Gametap Opinions

edited October 2006 in General Chat
How's it going?

I bought a subscription to gametap about two weeks ago and I have got to say that I am really pleased. Today, though, was the first day that I've been frustrated with it.

As gametap loads games, it plays movies for you to watch while you wait. A preview for the Sam n Max TV show was on, and urged me to "watch it now" on the animation channel. So, I headed over to the gametap TV section and behold, no Sam n Max.

Anyone else have any other complaints? Any points of praise that need special mention? Here's my list.

PROs:
*Excellent selection of games from a variety of time periods and genres
*Gametap TV is very amusing
*Sam and Max will be here in a few weeks!

CONs:
*Multiplayer is slow
*No community feel. There are no message boards, for example.
*New games are released on Thursdays, but it could range from 12:01am to 3:00pm.
*Sim City 2000 and Sim Tower run waaaaaay too fast on my machine.

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    Funny you started this thread when you did... did you see that I just posted a blog about GameTap?

(It doesn't really offer opinions about the service, since I haven't had a lot of time to use it lately, so I am curious to hear about pros and cons from other GameTap users.)
  • edited September 2006
    I thought the Sam And MAx TV show trailer was pulled
  • edited September 2006
    Is it only going to be available for download from Gametap? Can I not buy and download Sam and Max directly like I did with Bone and Texas Hold'em?

I have no interest in subscribing to Gametap and having to load additional software on my machine, just to play a game. Nor do I want to see streaming videos, etc, while games load. All I want is the Sam and Max game. Now it looks like I have to wait for the CDROM version.
  • edited September 2006
    Is it only going to be available for download from Gametap? Can I not buy and download Sam and Max directly like I did with Bone and Texas Hold'em?

I have no interest in subscribing to Gametap and having to load additional software on my machine, just to play a game. Nor do I want to see streaming videos, etc, while games load. All I want is the Sam and Max game. Now it looks like I have to wait for the CDROM version.

It's been said and advertised a million times that it will be available on telltales site november 1st
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2006
    Now it looks like I have to wait for the CDROM version.

Nope. November 1st, Telltale's site, a download exactly like Hold'Em and Bone. :D
  • edited September 2006
    I thought the Sam And MAx TV show trailer was pulled

Yeah, everything has now been removed. The trailer, the banner ad, the logo on Gametap TV. You can see some screenshots I took of it before they pulled it: http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=17010
  • edited October 2006
    Hey! I just got a NEW preview for the SamnMax show on gametap, about 15 minutes ago! This time it was a commercial for SamnMax, Sealab2021, and "all your favorite cartoon network shows" (including Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Lab).

At the end it said:

"All new. All now."

Problem is, they're NOT there now. No Sam 'n' Max. Here's my screengrab:

Clicky
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks for the screenshot. I'm attempting to find the trailer now, but no such luck so far.

About the accuracy of the trailers, I wouldn't always trust what they say. I find they are sometimes wrong and/or are released at the wrong time. One good example is the Bad Mojo trailer played for over a week that said the game was "now available," yet in contacting a Gametap representative I found out the game won't be added to the system until a future unknown date.
  • edited October 2006
    Maybe since the TV is seeing the light of day again after all these years nelvana will be more open to releasing a DVD. Maybe with the Season 1 boxed set?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.