Telltale's Game Informer surprise is Jurassic Park! (Article online now)

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I do not think they are supposed to be emitting light... just your typical nocturnal reflective eyes.

Ever seen a cat stare at you at night with those eyes? Creepy as all hell.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2011
    Other key bits:

Sequel to the FIRST Movie, (((Presumably making 2 + 3 not canon)))

Don't presume!
    jmine83 wrote: »
    4. Herrerasaurus

Telltale already employs one so we might be good, there.
  • edited January 2011
    Other key bits:

Sequel to the FIRST Movie, (((Presumably making 2 + 3 not canon)))

Looks like a no, there...looks like a tie in to the first movie...judging by certain key elements...like Isla Nublar...Nedry's Jeep..and the carcass of the raptor on the floor yeah...it's a tie in for the first movie, that's my guess and I'm sticking to it.
  • edited January 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Sara's Father. :D

The novel version of the character was Sarah Harding's father but, as far as I know, the movie version of the character was unrelated to Julianne Moore's character.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited January 2011
    As far as I have been able to discover, The fact the Gerry is Sarah Harding's father isn't specifically called out in either the movies OR the Novels, though it was implied and it has been said the Michael Crichton himself said it was so.

For our game, we aren't ignoring this, but we aren't really calling attention to it either.
  • edited January 2011
    The bst comment so far is Joystiq saying they hope you guys don't give the dinosaurs vaguely french accents as inspiration from heavy rain.

"I'm looking for Pah-Co, I'm invastingating the Ori-gammy killer"
  • edited January 2011
    Looks very good from the screenshots, but I think if it's going to be a more "Realistic" game, my poor old laptop might not be able to handle it (although it does a great job with "BTTF") - so hopefully it will also make it to the PSN.

But.... Spring release? So I'm guessing a brief gap between the end of "BTTF" & the beginning of "JP", or starting up before "BTTF" finishes?
  • edited January 2011
    Weeksy wrote: »
    Looks very good from the screenshots, but I think if it's going to be a more "Realistic" game, my poor old laptop might not be able to handle it (although it does a great job with "BTTF") - so hopefully it will also make it to the PSN.

But.... Spring release? So I'm guessing a brief gap between the end of "BTTF" & the beginning of "JP", or starting up before "BTTF" finishes?

My laptop struggles with BTTF and PN@tI in their lowest settings, so I hope JP makes it to PSN as well. There's no way my lappy could render something that awesome without frying its processors.

If I had to guess, I'd say after BTTF is done, but I dunno to be perfectly honest. Nor does anyone else just yet. :(
  • edited January 2011
    jmine83 wrote: »
    Just saw and read the two-page article online. Overall, sounds very impressive and promising. I'm particularly intrigued by the mention of there being a new dinosaur with glowing eyes that's nocturnal, right?

My only hope in this regards to a "new dinosaur" is that I hope its a dinosaur that we already know to be on the official "InGen list" sort of speak. Since the game is being declared as taking place on Isla Nublar, we already know there is a well established, official list of "15 dinosaurs" that are present on Isla Nublar. In the film, we see 7 of these 15 dinosaurs. To recall, here is the official 15 dinosaurs of Isla Nublar as accredited by an assortment of film sources (the JP brochure prop for one):

1. Tyrannosaurus Rex
    2. Baryonyx
    3. Velociraptor
    4. Herrerasaurus
    5. Metriacanthosaurus
    6. Proceratosaurus
    7. Dilophosaurus
    8. Segisaurus
    9. Compsognathus
    10. Brachiosaurus
    11. Parasaurolophus
    12. Triceratops
    13. Stegosaurus
    14. Gallimimus
    15. Pteranodon

So "I hope" TT very much you stuck to this list and stayed true and consistent with the franchise. I confess, I'll be pretty disappointed if this "new dinosaur" is not one of these 15 species.

Wow, I was literally just about to make a thread about this!
  • edited January 2011
    tobar wrote: »
    Wow, I was literally just about to make a thread about this!

Yeah. Considering my contributions to the JP community from several years back with the many detailed maps I've released and associated documentation (i.e. I used to be known as user name "dr.dino"). I even have unreleased work that's even more detailed that unfortunately I haven't touched in several years because of the demands of my lifestyle.
  • edited January 2011
    The graphics look quite good, so I can't wait to give JP a try. I'm not as upset about there not being any movie characters in it. The Jurassic Park movies never really had a cast that stuck together through the trilogy anyway.
  • edited January 2011
    Spykes wrote: »
    . The Jurassic Park movies never really had a cast that stuck together through the trilogy anyway.

