Is your favorite an *******?

edited December 2004 in General Chat
I came across this site somehow and its pretty interesting. The best part is, its totally legal and free. Go figure for the internet. http://www.*************************.org/

Comments

• edited November 2004
    sorry but i have to edit this, this is not completely legit...
    people just assume since that no one's around to make a profit it's completely legit. I'm going to have to remove the link you have posted. even though the above website is realy good about legality (which i commend them for it) it's not all square if you know what i mean. it also says in the forum rules ( http://www.telltalegames.com/forum/viewthread?thread=28 ) that no links to abandonware are to be posted. I've ran these rules by troy and they all agree. sorry for any frustration this may have caused.
  • edited November 2004
    Out of curiosity, what was this?
  • edited November 2004
    he was linking to a site which contained abandonware, which isn't allowed. most abandonware sites don't contain all "legal" downloads. the site he posted is relatively good with posting legit software but even asks at the bottom that. if they are mistaken and this shouldn't be posting then they will remove it. once again sorry for any confusion and frustration it brought, i know he meant well so it's not a big deal. :D
  • edited November 2004
    it think guybrusguy wants to keep the site for hinmself :((
  • edited November 2004
    LOL, no it isn't like that.

telltale can get in trouble if someone posts a link to something illegal, telltale is responsible for everything on its website including the forums. so, if someone posts a link to a website that contains illegal material, it's tell tales ass and they could get in trouble, even though something like that with that particular site is not likely to happen. it's better to be safe then sorry.
  • edited November 2004
    LOL, every underdog has its day... Mozilla Firefox even has a search-plugin for that unnamed site... ;)
  • edited November 2004
    lol....nice dodging work
  • edited November 2004
    Whatever dude. I think that it was totally wrong to edit this thread. That site is 100% legit and I'm sure that you're loving the site as I write this.

Anyway, if anyone wants the real link, its on my profile.

Any hate mail is appretiated.
  • edited November 2004
    sorry man, i did'nt mean to upset you :) . thats just how the rules go.....

at the bottom of you page you linked it says

"Disclaimer: http:\\www.********.***does not claim rights to any software on the site. To the best of our knowledge, these titles have been discontinued by their publishers. If you know otherwise, please contact us and we will remove them accordingly. Thank you for your attention."

a friend of mine writes this
    "Abandonware is not legal.
    If the copyright holder has given their permission to release a game for free, it becomes freeware. The majority of abandonware on the site has not been released by the copyright holder."

she is compleatly correct in her staitment.
  • edited November 2004
    Ohhh, that site, I've seen it before, I couldn't tell if it was legit or not.

EDIT: Guybrush_Guy you can see the tittle of the thread if the last post was on this thread from the main page.
  • edited November 2004
    i already know of this, thanx for the info though :D
  • edited November 2004
    I feel I have to say something about this... :D

Yes, the site referenced in this thread isn't 100% legal. However, the site maintainers seem very keen on making the site more and more legal, therefore asking companies to tell them if they should remove downloads from particular games, and they have shown that they make good on that promise (Team17 asked, for example, that all downloads of their games be removed, and they were indeed promptly removed). As such, I hold this site in somewhat greater respect than other so-called abandonware sites.
    They have also proven themselves by being chosen by several bigwig developers as the distribution channel of choice for some big official freeware downloads.

I myself make sure to maintain contact with many developers from various big-name (or used-to-be-big-name) developer houses, and I hope that I have also in some small way contributed to those companies taking the decision to make some or all of their previous hit games freeware.

I do also maintain links to those classics on another forum, to which I will link if the mods deem it appropriate.
  • edited November 2004
    they have metal gear solid 1 pc!

Woot :D
  • edited December 2004
    they have metal gear solid 1 pc!

Woot :D
    ^ Which is definitely not legal. Don't think for a second that Microsoft would release it for free. To the best of my knowledge, only one free game (except for the Windows-bundled ones) has ever come out of Redmond, and that was "Allegiance". Amazingly, it also came with source, which is another first for the big M$.
  • edited December 2004
    So what :P
This discussion has been closed.