I'm thankful for MCSM and here's why

In the Telltale community it's been trendy to hate on MCSM, but I really enjoyed the series and I'm glad that it happened. I don't love it as much as I love TWD, GoT, or Batman, but it definitely doesn't deserve the hate that it receives.

First off, MCSM gave me an opportunity to get my young child into both Telltale and Minecraft. We now play Minecraft together all of the time as a result of getting into MCSM. We also bought the Telltale character skins and go on adventures playing as members of the Order of the Stone. We're both looking forward to playing other Telltale games together when he is older.

Second of all, s1 of Minecraft was basically the only Telltale game besides TWD s1 that made a profit. Do you like Batman: The Enemy Within or The Walking Dead Final Season? Chances are you should be thanking MCSM for those titles because without it, Telltale would likely have closed a lot sooner.

Last of all, being such a simple game gave it opportunities to change up the Telltale gameplay mechanics a bit. Player characters and NPC's are customizable with various armors and appearances, both seasons introduced a more dynamic combat system than any Telltale game before it, and a lot of the choices change dialogue and even which characters are with you during the adventure. The environments and soundtrack are solid as well.

I'm not in the Minecraft age demographic but I enjoy this game regardless. I appreciate it for what it is: a fun, creative Telltale title aimed at a younger audience. It provided me many fun memories with my child and helped Telltale as a company, so I consider that a success. If any ex-devs are somehow reading this, thanks for your hard work and for the good times!

Comments

• I liked the first game it was alright and yeah it sold pretty well,but the second season was completely unnecessary and that's what pissed me off and many others.

The soundtrack in Season 2 was awesome tho so there's that i guess.

• just finished the two seasons and i had to check this place out, and yes i totally agree..
    and i loved 105-108 so much

• 105-108 was awesome... I wanted them to continue making mini adventures like that forever. There really was unlimited potential in a universe like Minecraft and Telltale did a great job with it.

Hersani posted: »

just finished the two seasons and i had to check this place out, and yes i totally agree.. and i loved 105-108 so much

• I enjoyed MCSM, though maybe not as much as the other titles. It was fun and had good work put into it. (I enjoyed the first season way more than the second one. Though as iForias says above S2 had the better soundtrack).

Player characters and NPC's are customizable with various armors and appearances, both seasons introduced a more dynamic combat system than any Telltale game before it, and a lot of the choices change dialogue and even which characters are with you during the adventure.

Yup. You said it. That was one of the more interesting aspects of MCSM. There was a lot of character and companion customisation involved -- especially in the second season.

• I really love both Minecraft Story Mode games. They're one of my favorites, to be honest. The Minecraft world has never felt "alive" to me, but with that game it feels like it's real, like it's alive.

• I completely agree, minecraft worlds feel kind of empty, even with the new structures and mobs they've been recently adding, you still feel pretty alone, and the world doesn't have much meaning and interesting stuff. Only if you build lots of stuff around your world or play in a big survival server, the world will feel alive and with a story.

But minecraft story mode fixed this, you've got interesting towns and cities with people, unique characters, unique settings, stories, backstories, lore, and a sense of mystery that is missing form the current minecraft game, and it's a game I will never forget because of that.

BlackCat1 posted: »

I really love both Minecraft Story Mode games. They're one of my favorites, to be honest. The Minecraft world has never felt "alive" to me, but with that game it feels like it's real, like it's alive.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.