Life Is Strange - True Colors Out Now, Bonus Episode "Wavelengths" September 30th

Comments

• Here is a Exklusive PREVIEW from Gronkh.

• Good finale. WAYYYY better than Season 1's that's for sure, but not like heart wrenching as intended compared to the intensity of previous episodes. I like Deck Nine and look forward to whatever they end up doing next. Although I'm sad to see Dontnod come back for season 2 of whatever will become of this series. Hmm

• Placing a spoiler here because I will obviously occasionally go into spoilers. A great episode not sure if it beat episode 2 though. Afterwards I realized what terrible choices I made like telling Rachel the truth. That scene with Sera being held hostage was very well done and after all the build up making her seem like a bad person. I also found that if I ended up playing the original LIS after the prequel I would find David more likeable because this whole series showed that he tried to be a good father figure. I could say a bunch more but I’ll save it for when more people play it. A pretty great episode 9/10.

• edited December 2017

So we are just going to ignore all the plot points that went nowhere in this game?

• In Episode 1, what the fuck happened at the end? When Rachel screams twice after setting the forest on fire, the wind goes at the same time, moving the fire, was that either for a dramatic effect or just convenience?
    • Why the fuck did James, Rachel's dad, kiss his ex-wife on lips? I get they were married before but when you're married with someone else, you are done with your previous wife/husband, no more kisses or great times. Kissing her on her cheek would have made more sense.
    • There is no connection between this game and Jefferson's shenanigans. Good job, Dontnod and Deck Nine, you gave Jefferson no reasons to be the villain, making him one of the worst villains in video game history.
    • How the fuck does Chloe know how to fix a goddamn car? Not only that, when she drives it for the first time, she is driving it with big speed, not concerned if she going to run something or someone over.
    • Rose, Rachel's step mother, somehow isn't pissed that James kissed another woman. I like that she is kind, but she has NO reasons not to be pissed.
    • Frank managed to win the fight between him and Damon and also kill him when he was just stabbed in the shoulder and Damon didn't even have any weaknesses or injuries.
    • There is no clue why Rachel had a crush on Frank. Off-screen means nothing to me.

I still don't get why this franchise gets so much love. This game solved NOTHING, we already knew the fate of Chloe and Rachel, this was nothing but fanservice, it will not have anything to do with Season 2 as we heard that it's going to have a new cast. It made me hate Chloe and Rachel so much. Chloe is the one who made David act like a dick, she is the bitch here. Rachel put Chloe in a lot of trouble and she set the forest on fire for no fucking reason, "I started the fire because my dad was cheating on his wife".

The best thing about Episode 3 is that Eliot was calling out Chloe's stupid decisions. He is like Max (The other self) in Max's dream in S1 Episode 5. Why weren't there option to agree with hi- oh yeah, Chloe should stay as an asshole for the canon. Eliot is my second favourite character of this game with Kate Marsh being the first.

I can't say if Before the Storm is better or worse than the main game cause I hate them both. However, this game just felt UNNECESSARY to begin with. I think this game just wanted to show us that Rachel was a bitch just like Chloe and Max. I'm glad she and Chloe died in the main game.

(Waiting to see how many users are going to disagree with me aggressively)

• I got through the finale of Before the Storm.

The way Chloe and Rachel looked through that view finder to watch how past James and Sera met and had Rachel was an interesting way to see their perspective. Also a nice easter egg for Ep. 1. Apparently, Sera became an addict instead of taking care of her daughter, so James took Rachel and left her. Now Sera's been wanting to see her again recently, but James didn't want her to. It was pretty how Chloe got to light up Rachel's room with stars using that nightlight.

It was cool to see Chloe dye her hair blue finally. It was only a streak for now, but it looked cool. She even found the boots she wears in the first game. And then David was actually decent this time. He talked about how he can relate with loss by sharing how he lost one of his war buddies, Phil Becker. It actually got a little emotional. When it came to decide whether to accept his offer or not, I asked myself if I was the kind of person to ruin a moment like this.

But then, things turn grim. After Chloe brought her truck to life, Damon came around after we tried to get Frank to help find Sera, and then the asshole stabbed Rachel. I think Chloe froze because she wasn't as fearless as she'd be as her 19-year-old self. If she was, she could've been able to stop Damon from grabbing the knife and get it first. That's what I would've done. But sadly, that's not how it went. Props to Frank fr at least trying to defend us from him. At least I got to see Mikey, Drew and Steph again while at the hospital.

