"A Certain Doom" Episode Discussion (Yes, there is TWD on)

I almost forgot myself, but I didn't. World Beyond is on afterwards? I'm not sure if I care for another spin-off, but I might watch it just because (feel free to include thoughts on that in this thread).

Last time...something something Whisperers something. Don't remember it well. It was like a lifetime ago. Comment before, while, and after you watch.

Comments

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited October 2020

I had read reviews that said this episode was anticlimactic, and that has become clear watching it. I mean, you tease me with Beta vs. Negan, you throw in Daryl, and it's over in 7 seconds. Shame we had to wait 7 months for that.

• I'm honestly still in shock they are going to make another show after this wraps up. The ratings and reviews for this show have fallen in the gutter. View wise, it does pretty well compared to other shows but its pathetically low for what it use to pull in and I really cant imagine the budget justifies the ratings much anymore. Really glad I stopped watching a while ago now as it seems the overall quality is still pretty bad where its 95% filler.

Bold prediction is this episode is going to be a huge flunk in terms of views. I also had no idea the "episode that was meant to release in 3 weeks but delayed for 7 months" was suppose to come back today until I saw the twitter promo thing after it aired lmao

I had read reviews that said this episode was anticlimactic, and that has become clear watching it. I mean, you tease me with Beta vs. Negan, you throw in Daryl, and it's over in 7 seconds. Shame we had to wait 7 months for that.

• edited October 2020

I think that was a gnarliest episode of the Walking Dead since the season 7 premiere, in terms of violence. Can't remember the last time I got a visceral reaction out of the show with Beatrice being torn apart and Beta getting his eyes stabbed.

I like the episode overall. You get some nice imagery with Beta and the horde leading up to his demise. I really liked the "Christ-like" thing they did with Beta being engulfed by the walkers at the end. Also liked the bit with the mask going over the cliff at the end. Finally getting some Commonwealth stuff and the armour looks pretty good too. Very Stormtroopery. Negan and Beta bit was super anti-climactic. Literally 7 seconds before Daryl steps in lmao. Great death though.

I think this episode really suffered from being delayed for so long, which you can't really blame them for.

• It was a decent episode. It felt a bit rushed, especially second half. There were some weird time changes, like they start leading the horde and a minute later it's already night and then it's day again on the cliff, Maggie comes back and has less than a minute of screen. But it was supposed to be a season finale, I'm pretty sure they had to change a few things. Beta's death was great (despite the short battle).

I haven't watched World Beyond yet and usually try not to pay much attention to the early reviews, but man, they are killing this one.

• edited October 2020

It was a good finale to a pretty good season,i liked Beta's death a lot,much better than the one from the comics,a shame we didn't really get to see Negan beat his ass but whatever.

Saw the first episode of the new show right after and holy hell it was awful,the ending was probably the only thing that was interesting but yea everything else was terrible.

• Pretty sure they didn't change anything for the final episode,they just took their sweet ass time to release it,i also believe we'll get 6 bonus episodes around january or something i think about Maggie and what she was doing so there's that to look forward to.

Longobardi posted: »

It was a decent episode. It felt a bit rushed, especially second half. There were some weird time changes, like they start leading the horde

• I also watched the premiere of World Beyond.

I thought it was alright. Nothing great but nothing awful. It's very different from the main show or Fear in that it has a very young adults coming of age feel to it. I like the campus settlement. It gave me a similar feel to when we got to see the Commonwealth in the comics where everything looks all modernised and hunky dory. Haven't seen enough about the characters for them to really stand out yet. Very ambivalent towards them at the moment.

The best parts of the episode are probably the plane flashbacks which has some pretty stellar looking visuals, especially with the zombie tangled up in the face masks. That was fuckin' metal. The ending also introduces a couple interesting prospects for the future. Also in general the show looks nice. Well lit with lots of colour. It succeeds in separating its look from the other shows.

Unfortunately, some of the dialogue suffers from Gimple speak. Where it's dialogue that's supposed to sound deep, but they're incredibly shallow. A lot of "You know what it is" and many speeches that just don't sound natural.

Overall, it was nothing special. Maybe it'll grow into something more, who knows. The fact that it's confirmed to be a two season show gives me some hope in a more structured narrative.

• Ratings? Yes, definitely going low. But Reviews? No. Reviews for Season 9 and 10 have been excellent. While I was not the biggest fan of this particular episode, these last seasons have been great. It's so much better than Season 7 or 8. I do agree that the choice to make another spin-off was...well, not good. Especially after Fear the Walking Dead, which had a pretty sick Season 3, took such a nose dive in Season 4 and 5.

Poogers555 posted: »

I'm honestly still in shock they are going to make another show after this wraps up. The ratings and reviews for this show have fallen in th

• Negan and Beta bit was super anti-climactic. Literally 7 seconds before Daryl steps in lmao.

I think it makes sense though, Negan in the Show is fairly lean, Beta is a brute so he'd make quick work of Negan, Comic Negan gave Comic Beta a run for his money, but in the Show, had Negan been able to hold his own against a bear sized bloke like Beta, I think more eyebrows would've been raised in disbelief due to the difference in stature.

lupinb0y posted: »

I think that was a gnarliest episode of the Walking Dead since the season 7 premiere, in terms of violence. Can't remember the last time I g

• It could also be that. I find it strange how much build there is, but the last 20 minutes of the episode were very rushed. Maybe they skipped a few things and so they could explore them in the next 6 episodes. Or it just isn't a well-executed episode. Anyway, only they know.

iFoRias posted: »

Pretty sure they didn't change anything for the final episode,they just took their sweet ass time to release it,i also believe we'll get 6 b

• edited October 2020

I liked the episode. I didn't give a crap about Beta found him to be so basic that I'm fine with his quick death. I strongly believe Alpha IS the soul of the whisperer arc so everything after her death felt like dragging it out to me.

World Beyond was alright. I'm really interested to see what world politics would look like years and years into the apocalypse. One of the main problems with the TWD universe to me is that the world itself hardly ever seems to be evolving. The interactions between these three macro communities and their past were supposed to be something like that, how the world evolved, but I realize that this is the walking dead and that it's made for zombie fans so we needed to get our characters out of community walls and fighting zombies on a road trip ASAP. Meh.
    Not a big fan of the ending. Are we supposed to believe that the Civic Republic just killed a community 10k strong without any big pushback?

• edited October 2020

Not a big fan of the ending. Are we supposed to believe that the Civic Republic just killed a community 10k strong without any big pushback?

I feel like there's something more to that. There is absolutely no way that a small arms militia like what they showed at the end, no matter how well trained, was able to so easily commit mass genocide.

I liked the episode. I didn't give a crap about Beta found him to be so basic that I'm fine with his quick death. I strongly believe Alpha I

• I guess that's fair. Plus Negan's only been free from his prison cell for like a few weeks after spending 5 or so years in a prison cell.

Negan and Beta bit was super anti-climactic. Literally 7 seconds before Daryl steps in lmao. I think it makes sense though, Negan in

Sign in to comment in this discussion.