LOST

edited February 2007 in General Chat
Today starts the third season, so here's this thread to discuss the show, comment the current episodes, elaborate our own theories, etc...

btw (and to begin the discussion), don't you think this show would have made an excelent adventure game?

Comments

• edited October 2006
    There is a LOST game coming out soon isnt there?
  • edited October 2006
    I'd like to get into this show, but I feel like I need to see it from the begining, so I never watch it when it's on.

oh well!
  • edited October 2006
    I'd like to get into this show, but I feel like I need to see it from the begining, so I never watch it when it's on.

oh well!

I was going to say that it wouldn't make sense if you start watching it half way through..........but it doesn't make much now so there wouldn't be much of a difference!

:(
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2006
    I really enjoyed the season premiere, especially the first 4-5 minutes. Good stuff.
  • edited October 2006

oh well!

I hadn't seen the begining too, but recently a friend lend me the whole second season including an hour long summary of the first one, and that preaty made the trick for me. After watching just the summary and the first episode from the second season I was absolutely hooked. In about two weeks I was ready to start downloading the third season (no way now I'm gonna wait for it being aired here).

I really enjoyed the season premiere, especially the first 4-5 minutes. Good stuff.

I think it was Ok (especially the first minutes, I agree), but I was more anxious to know what happened with Locke and Ecko. Well.. I guess I'll have to wait for next week...
  • DanHDanH Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2006
    Did anyone catch which book they were about to talk about? it was something by Stephen King.
  • edited October 2006
    I gave up after season one. LOST should've been a mini series. Right now, they're stretching (or milking, rather) an already thin story. The first few episodes are all right, but after that it gets repetitive.

--Erwin
  • edited October 2006
    I gave up after season one. LOST should've been a mini series. Right now, they're stretching (or milking, rather) an already thin story. The first few episodes are all right, but after that it gets repetitive.

true... so true it is sad.
  • edited October 2006
    Sorry, but I don't agree there. Okay, it no more is the best series around, but it's mighty good still. It has definitely managed to keep its act together for the two seasons.

Still, I enjoy Prison Break more than I do Lost. As for great TV series, I'd go for OZ, as back in the day it premiered, the new 'quality tv revolution' hadn't started. It was basically the first high quality tv show in a long time. And it was great. Is great.
    edited October 2006

--Erwin

I thought that for the first few episodes of the second season - they were definitely treading water and/or progressing the story excruciatingly slowly for a long time there - but it picked up later in the season and the story is moving again. If the show runs more than 4-5 seasons I'll be upset, but I think they've successfully carried and widened the story enough to last about that long.
  • edited October 2006
    I thought that for the first few episodes of the second season - they were definitely treading water and/or progressing the story excruciatingly slowly for a long time there - but it picked up later in the season

My thoughts exactly. The series is great, and just as it started to transform into an island-drama, as in "oh no i lost my wedding ring" and "i'm sad about something" or "i'm really mad now", something actually started happening, and everyone were happy again.
  • edited October 2006
    I was one of the Designers of the Lost ARG, Which we tried to make a little like an adventure game there was some puzzles here and there, code breaking, flash games Etc..
    There was even one point when the fans of different countries had to find coded Apollo chocolate bars and when all were entered it unlocked the next stage of the game. ( kind of like a worldwide inventory based puzzle ) : )

As for the show, it's pretty good I think, even after watching it a million times over at work it still has a lot more depth and is far more engaging than most TV shows about.

I would have liked it to be more 'Adventurey' but coming up with and coding those types of puzzles takes far to long on such tight deadlines.

Well enough of that.

A proper lost AG would be great i'd say!
  • edited October 2006
    ^ That is so awesome you got to work on that.

