Mislabeling of Nedry's Jeep in Jurassic Park: The Game.

edited June 2011 in Jurassic Park
It looks to be a wonderful game and I look forward to play it (hopefully on the 360).

But one thing that's been bugging me was the license plate of the Jeeps in the screenshots and trailer.

Nedry's Jeep in the movie was JP 12 and Harding's in the Game looks to be JP 14.

But in the aforementioned media that was released, Nedry's Jeep has the license plate JP 14.

It's such a minor detail, but I hope it gets fixed and checked to be hopefully implemented into the actual canon. (Unlike many of the past JP games)

UPDATED (With Picture):

sjeepcomparison.th.jpg

Comments

• edited March 2011
    That's a bit nit picky don't you think?
  • edited March 2011
    Based on Telltale's track record with this sort of thing, I predict that the front plate will read 14 and the back will read 12. :p
  • edited March 2011
    That's a bit nit picky don't you think?
    Little bit, but it was something I noticed and it bugged me. Here's to hoping this feedback helps.
  • edited March 2011
    @nitpicking

not only the 14 is wrong but also the radiator grille which is in orignial vertical but in the game horizontal and the headlights have in original a rectangular shape but in the game they are round.

I mean when modelling the jeep for the game it is the same amount of work to make the grille vertical and you can clearly see this in the movie at all wranglers. or the headlights. so why did they change it, if it is not a matter of time or programming space?
  • edited March 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    @nitpicking

not only the 14 is wrong but also the radiator grille which is in orignial vertical but in the game horizontal and the headlights have in original a rectangular shape but in the game they are round.

I mean when modelling the jeep for the game it is the same amount of work to make the grille vertical and you can clearly see this in the movie at all wranglers. or the headlights. so why did they change it, if it is not a matter of time or programming space?
    This one can actually be explained, not due to programing oversight or error, but a licensing/copyright issue. :)

The Jurassic Park license (and assets) may currently be free for use by Telltale, but the vehicles in the game have their own licenses/copyrights respectfully (separate from Universal). Therefore the Jeep Wrangler (And if they decide in a future episode or season to include the Ford Explorer) are not apart of the JP license, and would require permission as well as a payment to Jeep for use of the likeness of the Jeep Wrangler. ;)
  • edited March 2011
    Possible. It is still an early build.

This does kinda remind me of when Diamond Select was prepping their BTTF electronic DeLorean time machines for release and found that, while they had the license for the time machine, they did not, in fact, get the rights for DMC, so they had to strip DMC off the front, the wheels, and the DeLorean logo on the back bumper.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited March 2011
    @nitpicking

We'll be paying close attention to those jeep numbers to make sure we get them right... Go ahead and keep posting these little details when you see them. We try to keep track of everything, but occasionally some things may slip through the cracks. We appreciate the help when you guys are keeping and eye out!

As for the Jeep grille, The vertical shape is a trademarked design that we don't have the rights to use. In this case it doesn't make a lot of sense for us to pay the licensing fee, adding to the cost of production and raising the cost of the game.
  • edited March 2011
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    We'll be paying close attention to those jeep numbers to make sure we get them right... Go ahead and keep posting these little details when you see them. We try to keep track of everything, but occasionally some things may slip through the cracks. We appreciate the help when you guys are keeping and eye out!

As for the Jeep grille, The vertical shape is a trademarked design that we don't have the rights to use. In this case it doesn't make a lot of sense for us to pay the licensing fee, adding to the cost of production and raising the cost of the game.

very interesting, MarkDarin. I didn't know that when you buy the license of a movie you aren't allowed to use all the products shown in the movie as well. How far does the license of the movie go? Using the characters with the looking of the actors? Using the buildings? Using the logo? Using the music?
    I bet it can be individual depending on the contract concerning the license.

Let me get this: You are able to use the looking of the jeep wranglers by the color and most of the stuff but you are NOT allowed to use the jeep as JEEP™ as long as you do not have the license of the car company?
    Somehow this is weird.
    I mean it WAS a JEEP™ in the movie so if you have the license to make a game out of the movie WHY is it then NOT allowed to use a JEEP™? In other words: it's just an advertising for the car company too. "Hey that's a JEEP™!!" Well it's stuck in the mud.. But hey: it's a JEEP™!
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited March 2011
    very interesting, MarkDarin. I didn't know that when you buy the license of a movie you aren't allowed to use all the products shown in the movie as well. How far does the license of the movie go? Using the characters with the looking of the actors? Using the buildings? Using the logo? Using the music?
    I bet it can be individual depending on the contract concerning the license.

