What does Speilberg think?

edited April 2011 in Jurassic Park
Excuse me if Spielberg has some involvement in the game, but if he doesnt, does anyone know if he's said anything about it? What do you think his impressions would be?

Comments

• edited March 2011
    If he has heard about it... I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't pay much attention to it.... I imagine at this point so much of his stuff gets worked on that news of something new would not be something he gets interested in.... I'm not saying he is a jerk or anything... its just probably something he is used to happening.

If he did make a comment I would totally be interested in what he said.... Dude is a living legend.
  • edited March 2011
    He is a hard person to explain... basically, he is about as busy and as famous as the president of the US so even though Jurassic Park is probalbly his most successful franchise with Indy, he wouldn't be able to really comment. I wouldnt imagine that a man that amazing would have a second to breathe, although I do know for sure that he is a major gamer, or atleast he was around the year 2000. He is a great guy and he sure knows how to connect with his fans. I like his dream of the original Trespasser when he came to DreamWorks, that really showed how great of a person he is. He doesnt care about the money as much as the thrill that his fans get, just like Crichton... and the novel version of Hammond actually. Anyway, I do hope he personally does a project on Jurassic Park soon where he actually is a part of it. I know he isnt a part of this one, but Telltale does have some pretty good people at Universal to back them up so they shuld be fine. Good luck and thank you Telltale for our new Jurassic Park game!
  • edited March 2011
    He hates the graphics :p
  • edited March 2011
    He owes all his success to a key sense of timing and he knows how to frame up complex action scenarios that make it easy for a viewer to follow...
  • edited March 2011
    This game is important to the fans who are looking for Jurassic Park 4. I want him to notice, becuase that means he'll know that Jurassic Park isn't a dead franchise and that he could still make money off of it.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm sure Steven Spielberg cares about all his films and wants them to remain successful, but without him being directly involved and with Michael Crichton not around anymore, the franchise just doesn't have that guiding hand like Star Wars does with George Lucas. There isn't anyone there to say, "I like this" or "no, this doesn't work with my story." I think that's what makes it so frustrating for the fans. Every time there is something new, we really don't know what to expect.
  • edited March 2011
    trocks wrote: »
    I'm sure Steven Spielberg cares about all his films and wants them to remain successful, but without him being directly involved and with Michael Crichton not around anymore, the franchise just doesn't have that guiding hand like Star Wars does with George Lucas. There isn't anyone there to say, "I like this" or "no, this doesn't work with my story." I think that's what makes it so frustrating for the fans. Every time there is something new, we really don't know what to expect.

I agree, Spielberg was there during the creation of Jurassic Park: Trespasser, hell, it was his idea! That was a great project and would have been so revolutionary if it was successful, unfortunately, it didn't become what he wanted it to be. Later in his life, he became involved with even bigger projects and even more work than before so he isn't really available for that kind of "I like this" or "no, I don't" at this point in his life. Fortunately, Telltale's Jurassic Park team are not just a bunch of straight up fans of Jurassic Park, they are game designers and also understand the ENTIRE story of Jurassic Park it seems like. Hopefully I have put my money into the right hands and so far Telltale has made it seem like I have, keep up the good work guys!
    This game is important to the fans who are looking for Jurassic Park 4. I want him to notice, becuase that means he'll know that Jurassic Park isn't a dead franchise and that he could still make money off of it.

My friend, I promise you that he never thought it was a dead franchise. Money has continued to flow into his pocket since 1993, he is just waiting for the right time. After JPIII, a Jurassic Park IV didnt seem like that much of a great idea, and maybe it isnt. We may never get a Jurassic Park IV, but im not complaining because I hope that it stays popular, whether that means not making a Part 4 ever or whether it includes making a Part 4. If they do make it though, I want Spielberg to do it and not Johnson so we can get the same feeling that we got when we sat in theater all of those years ago and saw that amazing Brachiosaur reach towards the branches of a tree, that one feeling that made us love this movie every day of our lives so far and that one moment that we realized that the world in so many aspects had changed because of the magic in that movie. That is the feeling that I want to get, and I dont care if that means never seeing a fourth movie. I just hope that if we dont see a fourth movie, that the franchise continues in game form for many years to come!
  • edited March 2011
    That is the thing too... I know he has said plenty of times that he wants to visit JP again someday.. the dude just has so many other projects floating around in his head that it must be maddening not to have enough time to do it all in his life time.
  • edited March 2011
    he said in an interview once he liked monkey island so theres no reason he wouldn't like this
  • edited March 2011
    Steven Spielberg is interested in video games so I'm sure sometime after it's released he'll take a look at Telltale's JP. I'd be interested to hear his thoughts.
  • edited March 2011
    Mr. Spielberg is my hero.. he should be ALL of ours! :)
  • edited March 2011
    "They're still milking this 'Jurassic Park' thing? Really? I'm so over that...I've moved on to making much better spasmodic alien robot movies with Michael Bay and my girlfriend, Shia LaBoof"!! :p:p

Well, he DOES have to out-insane Lucas, Cameron and Zemekis, after all! :p;)
  • edited March 2011
    robotpo wrote: »
    "They're still milking this 'Jurassic Park' thing? Really? I'm so over that...I've moved on to making much better spasmodic alien robot movies with Michael Bay and my girlfriend, Shia LaBoof"!! :p:p

Transformers 1 was good, Transformers 2 suffered because of the writer's strike. :p

And he out-insaned all of them when he created AI.