Going through James' office to figure out where to find Sera was like the beginning of Chloe being a detective. Oh, if only Max was around. And then it turns out that James was working with Damon and I had to pretend to be James through texting to get him to reveal where Sera was, which turned out that he kidnapped her and took her to the burned down Mill. And suddenly Eliot appears and goes all crazy about Chloe spending more time with Rachel than him. Not even Warren crossed that line. That's when I used backtalk to inform the police about him while at the same time not actually saying anything, and now he's been busted. Sorry Eliot, but that's on you now.

Chloe also ended up with a conversation with dream William while she was awake. It was nice before I had to descend into the lion's den. That whole showdown with Damon did not go well. I tried to use the knife, but I only cut his face before he overpowered me. Just when it seemed like it was all over, Frank shows up wounded and attacked Damon. When Chloe came to, it turns out that Frank killed him and Sera was just sitting by the table waiting to talk. Sera showed me that she is far from what I assumed she would be. I believed that she would be the antagonist of the mini-series. But Damon filled that role quite well.

After our talk, I had to make a choice about what I'm going to tell Rachel. Either to protect her (Lie) or cause her more hurt (Truth). It was really hard for me to decide. But in the end, I chose to protect her. Was it the right thing to do? I don't know. But at least Rachel was still happy in the end. And then, the epilogue shows Chloe and Rachel continuing to live out their lives together in Arcadia Bay. Chloe fully dyes her hair blue, and she and Rachel get their tattoos, thus their transformations was complete. Oh, but then... Shit. We catch a glimpse of Rachel's fate in the Dark Room. Damn you, Jeffershit.

All in all, I really did enjoy the prequel and it was good to see Chloe again, to finally get to know Rachel and go through another journey in Arcadia Bay.

MY CHOICES:
    - I killed the plant with soda. Neglecting it would've been worse.
    - I accepted David's offer. I decided that I didn't want to ruin the moment.
    - I didn't have Drew's money at the start of the day. Too bad. I would've like to have donated some.
    - I visited the Norths at the hospital. I even played a RPG game with them and Steph. It really made their day.
    - I convinced Damon that Sheldon was the snitch. I know that bouncer guy Thunder (AKA Rodney) was the actual snitch, but this is Sheldon's karma for getting butt-hurt over spilled beer.
    - Rachel didn't meet her mother. It's a shame. I was hoping that she would. Maybe if I had done things differently...
    * I didn't tell Rachel the truth. In the end, I decided that I wanted to respect Sera's wish.

But even after all that, its not over yet. There's still one last bonus episode of young Max and Chloe to look forward to.

• edited December 2017

Also, this game never gave us clues of how Max managed to possess rewind power.

• edited December 2017

There is no connection between this game and Jefferson's shenanigans. Good job, Dontnod and Deck Nine, you gave Jefferson no reasons to be the villain, making him one of the worst villains in video game history.
    There is no clue why Rachel had a crush on Frank. Off-screen means nothing to me.
    This game solved NOTHING, we already knew the fate of Chloe and Rachel, this was nothing but fanservice, it will not have anything to do with Season 2 as we heard that it's going to have a new cast.

I'm really interested in where you got the information that this game would ever touch upon these plot points?

Before the Storm was never advertised as a mini series which would solve Season 1's loose ends. If you went into this game expecting it to you've nothing to blame but your incompetence as a customer.

AronDracula posted: »

Also, this game never gave us clues of how Max managed to possess rewind power.

• Rachel is so photogenic. Snap, snap, snap...

I kind of expected Episode 3 trying to have a creepy ending. I'm surprising they didn't went with the obvious horror angle option with it. Of course then there is the ending that ties it to the next game so that kind of counts as somewhat "horror."

I don't really get Eliot's inclusion in the game. He looks like one of those more generic NPC models you would use in background to show up as an audience. I don't really get his supposed relevancy.

• I'm really interested in where you got the information that this game would ever touch upon these plot points?

I'm really interested why this game was made in the first place. It felt pointless because Chloe (Determinant) and Rachel were already dead in the main game. As I said, it won't have anything to do with Season 2 and I was surprised that this game managed to make me hate Rachel just as much as Chloe and Max.

Before the Storm was never advertised as a mini series which would solve Season 1's loose ends.

Then why is it called "Before the Storm"? It doesn't even have anything to do with the storm. Sure it takes place before the storm caused by Max but I can't help but thinking this game is ignoring the main game.

If you went into this game expecting it to you've nothing to blame but your incompetence as a customer.

