Moasaur - How?

edited January 2012 in Jurassic Park
Hey guys,

New to the boards, and I just wanted to get your opinions on this. I love the fact we're getting a moasaur in the game, the underwater level looks creepy.

Now considering that, according to the movie, the animals DNA was taken from blood sucking bugs encased in amber, how did they manage to get a hold of Moasaur DNA. I'm all for suspension of belief, just been trying to figure it out.

I reckon it'll be answered in the game, but what do you think?

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Maybe a Mosasaur beached itself and a mosquito took advantage?
  • edited November 2011
    Maybe a Mosasaur beached itself and a mosquito took advantage?
    Keep in mind that the mosquito only needed it's blood. So the mosasaur doesn't have to be present for the mosquito to acquire some fresh blood it found somewhere... i really don't know i'm just spouting off ideas.
  • edited November 2011
    Its possible. Maybe it'll be explained although its not really that huge a loss if it isn't
  • edited November 2011
    You're forgetting about the extinct species of underwater mosquitos! :P
  • edited November 2011
    Just like sharks, killer whales, dolphins, squids, cods, salmon, turtles, seahorses, basically any sort of underwater creature, gets itself killed and is beached by the tide, I imagine that same thing probably happened at least once during the long time that the Mosasaurs existed.

It doesn't even need to have been killed to have become beached, it might just have been confused and wobbled unto land.
  • edited November 2011
    LOL how I didn't think it was beached. Thats a pretty good answer.
  • edited November 2011
    Or a storm altered the tide and beached the mosasaur. There are thousands of different possibilities
  • edited November 2011
    Or a storm altered the tide and beached the mosasaur. There are thousands of different possibilities

That's actually a very good explanation and something that probably happened frequently when the Earth was young.
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah many many ways to get sea dino's beached.
    Some sort of predator grabbing at them and and dragging them on shore
    Corpse naturally washing to shore
    Storms beaching them
    Swim to far into shallows while hunting and get beached
    Drought trapping and subsequently beaching the dino
    etc.

I mean if modern day Whales etc. can swim into central london and get beached I'm sure a dino could do it.
  • edited November 2011
    it's been a while since i've read the book, but i do think ingen also recovered genetic material from ground up bone. if you think about it, why would a company in ingen's position limit themselves to dna found preserved in amber? the dna found in the amber was probably the least fragmented, but, once enough high-quality dino dna had been collected, that dna could likely have been used to help reconstruct sequences from other sources. i know there's no mention of these techniques being employed, but they're the most likely, especially considering that dna would be flowing in from multiple sources and, in many cases, a single sample would contain contributions from multiple animals, most likely representing multiple species. the fragments would likely be labeled by source, location, and time period, sequenced, mixed with dna from other sources (such as frog dna) and then aligned using a strategy similar to shotgun sequencing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_sequencing). that being said, there were probably plenty of opportunities for mosasaur dna to end up in an insect and for that insect to end up trapped in amber. two examples i can think of are a beaching scenario or a carcass washing up on shore.
  • edited November 2011
    Hiplobonoxa beat me to it. lol The book said ingen recovered genetic material from bones as well.
  • edited November 2011
    Ah its been years since I reread the book. Did rewatch the film last night, got a buzz after reading the forums.

I do hope they go more into this new Doctor's motives and what shes been up to.

Back to the Mosasaur, if you ever played Dino Crisis 2, I hope its as thrilling as that battle, where you against a Pleisosaur..
  • edited November 2011
    Not only did prehistoric reptiles come to the surface regularly to breathe, and may have come onto the beach as well, but if all else failed, they could have used Loy's extraction technique as described in the novel and taken DNA material straight from fossil bones; in fact, scientists think that it's far more likely you'd get genetic samples from a bone than from amber anyway.
  • edited November 2011
    I think i spelled its name right,anyways by viewing the tour guide and entering a certain password...one from which nedry implemented from the first movie,you can see Marine facility on the map

The Star of the marine Facility brings up a lot of questions for me,The Mosasauros being an underwater reptile spends nearly 90% of it's time underwater,now um i think the chances of a mosquito out in salt water being able to take it's blood is either near impossible or near that ratio,especially since right immidatly afterwards it have to be near a tree and caught in the sap.

