Old Time LucasArt

edited March 2005 in General Chat
The thread dedicated to all those patrons of the pont and click games of the old time LucasArt (before they became completely focused on Star Wars). A general discussion on characters, stories and humor of the old time games like monkey isalnd, DOTT, sam & max and Grim Fandango (3-D but still a point and click game). So take a walk down memory lane and remember the good old days.

Comments

• edited February 2005
    Ah yes...those were the good old days, when LucasArts made such entertaining and humorous epics of insanse and wild characters.

I haven't lost all my hope yet. Even though I'm not looking forward to Bone, there's still a sequel to Runaway: A Road Adventure in the works. Runaway was an awesome adventure game title from 2003, with a similar playing format and graphics as CMI. I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about Runaway on this board, it's an excellent title. Runaway 2 is what I have to live for :D .
  • edited February 2005
    I'm dying to play Full Throttle again. It was so fun. especially the end. I never finished the Dig. It was the only one I started and never finished.....welll, same with Escape from Monkey Island :( (mainly because of software problems)

I prefer the 2d all the way. 2d and point and click. I miss it.
  • edited February 2005
    Kinda strange that LA never made a Star Wars adventure game. They have rolled out a bunch of games and not to talk about all the comics and books that have been published. Could have been fun with a point-and-click adventure in the SW-galaxy. Will never happen now, though...

As for the good old times: Those were the days :) I have to say Indiana Jones and the faith of Atlantis made the greatest impact, even though it wasn't my first experience with the genre. That game had it all.
  • edited February 2005
    The game lacked faith, though.
  • edited February 2005
    Kinda strange that LA never made a Star Wars adventure game. They have rolled out a bunch of games and not to talk about all the comics and books that have been published.
    There was a SCUMM Star Wars game in development at one point - with the playable character as...

C-3PO

Suffice to say the game was scrapped.
    Could have been fun with a point-and-click adventure in the SW-galaxy. Will never happen now, though...

Well, I have no idea how all the D&D rules / classes / stats work and am playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republc right now, and it's extremely close in gameplay to a point-and-click adventure. Lots of puzzles to solve, objects to collect, different environments to explore and converstaions to work through - and a great twisting-turning plotline to boot.

If ever you needed a Star Wars adventure game, I think KOTOR would be about as close to perfect a fix as you could possibly get.
  • edited February 2005
    ah yes the good old days. too bad they are long gone. bone is our only hope...well maybe that and a couple others but it will take a lot for another golden age to come. I once wanted to work for LA one day but unless I want to work on a star wars game there isn't any point.
  • edited February 2005
    3PO as the main character sounds pretty, well, weak. Something more like the Day of the Tentacle, where you swithch between different characters would be better. Play Luke, Han and Leia. Oh well...

As for KOTOR, your are quite right, JP. I played the first one and it's just as much an adventure game as a roleplaying game. The story and characters are great, but I won't fall in line and praise this game on all points.
  • edited February 2005
    Grrrrr..... I can't even play thses games anymore! I just got a new computer and it won't take any of the good games like DOTT, S&M and Curse of Monkey Island! Damn you technology!!!
  • edited February 2005
    Grrrrr..... I can't even play thses games anymore! I just got a new computer and it won't take any of the good games like DOTT, S&M and Curse of Monkey Island! Damn you technology!!!

You're in luck! For all of your SCUMM gaming needs on modern computers, use ScummVM. It's free, and also available on different platforms as well as Windows, so if you have a hi-res Palm or Pocket PC, then you've got yourself some real mobile adventure gaming... :D
  • edited February 2005
    (before they became completely focused on Star Wars).

Before the dark times, before the empire. LA sadly saw they could make more money out of selling SW stuff after the success of the Zahn books in the early 90's renewed peoples interest in SW :(

Lets see LA games played

Indy ... something or other (Last Crusade?) (Amiga)
    Indy Fate Of Atlantis (Amiga, PC)
    Monkey Island (Amiga, PC)
    DOTT (PC-CD)
    Sam & Max (PC-CD)
    The Dig (PC-CD)
    Full Throttle (PC-CD)
    Grim Fandango (PC-CD)

Probably my favourite 2 are Dig & FT, in part because I loved the music. (Big fan of film music and game scores)

A lot of them I never actually finished but I greatly enjoyed playing them when I was. My playing stopped for various reasons, sometimes it was boredom (MI), unable to get a puzzle (docks in GF), lost save 2/3's into game (The Dig and S&M), hardware not upto it (Fate on Amiga had to many crabs or lobsters in one scence that made my A500 crawl and put me off finishing).

The only game I definitly know I completed is Full Throttle. It was short but it left me wanting more (and if more had come at a reasonable price I'd have stumped the money up) and I can never forget the bouncing bunny rabbits ...
  • edited February 2005

Don't be silly. Of course you can still play them.