That's kind of true. I mean, Alan Grant and Ian Malcolm were the main ones. But Jurassic Park wasn't like Back to the Future. Those movies were connected so well that you almost have to watch all three. When it comes to Jurassic Park you could watch any of them without having any previous knowlage of the other films. Both a good and a bad thing.

The first two movies were more connected than the third one though. InGen was present in both of those. Seeing how the first film they make the park and then in the second film they are trying to clean their act up by rounding up dinosaurs and building another park. InGen is hardly even mentioned in the Third film which I think is why it wasn't as well recieved. If they would have given a better reason involving InGen for going back to the island (instead of the whole son is stuck on the island thing) it probably would have been a better film.

But back on point. I don't mind that the main characters are not in the game either. And I like the idea of playing as someone who works for InGen. We'll get a better inside look of things going on in Jurassic Park.
  • edited January 2011
    That's kind of true. I mean, Alan Grant and Ian Malcolm were the main ones. But Jurassic Park wasn't like Back to the Future. Those movies were connected so well that you almost have to watch all three. When it comes to Jurassic Park you could watch any of them without having any previous knowlage of the other films. Both a good and a bad thing.

The first two movies were more connected than the third one though. InGen was present in both of those. Seeing how the first film they make the park and then in the second film they are trying to clean their act up by rounding up dinosaurs and building another park. InGen is hardly even mentioned in the Third film which I think is why it wasn't as well recieved. If they would have given a better reason involving InGen for going back to the island (instead of the whole son is stuck on the island thing) it probably would have been a better film.

But back on point. I don't mind that the main characters are not in the game either. And I like the idea of playing as someone who works for InGen. We'll get a better inside look of things going on in Jurassic Park.

So you're saying InGen involvement is crucial?
  • edited January 2011
    As long as Dr. Hammond shows up I will be happy. I will be rather less happy if he doesn't. I don't think you'd really need the same actor doing the voice, or even the actor's likeness, as long as you had a recognizable take on the character. Although getting Attenborough involved would be pretty great.

I'm also happy to jump on the "get Tim Curry to voice some kind of scientist" train, although I have no real idea how that came about, aside from Tim Curry being awesome in general. Which he is. If he does show up in this game, it'd be a pretty outstanding example of "Telltale listens to the fans," but I'm not particularly expecting it to happen since it's so out of left field.
  • edited January 2011
    as long as we are making demands.. I want an original rap song sung by Harrison Ford rapping about being a gangster/pimp in LA with a chorus sang by Richard Dreyfuss in the middle of a gun fight with Sarah Palin and a reanimated Charlton Heston.

TTG can swing that right?
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited January 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    as long as we are making demands.. I want an original rap song sung by Harrison Ford rapping about being a gangster/pimp in LA with a chorus sang by Richard Dreyfuss in the middle of a gun fight with Sarah Palin and a reanimated Charlton Heston.

TTG can swing that right?

Wow! Luckily we just happened to record that very thing at our Christmas Party last year! I'm sure we can squeeze it into the game! I mean we've already animated a chorus of singing raptors!
  • edited January 2011
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Wow! Luckily we just happened to record that very thing at our Christmas Party last year! I'm sure we can squeeze it into the game! I mean we've already animated a chorus of singing raptors!

Singing raptors...that'd make a great bonus for the inevitable dvd lol
  • edited January 2011
    So you're saying InGen involvement is crucial?

I'm saying InGen's involvement is very important if you want to have a story other than just Man runs from Dinosaur. I think that the main theme of Jurassic Park has always been about a greedy corporation that oversteps boundaries to make a buck. Michael Crichton himself said that InGen was "the dark side of Disney" Without InGen you lose the mysteries and conspiracies that surround the incident on Isla Nublar.

That's why I felt TLW was a better film than JP3. In TLW InGen has covered up everthing that happened on the island. This gives them the oppertunity to try and clean up their mess and pull themselves out of the financial downfall while not taking responsability for the deaths of innocent people. It's your classic evil corporation story.

Since JP3 didn't have InGen in it we were left with more of a B Movie style monster flick with no other moral to the story other than, "Don't be stupid and parasail next to an island with dinosaurs on it." By taking InGen out of the picture you are missing a huge chunk of story potential. You also lose the whole basis in which the whole story is based upon.

