Next-Gen Discussion Thread (PS5/Xbox Series X)

Next-Gen of consoles is almost upon us. Sony is about to announce something about the PS5, maybe some games, and we know that the Xbox is aiming for big power with big studio buyouts.

Discuss the 9th generation of video games here.

Comments

• I feel like there's going to be a lot of discussion today in the forum and for the next few weeks, with more console details and new game reveals. Figure it would be best to not clutter up the Whatever's Thread.

As of writing, the PS5 "Future of Gaming" event happens in 2 and a half hours, at 1pm PST or 4pm EDT, or regional equivalent.

• First off, this [spoiler] possible WB Games title / leak / maybe PS5 event announcement?
    I just woke up, and I'm already about to hyperventilate myself to sleep.

Logo for Blur in the top right corner, a legendary visual effects company -- they also made the cinematic announcement trailers for Arkham City, Origins and Knight.

• edited June 2020

I'm pretty excited to see what happens. Right now it seems like RE8, a new Crash Bandicoot, HZD 2 and God of War 2 will appear.

Then possibly a new Ratchet and Clank, Demon Souls and Bloodborne remasters as well as Silent Hill may reemerge.

Also that leaked image you posted really doesnt hold a candle. Random reddit post man showing he has full access to the video in private but post the ending screen thats nothing but logos that have already been released? Sure. Not saying Batman wont be there as there is a chance, but I highly highly doube that image has any substance.

• Random reddit post man showing he has full acsess to the video in private but post the ending screen thats nothing but logos that have already been released?

That is true... Still, we won't know till we see/don't see it.

Here's the official PS5 stream. Starts
    in 15mins

• I am really hoping for a new Batman game. Same for a Crash and Ratchet and Clank game. This is gonna be cool.

• Opening the show with a Rockstar GTA V promo was... Interesting.

Also, wow. I forgot Playstation turns 25 this year. (or did last December?)

Also also... SPIDAH MAN
    MILES MORALES
    SEMI-SEQUEL THING?!
    SNOWY NEW YORK?!!
    I'M SO HYPED

• So is the Spider Man Miles Morales an outright sequel, or an expansion pack? Either way, I’m excited.

• SPIDER-MAN 2!! It looks damn awesome.

• Ratchet And Clank with Dimension-hopping set pieces?! Sign me the F up!

• edited June 2020

I feel like it's a stand-alone continuation of the first game, might be a PS4+5 release. Not quite Spider-Man 2, but not quite an expansion to part 1.

This is probably so Insomniac can work on both that and the new Ratchet and Clank, especially because Spidey MM is out this holiday.

So is the Spider Man Miles Morales an outright sequel, or an expansion pack? Either way, I’m excited.

• edited June 2020

Returnal looks interesting.
    Sci-Fi time loop thrillers are my favourites.

I'm also loving Destruction Allstars. Destruction derby titles are cool.

Keda's cutscenes look gorgeous.

Goddamn it I already know Goodbye Volcano High is gonna be a sad story game.
    Teenage Dinosaurs about to be extinct. Especially since it feels like the human race could be going that route any day now.

• edited June 2020

First off: some of the indies are looking cool! The High School Volcano Furry one looked terrible though. I’ll never understand why Furrys appeal to people.

One thing that bugs me is how 75% of these games all look the exact same. Same hyper realism. I wish they tried to be creative with visuals and never do photo realism like Telltale did. (Aside From GOTG)

Hoping that we’ll see The Wolf Among Us 2, it’s almost impossible but still. I also hope they stop showing games and just show us the console.

• HITMAN 3?!

DID NOT EXPECT THIS!! HYYYPE

• Little Devil Inside is looking adorable and unique.
    Great looking environments mixed with nice paper-mache-like character models.

Great humour in the trailer too. Bomb drop to toilet-transition joke. That got me.

• Gotta give props to the graphic design team. These little transitions between trailers are fun and cool!

• KERO KERO BONITO IS IN A GAME. BUG SNACKS.

WHOAAAA THIS IS AMAZING. THEY'RE MY FAVOURITE BAND.

• Deathloop has me sold already.

Animated James Bond Dishonored Time Loop.
    That's a godly sentence.

• Didn’t the first trailer for Deathloop have Dave Fennoy voicing one of the main characters? Was he recast, because that didn’t sound like Dave.

Still looking good and am excited for it, but a little less now, not going to lie.

