Congrats Telltale!

edited November 2005 in General Chat
I just admire you more and more as time goes by. I read on Next-gen that there will be released a title each month in the future. That's really great news (at least for me!) Now, you've got CSI, Bone2 AND Sam & Max2 on your hands. I'm really happy you've got the CSI licence, and that it probably will be retail version. I can see a lot of improvements there. And since I loved the first two, I'm definitely going to love this one.

Thank you very much for this great news.

Can't wait.

Damn I love you :D

Comments

• edited November 2005
    Congratulations from Italy, too!
    I guess this is the title Brendan Ferguson was working on... ;)
    I hope this won't slow down the works on S&M.
    BTW, GREAT NEWS!
    Domenico (diduz)
  • edited November 2005
    I hope this won't slow down the works on S&M.

They're apparently expanding their team size to accomodate the amount of projects, so I wouldn't worry.

I wonder how long CSI has been in development? The "television license" has been hinted since the Telltale Now press release in June.

And yes, great news!
  • edited November 2005
    Even though I'd already heard the rumors, it's good to finally know that they were true. Now perhaps we can play a CSI game with some character (admittedly, I haven't played the other ones, but that just shows how little they appealed to me). Good luck with Ubisoft!
  • edited November 2005
    I think telltale could make a really good game with the CSI franchise. I havent played a great crime drama game in years. Telltales dialogue tree would be awesome for interrogating suspects, really looking forward to this
  • edited November 2005
    Telltale got CSI? thats great. I played the first CSI game and it was painfully easy and short.(Finished the game in a couple hours I think) I really think there is a lot of room to improve the line of these games. I hope the team is dark enough for these games. It is a bit of a change going from something bright and fluffy like bone or sam & max to something like CSI.
  • edited November 2005
    I hope the team is dark enough for these games. It is a bit of a change going from something bright and fluffy like bone or sam & max to something like CSI.
    We'll get to see how twisted Telltale really is! [>:)] ;)
  • edited November 2005
    Telltale got CSI? thats great. I played the first CSI game and it was painfully easy and short.(Finished the game in a couple hours I think) I really think there is a lot of room to improve the line of these games.
    Ehrm.. well I hope they will make a better CSI game than that, but looking at Bone which is also painfully easy and short I kind of doubt it :p
  • edited November 2005
    Well done Telltale.

I'm really looking forward to experiencing what your engine is capable of with models based on actual humans, and no filesize restrictions as dictated by the online distribution model.

I know you probably can't say much, but I'm curious as to whether the plot / script of each CSI will be handed to you from the TV screenwrites, whether you're given some general plot outlines and write your own scripts, or it's some sort of collaboration between Telltale's writers and the TV show writers.

Did the TV actors voice their parts in the previous games? I assume if so, that they'll continue to do so for the Telltale ones?
  • edited November 2005
    yeah the voice actors are a must esp for grissom (William L. Petersen). He has credits for the games in his bio I didn't check on the others. I guess that kind of inflates the cost of making the game though since the actors know they can ask for a fair chunk of change. I hope this isn't another one of those online only things....
  • edited November 2005
    Well... Actually I am both a bit happy and sad. Happy to see the company moving forward, as for me, they are the only hope to save the old adventure games from dying. However, I am concerned about the following:

1- They are already slow in the progress in releasing games
    2- The game I played, Bone Vill was really nice and decently fun, have the taste of good old Lucas games BUT, TOO SHORT as everyone else said, and too easy to be a full game. about them commeting for a game every month, this raises the flag on the quality and effort put into that game.
    3- The price, if you consider it as a short tale game, 19$ is way too much. I can get super games now for that price, and some few months old games for as low as 10$. I personally was over the moon when I heard about the company and their concept of adopting abandoned good old beloved characters, and I bough the game immediately, more as a support rather than anything else. Since its a new company, and we want to support it until it establishes its solid base. But if this is to continue, person has to reconsider seriously. I am not likely to pay 19$ a month to continue finishing the short tale game.
    4- Is CSI their type of games? I feel it like a shift to be honest.

