Any C64/Amiga fans around here?

edited May 2006 in General Chat
The first computer I bought was a C64.. I was seven at the time. I still remember having to wait for like five minutes to run a game since I had to buy tape games.. couldn't afford a floppy drive at that time heh.
A few years later I got the Amiga which completely blew my socks off.. it's a damn good machine and it was a lot better for games than the PCs were back then (this machine was released in 1985 with 32 color, smooth multilayered scrolling, 22 khz stereo sound while most PCs had 4 color graphics and PC speaker). I didn't get it until 1992 or so though.

So does anyone else here have great memories with either of these wonderful machines?

Btw, look at what I just bought hehe.. an Amiga style USB joystick for use in emulators. Very cool I think, it works perfectly in winUAE.. it's just like playing on an Amiga almost :D

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/laffer/joystick.jpg

Comments

• edited April 2006
    Never got into Amiga, but I have fond memories of the C64 from my childhood :)

My parents never owned one, but my school had a bunch in a lab that we could play with.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    No Amiga for me, either, but we had a Texas Instruments 99-4A. Ahh, I loved that thing. I know I said elsewhere that I started adventure gaming with Leisure Suit Larry, but I actually started on the TI with Scott Adams' text adventures. For some reason I always forget about those.

My dad still has like three of these things in a closet. I keep trying to get him to send me one with all the old games. The text adventures were on cassette tapes... you had to plug a tape player in and play the tape for like 20 minutes to load all the information onto the computer before you could start playing.
  • edited May 2006
    I guess the Amiga was far more popular here, in Europe. ;)
    I played Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Indy Crusade, Loom and Monkey 1 on my Amiga 500. They were fabulous: the composite video output made the graphics seem better and the orchestrations for Paula (Amiga soundchip) were great. I also began to play Monkey 2, but unfortunately diskswapping among 11 (ELEVEN!) 3,5" floppies wasn't exactly my idea of entertainment. :p
    I decided to buy a 386 after that traumatic experience!

Anyway, here's my list of videogaming machines:

1) Atari 2600
    2) Commodore 64
    3) Amiga 500
    4) PC 386sx
    5) Pentium 90
    6) Pentium II 300Mhz
    7) Pentium III 450Mhz (laptop)
    8) Pentium IV 2,4Ghz (laptop)
    9) Athlon 64 3500 (the machine I'm using right now)

Bye,
    Diduz (Italy)
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    I too had a beloved TI99-4A, but mine was in shiney silver ! That machine rocked!
    edited May 2006
    You were one of the cool kids then. I always wanted a silver one. Oddly enough, we had THREE of the things at one point, and they were all the ugly beige.

Hunt the Wumpus -- best game ever. :))
  • edited May 2006
    I also began to play Monkey 2, but unfortunately diskswapping among 11 (ELEVEN!) 3,5" floppies wasn't exactly my idea of entertainment. :p
    I decided to buy a 386 after that traumatic experience!
    Hehe I remember I thought that was cool.. when I opened the box and found eleven floppies.. GIANT GAME :eek:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis also came on eleven floppies I think (or was it ten?) and I loved that too.
    I had an extra floppy drive of course.
  • KevinKevin Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    Hunt the Wumpus -- best game ever. :))

agreed....
    edited May 2006
    I'm going to be humming the theme song all day... :D
  • edited May 2006
    joystick.jpg

Ah, the good, old Competition Pro... I can't remember how many of them I've wrecked during several "Decathlon" and "Summer/Winter/World/California Games"-sessions...

But I DO remember how happy my brother and I were, when our dad bought a C-128 in 1987. The two of us running through the house like crazy, chanting "We have a computer!" while dad installed it.

"Maniac Mansion", "Leaderboard", "The Last Ninja" and the good old "Garfield Print Studio" ;)... ah, those were the days.
  • HeatherleeHeatherlee Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2006
    My first machine was an Atari 800. I loooooooooovvee my Atari 800! I still have it and it still works great.

In case you are light on your game machine history: the Atari 800 was the full "computer" version of the 2600. The 2600 only played games. The 800 you could use for all kinds of things. In theory. Besides a brief stint at trying to learn BASIC, I pretty much only played games on it.
    edited May 2006
    Haha... you could do BASIC on the TI computer, too. I had fun with that. We had a book that gave instructions for programming in funny little programs... One was called "Gag me with a spoon". I remember nothing about it... think it had something to do with school lunch. :))

Aww, I have to get my dad to send me one of those TI machines sometime. I feel the need to relive my childhood...
  • edited May 2006
    Im 31 now

Got a C64 in 83

Went Amiga about a year after it came out and finally went pc right around when windows 3.11 came out and I paid 1800 bucks for a 386sx/20 with 2mb of ram

wow.. what the heck happened now i have 3 computers and about a terrabyte of storage..

I actually about 2 years ago found my orig sam and max cd and re-played the whole game...

Im excited these kinds of games are making a comeback.. RTS and FPS's get old and im not so foolish as to let myself get drawn into a MMORPG ;)
  • edited May 2006
    I loved me C=64! I finally put it away pretty much for good in '94. I made a few games for it, which you can now find at various C=64 sites and play on emulators. I actually just talked about the Commodore in this recent interview:

http://igo.ampednews.com/features/196/
  • edited May 2006
    One Amiga 500 fan right here! Favourite games include (which I still play now!):

Lemmings (Amiga version was the only one with the Shadow of the Beast level, complete with music!)
    Lemmings 2: The Tribes (best version, musically)
    Shadow of the Beast 1 & 2 (never could play 3, that was a 1200 game)
    Monkey Island 2 (my first LucasArts adventure - wouldn't play another until we got a PC though!)
    Cannon Fodder 1 & 2 (two of the finest games ever created)
    Bubble Bobble (one of the finest games AND theme tunes ever created - doo, dooo doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doooo...)
    Doctor Who: Dalek Attack (hey, if you're a Doctor Who fan and a videogame fan, you don't have much choice!)
    Jurassic Park (forget the crappy console platformer - this was an epic and wonderful game! The FPS moments against Raptors were soooo tense!)
    Rainbow Islands (another catchy theme tune, although the game was more irritating)
    Double Dragon 1 & 2 (looked crap but were insanely addictive!)
    Fire & Ice (anyone remember this? People remember Sonic, Mario and maybe Zool, but not Cool Coyote! This was a deep, um, cool game!)
    Monty Python's Flying Circus (worth it for the manual alone)
    Street Fighter 2 (the worst version of the game ever created, just try to win as Ryu! Actually, we can scratch this one)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.