Detroit: Become Human Official Discussion Thread

Comments

• Connor is my favorite too.
    I've played him as a nice guy deviant and as a cold machine, and both paths work really well.
    In most games the "evil" options are too over the top, out of character, or just for shits and giggles. But for Connor they make perfect sense and you can't even get mad at the guy for doing what he's programmed to do.

Overall I think the game rewards the nice guy approach a little bit too much though.

• CathalOHaraCathalOHara Moderator

Relieved to say that I'm really enjoying it thus far! I'm still quite early into it but the game has started gearing itself up now and I'm already liking it far more than Beyond Two Souls. Connor is pretty much Jayden from Heavy Rain with how his gameplay works.

• Detroit is basically just Heavy Rain but takes place in the future and has better voice acting and characters.

CathalOHara posted: »

Relieved to say that I'm really enjoying it thus far! I'm still quite early into it but the game has started gearing itself up now and I'm a

• Without any spoilers, can anyone who has played tell me how evenly play time is divided between the three characters?

• edited May 2018

The playtime is pretty evenly divided. I´m sure if you add everything up there will be some differences, but nothing really noticable when you´re playing the game.
    There´s no main character that stands out as getting more, or less attention than the others.

The side characters on the other hand, that´s a different story.

Without any spoilers, can anyone who has played tell me how evenly play time is divided between the three characters?

• Haven't finished the game on a first run yet but loving it so far, I've been playing Connor as a calculated loyalist who still attempts to have a good relationship with his partner, though it often proves difficult. Kara I've purposely played as more emphatic and non-violent, always striving to find the best means of protecting Alice whilst not killing anyone, so we elected to escape the house without a confrontation with Todd. Markus hasn't reached his revolutionary state with me yet, so I'll have to see where I go with that - currently he has very mixed and conflicted feelings about humans and is the most open to aggression.

I do love the extras in this game and the points system - you can unlock artwork, behind the scenes videos, special prequel shorts, music and there's even an Arkham style character model system with over a hundred characters to learn more about.

• Amazing.

Amazing, fantastic, and very good.

• I love Connor and I don't even know why

• Hank says Connor was pissing him off with his coin, yet this old grump tries to do it just like his partner. HA!

• It is unfortunate that I don't have a PS4, this seems like a game worth buying. I have watched most of the scenes and it really feels much better written story than Heavy Rain. All three main protagonists are likable and interesting in their own way.

The game also brings some interesting question about the concept of androids, artificial intelligence and what being alive means.

• Here's a scene that I'm pretty sure not many get to see on their first playthrough.

• It's like a mixture between I Robot and Ex-Machina.

It is unfortunate that I don't have a PS4, this seems like a game worth buying. I have watched most of the scenes and it really feels much b

• edited May 2018

While the main plot isn't as interesting as I thought it would be its still Quantic Dreams best game to date. It's more involving than any interactive game in the past 5 years. It's kind of sad how downhill this genre of games have gone since The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us. These past 3 to 5 years all we've got is subpar stories with little to no alteration to the story as far as choices go

• Anyone else think Connor looks like Rhys from Tales from the Borderlands? Or is it just me?

• mostlypoptartsmostlypoptarts ModeratorFormer Telltale Staff

I would play a full game of just Connor's storyline. Really thought I would like Markus more, since I think Jesse Williams is a phenomenal actor, but everything with Connor and Hank was way more enjoyable. I had to back out to the main menu more than one time to fix a mistake of mine :joy:

• edited May 2018

You could kill Kara and Markus early on or get them arrested I suppose. Not sure what sort of ramifications it will have on the story though haha.

I would play a full game of just Connor's storyline. Really thought I would like Markus more, since I think Jesse Williams is a phenomenal a

• SPOILERS

This game was fucking amazing and I almost got a perfect ending on my first playthrough.

Kara shot Todd, saved Luther at every chance, and stole the bus tickets from the human family. Made it to the Canadian checkpoint and had Jerry sacrifice himself so I could get through. Alice, Kara, and Luther are living happily in Canada.

Markus led a peaceful protest and kept North, Simon, and Josh alive. Once cornered by the soldiers he started singing and won over public opinion. Androids are recognized as an intelligent lifeform.

