Lee, Luke was originally designed to be Clementine, and Sarah is kinda-sorta her Kenny, what does that make Rebecca, Kenny, and Jane?

• I guess it would seem that way sometimes.

Still, the Sarah thing is a bit of Fridge Logic and the Luke thing is literally something Telltale themselves said, so I wanted to see what others had to say about it.

You say some crazy shit sometimes man lol

• It was just discovered that some s2 ending dialogues in ANF are overwritten by default Luke lines of you tried to save him in s2e5. What are the implications of this, if Clem would ignore her Kenny/Jane lines to make these random Luke lines?

More importantly, what do these lines even mean in the context of Luke's character?

1. "That's what i get more trusting people... again"
    2. "Sometimes there's no other way to make things right"
  • Are these actual quotes from Clementine? Both sound cringy.

It was just discovered that some s2 ending dialogues in ANF are overwritten by default Luke lines of you tried to save him in s2e5. What are

• Yeah. If you tried saving Luke you get these lines instead of s2 ending determinant lines. I'm trying to make sense of it.

Also the line "You're no dummy, your instincts have been right so far" is a Luke line

Spodes posted: »

Are these actual quotes from Clementine? Both sound cringy.

• Lmao this is one of the most confusing questions I have ever seen. Like one of those questions you see on an exam, spend a few minutes on and then just say "fuck it" and move on to the next question, with the possible intent of returning to it later. I'm gonna need some time to understand the question before I try and answer it.

Here's a story-gameplay thing about Season 2's cast: If Clementine is Lee, Luke was originally designed to be Clementine, and Sarah is kinda-sorta her Kenny, what does that make Rebecca, Kenny, and Jane?

• Yeah I know, it's a bit abstract. It's supposed to be a storytelling device type thing, which can get pretty complicated.

wdfan posted: »

Lmao this is one of the most confusing questions I have ever seen. Like one of those questions you see on an exam, spend a few minutes on an

• I hope we some soon. Wouldn't mind rockin an Ava, a Gabe, or a Max.

Yup, same here! And no more walker avatars because there are lots already. :D

Do you believe more people would have kept Conrad alive if he was voiced by Dave Fennoy? That would've been an amazing case of Playi

• It is indeed a strange question lol, and you do ask some random ass stuff sometimes. But honestly imo they are one of the best things about the forums!

Ok so if Luke was originally intended to be Clementine, was Sarah supposed to be Kenny? Or are you just implying that?

I think that Kenny plays a nearly identical role in both s1 and 2, so I would say Kenny is the Kenny? LOL.

Sarah might be, I dunno maybe more like Duck? But an older version. Maybe more a mix of Duck and Clementine. Just cause her oblivious actions sometimes but she's more unique, tough to make a comparison. She doesn't feel like a Kenny to me though at all.

Rebecca. Hmm, maybe Lilly? She is often on the counter argument and more opposite of a lot of the group. Lilly was very aggressive when Lee's group came into the pharmacy. I think Rebecca softened up a lot more though, and obviously didn't lose her mind the same way as Lilly but their behaviour is semi similar.

For Jane more a mix of Kenny and Molly. Molly's lack of empathy in a lot of situations but Kenny's opinionated nature? Not sure.

I am curious about Luke being the "Clementine" though? Was she supposed to protect him, or guide him, that is something I never knew before.

• edited June 2017

It is indeed a strange question lol, and you do ask some random ass stuff sometimes. But honestly imo they are one of the best things about the forums!

Pretty much the purpose of most of my threads: to provides areas for discussion and thinking outside the box.

Ok so if Luke was originally intended to be Clementine, was Sarah supposed to be Kenny? Or are you just implying that?

I'm just implying that, though I realized that parallel a while back through some roundabout fridge logic.

Sarah might be, I dunno maybe more like Duck? But an older version. Maybe more a mix of Duck and Clementine. Just cause her oblivious actions sometimes but she's more unique, tough to make a comparison.

She's more complex too, though that's not really saying much considering who she's being compared to. That's not to say I don't get why some people would make that comparison, but still.

She doesn't feel like a Kenny to me though at all.

I'll go ahead and link this, though I can explain it another way here if you want.

Rebecca. Hmm, maybe Lilly? She is often on the counter argument and more opposite of a lot of the group. Lilly was very aggressive when Lee's group came into the pharmacy. I think Rebecca softened up a lot more though, and obviously didn't lose her mind the same way as Lilly but their behaviour is semi similar.