You will need scummVM, and a good idea is to also get the graphical front-end "quick and easy" for scummVM for ease of setup.

http://www.scummvm.org (get the 0.7.0 Windows installer)
    http://quick.mixnmojo.com/ (get quick and easy from here)

Both are free, and quite small downloads.
  • edited February 2005
    Out of curiosity JP how stable is it?
  • edited February 2005
    Well it's a freeware labour of love so there're various glitches people experience on different hardware, but every time an issue comes up it's adressed in the next build.

The daily snapshot CVS can be quite unstable, but the latest release binaries are pretty darn good in my experience.
  • edited February 2005
    ScummVM works quite well, I've had it for some time now.

Playing through DotT again was a joy. What a good game.
  • edited February 2005
    ScummVM works pretty damn well. The version I used to use keeped crapping out on me but the latest versions work good. It also plays pretty much all of Revolution Software's old titles which is also an excellent adventure game developer which is still going strong. While we are on the subject of Lucasarts classics, am I the only one who is a little dissapointed that Sam and Max wasn't the game that Telltale are working on? Oh well. Maybe when Bone is finished and they can afford the license and what not...
    Oh, and for true old gaming goodness I still like to keep my old windows 95 about. The bugs are the only thing keeping it together but it still plays all my old games. Including some of the decent Star Wars games like "Dark Forces". The day someone comes out with a decent emulator for DOS (Why doesn't DOSBOX work proper?) i'm going to throw it out a window from somewhere high up. :)
  • edited February 2005
    I play Dark Forces, X-Wing, TIE Fighter etc on my winXP machine with no problems using VDMSound and the Launchpad front end.
  • edited February 2005
    I think ScummVm is brilliant. Very usefull.
  • edited February 2005
    Nope! Theystill don't work! And I downloaded everything too: the SCUMMVM the Q&E thingy (laoder, music and player) but it still doesn't work! What am I doing wrong?
  • edited February 2005
    Theres something called the daily build. You need to update that. There should be a button for that in the window.
  • edited February 2005
    Grim Fandango was never a point and click game.
  • edited February 2005
    Gee, Fop. Thanks for that information. It was very helpful.
  • edited February 2005
    like the new pic misanthrope
  • edited February 2005
    like the new pic misanthrope
    I'm just glad he got rid of that creepy laughing guy.

He gave me nightmares.
  • edited February 2005
    Thanks all. The older pic was of the parking lot clown from Pee Wee Herman's Big Adventure. I can't tell you how many times it irked me as a kid. But you know what they say. Whatever doesnt kill you, is probably funny.
  • edited February 2005

"and Grim Fandango (3-D but still a point and click game)."

I just pointed out it's not. What's the big deal?
  • edited February 2005
    Two cheeseburgers for 99 cents.
  • edited February 2005
    Does anyone know if there is a box set of any of the old lucas arts games? Like a special edition thingy or if there will be one?
  • edited March 2005
    Does anyone know if there is a box set of any of the old lucas arts games? Like a special edition thingy or if there will be one?

This is the best they've done so far and I wouldn't hold my breath for anything better.

http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/adventure/

The only other adventure games they have available right now are MI 3&4 and Grim Fandango, all available separately. A DVD with all the oldies and some extras (or at least a scummVMesque emulator to the things) would be awesome though.
  • edited March 2005
    They made some other game compilations a while back that you could probably find on Ebay.
  • edited March 2005
    They made some other game compilations a while back that you could probably find on Ebay.

Good call.
  • edited March 2005

Grim Fandango is point and click - except you point with Manny & Click with the spacebar.

So, free fries all round...
  • edited March 2005

It probably would have helped if you had included that quote with your post the first time. As it is, after twenty-something posts, it's not easy to guess at what a person is referring to, and that's even if we think they're they're TRYING to refer to something previous. Your post just looked like it came out of nowhere to state the obvious. But now I see that it wasn't exactly like that.

Grim Fandango is point and click - except you point with Manny & Click with the spacebar.
    I suppose JP may have a point here, but maybe stretching the definition a bit. Oh well. Don't matter none.
  • edited March 2005
    (Why doesn't DOSBOX work proper?)

What is the problem -works like a charm for me! Do you have version 0.63? That is the newest. Also - I found for my graphics card that I have to play it in a window - not full screen. Once I did that I never had another Dosbox problem (I have WinXP Home - 2.8 GHz - GeForce 64MB). I can play everything from Kings Quest 1 to Space Quest 5 to X-wing (shudder).
  • edited March 2005
    (Why doesn't DOSBOX work proper?)

What is the problem -works like a charm for me! Do you have version 0.63? That is the newest. Also - I found for my graphics card that I have to play it in a window - not full screen. Once I did that I never had another Dosbox problem (I have WinXP Home - 2.8 GHz - GeForce 64MB). I can play everything from Kings Quest 1 to Space Quest 5 to X-wing (shudder).

DosBox works awsome
    if its to hard to get to work
    download the D-Fend frontend :D
    which works great
  • edited March 2005
    Has anyone ever tried to and/or played Bioforge with DOSBOX? If so, any luck?
  • edited March 2005
    to be honest i never heard about that game.
    the official dosbox site says that it is playable & suported
    And i highly recomend the D-Fend front end.
This discussion has been closed.