Favorite (or not) Puzzle?

edited December 2004 in General Chat
So there are lots of good puzzles in adventure games, but lots of lame ones too.

What is everyone's favorite puzzle in an adventure game? How about least favorite one?

Comments

• edited December 2004
    I'd have to say that my least favorite puzzle would be the monkey wrench one in MI2.
  • edited December 2004
    My least favorite puzzle would have to be when you're to open the vault in Grim Fandango, and my favorite is the carnival of the dammed at the end of The Curse of Monkey island.
  • edited December 2004
    Wear dog in Simon 2 or the keycard(or whathever you got the cat to make) in The Gene Machine has to my least favorite puzzles
  • edited December 2004
    Favorite: The whole "El Pollo Diablo" routine in CMI. Makes me giggle every time.

Least favorite: Four-way tie between getting into Maximino's safe in Grim Fandango, the monkey wrench puzzle in MI2, getting into Corley Motors in Full Throttle (pixel hunts bad. Very bad.), and 75% of the puzzles encountered so far in Myst IV: Revelation.

Generally there's one puzzle per any given adventure game guaranteed to send me into conniptions. Fortunately there's at least one puzzle per game that I happen to like very much, too.
  • edited December 2004
    Damn I forget this MI2 puzzle you guys are all talking about. I can remember being stuck in a few places for a while but thats part of the fun. I wasn't all that fond of monkey kombat from the last MI game, ended up writing up a table to figure it out which was a pain in the ass. I still think the best was insult sword fighting in MI1. (dunno if you would call it a puzzle but it was a favourite of mine. Then well it just became one big long run on joke in the other games.
  • edited December 2004
    Damn I forget this MI2 puzzle you guys are all talking about. I can remember being stuck in a few places for a while but thats part of the fun. I wasn't all that fond of monkey kombat from the last MI game, ended up writing up a table to figure it out which was a pain in the ass. I still think the best was insult sword fighting in MI1. (dunno if you would call it a puzzle but it was a favourite of mine. Then well it just became one big long run on joke in the other games.

Insult Sword fighting was great :)

and that Puzzle with the guitar(or something like that) in Curse Of Monkey Island funny :)
  • edited December 2004
    Insult Swordfighting is great, but when it rhymes it is even better. I love the naval swordfighting in CMI!

The monkey wrench is my least favorite. I still don't get it.
    If someone can explain to me how was I suposed to understand that I had to use the monkey with the valve, I would be thankful...
  • edited December 2004
    One of the worst puzzles was the 'rotating roadsign' in Grim Fandango, IMO... but the effect after I solved it (with a walkthru) was great...

One of the best was the 'Soviet-style coal-refilling robot colossus' in Syberia.
  • edited December 2004
    speaking of which walkthroughs kill adventure games. The best thing about MI was being able to finish it before someone else because they didn't know they needed to use the _____ with the ______ in order to solve the puzzle. being stuck for a week really makes you think
  • edited December 2004
    One of the best was the 'Soviet-style coal-refilling robot colossus' in Syberia.
    Do you mean at the begining of the second game? You just had to find gas for it no? My favorite syberia puzzle was the whole process of getting the train out of Barrockstadt.
    being stuck for a week really makes you think
    No, being stuck for a week makes you try the stupidest things just to see what it does. Why don't I try to use the _____ with the _____ ? Gosh it works!!!
  • edited December 2004
    Being stuck for a week makes me get a walkthrough or quit the game and wonder why I waste my life. ;)
  • edited December 2004
    Do you mean at the begining of the second game? You just had to find gas for it no? My favorite syberia puzzle was the whole process of getting the train out of Barrockstadt.

You're right, it's just the setting and ambiente of the location that made me think of this part of Syberia first... it's not the greatest puzzle, but the location and the Soviet reminiscences got stuck in my head.

After all, Syberia 2 isn't as good as Syberia 1, like most sequels.

Getting the train out of Barrockstadt is a really great sequence.
  • edited December 2004
    Being stuck for a week makes me get a walkthrough or quit the game and wonder why I waste my life. ;)

A good strategy when you're stuck is to use everything with everything else (not just in the invetory) and if you're still stuck you end up feeling that you're not really cheating if you use a walkthrough.
  • edited December 2004

A good strategy when you're stuck is to use everything with everything else (not just in the invetory) and if you're still stuck you end up feeling that you're not really cheating if you use a walkthrough.
    A little more problematic for me is that sometimes I just miss some spots at pixel-hunting... or in Myst, just don't get their logic.

You're right, inventory-based puzzles are easier to 'hack'.
  • edited December 2004
    I always hated the whole drinking contest puzzle in Monkey Island 2. First, who would ever think to throw Kate Capsize's picture over yours? It took me the longest time to figure it out, because it didn't seem too logical. And it's something that someone couldn't really do by accident. The whole secret hand code thing was annoying too. I also went out of my mind with the whole dangling participle thing in King's Quest 6.

As for good puzzles...I think the whole dwarf puzzle in King's Quest 6 was clever. Of course, if you didn't save before hand, you were in trouble. I liked how you had to think, how to fool each of their senses, and using the empty ink jar to cover your self with nothing would make you invisible was a clever solution
This discussion has been closed.