Huh. That's actually very good! I never thought about that.

For Jane more a mix of Kenny and Molly. Molly's lack of empathy in a lot of situations but Kenny's opinionated nature? Not sure.

Jane is kind of a mix of a lot of characters, to be honest.

I am curious about Luke being the "Clementine" though? Was she supposed to protect him, or guide him, that is something I never knew before.

Yeah, that was the original idea.

. @bubbledncr : Funny you should say that. In our very early story meetings, we actually said that Luke supposed to be Clementine's Clementine. Granted, our story has had many many iterations over development, but that was his original purpose.

Emmalilly posted: »

It is indeed a strange question lol, and you do ask some random ass stuff sometimes. But honestly imo they are one of the best things about

• Agreed with most of this, especially that Sarah would definitely be Duck. Both need constant watch and are entirely dependant on others to take care of them so it makes sense. Rebecca would be more like Christa than Lilly though for me. Both went through pregnancies and their relationships were both big parts of their storylines.

It is indeed a strange question lol, and you do ask some random ass stuff sometimes. But honestly imo they are one of the best things about

• Do you think Glenn could be Vince's younger brother? They somewhat look alike, within close age of one another and from Macon. Glenn, in the comics never mentions having a brother but reveals he used to steal cars and was in debt. Big brother Vince could have killed someone who was harassing and threatening him for money.

• MrJavaMrJava Banned

Actually, it is possible. I like the idea.

Clemenem posted: »

Do you think Glenn could be Vince's younger brother? They somewhat look alike, within close age of one another and from Macon. Glenn, in the

• Did anyone else have this glitch where you got the error popup when making a post and having to logout to fix it(which finally fixed the notification bug for some reason)?

• No, but when I accessed Telltale Community a minute ago, I was already logged out and had to sign in again. It appears they removed the username for signing in (so you have to know the user's email address to steal their account), and now the button for my profile says "my account" which brings me to the "My Games" section.

Did anyone else have this glitch where you got the error popup when making a post and having to logout to fix it(which finally fixed the notification bug for some reason)?

• Yeah, I noticed that too.

Spodes posted: »

No, but when I accessed Telltale Community a minute ago, I was already logged out and had to sign in again. It appears they removed the user

• In 400 Days, if Nate had a loaded gun why did he spend the time trying to struggle to pull Eddie/Wyatt out of the car? He could have just shot them

• Cause he's a demented, psychotic asshole, that's why.

Clemenem posted: »

In 400 Days, if Nate had a loaded gun why did he spend the time trying to struggle to pull Eddie/Wyatt out of the car? He could have just shot them

• edited June 2017

Repeats from my investment thread

Where do you draw the line between obvious writing choices and logical conclusions where characters are concerned?
    Do you think the Walking Dead's writers struggle with this distinction often or at least recently?
    What are some examples of this?

Do you think the writers fully know a general idea what they want a character to be when they create/write them or do you think are afraid to define them to much in case plans change?

What constitutes depth?

I sometimes got the vibe that it's easier to write for a brand spankin' new character than a pre-established one because there's a lot more freedom with what you can do compared to one that has already been developed. Do you agree with this or due you think it's a misconception and/or has exceptions to the rule?

• @DabigRG can you try to translate the newly found Luke lines for ANF? How do these 3 or so quotes fit into the context of Luke's character and why are Luke's quotes given priority over every other s2 ending line? I tagged you because I dont know anyone more qualified except @Dont_look_back so please help me understand sir

• edited June 2017

If you want to summon someone, you have to put a period and a space if it's at the beginning of a sentence.
    . @VengefulKenny
    Anyway, I'll try to look at them and think about the context when I get the chance.

@DabigRG can you try to translate the newly found Luke lines for ANF? How do these 3 or so quotes fit into the context of Luke's character a

• Thanks for the info let me know your findings

If you want to summon someone, you have to put a period and a space if it's at the beginning of a sentence. . @VengefulKenny Anyway, I'll try to look at them and think about the context when I get the chance.

• For the record, I usually try not to do in depth analysis about anything regarding ANF since most of it was rewritten or just shoehorned in but I'll do my best.

It was just discovered that some s2 ending dialogues in ANF are overwritten by default Luke lines of you tried to save him in s2e5. What are the implications of this,if Clem would ignore her Kenny/Jane lines to make these random Luke lines?