Additionally i must inquire of how they handle this animals eggs,i'm sure they deposited them in the sand and had a strict way of incubating different from most dinosaur eggs,as such a normal Hatchery would not suffice id think.

Now please understand i think it's a neat idea to add in the game and definantly a new and exotic idea,but it seems to raise many questions.

They also positioned that animal very dangerously close to the north Harbor...
  • edited November 2011
    I think i spelled its name right,

Nitpicking fact: Mosasaurus
  • edited November 2011
    piccobello wrote: »
    nitpicking fact: Mosasaurus
    qft!
  • edited November 2011
    Ah its been years since I reread the book. Did rewatch the film last night, got a buzz after reading the forums.

I do hope they go more into this new Doctor's motives and what shes been up to.

Back to the Mosasaur, if you ever played Dino Crisis 2, I hope its as thrilling as that battle, where you against a Pleisosaur..

I really wish capcom would make a new dino crisis game based on the first 2,the third one with the theme of skinless dinosaurs in space really ruined the franchise,although the underwater part was epic,in fact i'm sure the hype over these games is simply because it's so rare to see a dinosaur game at all these days.
  • edited November 2011
    I think i spelled its name right,anyways by viewing the tour guide and entering a certain password...one from which nedry implemented from the first movie,you can see Marine facility on the map

The Star of the marine Facility brings up a lot of questions for me,The Mosasauros being an underwater reptile spends nearly 90% of it's time underwater,now um i think the chances of a mosquito out in salt water being able to take it's blood is either near impossible or near that ratio,especially since right immidatly afterwards it have to be near a tree and caught in the sap.

Additionally i must inquire of how they handle this animals eggs,i'm sure they deposited them in the sand and had a strict way of incubating different from most dinosaur eggs,as such a normal Hatchery would not suffice id think.

Now please understand i think it's a neat idea to add in the game and definantly a new and exotic idea,but it seems to raise many questions.

They also positioned that animal very dangerously close to the north Harbor...

I agree and love the idea of incorporating a marine reptile but mosasaurs are thought to be vivaporious (give birth to live young) they have found this is the case for icthyosaurs. with the fact that they were born backwards to prevent drowning. this would require a dolphin surrogate or a reptillian uteral charmber type device for breeding marine reptiles.
  • edited December 2011
    Just completed the game (Absolutely loved it) and still gutted that we are less informed as to how they brought the Mosasaurus back. I know its alluded to, and I'd hope to find it in Sorkin's journal, unless I missed it?

Its not a major thing, just really curious!
  • edited December 2011
    i also never heard anything....any ideas???
  • edited January 2012
    A little off topic, but they seem to do this a couple times. They introduced the Mosasaurus, talked about how could they have gotten it and then didn't bother to answer how. They do the same thing for the Troodons escaping the quarantine pens unless I missed it, cause they were out long before the full park shutdown that would have freed them like the raptors from their quarantine pen. I know that all questions can't be answered or the story goes stale from too much dialog, but it just came off as lazy to me especially since it is the back story of two main antagonist dinosaurs the game added. The explanation wouldn't have had to be long and wouldn't have had to even be dialog since none of the protagonists knew how it happened. A lot of that section is exploration to get in so a video going in the lobby like the main park video from the movie or even just a poster could have done it especially since the entire attraction is dedicated to the Mosasaur alone. The Troodons were worse since Dr. Sorkin's assistant was alive after Nina was bit, you'd think she would have noticed a pack of Troodon missing from the pens when he was killed cause I doubt they all snuck back in. I was hoping the journal would answer it since they added the bits about the Tyrannosaur's vision, raptor's size, and other anomalies.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.