The Interactive Tour Map- Downloadable Version?

edited December 2011 in Jurassic Park
Hey TellTale, do you think you guys could have available for download a downloadable version of your interactive park map, just exactly as it is (including all the videos plus the areas you have to access by "hacking"). I want to be able to have an offline version of this because it is just WAY too cool and a great companion to the game. Thanks!

Comments

• edited November 2011
    That would be great, I support this idea! I'd love to have a downloadable version of the audio track played on the main webpage for the game as well (the "jungle" sounds with Dilophosaurus, Rex and Raptor roars and screams on a loop), I enjoy listening to that from time to time.
  • edited November 2011
    Not sure if Telltale wants me to say this, though I don't see why not, but there are many options for downloading all the stuff to your HD.

First, you can "View Source" in probably any browser for all the files a webpage references to. Then just copy those URL's and paste them into a downloader, etc. You may have to know some HTML to be able to cope with reading through the code though.

Also, if you're using Safari, you can check out the "Activity" window (slightly more useful and easier than viewing the source) to directly see all the files the webpage is requesting. Just download all these files and place them in a directory according to the URL directories and bam! you have you're own little off-line JP tour. However, the YouTube videos won't work through this method. You'll have to copy their links and use another service to download them.

I could do this for anyone who doesn't understand and post it as a file attachment on the forums or something, but I'd want explicit permission from Telltale first in case they wouldn't want me to. Much respect to Telltale for creating it in the first place; I love detailed stuff like this. :D

EDIT: I've been working on this myself and it is quite hard. Still haven't gotten the video descriptions to work offline, still trying to figure out where they come from... So, unless you have a simple knowledge of URL's, folder structures, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, you might not be able to use my method on your own.
  • edited December 2011
    Also, if you're using Safari, you can check out the "Activity" window (slightly more useful and easier than viewing the source) to directly see all the files the webpage is requesting. Just download all these files and place them in a directory according to the URL directories and bam! you have you're own little off-line JP tour. However, the YouTube videos won't work through this method. You'll have to copy their links and use another service to download them..

I'm going to attempt this at some point if i can be bothered, but to correct you, you can download youtube videos in the very same way your described to get the files, just look for the biggest file being downloaded (its normally the x out of x file that is still loading), and alt click it, and it will start downloading to your computer. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Zero Beat wrote: »
    I'm going to attempt this at some point if i can be bothered, but to correct you, you can download youtube videos in the very same way your described to get the files, just look for the biggest file being downloaded (its normally the x out of x file that is still loading), and alt click it, and it will start downloading to your computer. :)

Thanks for pointing this out. I actually am aware of it, but I usually use a downloader system from various websites instead, although the Activity Monitor probably still is the best way. Also, I didn't know about the alt-click thing (double-click). I always just copied and pasted so thanks for that. (Note on doing all this to anyone reading: Other websites may offer downloading tools, such as various file formats so you can download [mp4, webm, flv, etc.]. However, when using the Activity Monitor the videos won't automatically have a file extension. You'll have to append .flv to them. Also, make sure to select the proper resolution in YouTube first [360p, 720p, 1080p], then select the correct file in the Activity Monitor as state above by Zero Beat. I'm pretty this is how it all works. :) )

To Zero Beat: I've gotten the whole system to work offline, except for loading the videos, video descriptions, and the whole terminal thing. I'm pretty sure that all has to do with the JavaScript, so if you know any JavaScript and can figure those sections out let me know.

Another Note to Everyone Attempting This: You need to not only download the files, but edit the HTML, CSS, and JS files by changing the links to all the resources (.jpg, .html, .js, .css, .etc). If this sounds to complicated, it's probably best to not stress yourself by trying. However, if you know these programming languages, or are totally determined in figuring it out anyway, then go for it! :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.