The legendary Sam & Max fanart

Comments

• edited December 2010
    This is not the final version... it's merely a study of a fragment, I just made it so I could study the light and shadow and the composition, plus the final version is larger and has stuff hapenning on the left side. (And nicer inking, this was just sketchy) I added the lettering as an afterthought. You can't have Noir Sam without his noir dialogue bits, but I probably won't be adding the lettering to the final version anyway.

stark.jpg
  • edited December 2010
    Okay, now I think I really need to rejoin that support group.
  • edited December 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    I feel the exact same way...my brother's a pretty good artist, but he refuses to post anything that I can brag about, sadly.

It's never too late to start! Just doodle your heart out every day; you'll get better the more you do it. I know it sounds cliche, but trust me, it's 100% true :D
  • edited December 2010
    Cheri wrote: »
    Okay, now I think I really need to rejoin that support group.

Me too. I'm going to start blubbering any second...
  • edited December 2010
    crfh wrote: »
    This is not the final version... it's merely a study of a fragment, I just made it so I could study the light and shadow and the composition, plus the final version is larger and has stuff hapenning on the left side. (And nicer inking, this was just sketchy) I added the lettering as an afterthought. You can't have Noir Sam without his noir dialogue bits, but I probably won't be adding the lettering to the final version anyway.

stark.jpg

So...awesome...

Still, 2 things. Sam calling himself Noir Sam just sounds weird, and the lettering is kinda hard to read >.>

I still love it so much...
  • edited December 2010
    That's what we call him. :D

The hard to read lettering is sort of on purpose
  • edited December 2010
    stark.jpg

That is the single most kick awesome thing I've seen in days. I think we need the support group back.
  • edited December 2010
    I agree.

This is just..... ARGH. <3333 *nosebleeds*
    Will my DVD ever come??? D:
  • edited December 2010
    will my dvd ever come??? D:

I ordered mine in September and it didn't ship until last week, and it still hasn't arrived. What the hell, Telltale?!
  • edited December 2010
    sam_n_max__new_roommate_part_1_by_strongbrush1-d35ytnk.jpg

Here's the Comic I promised.

Please at least give me some sort of reaction this time. Let me know that you actually give a damn about my work.
  • edited December 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    I ordered mine in september and it didn't ship until last week, and it still hasn't arrived. What the hell, Telltale?!

Well, all credit to Telltale, but... wait, what, SEPTEMBER?? D:

@StrongBrush1 LOL, that was really good!
  • edited December 2010
    @StrongBrush1 LOL, that was really good!

Thanks again, hedgie! I enjoy your work, too..
  • edited December 2010
    If I'm entirely honest, I think you could use a bit of improvement on, well, everything =/

2 big things though
    -In the last panel changing Sam's sprite for another pose would help.
    -DON'T USE JPG. Seriously, don't.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, all credit to Telltale, but... wait, what, SEPTEMBER?? D:

The pre-orders started in September.
  • edited December 2010
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    If I'm entirely honest, I think you could use a bit of improvement on, well, everything =/

2 big things though
    -In the last panel changing Sam's sprite for another pose would help.
    -DON'T USE JPG. Seriously, don't.

I'll keep that in mind next time. I had to use jpg, though. It wouldn't accept the bmp format.
  • edited December 2010
    Just use PNG, or GIF as long as the program doesn't completely change the colors like in Paint.
  • edited December 2010
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    Just use PNG, or GIF as long as the program doesn't completely change the colors like in Paint.

Okay, thanks. I uploaded a higher quality version of the comic from DeviantArt for now.
  • edited December 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    The pre-orders started in September.

Yeah, but like, she's still waiting since then.
    Then some other people got it...

I'm just waiting on my prize.... >.>
  • edited December 2010
    sam_n_max__new_roommate_part_2_by_strongbrush1-d361ben.jpg

My dumb fan comic Part Deux.
  • edited December 2010
    Is it Scott Pilgrim? LOL!
  • edited December 2010
    Is it Scott Pilgrim? LOL!