• Wow. That Resident Evil 8 caught me off guard. Maybe because I don't know much about Resi except for VII

(also, I guess this means the team is going to try and make as many sequels with Roman numerals in the title as possible lol)

• HORIZON ZERO DAWN 2!!!!

I had a feeling, but still, great to see it.

• Horizon 2 is a timely reminder to me that I should probably play the first game.

The Robotic Ice Age is coming! Oooh yeah.

• Yes, you definitely should.

AChicken posted: »

Horizon 2 is a timely reminder to me that I should probably play the first game. The Robotic Ice Age is coming! Oooh yeah.

• edited June 2020

I'm still unsure if I like the look of the PS5.

It looks like what all those fan made "next gen" designs for every single console gen looks like. Like a building from Mirror's Edge.

At the same time... Holy shit.
    Playstation has been absent from E3 the past two years. This is a phenomenal comeback.
    I'd actually say that this is my E3 moment. I really need to take a long time to relax and recover from all that hype and amazing new reveals.

• Was thinking that too. I dont think it was ever confirmed but he has a pretty distinct voice so I would say it was a safe bet he was in that first trailer.

If I had to guess its probably because his character is a lot younger. They probably wanted a younger person. Deathloop looks great though. Wasnt expecting it to look like its going to play like Dishonored but the idea of Dishonored with guns seems like a great idea. Very excited for Deathloop.

Didn’t the first trailer for Deathloop have Dave Fennoy voicing one of the main characters? Was he recast, because that didn’t sound like Dave. Still looking good and am excited for it, but a little less now, not going to lie.

• edited June 2020

That event was overall very good with a good variate of games.

Im honestly shocked about Spider-Man. I didnt think it was impossible for it to show up but I was not expecting it to come out so soon. (Im assuming its probably going to be a launch title.) That said, its really weird they didnt really show off any gameplay for a launch title but then showed off Rachet and Clank gameplay which isnt a launch title. Both these games look great, but I just find that a bit weird they didnt show off real gameplay for the game that releases in a few months but the same studio shows off gameplay for a game releasing in probably a year.

Also RE8. Lookin pretty

The boy Ethan is back.

(Sadly its name is still super damn clunky. Why not Resident Evil 8: Village? Doesnt really seem worth making the title clunky just for the roman numeral.)

• Damn, I've never heard of this game before. Really sucks if they recasted Fennoy. You don't usually hear about things like that in the video game industry.

In the topic of Deathloop though, it's sounding mighty interesting.

From the Playstation blog

But the island’s inhabitants aren’t the only obstacles in your path. Deathloop is Arkane Lyon’s innovative take on an immersive multiplayer experience; a story-driven first-person shooter where your main antagonist might be another player. You’ll experience Deathloop’s main story as Colt, hunting down targets across the island as you try to break the loop.

Meanwhile, another player might temporarily enter your story in the role of Julianna, a rival assassin with her own singular goal: Protect the loop by eliminating Colt. Of course, if you’re feeling particularly villainous, you can slip into the shoes of Julianna yourself, jumping into someone else’s Blackreef for a tense game of cat-and-mouse. (The multiplayer invasion element is completely optional, so you toggle it on or off as desired.)

Didn’t the first trailer for Deathloop have Dave Fennoy voicing one of the main characters? Was he recast, because that didn’t sound like Dave. Still looking good and am excited for it, but a little less now, not going to lie.

• Oh my god! We got Ratchet and Clank along with Spider-Man!

What a day! I truly wasn't expecting this, I joined the stream a bit before it started. And I was shocked, to say the least, I was a bit surprised when I saw Miles on the screen. All in all, really looking forward to this generation of gaming consoles!

• edited June 2020

I'm late for the party but HOLY SHIT!!! I'm soo melted on the ground for hype.

First, we got Spider-Man: Miles Morales. On question: is it a sequel, a spin-off or an expansion? Either way, I am excited to play as Miles because he is a web-head beginner and I hope he plays very different compared to Peter Parker. He needs to have us feel like we play the older Spider-Man games like SM2, Web of Shadows, Ultimate. I also hope that Peter Parker is gonna be his sidesick in some parts of this game and have us switch to play as him like in the Arkham games.