I do have to admit I wasn't crazy about the ARG, though. I don't like the idea of people who don't participate outside the show missing out on things. But still, it was an interesting, yet maybe too involved, experience.
  • edited October 2006
    Yeah I agree with what you are saying, the whole idea was that it was for the Hardcore fans only ( and Lost fans are totally mental BTW ) and you didn't miss out on anything to do with the show as it was a completely different story.
    But I totally see where you are coming from, ABC strung it out a bit too long if you ask me.
  • edited October 2006
    Hmm, interesting. I might give it another try, then. I stopped watching when there were two more episodes to go before the season one finale. I accidentally missed the episode, and because my interest had become stagnant, I didn't bother to watch the re-run. That's how it usually goes. Somehow I keep watching, until something breaks the chain.

--Erwin
  • edited October 2006
    Yeah I agree with what you are saying, the whole idea was that it was for the Hardcore fans only ( and Lost fans are totally mental BTW ) and you didn't miss out on anything to do with the show as it was a completely different story.
    But I totally see where you are coming from, ABC strung it out a bit too long if you ask me.

Interesting. If you don't mind me asking: Do you think the answers provided in the ARG will be put into the show eventually? What do you mean by it's a completely different story? The information provided in the ARG seems much too important to placed in a game instead of the actual show, but maybe I'm just unclear in the direction the show is going.

Also, I'd like to comment that from my experience, very few people actually fully participated in the ARG. Most people just let others do the work and then read summaries and watched videos when it was all over.
  • edited October 2006
    I'm sure a couple of elements will creep into the next series but (I'm not sure if i will get into any trouble) the whole Hanso thing is pretty over for the time being as far as I know.
    I'm sure the majority of people left the clue searching to the more dedicated fans who posted the final outcomes at numerous forums. the only real indication I had that people were still into it after all that time was the volume of hits, I'm not sure how many over all but there was plenty, I think over 20M for the Hanso Foundation site.

But anyway, I didn't really want to go into it too much, I was just mentioning that a bit of influence from the old Adventures went into making the Lost ARG.
  • edited October 2006
    But anyway, I didn't really want to go into it too much

That's cool man. Thanks for the responses. Don't worry I won't push anymore.
    I was just mentioning that a bit of influence from the old Adventures went into making the Lost ARG.

Yeah hopefully we will see some adventure elements in the upcoming Lost videogame from Ubisoft.
  • edited October 2006
    greatest article on lost ever..and sums up my feelings

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14911832/
  • edited October 2006
    greatest article on lost ever..and sums up my feelings

Heh. I totally disagree with that article. The mystery element is what keeps me watching, the characters are a nice "side-plot", but if they shift the focus too much over to the characters (ala the middle of season 2) the show loses my interest.

The whole thing with us constantly being thrown a bone, even though the unraveling of one mystery opens up a slew of new ones, is what makes me keep watching it. That, and the wonderful theorizing with my friends what the hell all this is about, even though we have no idea, and will never have.
  • edited October 2006
    That's an easy one: Money. :D [>:)]

--Erwin
  • edited October 2006
    Well, tell me one tv series that isn't made to make money.

I don't care WHY they make them, as long as they're as good as the third season has been to me so far.

It amazes me to see how they manage to turn it into a whole new series for each season, and still make it feel natural, and not "milking it".

The worst thing that could happen is that they turn it into a "lost-on-an-island" drama, which it seemed to become in the middle of the second season. but now it's all beautiful again.
  • edited October 2006
    I don't understand what's so good about LOST? I think it's just annoying. Who cares about some people who got stranded on an island and have to face cannibels and beasts!
  • edited October 2006
    I don't understand what's so good about LOST? I think it's just annoying. Who cares about some people who got stranded on an island and have to face cannibels and beasts!

Not sure which show you saw - but so far no cannibals, and very few beasts on LOST.

I have enoyed the first three episodes of Season 3 a lot more than the start of Season 2. I am glad they have let Locke go back to his "man of the jungle" thing.
  • edited November 2006
    spf1978 wrote: »
    Not sure which show you saw - but so far no cannibals, and very few beasts on LOST.

I have enoyed the first three episodes of Season 3 a lot more than the start of Season 2. I am glad they have let Locke go back to his "man of the jungle" thing.

My thoughts exactly!