It's me, but I modified my appearance from a Scott Pilgrim sprite.
  • edited December 2010
    Heh, the way you drew Max's head makes it look kinda flat though =P
  • edited December 2010
    Try some shading when you're doing the zoom-ins. Might help a tad. Plus, it's probably not too great to do sprite comics - they're easy, sure, but it's probably better for you to draw things yourself. Gets you more attention, too. ;)

Slight note - aside from the slash variety, any fanfic writers, here? The few fics I've read have actually proven to be fantastic, especially considering the craziness of this subject matter. Any recommendations? (Does this count as art? XP; )

This one is pretty darn well written.
  • edited January 2011
    1nky wrote: »
    Try some shading when you're doing the zoom-ins. Might help a tad. Plus, it's probably not too great to do sprite comics - they're easy, sure, but it's probably better for you to draw things yourself. Gets you more attention, too. ;)

Thanks for the advice man, advice man.
    1nky wrote: »
    Slight note - aside from the slash variety, any fanfic writers, here? The few fics I've read have actually proven to be fantastic, especially considering the craziness of this subject matter. Any recommendations? (Does this count as art? XP; )

This one is pretty darn well written.

I've been trying to make one based on my speculations for season four.
  • edited January 2011
    pheeph wrote: »

Sweet. :) Poor Sam. :P

What happened to the thumb on his right hand?
  • edited January 2011
    you mean his "left" hand? You don't see it... it's pretty much covered by the rest of his hand...
  • edited January 2011
    sam_and_max_at_sea_by_strongbrush1-d36ajmw.jpg

I had this image in my head for like, three months. I think it was a bit more animated in my head but I'm not that good at animation. So, yeah here it is in all its modesty.
  • edited January 2011
    Great Sam and Max fanart, everyone.

Yesterday in between intensive coding work, I doodled a lot of fanart in pencil. Some of it is weird, some sad, some badass.

I will upload some of these after I finish my calendar thingie. They make awesome inking practice.
  • edited January 2011
    Hey, just an idea I had for the calander. Though sadly it has text along the bottom which would effect the wallpaper version. I'm not sure if this would still be ok and I'm also unsure whether to use paints or do it digitaly.

CalanderIdea.jpg
  • edited January 2011
    It's in fact a very difficult option where to put the calendar. If you can make bigger the blank space over Sam's shoulder, I'll be very happy, somehow
  • edited January 2011
    @SillyStell - I love it! But it is that writing... and yeah, try what Ginny said. :)
  • edited January 2011
    ahah I love that :D
  • edited January 2011
    SillyStell wrote: »
    Hey, just an idea I had for the calander. Though sadly it has text along the bottom which would effect the wallpaper version. I'm not sure if this would still be ok and I'm also unsure whether to use paints or do it digitaly.

http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m414/SillyStell/CalanderIdea.jpg

XD Oh man, I love this. I want that free toy!

*sigh* I tried to draw something this past weekend while I was away in a cabin in the mountains/forest/whatever doing pretty much nothing at all, but I'm so rusty at drawing that it depresses me...
  • edited January 2011
    Change are to our.
  • edited January 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Change are to our.

And 'ceral' to 'cereal'.

I like that you included a rat there! It's a good nod to Purcell!
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks for advice and thanks for the help with my grammar and spelling, it's a big weakness of mine ^^;
  • edited January 2011
    After looking through this thread, I've been inspired to gain some sort of rudimentary drawing skills. Therefore, I bought a sketchbook and somehow found a fancy blue pencil lying around. Hopefully, by the time I fill up the sketchbook, I'll have gained some technique. In the meantime, I'll leave these here.

max_sketch_1_by_nightshadez3r0-d36g43l.jpg

max_sketch_2_by_nightshadez3r0-d36g4rz.jpg

max_sketch_3_by_nightshadez3r0-d36g4tu.jpg

Any advice for the novice artist would be appreciated!
  • edited January 2011
    @StrongBrush1 - Hooray, it's drawn! And not too bad, considering it's done via mouse. (Try making Sam a bit bigger, he doesn't look quite right.) Try a bit of pencilwork here and there, see what happens.

@SillyStell - I can't really add to what's already been said. But I want to take this opportunity to say that I love your work and style, and will now watch you on devArt. *Bing*

@nightshadezero - Proportions. Can't emphasize that enough. I have problems with it, he has problems with it, everyone does. Your lines are fine, and good to see you're using guidelines, but always keep in mind - proportions. Example, that last picture - Max's body is way too big for his head, first picture, ears too small.

Aside, you definitely are on the right track. Practice! We all have to. ;P
  • edited January 2011
    To add to what 1nky said about proportions, next time try having Max's torso be as long as his head, same for his legs, and his ears are like a head and a half.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.