I am personally and old strong fan of Sam & Max, and please no one takes this personal or as a let down. But if the great Sam & Max adventure game is turned into short tales, I believe this will ruin the whole point. The original game was long, complete, and kind of difficult one. Converting it into a one like Bone Ville is well... like a short freeware game for kids really and does not suit the game popularity.

I hope this is only the beginning, and that they reconsider. I prefer to wait for another whole year and get a complete game, rather than splitting it into short episodes.

CROSS MY FINGER - AND WISH FOR THE BEST
  • edited November 2005
    I am personally and old strong fan of Sam & Max, and please no one takes this personal or as a let down. But if the great Sam & Max adventure game is turned into short tales, I believe this will ruin the whole point. The original game was long, complete, and kind of difficult one. Converting it into a one like Bone Ville is well... like a short freeware game for kids really and does not suit the game popularity.
    I'm having a hard time buying into this philosophy. Sam & Max turned into "short tales" is not going to ruin the whole point. Sam & Max are characters from a comic strip, which was mostly made up of "short tales". Small doses is exactly how S&M was meant to be given. Even the short lived cartoon series saw the characters do two 10-minute shorts per half-hour episode. Also, the LucasArts version of S&M 2 was going to be made up of several different cases, rather than one long case.

I didn't like the original Sam & Max game because I thought the puzzles were great or because I thought the gameplay was lengthy. I liked it because the characters and the story entertained me. That's what makes me want to go and buy a game, or even replay it. Not so I can say I have something to fill 20 hours of my free time. Naturally, if it's an enjoyable experience, I do like for it to last as long as possible (and $20 for two hours doesn't cut it, I'll admit), but 4-6 hours every few months, rather than 15 hours every 3 years is a better trade off. I do hope that gameplay time expands a little though, and that all can be adjusted with puzzle difficulty, mini-games, and extra interactions or clickables (i.e., like in Space Quest games where you get funny jokes every time you looked, smelled, tasted, etc. an object or person -- these things didn't further the story, but they did make the experience more enjoyable and longer). One of the things I disliked about Bone was the lack of clickable objects. Hopefully the next one will have more.
  • edited November 2005
    One of the things I disliked about Bone was the lack of clickable objects. Hopefully the next one will have more.

Yes - this is what I have been thinking, but haven't been able to put into words. It would make the experience richer. I understand that they want us to not get side-tracked and confused about what to do, but it would be nice to be able to interact with more stuff in the background.
  • edited November 2005
    When I heard about the cancellation of Sam and Max 2, it was like a punch in the stomach. But to hear it's renewed, by a passionate team like yourselves, is fantastic. I had a blast with the first game, and hope you can make an even wackier and fun game. I'm mystified to why adventure games disappeared in the first place.

Hopefully this lack of moronic big companies dictating the game will allow you to steer clear of those stupid dancing games (Lesiure Suit Larry was ruined by that... That and it wasn't even Larry, nor adventure), and focus entirely on it being of the adventure genre!

:x
  • edited November 2005
    1- They are already slow in the progress in releasing games

7 months is slow? And it was their first adventure release.
  • edited November 2005
    I hope this isn't another one of those online only things....
    Actually it's not. This one will have a publisher, which means that it'll be a retail version. The online-thing is just something they must do, since they're WITHOUT a publisher on those games.

Hey, spring 2006 :D
  • edited November 2005
    Okay, remembered where I read it...
    As far as I know this game will be released as a retail title - you know, a full game sold on a store shelf - but we should probably be hearing (and seeing) more of it soon on Telltale's (and Ubisoft's) website. It's nice to see Telltale working on some larger projects as well as their episodic/comedy comic book titles.

Source: www.mixnmojo.com
  • edited November 2005
    Ubisoft? evil empire of games (ok well EA is the real evil empire of games. Ubisoft is the vader of games I guess) . Sigh I guess I won't be buying it retail either since it will likely have star force protection on it and currently there is a boycott on for all games that use star force....

for those who don't know what star force is... it is a protection which overwrites your existing drivers. Sometimes making your cdrom or dvd drive inoperable. The protection is also known to cause system instability as well as crashes.

http://www.glop.org/starforce/
Sign in to comment in this discussion.