The hate for this game is undeserved

In all honesty, I don't think the sheer amount of hate for this game is really deserved, it seems to just stem from people who dislike Minecraft or a narrative with Minecraft style. Another thing I see people using as a complaint against is that it's a childish game, but really, it's not that far off from being mature, especially in regards to the Adventure Pass episodes.

This game does allot of things right in regards to being a TTG game - we've got diverse game-play rather than just everything being point & click, we've got the hubs and puzzles that many fans have been requesting and the variety and effects of choices are probably the most prominent and lasting in this game compared to every other Telltale game.

It's sad to see that this game isn't receiving as much praise for what it does right, much like how Guardians of the Galaxy and Game of Thrones don't.

Comments

• They just hate MCSM because it's Minecraft
    I totally agree with you :)

• Totally agree. I may not agree with telltales method of creating a sequel right away instead of making s continuation of a series that has been being asked for for awhile (cough wolf among us). I think the game turned out great and I honestly don’t give a fuck to the fact that it’s minecraft and this is coming from a guy who hates minecraft it kind of feels like an original IP from telltale because of the story. The fans of telltale have a right to be upset about getting a sequel already but the game itself does not deserve this hate.

• Well you see, when Telltale just keeps making Minecraft non stop with its linear and simple story and simple graphics and design making it even easier to just keep spitting out more and more, it starts to get really annoying that Minecraft is just being made non stop for a blatant cash grab while games that fans have been begging to get another season for years now are still just left and forgotten.

• I didn't hate this game at all when it came out. But when they confirmed Season 2 for it, I started to hate it.

• I don't hate it. It's just so middle-of-the-road.

• edited July 2017

Well, if someone hate this game because Telltale doesn't want to continue the series that fans already asked for a long time (TWAU, GoT), its okay for me. At least, as long as the other community doesn't bother (for example) X community or Y community, its OK.

But if you hate this game because weird reason (Autistic game, childish, cancer, cringe, etc), go away. Its better than starting a war between two or more communities with an hate speech.

• Nah it kind of sucks. And Telltale wasting their time on this instead of making a sequel to Borderlands or TWAU is ridiculous

• edited July 2017

Well, i personally doesn't care if Telltale decided to make the continuation of (again, for example) X Series instead Y series. As long as the series is suitable for me, i will play it, but if it doesn't, i don't want to give a fuck about it and leave it

I know its hard for some Telltale fans that really want the new season of (cough) TWAU, Borderlands, etc. But its not easy for Telltale to decide which series that will be continued. At least Telltale have another best series such as TWD S3 or Guardians of the Galaxy (not saying that MCSM S2 is bad Telltale series ever made, its good, but some Telltale fans can't accept the fact that MCSM will be continued instead of... yeah, i already mentioned it before)

Journey95 posted: »

Nah it kind of sucks. And Telltale wasting their time on this instead of making a sequel to Borderlands or TWAU is ridiculous

• I don't hate Minecraft or Story Mode. They're both pretty okay games.

What is deserving of hate is the fact that Telltale prioritized a second season of M:SM over a second season of some of their mature titles that have been left on cliffhangers like Game of Thrones. It doesn't help that Story Mode already had a 3 episode DLC.

• Before we make those accusations lets wait on which season 2 project they will be announcing later in the month.

Cocoa2736 posted: »

I don't hate Minecraft or Story Mode. They're both pretty okay games. What is deserving of hate is the fact that Telltale prioritized a s

• Yeah that's fair enough

Before we make those accusations lets wait on which season 2 project they will be announcing later in the month.

• Um, how is MC:SM "not really far off from mature"? Just because the words "damn" or "crap" are said doesn't make it mature.

• How is it immature?

The dialogue in itself isn't immature, the characters show maturity (particularly Petra), the overall plot involving themes of death/murder, totalitarian oppression, desperation and fraud aren't exactly immature and used in every children's book and game now are they?

Um, how is MC:SM "not really far off from mature"? Just because the words "damn" or "crap" are said doesn't make it mature.

• Well, so long as the hate is geared towards the company and not the second season itself. It's like the hate towards Guardians due to the disappointment over ANF - it's irrational.

I don't hate Minecraft or Story Mode. They're both pretty okay games. What is deserving of hate is the fact that Telltale prioritized a s

• They're still going to profit well from making MC:SM S2, plus I don't think they can easily make a second season of their other games like EnderSlainer stated, they have to get the rights from the distributor/creator and then they have to hire a writer or multiple ones to make the plot and then they have to animate it and add voice-overs etc. etc. plus I don't think TWAU is meant to have a second season and if it does, people might get disappointed that season 1 won't have as much of an effect on it. As for TftB S2, I think we'll have better luck after the release of Borderlands 3.