Connor is where things got fucked up. Despite having a great relationship with Hank, I failed to find the picture of his son and never got that part of the backstory. So when Connor turned deviant and went to Cyberlife to free the androids, Hank was confused by who was the real Connor and the fake Connor and asked what his son's name is. I had no idea why the fuck he asked that since we never talked about it, and I incorrectly guessed Anthony and he shot me dead. So fucking frustrated and I almost rewound to change my answer but I decided to keep my decision. Sucks.

• Finally picking it up tomorrow! I don't usually overhype myself for anything, but I can't help myself this time around.

• So... who else is staring at an empty menu?
    I hate how much of a softie I am sometimes.

• I didn't let her go. She's far too entertaining and I want my friends to experience her when I let them play the game.

Onmens posted: »

So... who else is staring at an empty menu? I hate how much of a softie I am sometimes.

• Yup, I let Chloe go.
    Like all androids, she deserves to be free.

So... who else is staring at an empty menu? I hate how much of a softie I am sometimes.

• Genocided all deviants who aren't intelligent life form or any of that garbage. Apperantly on of the endings you can discover that deviancy was created by Cyberlife and Conner was programmed to be their leader and be puppeteered. However good old me got the good ending where humans win against these abomination plastics. Sure Connor gets deactivated but he's just a machine so overall who cares.

In other news I felt this game had a transhuman/robot/AI agenda since all humans are portrayed as evil or abusive or annoying(except Hank?) but what do I know?

For someone's curioisity, red ice(drug in the game) can be traced back to some radio show called red ice. Its creator/founder/host is labelled in ze good ol wikipedia "white surpremacist jholocoast denying antisemitic conspiracy theorist" Bit interesting

There's also a secret survey.

• edited June 2018

When can we access the extras section? I’m pretty new into the game and just finished the section where Kara cleans the house and the only thing the extras say is downloading, please wait.

• edited June 2018

Here are easter eggs in Detroit. Some of them are well hidden. Others are easily found.

Though, this one can mess with the gamers.

The fact that Kara and Alice can stay in a motel in the "Fugitives" chapter is also a reference to "Heavy Rain". One of the symbols you can choose in "Capitol Park" is the same symbol seen in "Beyond: Two Souls". Another easter egg you can find is during the "Battle For Detroit" chapter as Kara. After picking up the gun, there is a sign with four titles. "Heavy Rain" "To Infinity and Beyond" "Nomad Soul" "Jungle 2"

Here's a fun fact; the Traci deviants is portrayed by Amelia Rose Blaire, and she is the fiance to Bryan Dechart, the man who portrays Connor. And if you spare them, you can find them in Jericho.

• That game made me remember why I HATE the new save system of Telltales games (and why I don't begins new Telltales games. As soon as I'm finished with the stories I began I'm done with this company unless that chage back to old save system). At least I don't have to replay a whole 20% of the game just because one of the choice was unclear or because I want to try things.

• Just finished my first run of the game, there was some truly touching moments and I am amazed how crazy complex the flow charts get towards the end. Unfortunately I got a sad and somber ending for Kara where both Luther and Alice died on the river, yet it felt right for the story I had created to have a moment of heartbreak amidst the excitement of liberation. Everyone in this game had some great acting, especially Connor who clearly had to play the character in numerous ways. The scene with the peaceful march with Markus was powerful too.

• So much for the kindness of strangers. Figured it out myself.

• Hm, I played through the concentration camp chapter last night. Don´t think I´ll be going down that path again.
    David Cage is not one for subtlety, is he?

• edited June 2018

A pretty easy fix for that would be putting in checkpoints once you've completed an episode. Honestly I don't know why the removed it cause it's pretty simplistic. Like every time you quite a Telltale game and come back you have to restart the stage you were last on so the checkpoints are clearly already there.

Kenshinzen posted: »

That game made me remember why I HATE the new save system of Telltales games (and why I don't begins new Telltales games. As soon as I'm fin

• Clearly.

I know Walking Dead season 2 had the chapter select, and on top of that each chapter was split into 3 or 4 checkpoints, so you could be really accurate.
    There was also the normal 6-chapter select of TFTB and GOT, and then it was gone.

It should really come back, especially since Telltale's choice engine is still faulty. Before starting each episode, you gotta pray to the consequence gods that your save file doesn't have a glitch in it, making your previous big choices -- and progress -- irrelevant.

