Old ending for TFS

When TFS was revealed, I think it was said that they started out with the ending (or was that with Kent's team) and worked their way to the ending. Knowing the ending that we got, it doesn't seem like planning the story this way makes much difference. Before Kent's team joined, I think there was a different ending. I think this gut-wrenching/harrowing talk was also on a forum Q&A. And the tweet from Pete Hawley:
''Emotional day at Telltale talking about some tough, tough choices on character journeys. One in particular is heart-wrenching. If choices really matter, get ready..''
that was said in may.
Is the ending known? I just really want to know what this is referring to. Kent Mudle makes the old drafts look crappy, but the way Mr. Hawley is hyping it up, idk it seems interesting.

Comments

• edited July 2020

Knowing the ending that we got, it doesn't seem like planning the story this way makes much difference.

This x100000. The ending feels so detached from anything that happens in the season before that point that we could've had literally any story before it and it would still work all the same. The great advantage of starting out with the ending is that you can shape the journey to build up to it... TFS really didn't take great advantage of that.

As for the thread's point, I really do think they (Kent's team at least) always had the crappy Season 1 rehash (with the ###twist on it) as their big ending. Pete's comment probably refers to either Tenn or Louis/Violet dying in the finale in a gruesome manner, or perhaps even Minerva's fate. I remember Kent mentioning they debated a lot on whether to have a half chomped up Minerva or a self exploding (?) Dorian as the final boss.

• Agreed. They even had to write out the survivor of the bridge to make that happen, though originally Tenn had more to do with Clementine's bite.
    It was Sullene(the stout lady), btw.

Knowing the ending that we got, it doesn't seem like planning the story this way makes much difference. This x100000. The ending fee

• Good point. Though we do know that the original story was a road trip with Marlon, Rosie, Louis, Violet, and Tenn, so maybe?

• edited July 2020

I know this is isn't related to the ending, but honestly, wasn't The Final Season supposed to be an apology from telltale after what happened with A New Fronter?

• Watching this video again, more on the Eurogamer interview with Brodie Andersen. "There's going to be a variety of avenues throughout the season... but we won't ever make the player feel like they got the bad ending to the story... it's your ending."
    I also forgot about the achievements. They're different on Consoles to PC, so that's what makes me think this it's a red herring. But they're still interesting descriptions nonetheless, such as "covered up the crime" and "better life - trusted someone else".

• "It's your ending"=Clementine Lives.

I also forgot about the achievements. They're different on Consoles to PC, so that's what makes me think this it's a red herring. But they're still interesting descriptions nonetheless, such as "covered up the crime" and "better life - trusted someone else".

Huh. That's interesting.

Ghetsis posted: »

Watching this video again, more on the Eurogamer interview with Brodie Andersen. "There's going to be a variety of avenues throughout the se

• edited July 2020

did skybound rewrite the ending themselves?

No. They already had it all planned before telltale shut down, if I remember correctly, they said that episode 3 & 4 was pretty much (almost) done, all what ep3 needed was to be polished and ep4 still needed to be animated.

• No, I don't think Skybound has any writers for the game.

• I don't recall Kent making the old scripts out to be "crappy", when he explained something from older scripts, he just explained them and why they were removed, or why he thinks they were removed, that's really it.

The tweet itself was almost certainly referring to Clementine's Story and how it would end, the Team started by planning out the Ending, but with it being a rather significant aspect of the Story, taking the time to really consider things and lock in the Ending they wish to go with was the right option for them.

On a personal note, I am really glad they went with the Clementine lives Ending, it was the best way to conclude the Story, perfect I'd go as far to say

Sign in to comment in this discussion.