Edit: If not InGen then at least Biosyn
  • edited January 2011
    Does anyone know if this magazine has hit stores yet? I was going to go try and pick up a copy today but don't know if it would be a waste of time.
  • edited January 2011
    Does anyone know if this magazine has hit stores yet? I was going to go try and pick up a copy today but don't know if it would be a waste of time.

GameStops usually get their magazines around the same time as subscribers so stopping by a store this weekend would likely be a safe bet! :D
  • edited January 2011
    I just got mine in the mail today so I would assume that they have them in the store by now.
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks to both of you for the help, I went to Gamestop and they said to expect it by this weekend. I can't wait to read the article.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm actually saving this GameInformer. I actually still have the one that had the early news about TellTale making a Jurassic Park game. It was just a huge picture of the T-Rex skull with a red background and a few sentences. lol
    GameInformer seems to be more interested in Jurassic Park than BTTF cause I didn't see much for that game unless I missed an issue.
  • edited January 2011
    I think taking inspiration from HR gameplay is a brilliant idea for a JP game developed without a HUGE budget. But this kind of game needs top-notch animations to be taken seriously; so PLEASE take your time and make it perfect!

That being said, am I the only one here noting that JP Jeep has something wrong?! The front grill should have vertical holes! The JP custom jeeps used in the movie are Jeep Wrangler '92/'93 and, of course, everyone knows how a jeep front grill looks like! I don't think is a mistake though... Maybe the Jeep Company has claimed some kind of rights here... :mad:
  • edited January 2011
    I know one thing that would be enjoyable the return of Biosyn.

GameStops usually get their magazines around the same time as subscribers so stopping by a store this weekend would likely be a safe bet! :D

Actually about, a week or so.
  • edited January 2011
    Just got my issue. Looking good guys!
  • edited January 2011
    I have great faith in TTG after playing the BTTF game.
  • edited January 2011
    I've thought this one through, so bare with me.

Starting with the scan of the raptors by Nedry's Jeep, why are there two? Didn't two of the three get killed by the T-rex at the end?

Due to those headlights in the picture (I'll explain more on this below), the raptors by Nedry's Jeep are probably there during the movie's events. The game is supposed to take place during and after the movie. Note that the scans show them at night. Well, the feeding pen's fences weren't shut off until morning of the second day when Mr. Arnold flips the switches, so how could they have escaped in time to be by the Jeep at that point? Those two raptors in the scan might not be from the feeding pen. Is there another pack of raptors on the island?..

So here's another possibility, and the more likely one, somehow the raptors have been breeding on the island. (Remember the baby footprints near the eggshells?) Those footprints show two toes, and raptors are the only animals on the island with a footprint like that - dilophosaurus, herrerasaurus, gallimimus, etc. all have three toes on the ground, not two.) The adult footprints also match these in the movie when they're seen leading from the feeding pen into the jungle, just larger. If the raptors were in the feeding pen, how did they lay eggs in the jungle?

Robert Muldoon briefly hints at something in the movie. First of all, the feeding pen is far too small to fit the eight original raptors he said they started with. This means the eight raptors they initially bred were in the huge velociraptor paddock (not the feeding pen, mind you) in the center of the island at one point. The three (maybe more at first) remaining raptors were moved to the pen because they were attacking the feeders. So while the pack of eight raptors were in the original paddock, some may have changed sexes at some point in their development from the frog gene, leading to secretive breeding under the park staff's noses.

That's where Grant and the kids stumbled upon the raptor eggshells on their trek back to the visitor's center. The shells could have been over a year or two old, leaving the raptors time to grow to adult size ("they're lethal at 8 months.") That, or they're a fresh batch, and the start of a third pack.

So in theory, there were more raptors in that section of jungle. Good thing Grant never ran into them, eh? The park staff had no reason to suspect there were more raptors in there, so they never checked. The power to the parks fences go off at night in the movie when Nedry shuts them off, and the second pack of raptors escape from their paddock. Voila.

Note that in the scan, Nedry's headlights are still on. He shut off his car before he got out to tie it to the tree down the hill. The car battery will only stay on for a few hours before it dies from the headlights being on, and Nedry's confirmed dead in a deleted scene of the second movie, so he couldn't have had much time or reason to turn on the car, extending the battery life. My point is, that image is probably of the same night during the movie since the car battery hasn't died yet.