This game never got my money and never will. ;)

There is no connection between this game and Jefferson's shenanigans. Good job, Dontnod and Deck Nine, you gave Jefferson no reasons to be t

• edited December 2017

I really didn't like that episode. It felt like it was just dragging along, and when you finally got to the end it felt weak. Episode 2 was by far my favorite, and I wished they would of focused more on the 2 girls trying to get away from Arcadia Bay. Then trying to find Rachel's mother. Also just to add I felt the same here as I did at the end of season 1 of life is strange. Like everything I did was for nothing. It was a very well done game, both of them. But by the end, both seasons felt lackluster.

• edited December 2017

I, for one, loved Eliot because he called out Chloe's stupid decisions just like Max's dream self called out Max's stupid mistakes.

Clord posted: »

(Spoiler)

• I'm really interested why this game was made in the first place.

The main focus of the game was Chloe and Rachel's relationship, since the main game never really went in-depth about what they really were before Max came back into Arcadia Bay. Fanservice? Probably. But there were unanswered questions about their relationship.

Then why is it called "Before the Storm"? It doesn't even have anything to do with the storm. Sure it takes place before the storm caused by Max but I can't help but thinking this game is ignoring the main game.

It's called "before the storm" because it's basically... before the storm. It explains the events which led to Rachel's disappearance which then served as Chloe's driving force in the main game; unlocking Max's power... and you know the rest I believe.

This game never got my money and never will.

I'm really interested in where you got the information that this game would ever touch upon these plot points? I'm really interested

• Well this game takes place before the storm hence the title.

I'm really interested in where you got the information that this game would ever touch upon these plot points? I'm really interested

• What's more confusing is that Rachel and Chloe became friends really fast.

Oh, some assholes are attacking her. I should go up there, distract them and bring her to my party and befriend her cause she looks cool

I'm really interested why this game was made in the first place. The main focus of the game was Chloe and Rachel's relationship, sin

• Then you really have no right to complain now do you sparky?

• What's more confusing is that Rachel and Chloe became friends really fast.

I'm sure Rachel already knows about Chloe and vice versa, judging by how people talk about both Rachel and Chloe. They just never had actual interaction up until the show at the old mill. Plus, I see no issue at all with them being fast friends, it happens. But I understand why it would confuse you.

What's more confusing is that Rachel and Chloe became friends really fast. Oh, some assholes are attacking her. I should go up there, distract them and bring her to my party and befriend her cause she looks cool

• Yes, only one problem. I just forgot my water hose.

Then you really have no right to complain now do you sparky?

• It was a pretty good episode, although not as great as Episode 2. I didn't feel like much of my choices were really reflected in the finale and it felt rather rushed at the end. They kinda made a few characters do a 360 with their attitudes and personalities.

• .I watched Jacksepticeye playing the final episode and he thinks this game felt pointless and the last episode was bad. Another reason why I subscribed to him.

• edited December 2017

Everyone is a critic. Life Is Strange: Before The Storm - Episode 3: Hell Is Empty does a great job filling in the blanks of what had happened before Chloe was reunited with Max. That’s what this was supposed to be. There are so many misconceptions about it in this thread. This game was a standalone series from Life Is Strange, but it does make references to the original, such as Chloe’s transformation. Yes, I already knew what would happen with Rachel (her disappearance), but it still was a developing story that kept me invested. It accomplished what many prequels failed to do, it tells you its own story that leaves you feeling content and wanting more at the same time, while also connecting you to the events of the original game in a meaningful and heartfelt way. Compared to Telltale Games' games recently, this was one of the more gripping and satisfying stories with an emotional impact all year for me. I don’t want to say “goodbye” to Rachel, because I have never been good at that. However, we will just have to hope and see if they can continue this story, starting after the events of either games. Either way, it’s my game of the year.

• edited December 2017

.I watched Jacksepticeye playing the final episode and he thinks this game felt pointless and the last episode was bad. Another reason why I subscribed to him.

• edited December 2017

Meh, EP3 was good, but I liked EP2 more. I didn't like the way Sera was built up as a bad person and how Rachel was being prevented from seeing her. And Damon seemed more dumb and not intimidating like he was in EP2. EP3 could've been written better. Maybe it was time issues. But still, it's a decent final episode and Before the Storm was a nice return to the Life is Strange series.

The ending was my favorite, if Sera was able to meet Rachel. I liked how it showed how events came to be for the first game. I'm looking forward to the bonus episode, Farewell. The original voice actresses are returning for it too. It should be super good and emotional.