People complain about Lost always asking so many questions, and never giving any answers. And they complain that when the show does give some answers, they also ask new questions. What is so wrong with that? If the questions they keep asking are intriguing, why should it matter? Just because new questions and new obstacles keep popping up in life doesn't mean we should hate it. The quality of it all is what really matters.

The first two episodes of this season were mediocre, but the three last ones have been great. And overall I think season two was just as good as season one, seeing as it had some of the definitively greatest episodes. And the last episode which aired on TV, episode 5 of season 3, which was Eko-centric, was maybe one of the greatest episodes I've seen so far. Touching, exciting and mysterious; what more can one ask for in a show? :p

I have always loved Lost, and I always will. That is, unless they kill off Locke. Then I'll get really pissed off. :p
  • edited November 2006
    It just hit me that it seems that all of the tailies
    has died off

Oh wait, nevermind, there's still Bernard.
  • edited February 2007
    Wow--crazy episode--once again another case of the Lost specialty: "answers only lead to more questions."
    edited February 2007
    but... but the teaser promised THREE BIG MYSTERIES WILL BE ANSWERED next week.
  • edited February 2007
    What do all you people think about the latest episode? Where do you think they're going with all of this? Do you think
    Charlie is going to die
    ?
    edited February 2007
    Probably. Everyone else is, left and right in the last 10-15 episodes.
  • edited February 2007
    I quite don't understand most of the tv series coming from the usa. Most of them look cheap, feature poor acting people who play uninteresting and sterile characters with a dull story behind. Same with this one...
  • edited February 2007
    Taumel--I won't argue about what most TV series in the US are like--but for Lost, I don't know how you can say it looks cheap given the amount of money they put into the production values and it's on-location shooting in Hawaii (most other US TV series are shot on sets in Los Angeles), and relative to other American TV series, Lost has featured interesting multinational characters from places such as Korea, Nigeria, and Iraq. As to the dullness of the story... I'm puzzled how you could label it dull--absurd, illogical and dense maybe, but not anything approaching simple and dull.
  • edited February 2007
    You've misunderstood what i meant with "looking cheap". I wasn't after ttey don't put enough money into this. What i meant was that all these kind of series share a certain kind of look which looks "cheap". It's the lightning, the way they make their closeups, the cuts and so on...

You turn on the TV, zap through, see this kind of look and know exactly what you'll get if you watch it.

As for the story it's dull in my opinion and nothing more than a waste of time.
  • edited February 2007
    Well, to each his own... I think most American TV series have that cheap two-camera sitcom look with a laugh track (Seinfeld, Friends, 90% of all sitcoms) which they make fun of in Situation:Comedy (Midtown Cowboys).

How much of Lost have you watched enough to judge the story, by the way?

(Just asking because I've had a recent history of spending tons of posts arguing with a guy who spent all his time talking about how Sam and Max Episode 3 is really bad when he never actually played it).
  • edited February 2007
    Dunno exactly, i maybe zapped for five times or so into it until i've noticed that it's nothing for me due to the reasons i've mentioned above.
  • edited February 2007
    this is a show that is much like csi and 24 in its audience, there is no middle ground...........either you hate it, or you love it.

from what i hear, the show will run for five seasons overall........ with each remaining season having an overall "theme" as well as a set amount of info about the shows core mysteries........they also said that they will not take an "easy" way out Ex. it is all a dream, or everyone dies in the end, etc...

this was all in an interview with damon lindelof several months ago............link below

http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.html?tid=98935&ref_id=24313&ref_type=101&tag=story_list;title;14
  • edited February 2007
    I can completely get where taumel is coming from. The characters have less depth than a puddle of goat piss. I just get the impression that Im watching Beverly Hills with a small amount of action.
    TV is not that important for me to watch every single bad series that comes around. I mostly watch the news and try to ignore the other bollocks they show.
    Prison break is another good example of shallow goat piss. Nothing ever happens in it either, they just pose around and chatter for 45 minutes and at the end they find some new obstacle that pushes the action further on.

Those are my humble opinions about those shows anyway. If you like them im not blaming you (i watched most of the episodes of Sunset beach), but they dont do the trick for me.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.