Should the character models be updated, or left alone?

Telltale gave some of the models for S2 of Batman a slight upgrade (specifically Gordon and the Joker). Should they do the same with the models of TWAU, or do you think they ain't broke to begin with?

Comments

• Well, they're going to have to update them since the engine is different than last time. But I would like it if they can keep the designs as close to what they used to look like back in the day.
    But maybe give Bigby a new change of clothes.

• That's what I'm saying. If they can keep the updated revisions as close as possible to the original style (especially Bigby's), I think most of the fans would be grateful. The design leap from TWD S2 and ANF was a little too wide.

AChicken posted: »

Well, they're going to have to update them since the engine is different than last time. But I would like it if they can keep the designs as close to what they used to look like back in the day. But maybe give Bigby a new change of clothes.

• I do hope for a leap in some areas like the graphical fidelity of the models and the texture quality, but I hope they keep the overall "hard outlined shadows/neon/comic style" that Season 1 had, instead of trying to show off their new bells and whistles in games like New Frontier and Batman. Those two games have fine art styles, but I feel that some of the art choices in those two games contradict the "living comic book" style they try to aim for, by mixing in stuff that comic book art would not be capable of like blurry depth of field or realistic textures alongside the normal comic-y looking textures and sketch lines. I respect that Wolf Season 1 tried to strive for a more authentic comic art style with the hard-outlined shadows, the saturated colors, etc.

• Its inevitable that the models will be updated, HOWEVER, I really hope Telltale doesnt fuck up how they look. This should just be a normal jump upgrade to the new engine, I dont want another Kenny and Jane cardboard character model. I want all the returning characters to look VERY distinctive to how they originally looked, no new edgy art style making them look terrible.

• Of course they should be updated. Any improvement is welcome. They can add more detail and stuff, make them look spiffy.

I doubt the models will look that much different (well actually it'll be 5 years, so I can't really say that). I really loved the art style they had, and I can only imagine that the newer engine can help amplify the effects that made the first look nice.

• Honestly I think it should be kept the same style, TWAU is my absolute favourite telltale game in terms of graphics.

• edited August 2017

Yes and no. This is my biggest fear when it comes to Season 2, as many have said the update for the models is inevetible but I personally don't think it should be anything other than higher polycount, possibly higher resolution of the textures and adding the shaders from the new engine.

It shouldn't be a full remake, but just a casual improvement upon the existing models to make them a bit more in line with the updated engine. The ANF Kenny / Jane situation is what I fear most, as I could live with anything except for a butchered models of Bigby and Miss White...

• edited August 2017

Mate, you took the words right out of my mouth.

There's no denying the fact that ANF Kenny and Jane, just looked really weird/ugly compared to the previous seasons of TWD.

Here's me hoping Telltale is reading this thread.

Jacol posted: »

Yes and no. This is my biggest fear when it comes to Season 2, as many have said the update for the models is inevetible but I personally do

• Yeah pretty much this, just upgraded textures and poly counts is all I really want just so it all looks sharper but looks the same. Watching Kenny and Jane look like trash was bad enough but I dont think I could handle seeing Bigby looking like a truck hit him

Jacol posted: »

Yes and no. This is my biggest fear when it comes to Season 2, as many have said the update for the models is inevetible but I personally do

• Watching Kenny and Jane look like trash was bad enough but I dont think I could handle seeing Bigby looking like a truck hit him

Yeah. Though I'd add Snow in there as well. I just wouldn't be able to stand it if both Bigby and Snow look like how Kenny and Jane ended up looking in ANF.

Poogers555 posted: »

Yeah pretty much this, just upgraded textures and poly counts is all I really want just so it all looks sharper but looks the same. Watching

• edited August 2017

Well I mean overall, Wolf's style is already so perfect. If you go back and watch videos now, it would still very much be passable in terms of graphics for 2017 standard even though it was released in 2013.

CoolGuyJ posted: »

Watching Kenny and Jane look like trash was bad enough but I dont think I could handle seeing Bigby looking like a truck hit him Yea

• Yeah, I agree.

Style is huge part of why Wolf season 1 still holds up really well compared to current games.

Poogers555 posted: »

Well I mean overall, Wolf's style is already so perfect. If you go back and watch videos now, it would still very much be passable in terms of graphics for 2017 standard even though it was released in 2013.

• edited August 2017

Well, I want them to upgrade textures, it's necessary, but they HAVE TO leave that comic artstyle. Otherwise, I'll be really dissapointed. There's no reason to make Bigby and Snow another Kenny and Jane, as it was already said.

• combination of TTBatman (character models +black lines) and twau would be nice tbh

• edited August 2017

As long as they are nowhere near the Guardians of The Galaxy.

I think ANF was a little too overdone too. Some character's graphics didn't match the details on other characters or objects, it was a little weird.

I would love if it could stick to the original, the art style really sets a tone.

UPDATE:
    Well now that I think about it, they could definitely pimp up Bigby's face. BUT, not too much (like anf). I would use Batman's telltale as a nice rolemodel: defined lines, nice facial colors, defined beard strokes, but not too much volume on the face overall.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.