• edited December 2017

Yeah, it's a shame it only comes with the deluxe edition. Maybe they thought the majority of LiS fans would really want to play that episode, so they're forcing them to pay the full price of the game anyways plus extra. All in an exploitative effort of making more money...

• I can't believe how a simple ending scene that only lasts seconds can completely change your mood so fast even if you already knew Rachel's fate. Holy shit I wasn't expecting that final scene... everything was so great, happy, until Rachel's phone showed up in the dark room with Jefferson taking pictures of her and Chloe calling her. At that moment I wasn't even thinking about her death and this scene caught me by surprise. In the original game I didn't care so much about Rachel but now that I know her and her relationship with Chloe I'm so sad that she died... fuck Jeffershit

• edited December 2017

You're not alone. To be honest, they still could change her fate. We never saw her body buried in the junkyard. I have said it before, and I will say it again: if Kenny can survive being surrounded by walkers in The Walking Dead: Season One, anyone can survive anything. There are several possibilities for how Rachel could have survived actually. Interestingly enough, the voice actress of Rachel Amber, Kylie Brown, retweeted a tweet recently from a fan who suggested that they should develop a game from her perspective, detailing the events leading up to her disappearance, including her relationships (whether romantic or platonic) with Frank Bowers and Mr. Jefferson.

• First off, why are you comparing Telltale's actions with Dontnod's?
    Secondly, what would be the point of bringing Rachel back? She was a nothing, she didn't add anything to the main story or even the main game's endings.

Interestingly enough, the voice actress of Rachel Amber, Kylie Brown, retweeted a tweet recently from a fan who suggested that they should develop a game from her perspective, detailing the events leading up to her disappearance, including her relationships (whether romantic or platonic) with Frank Bowers and Mr. Jefferson.

They could have easily done with Before the Storm but they didn't, and instead, they told us about her mom who had 0% anything with the main story. It would have been less terrible if it was like Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, a goddamn set-up for the main plot, they're not fooling me with that after credits scene.

You're not alone. To be honest, they still could change her fate. We never saw her body buried in the junkyard. I have said it before, and I

• edited December 2017

Oh man me too. I somehow wished they changed Rachel's faith but after that scene I was heartbroken.

Yes, I thought that maybe they could change her fate in BTS. I'm feeling sad until now, I really don't want her to die.

• edited December 2017

Because, it shows that a character who was supposedly dead, can miraculously survive a nearly impossible situation unscathed. Do you have an issue with me making a comparison? As for Rachel, she wasn't a "nothing", nor did she add "nothing" to the original game. Max was helping Chloe to discover the truth of her disappearance throughout majority of the story. She didn't have to be directly involved with the ending of the game for her to be a something. Anyway, they have so much to work with, with her story. She has quickly become a fan favorite to some. They can tell her story, from her perspective, and we will get to see all of the how's and why's of what happened with her.

You clearly must not understand what the focus of Life Is Strange: Before The Storm was. The game is set three years before the events of the original game. You experience the beginning events of the friendship between Chloe and Rachel, and the events that brought them so close together. The game wasn't meant to ever be about Rachel's disappearance. They wanted it to be an entirely new story. They wanted to take players on a new journey. Deck Nine Games has already explained this.

First off, why are you comparing Telltale's actions with Dontnod's? Secondly, what would be the point of bringing Rachel back? She was a no

• Why did Max get her power? Why?... What was the point of the first game? Nothing was explained so far, and I’m talking about the hole franchise not only this game.
    The dialogues are cringe and too slow. The villain of the first season
    is pretty bad to be honest. The ending where you destroy the hole town in order to stay with Chloe is selfish and doesn’t make any sense, it shouldn’t even be an option. And all your choices are biased with Max's feelings; I don’t care about the girl trying to kill herself, I want to let her die but I can’t.
    I’m not here to hate the game, it has good points and the atmosphere of the game and its main story are much immersive for a lot of people, but it still is overrated and has a lot of problems.

Box Tv posted: »

Why did Max get her power? Why?... What was the point of the first game? Nothing was explained so far, and I’m talking about the hole franch

• I don’t care about the girl trying to kill herself, I want to let her die but I can’t.

Wow

Box Tv posted: »

Why did Max get her power? Why?... What was the point of the first game? Nothing was explained so far, and I’m talking about the hole franch

• Am I the only one who actually found Rachel to be manipulative and annoying? I only liked the parts of the game she was not directly involved with.