A pretty easy fix for that would be putting in checkpoints once you've completed an episode. Honestly I don't know why the removed it cause

• Just finished my first playthrough and I have to say, looking at endings and other peoples' playthroughs on Youtube, this game handles branching choices better than any other game I've ever played. It's even possible for Kara to die in her second chapter!

• I've finished my first playthrough and I definitely have to agree with the opinion that this is Quantic Dream's best game, by a wide margin even (in my opinion). I really, really enjoyed my time with it, by the end of the game I was on the edge of my seat with worry that I'd fuck up and get any of the main characters killed. Thankfully I was able to breathe a sigh of relief once it ended without me having to sacrifice anyone along the way.
    Now I guess it's time to jump back in and go for the other choices... which will probably make me feel like a horrible person considering some of the trophies required for the platinum, or some of the endings that I've seen online.

• I´m on my last trophy now, the one where you have to get Connor killed every chance you get.
    Using the playthrough to pick choices I never would otherwise with the other characters.
    Trying to see if there´s something to a distant Kara - Alice relationship.

• It amuses me you can tell Markus as Kara that you wouldn't care if Alice was human or android and then casually abandon her in the next scene if it does bother you... :p

• I have been watching this whole game online and I am incredibly impressed. Compared to Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls this is huge improvement in terms of storytelling and portraying characters you can care about. It's definitely one I will be picking up sometime down the road.

The connection Kara and Alice have like mother and daughter isn't something you see often in video games [or that I can name immediately off the top of my head] so it was great to finally see this. Although I do feel Kara as a character they could've done with little more to her beyond just her focus is to protect Alice. Here's hoping we get some DLC prequel of what happened before Kara was beaten to death by Todd and reset.

!

But as I said before, it was really sweet seeing a mother and daughter relationship on screen, and I'm just so happy they brought Kara back after that tech demo all those years ago.

Markus story and the impact it has as a whole, is definitely diverse and I like that there are so many different outcomes overall [heck just the game overall. I'm shocked by how many different endings and outcomes there are] Definitely his potential role as a leader to either to take things peaceful, or rise up with violence to free the androids I feel was a great decision, as it allows the player to make that choice.

I prefer the idea of him being robo Jesus than 'scary eyes man raging war'. But the earlier stuff with him and his Papa who genuinely cared for him, I love that.

The strongest storyline [or at my most favorite at least] is with Connor and Hank. I really enjoyed those parts of the game and seeing Connor's potential to become a deviant, while having a potential friendship with Hank as well. You can see his transformation on screen as the game processes and he starts acting more lifelike. This is something I noticed for Kara too, as she and Connor move and behave very robotic at first and gradually their body language becomes more natural. Definitely bravo to Quantic Dreams for putting those details.

Probably the weaker side of Connor's story would be if he remained a machine, it's much more enjoyable seeing the development he goes through into a living being, and helping Hank through his poopy problems. That way I can pretend in the perfect ending they became like father and son, and no Amanda fucked everything up with her fuckery >.< curse that mind controlling robo whore.

After this though, I really REALLY want some Connor Hank spin-off game where they can go solve some crimes like a little Father and Son duo. Or dammit just some DLC side stories/prequels/epilogues on the various other characters, like I said with Kara or even new characters.

Honestly with the way it is. I wouldn't be surprise if this game got a future installment set in the same universe. But yes I feel so positive about this one, and I'm a android nut so this definitely was up my alley.

Now, now I must spam.

• The future dystopian/cyberpunk style in films, TV shows and games has increased in recent years. The sequel to Blade Runner, both the Netflix adaptions/stories of Altered Carbon and Mute and now this game. all released in the span of a few months of each other. The last game that did this Blade Runner-esque style great was Deus Ex: Human Revolution, amazing game. I can't wait to pick this up when I can.

• There's also a rise in the number of stuff with human like androids. Clearly we can add Westworld to that list, and I gather Humans too...

The future dystopian/cyberpunk style in films, TV shows and games has increased in recent years. The sequel to Blade Runner, both the Netfli

• yup,there is but i wont spoil :)

I´m on my last trophy now, the one where you have to get Connor killed every chance you get. Using the playthrough to pick choices I never

Sign in to comment in this discussion.