Just brainstorming here, but the only reason I could think up as to why Clem would say her Luke lines that immediately replace Kenny or Jane lines might be due to Luke simply not doing anything to put Clementine in immediate/direct danger, as Jane and Kenny have. Making him, I dont know, a more trust worthy "mentor" that she trusts and the last memories that she has of him arent of him going batshit crazy fighting with someone else, but instead died a tragic death he in no way deserved, and Clem knows this. With Kenny and Jane there were many instances where they made her distrust them. Here are a couple:

1. While Kenny is beating Arvo he can accidentally hit Clemetnine. I know it was an accident and she believes this as well, but it happened regardless.
    2. Kenny can say some extremely harsh words towards her and pins Sarita's death on Clementine. "You think just because you're a little girl you can get people killed? That's not how it works!"
    3. Kenny's dwindling temper and the whole group treating him as a ticking unstable time bomb.
    4. Kenny beating another man's brains in (despite it being justified, it's bound to make her fear him and his/her morality)
    5. Jane telling you to leave Sarah behind. It may be justified, but it does make Clem think "hey... if she would do it to Sarah, she might do it to me too."
    6. Bonnie telling Clementine she doesnt trust Jane. This gives Clementine second thoughts as well about Jane.
    7. Jane up and leaving during S2E4, making Clem feel abandoned
    8. Jane hiding the baby to show Clem what kenny might do. While possibly justified, it makes Clementine question Jane, her ways and her morality.
    9. And, the most obvious: Kenny and Jane fight. Despite Clem's efforts, they completely ignore her and fight to the death regardless, leading to Clem falling on the ground which opens her wounds. She's bleeding on the floor from her chest and her two friends who she thought were most close to her continue fighting, instead of stopping to help her bleeding wound. In the end she's forced to choose one friend over the other because of their recklessness.

Now, with that said, what has Luke done to make Clementine question her trust in him? I mean, he slept with Jane, but that wasn't putting Clementine in direct danger, he didnt knowingly do it. Also I'm not too sure how much of that situation Clementine really understands, so we wont consider that a reason for Clementine to distrust Luke. He also never pinned anyone's death on her, like Nick's death, his best friend that he has known all his life. Far as I know, Luke treated Clem as an adult (letting her come with him on the bridge.) Luke showed trust in Clementine, which makes it easier for her to trust him.

Now what I think is important about Luke effecting season 3 is how it only effects season 3 if you risked your life for Luke. Clementine doesn't risk her life for anybody. Most importantly, the player doesn't risk their (Clementine's) life for just anybody. I believe the developers thought "hey, Luke clearly meant an AWFUL lot to the player/Clementine if they/she risked their life for him." So, due to Luke not giving Clem a reason to distrust him and her risking her life for him, she views him as a more important guardian figure than Kenny or Jane, making her lines and actions be more influenced by him.

TL;DR; If you choose to save Luke that means Clementine trusts him a LOT. Kenny and Jane did things to make Clementine distrust them, but Luke didn't make Clementine distrust him. Due to these factors, she views Luke as a more stable and better guardians figure than Kenny and Jane, so her determinate dialogue shifts in favor of Luke and is more influenced by him.

More importantly, what do these lines even mean in the context of Luke's character?

• "That's what I get more trusting people... again" (I assume you meant "That's what I get FOR trusting people... again" Also this line was SUPER CRINGE in the game I hated it)

Now, for the meaning of the lines. This may have to do with the fact that she trusted Luke and viewed him as an important figure in her life but, like everyone she knows, they either die or leave. After Luke's death she thought to herself "Don't get attached to people because they will either die or leave." She risked her life for Luke but it still wasn't enough to save him. Despite this, she still got attached to AJ. Keep in mind that when she said this line it was BEFORE she spoke with David. When she said this line she still had it in her head that AJ was taken and died soon after. As said before, she still beat herself up a bit for "trusting... again" despite not wanting to again after the Luke incident.

TL;DR: She didn't want to get attached to anyone anymore after she was unable to save Luke. Despite this, she still got attached to AJ and as always, the people she gets attached to die (so she thought AJ was dead) prompting the line: "That's what I get for trusting people... again"

• "Sometimes there's no other way to make things right"

Um, when was this line, what's the context of it? I played ANF once so it's hard to remember when specific lines happened.

@DabigRG can you try to translate the newly found Luke lines for ANF? How do these 3 or so quotes fit into the context of Luke's character a

• Probably David? They have some similar traits, and anger issues. I think Kenny usually had better intentions though...He acted like an asshole often but I think he had a much better heart than David, so it's not a perfect comparison.