And maybe as far as JP movies...maybe he's waiting for the right time to make a movie actually BASED on the books. lol
  • edited March 2011
    robotpo wrote: »

Wait, how is Zemekis insane? He hasn't touched BTTF other than restoration.
  • edited March 2011
    ^^ Except now he's given up making movies like BttF, Forest Gump and Castaway in favor of his "weirdo plastic people" period with Polar Express and whatever. :p
  • edited March 2011
    And he out-insaned all of them when he created AI.

You talkin bout Trespasser?
  • edited March 2011
    Spielberg will have a look at this thing I guess. And maybe he found some good aspects after that and will think about some new. Games make sense for entertain people. For me especially browser based games like Sphira: Warrior's Dawn.
  • edited March 2011
    RexMaster wrote: »
    You talkin bout Trespasser?

No. AI. Artificial Intelligence. One of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I think I actually died from boredom watching it.
  • edited March 2011
    No. AI. Artificial Intelligence. One of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I think I actually died from boredom watching it.

He didnt create it, it was a concept the late Stanley Kubrick was working on before he died, and Spielberg picked it up to honor him.

Someone should send him a copy when the game is released, just to see what he thinks, i really would love to hear his opinion.
  • edited March 2011

Oh haha, he had some badass AI in Trespasser but yes, AI wasnt the best.
  • edited March 2011
    hamza721 wrote: »
    he said in an interview once he liked monkey island so theres no reason he wouldn't like this
    He should do a Monkey Island movie. That would be epic.
  • edited March 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    He should do a Monkey Island movie. That would be epic.

Dear god, no. Jurassic Park was more or less the end of Spielberg as a director who wanted to make good quality popcorn movies not "I need an Oscar" movies. If you want a MI movie done right there so many others who'd be a good combo of action/humor/style. Personally I'd take Terry Gilliam but i know that's a loooong shot even in the best of circumstances.
  • edited March 2011
    Spielberg was actually planning a Monkey Island movie before the Pirates of the Caribbean movie came along. You can even find concept art for it on the internet: http://www.miwiki.net/Monkey_Island_movie And yes, Spielberg is an avid gamer.
  • edited March 2011
    TELLTALE. Send a demo to Steven! Gauge his response! You must!
  • edited March 2011
    Anyone try asking him what he thinks yet? Does he have a twitter account? lol
  • edited April 2011
    I doubt Spielberg would take the time to get a good enough impression of this game, and then leave any kind of meaningful comment. But who knows.

About Spielberg... I'm actually not such a big fan, despite loving the first JP movie (much due to nostalgia, admittedly)... not that he's not a very talented director, I'm not disputing that, the thing I take issue with in a lot of his films are the little 'Spielberg' moments of whatever you can call them.
    He seems to have a thing for little 'overly family oriented' or 'cozy' moments, struggling to find a good description here.
    But lots of little moments that end up annoying me, a rather extreme example is the little girl kicking a raptor out of a shed in JP2 by doing gymnastics.
    Little 'cute' scenes such as that, often involving children... I get the impression this is something reoccuring in Spielberg movies.

I'd love to see a Jurassic Park directed by someone else, maybe one closer to the books (but not necessarily)... main thing would be that it was a much more dark, scary, serious and overall more immersive experience. More adult oriented in some ways, there's no denying the first JP movie was a lot more fun back when I was 13 or whatever age I was back then.
  • edited April 2011
    Ok, so doing gymnastics to defeat a raptor was a bit over the top, but I do enjoy most of Speilberg's movies. They usually seem to have a lot of passion behind them.

People talk a lot about the differences between the books and the movies. Interestingly, I warched an old interview recently with Michael Crichton and he was commenting on how pleased he was with Speilberg's take on the story. Crichton said that most authors get upset when a director makes changes, but he felt that the movie was that director's story to tell, regardless of the source of inspiration.
  • edited April 2011
    He'd better be happy with the kind of money the success of the JP movies must have made him :p
  • edited April 2011
    ^ Good point.
  • edited April 2011
    He also helped write the screen play so he was more involved with the first film than the other two.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.