• The best thing about Episode 3 is that Eliot was calling out Chloe's stupid decisions. He is like Max (The other self) in Max's dream in S1 Episode 5. Why weren't there option to agree with hi- oh yeah, Chloe should stay as an asshole for the canon. Eliot is my second favourite character of this game with Kate Marsh being the first.

I was saying almost the exact same thing in my play through (which I am working on and will be up shortly). Eliot was speaking rationally and practically, pointing out obvious stupid decisions by Chloe and calling her out on her and Rachel's bullshit. But guess what the game does, like with all the other people that try to point these things out to our main "heroes," they're presented as the bad guys. Eliot starts speaking rational sense, whoops, he starts acting crazy and locks Chloe in the office. David tries to help Chloe and get her life on track, nope, he's an abusive ex-soldier who Chloe calls a "fascist." James is trying to protect his daughter from a woman who brought drug users and criminals into their home and showed no interest in being a mother to Rachel, turns out he hires Damon to murder her. Dream Max tells real Max about how Chloe uses and controls her, all of real Max's dialogue options are to disagree with her and the game immediately goes into recap mode of Chloe and Max's "bonding." Meanwhile, our main characters like Chloe and Rachel, who constantly show off their worst qualities and traits, suffer little to no repercussions or consequences for their actions and are questionably praised by most of the other characters around them and put on some pedestal. It's practically insulting to my intelligence to see these characters that are so horrible, so stupid, and constantly make awful decisions or questionable actions be presented as the heroes of the story.

(Spoiler)

• You are not. Rachel was exactly like Chloe in the original game: controlling, manipulative, and strings along her cohort (in this case Chloe, but in the original, Max) into sketchy shit that they shouldn't even be involved with in the first place.

Am I the only one who actually found Rachel to be manipulative and annoying? I only liked the parts of the game she was not directly involved with.

• One question that no one ever mentioned:

Who the fuck is this character, Samantha?

Where did she come from? Why did she care so much about Nathan Prescott? She wasn't in the main game, was she?

Unless someone has the answers, I will count her as Samantha Ex-Machina.

• edited December 2017

Just some secondary character you meet in episode 1 and can talk to in episode 2 of BTS and can overhear/see at points in episode 3. I guess she cares about Nathan because she's some childhood friend? Or maybe he confides in her with things regarding the real dad of the year, Sean Prescott. I dunno. She's not one of Jefferson's victims, since her name wasn't on any of the binders in the dark room, so I guess something happened to cause her break up with Nathan (if they were dating) or leave Blackwell. Probably dear ol' dad.

Sean Prescott: watching how Nathan looks genuinely happy for once with Samantha Aww, my boy looks so happy. Welp, time to destroy that.

One question that no one ever mentioned: Who the fuck is this character, Samantha? Where did she come from? Why did she care so much a

• I think I can answer. (Not sure if you'll like it, but I'll try.)

I'd like to think that Samantha is one of the few people in Blackwell that sees beyond his reputation as the rich kid and Sean Prescott's son, and sympathizes him being bullied just because he's a Prescott, plus his issues concerning his father based on how much of an asshole he is towards him.

No, she's not in the first game. Two possible reasons for that.
    1. It may be because, sadly, Nathan took her to the Dark Room after he got so close with her. All because of Jeffershit manipulating him.
    2. She already graduated before Max enrolled to the school.

One question that no one ever mentioned: Who the fuck is this character, Samantha? Where did she come from? Why did she care so much a

• Hmm, as far as I can remember Samantha's name wasn't on any of the binders in the dark room. Unless it was one that normally wouldn't be easy to see, I suppose. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong about that.
    She probably graduated from Blackwell by then.
    I guess her graduating Blackwell and then likely enrolling in college, could've led to Nathan's situation getting worse and all the more easy for him to be manipulated by Jeffershit.

I think I can answer. (Not sure if you'll like it, but I'll try.) I'd like to think that Samantha is one of the few people in Blackwell t

• Where did she come from?

No idea.

Why did she care so much about Nathan Prescott?

I've got no clue.

She wasn't in the main game, was she?

Nope, never appeared or mentioned once.

Ultimately, she contributed absolutely nothing of value to this game and was simply just there. She had no purpose and doesn't even make an appearance in the final episode (unless she's the girl who had like two broken ribs or something, which is mentioned briefly in the hospital).

• Samantha helps you flesh out Chloe's character just a little bit more. You know, the main character of the game.
    Seems good enough reason to me for her to be in the game.

That Luke guy from the original game however. Now that was a waste of space.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.