Journey95 posted: »

Nah it kind of sucks. And Telltale wasting their time on this instead of making a sequel to Borderlands or TWAU is ridiculous

• How is Minecraft Story Mode's story any more simple or linear than every other Telltale game?

As a company, everything they make is legitimately a cash grab, because that's the main reason they make games and it has to be in order for the company to continue making games.

Poogers555 posted: »

Well you see, when Telltale just keeps making Minecraft non stop with its linear and simple story and simple graphics and design making it e

• The game has a proposal: To be a fun little adventure for a younger audience.

It does what it is meant to do. Therefore, it is a good game in my book.

And about it being "immature"... Disliking things for the sole reason that you perceive them as being "childish" is what shows immaturity.

"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence." - C. S. Lewis.

• edited July 2017

GoT, despite the extremely weak writing of the two last episodes, had its second season announced right after it ended. I mean it. It was like, in the next day.

But Minecraft Story Mode is much quicker to make, so of course it is going to release quicker. It doesn't mean there aren't people working on the second season of GoT.

• Season 1: Group of friends - world is going to end they have to stop it- go on quest to find others - they stop it.

The dlc atleast tried some new concepts.

prink34320 posted: »

How is Minecraft Story Mode's story any more simple or linear than every other Telltale game? As a company, everything they make is legit

• edited July 2017

But I never said that it was "immature". When you said it wasn't too far off from mature, I related that to telltale's other mature titles.

Quite frankly, there isn't a lot of mature storytelling in this game I feel. It's like a Pixar movie, and you already know that there will be a happy ending in the end. Combined with that, it's very unfunny, and the fact that YOUTUBERS ARE CHARACTERS just makes it cringeworthy. It seems more like a catering to that audience than an actual quality game.

How is it immature? The dialogue in itself isn't immature, the characters show maturity (particularly Petra), the overall plot involving

• Nothing's wrong with a happy ending but I don't think the first ark's finale was entirely happy, more so bittersweet (referring to episode 4) as episode 5 was more of an intro to the second ark.

As for the humor - like many have said before, it's one of the most subjective things.

I do agree about the Youtuber characters, I would've been fine if they made an appearance had they not mentioned their Youtube fame at all, but eh, it's a single episode that was still enjoyable as a cliche mystery killer story.

But I never said that it was "immature". When you said it wasn't too far off from mature, I related that to telltale's other mature titles.

• edited July 2017

Well yeah, that's a simple story because all forms of context are removed from it.

• The Walking Dead - A group of people try to survive the zombie apocalypse.
    • Tales from the Borderlands - Former Hyperion employees team up with con artists to find a vault.
    • Game of Thrones - House Forrester is at war with House Whitehill and members of the house set out to try and save their house.
    • Batman - A man with a secret superhero persona is threatened by his family's past.
    • The Wolf Among Us - The Big Bad Wolf tries to solve the murder case of fairy tale hookers.

I do think that the DLC were better in allot of regards though, but you still haven't elaborated on how it's any more linear than other games.

Poogers555 posted: »

Season 1: Group of friends - world is going to end they have to stop it- go on quest to find others - they stop it. The dlc atleast tried some new concepts.

• edited July 2017

Let's be honest - the only reason the R16+ rating exists is to legally portray sexual content and to express more profanity, that's really it. The majority of the entertainment industry doesn't even fall into the adult category (and this includes books and video games).

Something doesn't need to be labelled with adult ratings to be great - see: Star Wars, Marvel, Disney, Pixar, Cartoon Network shows, Supernatural, Harry Potter etc...

Abeille posted: »

The game has a proposal: To be a fun little adventure for a younger audience. It does what it is meant to do. Therefore, it is a good gam

• Obviously something doesn't need an adult rating to be slapped on it to be great. All of the example says that you mentioned above are great because they do mature themes so well while also not making it too complex for a younger audience.

No one is saying that they hate MC:SM because it doesn't have an adult rating. It could be an awesome game that older people could enjoy, but it simply wasn't due to the writing and the development decisions.

Let's be honest - the only reason the R16+ rating exists is to legally portray sexual content and to express more profanity, that's really i

• The majority of people I've seen on several forums, social media posts and comment sections primarily disliked the game due to being Minecraft and (largely due to the origin of the series) because they found it childish - regardless of it's mature themes.

What parts of the writing and developmental decisions would you personally say affected the game in a negative way?

Personally, I think that making episode 5 the entrance to a new ark and having the Youtubers mention their fame at all both kind of ruined the immersion, I also feel like characters such as Axel and Olivia were badly written as they seem one dimensional and don't go through development except for a bit of a sub-plot if you went with them at the end of episode 1.

