I hope they establish their own canon

I think the comics canon restricts them way too much. Like Bigby can't go to the Farm, so many characters can't die etc.

It would be best if Telltale did their own thing imho. TWAU is completely different from the comics anyway (which were rather lackluster from what I read)

Comments

• I agree with you and I don't get why other book/comic readers are always so adamant about the faithfulness to the source material. Of course they shouldn't make something completely different, but the first season showed that they captured the spirit of the comics quite well. Different genres demand innovative ideas (just like with GoT books and show differences).

• I completely agree with you

• Telltale should still stick with the cannon, and its going to stay that way due to Bill Willingham being very big on connon.

However, with the comics finished that does mean Telltale now has a very clear view of what they can now do and not do. And even though there are restrictions that doesnt mean Telltale cant find ways to still do things that are seen as "impossible due to breaking the cannon."

For example, who says Bigby cant sneak onto the farm? Its not an impossible thing that they 100% CAN NOT DO, its just up to if Telltale wants to do it. Theres always small loopholes.

• The beauty out TWAU and Fables is the vast selection and diverse characters that can be used, all while remaining canon to the comics or events that have taken place. I'm sure TTG will throw some hints out regarding the comic and even mention a few that are heavily involved in them. (Just like they did for Rose Red in season 1) I have a feeling they will have their own story take place, as they did surrounding Faith, Nerissa, etc.

I have Faith that TTG will take their time and create something marvelous. There are so many loopholes as Pooger said that can be covered. :)

• They should look into the possibility of an alternate reality. There's a number of ways they could accomplish that. Magic plays a recurring part in this universe, after all.

• They cant just have their own canon. That's what got them in trouble with the writer in the first, didn't it? Going against canon.

• Exactly, theres a wide pool of characters and story they can draw from within the canon. No need to go off into the stratosphere.

pudding_pie posted: »

The beauty out TWAU and Fables is the vast selection and diverse characters that can be used, all while remaining canon to the comics or eve

• edited July 2017

The thing is though - the game is based upon the Fable comics (i.e. it's a direct prequel to the comics) by Bill Willingham. And Telltale, while they did get the license from Vertigo (DC) comics, still asked for Willingham's blessing regarding their new IP (TWAU season 1), and got it - and they even asked for advice from Willingham (so Willingham did do work on TWAU season 1 as a consultant/advisor type role).

Now, I don't know what role Willingham will have in season 2 (Telltale may ask for his advice again like they did in season 1, or not) - but going against canon would be the biggest mistake that Telltale Games does (and a huge disrespect to Willingham).

They gotta work within the rules/boundaries set by the creator (Willingham) of the universe (i.e. Fables universe) - since it has been announced from the beginning that TWAU series is set in SAME CONTINUITY as the comics.

I don't think enough people are quite aware of this, so here it goes (summarised):

• The Walking Dead (comics) vs The Walking Dead (TV series) - an adaptation but in different continuity
    • The Walking Dead (comics) vs The Walking Dead (Telltale Games) - adaptations, and in same continuity (this is especially evident in TWD: Michonne, where it states it's set in time when Michonne is away from Rick's group in the comics).
    • The Walking Dead (TV series) vs The Walking Dead (Telltale Games) - Telltale's TWD series is an adaptation of comics, not the TV show. So obviously different continuity.

• The Games of Thrones (books) vs The Game of Thrones (TV series) - an adaptation but in different continuity

• The Games of Thrones (books) vs The Game of Thrones (Telltale Games) - Telltale's GOT series is an adaptation of TV show, not the books (pretty obvious with them having TV actors voicing the roles). So obviously different continuity.
    • The Games of Thrones (TV series) vs The Games of Thrones (Telltale Games) - adaptation, and in same continuity (same actor for Jon, Daenarys, Tyrion, Cersei, Ramsey)

• Fables (comics) vs The Wolf Among Us season 1 (Telltale) - adaptation, and in same continuity (direct prequel to the comics)

So would make no sense for them to go off canon for TWAU season 2.

• There are loopholes that Telltale can explore, but I really wouldn't want to see them do it if it breaks the character.

For example, sneaking onto the farm wouldn't be something I would see Bigby do (only time I saw Bigby sneaking around was when he was out of Fabletown in World War II hunting Nazis) - considering all the chaos/risks involved should he get caught plus disapproval from Snow.

Poogers555 posted: »

Telltale should still stick with the cannon, and its going to stay that way due to Bill Willingham being very big on connon. However, wit

• Well thats kinda the point, he has to do it for some type of risk, it all depends if the story involves Bigby needing to go to the Farm.

Like how the original plot had Bigby being framed. What if in S2 Bigby is framed and he needs help from someone who is on the farm, so he sneaks on it to get their help. There we go, he is hiding on the farm, or even he uses a glamour to explore the farm secretly.

CoolGuyJ posted: »

There are loopholes that Telltale can explore, but I really wouldn't want to see them do it if it breaks the character. For example, snea

• edited July 2017

Hmmm, good point (and it works too). I guess they can do it like the Batman episode where Bruce was in Arkham Asylum for most of one episode (and it also solves problem of being able to meet Farm characters who Bigby normally wouldn't be able to see).

Well thats kinda the point, he has to do it for some type of risk, it all depends if the story involves Bigby needing to go to the Farm.

• edited July 2017

I can't speak for Telltale, but if I had to abort an entire preconceived story arc because of Willingham (which is basically what happened in S1), I'd probably feel just a little resentful.

KCohere posted: »

They cant just have their own canon. That's what got them in trouble with the writer in the first, didn't it? Going against canon.

• It would just give them more opportunities for interesting stories and character development. The Fables comics just limit them way too much.

CoolGuyJ posted: »

The thing is though - the game is based upon the Fable comics (i.e. it's a direct prequel to the comics) by Bill Willingham. And Telltale,

• edited July 2017

Plenty of compelling stories and character development can still be achieved even when they stay in canon (assuming they get good writers to do season 2).

And the limit of comics, well,,,,, it depends on each person's perspective whether it's too much or not (I personally think the comic canon's limitation is pretty moderate, and does not really harm the plot devising for TWAU season 2, but you obviously have a different opinion)

Journey95 posted: »

It would just give them more opportunities for interesting stories and character development. The Fables comics just limit them way too much.

• Well, its not his fault that they didn't clear the storyline with him first.

I can't speak for Telltale, but if I had to abort an entire preconceived story arc because of Willingham (which is basically what happened in S1), I'd probably feel just a little resentful.

• I'd rather they stick with the current canon. Limitations inspire creativity.

• Limitations inspire creativity.

100% Agree.

I'd rather they stick with the current canon. Limitations inspire creativity.

• Sticking with the established canon can be fun though!

They have a lot of time to play with between TWAU S1 and Fables issue 1.

Though a separate canon would be nice don't get me wrong!!

• Oh yes! Going to the farm, that would add some really interesting Good/Bad wolf choices there.

Well thats kinda the point, he has to do it for some type of risk, it all depends if the story involves Bigby needing to go to the Farm.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.