Also, the subtitle says "Getting to Nedry's jeep looks to be difficult." Could this mean you're gonna be looking for the jeep and maybe the shaving cream bottle with the DNA which will expire in the next 36ish hours (according to Dodgson)? I certainly think so. The article hints at it. I'm thinking Dogdson's guy at the ship (which there's also a screenshot of) might have stuck around to get the bottle since Nedry didn't show.. he was pretty close to the dock so it wouldn't be much of a walk to stumble upon it. And if he finds it, that means the DNA is now in BioSyn's hands, which could take the plot of the Jurassic Park franchise to infinity and beyond. Think about it. If not him, someone's gonna find it. Like I said, the article blatantly hints at a group going after it. Could that group be the same BioSyn crew from the second book?

Hmm so BioSyn's probably back in the picture. Since this game is supposed to be canon with the movie franchise, ..JPIV plot setup anybody?? Another Jurassic Park could be in the works, but with a different company ripping off InGen.

Don't forget this is Jurassic Park though. If you're an antagonist, you're probably gonna die, so that might not go through as planned.

Also, we might get to see Sarah Harding in the game, as she's likely to be Gerry Harding, the park veterinarian's daughter. Gerry and "his daughter" are confirmed to be in the game. Maybe we'll get some insight on where she came into the mix with Malcolm. If not, it's just a cameo for funsies.

As for the glowing eyes? Who knows, InGen's already pulled some crap with the Spino, so who says it's anything on that confirmed list of dinos that's been out for years.

The article basically says its gonna tie up all or most of the loose plot points from the first movie, maybe leading into the second? So what else needs clearing up? Why were a bunch of the herbivores sick? The Triceratops and the Brachiosaurus?

The deleted scene in The Lost World brings up the "demolition, deconstruction, and disposal of Isla Nublar facilities, organic and inorganic" (if you haven't seen it you can youtube it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IauEY2XoMR8 ). That'd be a good plot point to cover, maybe killing off the dino's by exploiting their Lysine Contingency gene. Or the Costa Rican gov't bombing the island when all else fails like in the books.

Anything I missed? More to add?
  • edited January 2011
    One thing to point out, deleted scenes are generally not considered canon, so perhaps the island survives.
  • edited January 2011
    Welcome Andy. I merged your thoughts with the established Game Informer article thread.
  • edited January 2011
    I think you are thinking too much! Who says these are actually final pictures, maybe they are just cool looking demonstrations of the feel from the game without being directly tied to the games final story?
  • edited January 2011
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    I think you are thinking too much! Who says these are actually final pictures, maybe there are just cool looking demonstrations of the feel from the game without being directly tied to the games final story?
    Yeah, the early release BTTF screens were all mock-ups, not representations of what actually ended up happening in the game (unless I'm just forgetting the scene where Doc's yelling in his lab while Marty looks on holding a camera).
  • edited January 2011
    Gerry Harding's daughter in our game is not Sarah Harding, rather a new character. As far as I know, Sarah Harding was never actually mentioned to be Gerry's daughter in the novels or the films, but the novel's version of her was stated to be his daughter by Michael Crichton. Our game is based on the Jurassic Park film, not the novels.
  • edited January 2011
    I guess Nedry's canister will be the McGuffin of the story.

As for the puzzles, maybe we'll be finally able to "say the magic word"! :D
  • edited January 2011
    Yeah I had an hour to kill, and I am more than pumped for this game.
    Gerry Harding's daughter in our game is not Sarah Harding, rather a new character. As far as I know, Sarah Harding was never actually mentioned to be Gerry's daughter in the novels or the films, but the novel's version of her was stated to be his daughter by Michael Crichton. Our game is based on the Jurassic Park film, not the novels.

Ah, good good. Sarah Harding always annoyed me. :)
  • edited January 2011
  • edited January 2011
    ^ Nice - with a bunch more concept art that wasn't in the magazine.
  • edited January 2011
    Wonder how long it'll be before someone complains about JP having a realistic/semi-realistic art style/direction and BttF doesn't.
  • edited January 2011
    I don't even like Jurassic Park that much, but could this be Telltale's greatest achievement yet?
    They're experimenting with different gameplay mechanics, visual styles, and adding their own flavour to a franchise that doesn't really call for "Adventure" style puzzles and whatnot.
    Really interested to see how this turns out.
    :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.