Games are all about money, not love of games ... or are they?

edited March 2005 in General Chat
I saw this thread on Slashdot about how the major game companies have lost their love for games and replaced it with love of money. It points to an article about how the game industry cares nothing about gameplay any more.

A rebuttal was posted thereafter basically saying that the problem is not with the game industry but with the perception of the game industry.

What do you think? Whereas I certainly do not begrudge game makers their desire to make money, have the big game companies lost touch with what gamers - serious gamers - are looking for? Is now the percet time for independent like TTG to break forth and return gaming to the glory days when games from independent companies were the best games to have?

Comments

• edited March 2005
    "Whereas I certainly do not begrudge game makers their desire to make money, have the big game companies lost touch with what gamers - serious gamers - are looking for?"

Therein lies the problem. Financially speaking 'serious gamers' aren't worth $$$. The casual market is huge in comparision and is where all the real cash lies.

Thats not to say there isn't away to appease both groups. Nintendo tends to do a good job broadening their gameplay appeal to casual and 'serious' gamers but tends to miss the mark on marketing and volume of content.

Is there a way to profit on casual gamers and appease the more serious? Absolutely. It just takes more effort than cranking out a liscensed sequel so more companies are hesitant to do it. It takes a certain sort of crazy carefree aloofness for ones personal well being to trade in a sure thing for a long shot. That being said the game industry isn't much older than 20. It's growing into itself and we're still growing into ourselves.

For an industry thats so technology centric, theres a lot of bells and whistles to get over before we can focus back on content. Remember when Movies frivilously used 3d at every oppertunity just because it was 'new'... granted, they still do that, but its starting to get reigned back to cases where its cost effective / more appropriate. Now that we're reaching a point where graphics will get prettier, but not that much prettier.. people can focus back on gameplay.

Have patience, its been a long, awkward puberty.
  • edited March 2005
    Is now the percet time for independent like TTG to break forth and return gaming to the glory days when games from independent companies were the best games to have?

Well that's the thing. Way back when good games used to come from the big companies.
    The casual market is huge in comparision and is where all the real cash lies.

That's almost certainly the case. Even further, there's probably a significant market for people who don't even play video games. It's high time companies start targeting them instead of confining themselves and appealing to what is only a small portion of the audience.

I really like a lot of the points the rebuttal makes though, even if I'm not in total agreement. Excellent read.
  • edited March 2005
    Remember when Movies frivilously used 3d at every oppertunity just because it was 'new'... granted, they still do that, but its starting to get reigned back to cases where its cost effective / more appropriate

That reminds me of the new Star Wars movies. Everytime Yoda spoke there was a mysterious jedi standing behind him holding a glass of water to his mouth. I think I would have rather had a CGI Yoda there.

I don't like the term "serious gamers". Serious gamers? What's it meant to mean anway? Is it talking about all the gamers who buy games because their afraid not to? I don't take games seriously at all. I play them, enjoy them. Does that male me a casual or serious gamer?
  • edited March 2005
    I think he meant 'serious' to just mean 'hardcore' or whatever... the type of person liable to post on a gaming forum and spend time reading / talking about a game versus someone that walks into walmart or best buy and just reads the back of the box.
  • edited March 2005
    I think he meant 'serious' to just mean 'hardcore' or whatever... the type of person liable to post on a gaming forum and spend time reading / talking about a game versus someone that walks into walmart or best buy and just reads the back of the box.
    { bells ringing } You win!
  • edited March 2005
    Where's my prize beotch?
  • edited March 2005
    love of games ? love of money? If there was no money in it there wouldn't be as many games but hey if you make something good it will sell. There isn't really any problem here. Well except those monthly subscription games... so many people have gotten sucked into that trap.
  • edited March 2005
    "but hey if you make something good it will sell. There isn't really any problem here"

Tell that to Looking Glass
  • edited March 2005
    Even further, there's probably a significant market for people who don't even play video games. It's high time companies start targeting them instead of confining themselves and appealing to what is only a small portion of the audience.

Witness the runaway success of The Sims.
  • edited March 2005
    ugh the sims I loathe that game
  • edited March 2005
    Well, I don't mean to be the odd one out or anything, but I don't think The Sims is all too bad. It has it's good qualities as a simulation, like complete control over your sims. Come to think of it, that can lead down alot of sick ad twisted corners, most of them ending in murder. Maybe The Sims eases people's cravings to ruin other people's lives.
  • edited March 2005
    I figure why have the sims when you can just go out and live life on your own anyway. Sims is pretty into the female market thats where it gets it's money from
  • edited March 2005
    As far as i can tell the reason people play the sims is because they can wall 5 people up, set them on fire, watch them live in their own filth, bring people back from the dead, and generally so they can be a complete bastard. I agree though, i hate the sims
  • edited March 2005
    ugh the sims I loathe that game

Yes most "gamers" do, the point being of course that a company makes a game for an uncatered to market outside the normal Gaming Sphere - and has a HUGE hit on their hands.
  • edited March 2005
    yup if they had a martha stewart game out there I'm sure a lot of morons would buy that too
  • edited March 2005
    duh, Lucasarts...
  • edited March 2005
    The great thing about the Sims is the build mode. I like to spend hours creating new locations and houses. Then I let my wife play the actual game. I agree that it is pretty boring controlling people's lives unless they are dying - so I just stick to the build and design mode. In that sense it is a great way to enjoy playing a game as a couple. When she needs a new house built she takes a break and I step in and build it for her.

Also Will Wright, the creator of The Sims (and Sim City et al) is a great guy. He spoke at that GDC about his mission to decrease game designers' dependence on the distributors need for money by decreasing overhead. His next game "spore" will cost way less than the Sims to produce, while providing a brand new experience for gamers.
  • edited March 2005
    sim city wore it's self out after a while too. Open ended games like sims are fun though... like black and white. Too bad black and white 2 doesn't have as much to do with your creature as the first one did but it should still be a ton of fun.
  • edited March 2005
    Black and White... man, was that ever a game that got old really quick. Especially when it started raining fire and brimstone. Don't get me wrong. Great graphics and sound, but it just dragged ass. My creature grew as slow as molasses coming out of a tree in January.
  • edited March 2005
    it was nice to throw flaming rocks into towns though or better yet have my creature throw flaming crap into them. he knew how to put himself out so he was fine. Though for the most I was still good cause you got the best stuff that way.
  • edited March 2005
    Black and White was okay - hey that was put out by EA just like the Sims. When it comes to strategy games though I would much rather fire up Civilization. I could never master the interface for B&W
  • edited March 2005
    It did take a little getting used to but using the hand to activate god powers was fun.
This discussion has been closed.