Let me get this: You are able to use the looking of the jeep wranglers by the color and most of the stuff but you are NOT allowed to use the jeep as JEEP™ as long as you do not have the license of the car company?
    Somehow this is weird.
    I mean it WAS a JEEP™ in the movie so if you have the license to make a game out of the movie WHY is it then NOT allowed to use a JEEP™? In other words: it's just an advertising for the car company too. "Hey that's a JEEP™!!" Well it's stuck in the mud.. But hey: it's a JEEP™!

Yep, you are starting to understand! All these elements are separate licensing issues. Music (Right down to specific tracks), Actor likenesses, commercial products, etc. All of these things are handled separately, so you can see how managing these things can quickly get tricky.
  • edited March 2011
    Yep, you are starting to understand! All these elements are separate licensing issues. Music (Right down to specific tracks), Actor likenesses, commercial products, etc. All of these things are handled separately, so you can see how managing these things can quickly get tricky.

holy shit.

at least it explains WHY it was the LAWYER who has been eaten by the T-Rex!!! :D
  • edited March 2011
    holy shit.

at least it explains WHY it was the LAWYER who has been eaten by the T-Rex!!! :D

Because there is never a drought in licensing blood to be sucked!
  • edited March 2011
    Mark, first of all thank you for participating here. And second, you mentioned music... Are you using music from the three movies combined with an original score, I pressume? Like in BTTF. And will Jared compose the score too?

Thanks in advance!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    Mark, first of all thank you for participating here. And second, you mentioned music... Are you using music from the three movies combined with an original score, I pressume? Like in BTTF. And will Jared compose the score too?

Thanks in advance!

Like BTTF, Jurassic Park the game uses a combination of licensed main theme tracks and original compositions by Jared, yes.
  • edited March 2011
    Awesome, I can't wait to hear new Jurassic Park music! Thanks, Jake! :D
  • edited March 2011

Hey no problem with the help, as a JP fan I'd love to help out any way I can.

Another small minor detail I noticed along with Nedry's Jeep was the lack of tow cable that Nedry wrapped around the tree (to try and pull his Jeep onto the road). Was that on purpose to allow Nima to walk past in the trailer?

The more media assets that's released, the better we can identify these things. But we know you've got a schedule for these things.
  • edited March 2011
    The music is definitely something that I'm looking forward to. The music is wonderfully composed and I expect the same great quality in Jurassic Park.
  • edited March 2011
    Somehow this is weird.

Again, this goes to Diamond Select's BTTF electronic time machines. While they have the rights to use the design of the time machine, because they didn't get the rights for DeLorean trademarks, they had to remove all DeLorean Motor Company logos from the car, and is why the cars aren't labeled DeLoreans on the boxes. They're just 1/15 scale Time Machines. It sucks, but that's licensing for you.
  • edited March 2011
    Again, this goes to Diamond Select's BTTF electronic time machines. While they have the rights to use the design of the time machine, because they didn't get the rights for DeLorean trademarks, they had to remove all DeLorean Motor Company logos from the car, and is why the cars aren't labeled DeLoreans on the boxes. They're just 1/15 scale Time Machines. It sucks, but that's licensing for you.

Interesting that they were able to leave it looking so much like a DeLorean then. Licensing must be complicated.
  • edited March 2011
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Interesting that they were able to leave it looking so much like a DeLorean then. Licensing must be complicated.

I think the key was removing the trademarked logos. I think.
  • edited March 2011
    if I remember correctly there is a game that heavily used Jeep trademark. It's name is Zoo Tycoon 2. http://img.youtube.com/vi/2O87wdsYHpU/0.jpg
    That makes me to wonder - how much Blue Fang Games paid for such an license. For those that do not know, Jeep was heavily featured as means of transportation (three or four car models) in two expansions packs - Endangered Animals and African Adventure.
  • edited March 2011
    In terms of cars, the general rule of thumb is that is can have a general shape that's close to exact, but as soon as you make something 100% in terms of accuracy and/or slap on the trademarked car company without permission, then you can easily get sued.

GTA is a prime example of doing cars without doing them exact (changing up a few details, but maintaining the image enough that you know what it really is to avoid a lawsuit), as mentioned here on IGN.
  • edited March 2011
    Jeep are very protective over their trademark. Stereophonics have an album called 'Just Enough Education to Perform' which they were banned from shortening to J.E.E.P on the artwork.

But they were still able to call it a 'Delorean'?
  • edited March 2011
    wish bones wrote: »
    i don't see the wench on the front grill on the jeep like in the movie and the cable that's dangling from it. and maybe add some blood on the windows like was also in the movie?
    I don't recall the blood...and even if it's there, you must note the rating of the game can determine what can be done or not. I don't think this is gonna be an M game.

