Other titles to suffer at the hands of lucasarts

edited November 2005 in General Chat
Hi, first post, sorry if this topic has come up before. I was just thinking about Lucasarts and them cancelling the old dog and rabbit duo, but I was also annoyed that they cancelled the Full Throttle sequal around the same time as well. I was really looking forward to that and it seemed to get a bit over shadowed by S&M. I suppose that also means no more Monkey Island games either. Damn Lucasarts for forgetting their roots, shame on them. Thumbs up for TellTale keeping the genre alive.

Adventure Never Dies

Comments

• edited September 2005
    yeah, we all feel that way...
    Since star wars episode 3 is considered the last movie, that might choke off LucasArts' reliance on star wars. What will they do after this batch of star wars games are done?
  • edited September 2005
    yeah, we all feel that way...
    Since star wars episode 3 is considered the last movie, that might choke off LucasArts' reliance on star wars. What will they do after this batch of star wars games are done?

Games based on the upcoming star wars tv shows.
  • edited September 2005
    but I was also annoyed that they cancelled the Full Throttle sequal around the same time as well. I was really looking forward to that and it seemed to get a bit over shadowed by S&M.

I agree. ;)
    FT2 seemed an interesting way to blend action and adventure. It was considered a bad game by the fans who saw it running at E3 2003, but I still feel it could be something good. Does anyone at TellTale know what was wrong with the project? :-/
    Lucasarts has a new management now, perhaps something will change. They won't be doing adventure games any longer, but they still could produce good story-based games, such as the new incoming Indy game or another RPG (I quite liked Gladius, great game :D ).
    Dom
  • edited September 2005
    Uh, FT2 was hated by fans based on more than the E3 trailer.
  • edited September 2005
    Uh, FT2 was hated by fans based on more than the E3 trailer.

I wasn't talking about the trailer. I was just curious to know the shortcomings found by the fans who tried it at E3 2003. ;)
  • edited September 2005
    Well, the playable demo was apparently far from what the finished product would have looked like, and it's not like many people got to see it, anyway.
  • edited September 2005
    There was another Full Throttle 2 that was canceled before the the last one was started and another Indo adventure game. House of Mojo has the details.

As dor the Star Wars TV show, I just heard on a podcast that plans for a TV series have been halted for now.
  • edited September 2005
    Just because the prequel trilogy is finished certainly doesn't mean they can't flog star wars for at least another five years...

When it has "Lucas" in the name, I'm afraid its only about the marketability... I reckon the only reason Lucasarts have taken the quality nose-dive they have is because big Mr.L realised how much money he could make from it... back in the adventure-game days, it was presumably low-key enough that the suits didn't feel the need to overrule every creative decision they knew nothing about.

I have no doubt that Lucas will find plenty of ways to keep the cash flowing... and it won't have *anything* to do with creativity, I can guarentee.
  • edited September 2005
    Hi, first post, sorry if this topic has come up before. I was just thinking about Lucasarts and them cancelling the old dog and rabbit duo, but I was also annoyed that they cancelled the Full Throttle sequal around the same time as well. I was really looking forward to that and it seemed to get a bit over shadowed by S&M. I suppose that also means no more Monkey Island games either. Damn Lucasarts for forgetting their roots, shame on them. Thumbs up for TellTale keeping the genre alive.

Adventure Never Dies

They will have more Star Wars game no doubt, but they are , if not totally, mostly a publishing company now. They're going to do what most other large publishing companies do, look for the next big hit - the next big money maker. Expect more mmorpgs and games similar in some scope to other big money makers like GTA. GTA mos eisley style maybe? I dunno. Expect games that are an attempt at the next big hit.
  • edited September 2005
    Expect more mmorpgs and games similar in some scope to other big money makers like GTA. GTA mos eisley style maybe? I dunno. Expect games that are an attempt at the next big hit.
    I think that would be kinda neat, though. LucasArts isn't beneath using another game's engine for a Star Wars game. They did it with Galactic Battlegrounds (Age of Empires II) and Battlefront (Battlefield 1942 - or at least, it's a very similar style).
  • edited October 2005
    I think they used the Quake 3 engine for Jedi Outcast/Academy also. They're no stranger to other game's engines, thats for sure.
  • edited October 2005
    It appears someone gave them the idea that the only games which would sell involved star wars. I like a few star wars games (I have Dark Forces I, II, and Jedi Outcast. Jedi Academy sucks and Raven should not be allowed to make any more half-arsed titles) but am mightily cheesed off that they killed their adventures.

I believe the reason the cancelled Full Throttle II was because it was too beat-'em-uppy. I can understand that but I would have thought they could have at least tried again to make a better game rather than scrapping it all together. I still have no idea why they cancelled Sam and Max II. Although I have a theory...

Has anyone looked at a picture of George Lucas lately? you'll notice he has this rather large neck flab. My theory is that the flab blocks off all the brains so he's forced to make terrible movies and decisions instead of the magic he and his company were once capable of. Get the man a liposuctionist!

Also, GTA Mos Eisley style sounds like a truly terrible idea. Please never mention it again or they might find out about it and actually try to sell it. There are enough GTA clones as there is.
  • edited October 2005
    It appears someone gave them the idea that the only games which would sell involved star wars.

This is because anything with 'Star Wars' on it, will sell like hotcakes.
    And in the end, it's all about the money. Somehow Lucas have managed to convince people ha has a product, they desperatly need.

But, as people are saying, and as I believe, this thing will die. People can only stomach so many FPS, and so many RTS games before they've had enough.
  • edited October 2005
    I always wondered why lucasarts never did a star wars adventure game. I mean I'm glad they came up with original IP's... but a SW adventure game could have been pretty cool...
  • edited October 2005
    I believe there was an idea for a Star Wars adventure game where you were C3PO and you... did stuff.
    But then I suppose someone looked at it for a while and thought 'hmm... this looks like a terrible game' (Yes! they actually cancelled a Star Wars game!).
  • edited October 2005
    The Star Wars adventure game was cancelled in favor of Grim Fandango . Saw it in an interview some years back.
  • edited October 2005
    All for the best than. :)
  • edited October 2005
    well I'm surprised it was canned in favor of Grim Fandango, although that's great they had the guts back then to do something like that! Those days are long gone unfortunately...
  • edited November 2005
    What about adventure games suffering under the hands of other developers. Such as the Kings Quest series, The Larry Laffer series, (not technically adventure games, but still...) the LBA series.
    The list could be endless...
  • edited November 2005
    yes to most the market for adventure games is quite dead. Make a shooter and you can make money since the average idiot loves them.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.