Second, Resident Evil 8 looks amazing. I'm actually surprised Ethan Winters comes back as the main PC. I really hope this time they will make him likable like all the other main protagonists because in RE7, he seemed so emotionless and didn't talk very much. I'm also surprised by the fact that not only Chris Redfield is coming back but they also changed his character model. I guess it makes sense because not everyone was happy the way he looked in RE7. I gotta say, I'm kind of disappointed that they put a spoilery scene at the end of this trailer when

Chris says sorry and kills Ethan's wife, Mia, right in front of him. That should have been a twist. Why did they show an important plot point of this game? It seems that he is going to be the main antagonist of this game. I really hope they don't force us to kill him and have us find a way to bring him back to the good side cause that would be just a huge middle finger to Chris' fans.

Thirdly, Demon's Souls Remake by Bluepoint Games??? WHAT!!!! I actually never expected that and as a huge fan of the Soulsborne franchise, I'm nothing but hyped. Demon's Souls is the only Souls game that I still haven't played. That should totally keep us, the fans, waiting for Fromsoftware to finish working on Elden Ring.

This is easily one of the only good days of 2020.It's still not over and I still hate the specific year but this livestream made me calm down a little bit.

• edited June 2020

Capcom's thought process on making RE8:

Step 1: Use Roman Numeral VIII
    Step 2: Find word that fits VIII (it's Village, all caps)
    Step 3: Make RE game around a Village.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they'll ever strike the clever RE/Biohazard title-reversal+numerical tease they achieved with RE7.
    That was some great titling. What happens when we get to IX?

Poogers555 posted: »

That event was overall very good with a good variate of games. Im honestly shocked about Spider-Man. I didnt think it was impossible for

• Deathloop lookin' like a Dishonored game and that's all I needed to know to confirm that I'm getting it whenever it releases on PC.

Resident Evil 8 lookin' like an even bigger departure from the series's usual shenanigans than 7 with a little inspiration from 4. Still excited for it, it looks great! I wonder how the werewolves will work storywise.

• I'm Interested in the Spiderman spin-off Ratchet,RE8 and this game no one talked about here i think

Those graphics are insane looking like a Pixar movie i'll definitely be keeping an eye on this

• edited June 2020

This game def sparked my interest as well. Looks really cool.

Also Returnal looks like it has some good potential as well.

iFoRias posted: »

I'm Interested in the Spiderman spin-off Ratchet,RE8 and this game no one talked about here i think Those graphics are insane looking like a Pixar movie i'll definitely be keeping an eye on this

• omg we got a exclusive themed ps5 leak fellas

Playstation 5 - but epic.

• I was planning on buying Demon's Souls on PS3 but because of the remake announcement, I'mma wait for that instead because I want to record myself playing that game. Unfortunately, I already know what type of bosses I am about to encounter so it's not gonna be a fully blind playthrough. However, I don't think I remember the ways of defeating those bosses so I think it's gonna be a decent experience.

• They're also bringing in cut content that wasn't in the original game so there's definitely some new stuff along with the old.

AronDracula posted: »

I was planning on buying Demon's Souls on PS3 but because of the remake announcement, I'mma wait for that instead because I want to record m

• I love everything about that game apart from the title lol

iFoRias posted: »

I'm Interested in the Spiderman spin-off Ratchet,RE8 and this game no one talked about here i think Those graphics are insane looking like a Pixar movie i'll definitely be keeping an eye on this

• It was confirmed that Spider-Man: Miles Morales is an expansion pack, not a true sequel to the first game. So we don't have to worry about Peter Parker because Insomniac has a second team who works on the true sequel to the first game. I'm totally ok with that because I don't think Miles's arc will be able to fit in the story with Harry Osborn who is gonna be Venom. That's gonna be a huge deal.

• Insomniac has a second team who works on the true sequel to the first game

Damn, really? Because they've also got the new Ratchet and Clank they're developing too. So there must be 3 teams total now.
    (Though once MM comes out this holiday, I'm sure that smaller team will rejoin the main Spider-man Team.)

AronDracula posted: »

It was confirmed that Spider-Man: Miles Morales is an expansion pack, not a true sequel to the first game. So we don't have to worry about P

• I still can't get over how we now have video games that look like professionally animated movies... It just shows how far we have gotten.

• edited July 2020

A reminder that the Xbox Games Showcase happens today at 9am PT / 12pm ET.

I don't have a stake in Xbox, and my PC is not that great but I'm still hoping to see something from the game 12 Minutes. I love me some time-loop thrillers, and it looked interesting last year. Also kinda interested in Hellblade 2, because that always seemed like a one-and-done project to me.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.