It's a T at most. As was displayed in the demo video it shows various ways the player can die by dinosaurs, but without any blood or gore and a vague notion of what exactly happens to them, similar to the movies.
  • edited March 2011
    I don't recall the blood...and even if it's there, you must note the rating of the game can determine what can be done or not. I don't think this is gonna be an M game.

hmm well its just a thought..cause idk if you saw the blood splatter in that scene? or was my mind just like going insane?
  • edited March 2011
    I think what you were seeing was venom.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm sure the DMC logo was used on the car in-game. But, if I recall, the original DMC doesn't exist anymore.

Edit: Or, it's entirely possible that they just decided to pay the licensing fee for the Delorean, since it's linked so closely to the series as a whole.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm sure the DMC logo was used on the car in-game. But, if I recall, the original DMC doesn't exist anymore.

Edit: Or, it's entirely possible that they just decided to pay the licensing fee for the Delorean, since it's linked so closely to the series as a whole.
    Most likely the latter. The company still exists in a reduced state, but still sells, services, and builds new Deloreans. The licensing fee was either tied to the franchise, or cheap to pay (because of it's state).
  • edited March 2011
    Another small minor detail I noticed along with Nedry's Jeep was the lack of tow cable that Nedry wrapped around the tree (to try and pull his Jeep onto the road). Was that on purpose to allow Nima to walk past in the trailer?

I can't believe I missed that one. Yeah, that cable would still be hooked up to the tree. But like you said, It could be so that Nima could walk pass.
  • edited March 2011
    I can't believe I missed that one. Yeah, that cable would still be hooked up to the tree. But like you said, It could be so that Nima could walk pass.

Although programming Nima to crouch under the wire to get past, wouldn't take THAT much work.
  • edited March 2011
    Maybe they will put it in. They said themselves that they listen to suggestions of the community. I doubt that it takes lot of work to fix it. ;)
    In any case, if not vital, the tow cable would be a nice addition to JP canon immersion.
  • edited March 2011
    I was just looking at the trailer and about 10-14 seconds into it in the top left of the screen when the Barbasol can is rolling down the hill you catch a glimpse of the cable.
    jp_the_game_2_by_ghansen89-d3c1cg6.png
  • edited March 2011
    as Nick mentioned in the PAX interview we will also see Nedry's lost glasses lying in the mud. They are keeping an eye on little details which will strengthen the connection to the movies.
    So I don't think they will just leave the cable of Nedry's jeep out and I hope we will see a lot of this tiny little things that show how TTG cares about the franchise.
  • edited March 2011
    I agree, it seems to me that Telltale is trying to make this game as accurate and detailed as they can. I thought finding Nedry's glasses was a nice touch.
  • edited March 2011
    It always seems like a mess to license stuff. It looks like it goes back and forth. Were advertising your product, but then, It we own the product. I take it ends up who gives in first? TY for making it barbasol i would cry if it wasn't.

I didnt see much at the top of the jeep but i hope it is stuck on a log.
  • edited March 2011
    I found this funny video and wasn't sure where to post it. I thought here would be the best place because it's a scene with Nedry vs. the dilophosaurus with voice overs. While you're watching it I guess you can compare jeeps or just sit back and enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmg8DsynTW4

P.S. Skittl-E-bop shoobiddy do!
  • edited March 2011
    But they were still able to call it a 'Delorean'?

No. The boxes have no reference to DeLorean or the DeLorean Motor Company.

Yes, the DMC logo is present on the game version. And yes, technically the DeLorean Motor Company exists. www.delorean.com
  • edited March 2011
    Based on Telltale's track record with this sort of thing, I predict that the front plate will read 14 and the back will read 12. :p

lol
  • edited March 2011
    I was just looking at the trailer and about 10-14 seconds into it in the top left of the screen when the Barbasol can is rolling down the hill you catch a glimpse of the cable.

Wow, they sure know how to get into detail when they need to!
  • edited March 2011
    The thing about this is that this specific scene in the trailer makes me doubt it as actual gameplay. It seems more akin to pre-rendered vs game-rendered, I say this because of the detailing in the scene vs the rest of the trailer and the media screenshot of the same scene.

Of course, it could also be the screenshots were apart of a previous/earlier build with less detailing.
  • edited March 2011
    I personally have no issues with the graphics - I actually think they're very nice (I'm not that picky. I personally believe in the concept of story>graphics). But on Youtube as well as some other outlets, it seems that people are bashing the mud scene more than any other scene.

Is there any plan on working on the detail of the mud? To make it less "jello-like" as some of those special Youtubers are describing it? :P
Sign in to comment in this discussion.