It is the most obvious one, though.

However, it wasn't specifically the character who acts the most like Kenny would, but serves similar functions to the storytelling and character roster.

I think there should have been 1-2 within each episode that were actually significant with at least all major characters. The only episode I remember more than 1 was part 1, but the second one was pretty weak (while wandering around prescott, I believe right before Clementine shoots the vendor). The first one was OK in the junkyard, it was nice to be able to talk to each Garcia family member.

Agreed.

Part 2 there was one I remember, when you have to move the cars, but it was absolute trash. Each character barely said more than 1 short reply to Javi. It would have been great if you could have had a real conversation and find out what was on everyone's minds about what was beyond the cars. I think that maybe another suitable place for a hub would have been either after Jesus is introduced and before you go through the tunnels. Maybe just give a few minutes to discuss a new strategy before heading off towards the end of the episode. Another reasonable place would have been in the road after escaping Prescott when Richmond is first brought up. This would have been a good space for everyone to talk about what just happened, especially Tripp and Elenor because they seemed to not care at all for some reason? At least Conrad was showing some emotion.

Yeah, which Tripp in particular needed some downtime because he's not only very bland but pretty inconsistent/undefined.

Episode 3, I would say while you enter Richmond it might have been okay to have more of a chance to talk to everyone, maybe some random residents. It would have been nice to get perspective from these people instead of just the leaders, find out of it was actually a good settlement or not. If not there, when locked in the little jail might have been nice. Regroup with everyone on a more individual basis and try to come up with a plan with everyone who is with you.

You know, the weird thing is, while I do think it could've benefited from having at least one real hub, I actually didn't mind it too much here since the story felt like it kind of called for a fair amount of quick progression.

Episode 4, it would have been good in the apartment when they were trying to figure out their strategy...I would have liked to speak with each group member.

I agree. For example, I wanted the chance to get caught up on Kate's feelings on things...though I suppose the hub in the truckyard or whatever it was was a good place for that.

Episode 5 had less time to chit chat but maybe on the roof before Javi randomly makes that jump to the fire escape thingy, or maybe after the dumb scene of Ava/Tripp dying so we could actually get a reaction out of people about the deaths? They barely paid attention, especially Clementine with Ava, it was super dumb.

There was originally gonna be at least one hub either after they leave the apartment or after they lost Tripp/Ava, but it got cut.

Those are all I can think about for now, I hope they realize how important hubs are for character development and immersion into the story.

Okay, thanks

Huh????? I am confused about this question.

It's a reference to MLP:FIM, which I assume you know nothing about.

I think she was maybe too young when the outbreak happened to really remember him clearly. From what I could tell, she seemed to have a positive view of David, but she really didn't give us enough insight. She seemed too stable to really have anything against him in a noticeable way.

She would've been about 6 when it happened, so she's bound to have some memories of him.

I believe it's possible for Kenny to mention it, but I may be wrong. I am also pretty sure detrimentally, you can mention it as Clementine in front of him...Mentioning you want to go there or you heard of it or w/e.

Perhaps.

Okay, thanks for the answers! Sorry it took a while to look at them!

Who is THE Kenny of ANF? Probably David? They have some similar traits, and anger issues. I think Kenny usually had better intentio

• Let's talk about the new avatars. Is it just me or does Conrad appear stoned as all heck or getting ready to reanimate?? lol

• What do you think everyone's favorite color is?

• "Sometimes there's no other way to make things right" is said after you beat badgers skull in

For the record, I usually try not to do in depth analysis about anything regarding ANF since most of it was rewritten or just shoehorned in

• Oh. So that line has to do with Kenny beating in Carver's skull, what Luke's stance on it was, and how she defends Javier in present day if Javier beats a man's head in as well.

Going back to S2E4, Luke says to Clem:
    "I don't know Clem... I used to think that maybe all the horror hadn't gotten to you yet. But you watched your friend murder Carver. Not just kill him, but... Clem you didn't even blink."

So, we know Luke's stance on it. He's kinda disappointing that she watched. So, I think the line "Sometimes there's no other way to make things right" Is Clementine's way of defending Javier but herself as well and the reason for their actions.

"Sometimes there's no other way to make things right" is said after you beat badgers skull in

1. How much time passed between the end of s2 and the episode 4 Kenny flashback?
    2. How much time passed between the Ava flashback and Clem meeting Javi?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.