Speaking of choices, this game is one of the better Telltale games in that regard and at least follows up on allot of the fan requests - game-play, hubs and puzzle solving for instance.

Obviously something doesn't need an adult rating to be slapped on it to be great. All of the example says that you mentioned above are great

• "Grrr, OTHERS are getting what they want! I hate this game!"

AronDracula posted: »

I didn't hate this game at all when it came out. But when they confirmed Season 2 for it, I started to hate it.

• You don't have to tell me, prink34320. I saw first-hand the hate aimed at this game on Facebook before the first episode of Season One was released, and all of that hate to this day is still uncalled for.

• [removed]

Nothing's wrong with a happy ending but I don't think the first ark's finale was entirely happy, more so bittersweet (referring to episode 4

• [removed]

You don't have to tell me, prink34320. I saw first-hand the hate aimed at this game on Facebook before the first episode of Season One was released, and all of that hate to this day is still uncalled for.

• The writing isn't on the level of telltale's many other series. The characters also don't seem to develop in any way other than the most cliched ways. Jesse is the cliche "little peasant to big hero with no consequences". Every major character always gets out unscathed, with the exception of Rueban, who was more of s plot device than anything.

First off, Telltale's descision to release Season 2 this early after Season 1 already had a three episode DLC speaks VOLUMES about where their priorities are. They would rather cater to the minecraft community while neglecting the majority of actual Telltale fans.

Adding youtubers was a bad development decision in my opinion. It makes the game cringeworthy and more apparent that it's just catering to the minecraft community.

Next is the choices in the game. There have been zero difficult choices to make. This is due to the fact that the characters aren't relatable enough. They're just giant blocks that walk around and crack jokes, desperately trying to be all hip and likeable. They just don't feel human.

The majority of people I've seen on several forums, social media posts and comment sections primarily disliked the game due to being Minecra

• Good, I didn't even want to talk to you chump.

• Worst thing to happen? I think the destruction of earth's ecosystems, massacres and removal of human rights are far worse than a creative game... and that's the fact. When it comes to anything entertainment-wise, it's all subjective.

Why even respond to me in the first place if you don't wish to discuss?

• How is the writing not on the same level? Could you elaborate on that statement? I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm just wondering what your reasons are for saying this?

It we want to talk about plot devices and characters that had cliche or nonexistent development:

• The Walking Dead Game Season One - The Stranger, Molly, Katjaa, Duck, Larry, Mark
    • The Walking Dead Game Season Two - Carlos, Rebecca, Alvin, Sarah, Nick, Carver
    • Game of Thrones - Ser Royland, Gared, Ethan, Beskha, Ryon, Ludd
    • The Wolf Among Us - Actually no, this game was pretty good in that department with the exception of henchmen

Just to name a few.

Well, people from the Minecraft community are also now Telltale fans - just because they might prefer Minecraft: Story Mode doesn't mean they're automatically not real fans. Plus we don't know what's going on inside their office, for all we know, Telltale could be trying to get the rights for second seasons to their games - although I would say that the Game of Thrones fans are being neglected, the second season was announced and yet no news after 2 years...

I do somewhat agree to that statement, although I wasn't really that bothered by it honestly. If I had played the game not knowing who they were, I probably wouldn't have cared at all.

Well, one decision that is difficult to you might not be difficult to everyone else, that's where players' perspectives differ. I do personally agree that there weren't that many difficult decisions, however, there were at least a couple for me. Well to be fair, they aren't human, the logic and physics of their world are far different from ours - as for the jokes, again, that is the most subjective thing in the world.

The writing isn't on the level of telltale's many other series. The characters also don't seem to develop in any way other than the most cli

• Damn he got banned

Good, I didn't even want to talk to you chump.

• I just dislike minecraft in general not that I hate this game in particular....I'm sure a lot of people hate it not because of anf because it's Considered a childesh game in comparisons to the other telltale games people have played before

• explain why it's once been one of the top 10 games ever. so what you don't like minecraft? don't play it. no one forcing you too. no wonder why people complain about you toxic people.

• No wonder Minecraft has a HUUUUGE fanbase. It's an easy cash grab.

"Grrr, OTHERS are getting what they want! I hate this game!"

• Was only a matter of time...he has been annoying in TWD forums for awhile.

MegaXD posted: »

Damn he got banned

• I don't hate Minecraft...I just think considering how long other fans have waited...and the issues with the flagship series...their resources would have been better used on polishing TWD.

• Well, when you think about it, every game a company makes is "just a cash grab." Just some games they try to appeal to more people. Sure, I'd love a GOT Season 2 or TFTBL Season 2, but I mean I didn't dislike minecraft so I pre ordered season 2.

AronDracula posted: »

No wonder Minecraft has a HUUUUGE fanbase. It's an easy cash grab.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.