Puzzles are too easy

Puzzles are too easy to a point where it's not even a "puzzle" anymore. You just click and move on. Telltale has good potential with this so i hope they make this game like they used to[ see Sam&Max for instance]

Comments

• The First Episode had more Puzzles than TWDS2, TWAU, TftBL and GoT together. It's Not saying much But still. :)

• They probably could do some cool puzzles with the Minecraft mechanics so I hope to see more. They shouldn't make the puzzles too difficult though since this is aimed at a younger audience.

• Unfortunately, Telltale doesn't really do puzzles anymore as they think the modern audience isn't interested in them and that they ruin story pacing. I agree seeing puzzles would be cool, but I don't think there will be too many as Telltale is trying to make this game more like their other choice based titles more than Sam and Max or other classic titles.

• Redstone puzzles....

dojo32161 posted: »

They probably could do some cool puzzles with the Minecraft mechanics so I hope to see more. They shouldn't make the puzzles too difficult though since this is aimed at a younger audience.

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited October 2015

Double post.

Take this as compensation for your trauma.

enter image description here

They probably could do some cool puzzles with the Minecraft mechanics so I hope to see more. They shouldn't make the puzzles too difficult though since this is aimed at a younger audience.

• I kinda prefer no puzzles because it does break story pacing sometimes, also this game is targeted at younglings, who probably are already trying to figure out the story, let alone now needing to figure out a puzzle

• Weird, I didn't get any notification that you replied to me at all.

Double post. Take this as compensation for your trauma.

• Well, I saw some grown-up let's players taking a while to do the lever puzzle in the temple, even though I think that kind of puzzle is pretty simple. I imagine kids might have trouble with the puzzles if they are harder, and frustration might make them abandon the game, which is not good for a game that is sold per episode in some platforms.

• Telltale hasn't really done puzzles since Back to the Future. Which is a shame, because they used to come up with really hard ones...

• I don't want any puzzles. I have played The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and Memoria. Now those are adventure games with puzzles and they are breaking the pacing so much. Good stories, but the puzzles grinds the story to a halt. It is simply not for me. That's why I prefer Telltale's adventure games, where story and character interaction is the focus.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited October 2015

For as much flak as Telltale got at the time for using the camera to direct the player to the solutions in puzzles in Back to the Future, there actually were some good ones in that game.

I thought the solution to the password to get the bouncer to open the door at El Cid was brilliant.

Telltale hasn't really done puzzles since Back to the Future. Which is a shame, because they used to come up with really hard ones...

• I freaking love those games.

I don't want any puzzles. I have played The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and Memoria. Now those are adventure games with puzzles and they are

• Oh yeah, that killed me. But if they're going by straight difficult puzzles, Sam and Max is probably their hardest series.

Jennifer posted: »

For as much flak as Telltale got at the time for using the camera to direct the player to the solutions in puzzles in Back to the Future, th

• You played The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and Memoria?

I freaking love those games.

• Yup. I didn't realize I was the only person on the face of the earth who know what they were lol.

You played The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and Memoria?

• Well, they aren't exactly the most well-known game. I definitely like the setting and the story. My main issue with the games it is that both games have a bittersweet ending for Geron. I guess that such bittersweetness fits the setting?

Yup. I didn't realize I was the only person on the face of the earth who know what they were lol.

• I agree. Geron really gets the shaft in those games. I mean he got turned into a statue, and what does he get for it? Watching his girlfriend fly off without him.

Well, they aren't exactly the most well-known game. I definitely like the setting and the story. My main issue with the games it is that both games have a bittersweet ending for Geron. I guess that such bittersweetness fits the setting?

• You let Nuri fly off? I choose to restore her. I know she no longer has her memories, but I thought that Geron has been through so much and he deserve some happiness.

I agree. Geron really gets the shaft in those games. I mean he got turned into a statue, and what does he get for it? Watching his girlfriend fly off without him.

• edited October 2015

Yeah. I let her fly off, because out of everything that happened to him, he's still a noble person at heart. I felt like letting her fly off is what she wanted and was the selfless thing to do. BuT hEy. He's still got good old Hilda. I feel like if I had to deal with the whole situation, I would have said, fuck this shit, and hooked up with Hilda.

You let Nuri fly off? I choose to restore her. I know she no longer has her memories, but I thought that Geron has been through so much and he deserve some happiness.

• Well, we could discuss and talk about this for hours. I respect your choice and a part of me also see it as Geron letting Nuri go and move on with his life. So I can agree with that.

Despite my dislike for these kind of puzzle games, I do hope that Geron's story will continue. Not likely, but I hope so.

Yeah. I let her fly off, because out of everything that happened to him, he's still a noble person at heart. I felt like letting her fly off

• Have you played any of the other Daedalic games?

Well, we could discuss and talk about this for hours. I respect your choice and a part of me also see it as Geron letting Nuri go and move o

• I think so. Doesn't Blackguard take place in the same setting?

Have you played any of the other Daedalic games?

• I think so, but I haven't played that one. Deponia? Night of the rabbit?

I think so. Doesn't Blackguard take place in the same setting?

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited October 2015

I think there are some good middle grounds, such as how Season 3 of Sam and Max had puzzles that were contextually sensitive or how Walking Dead: Season 1 had puzzles that made logical sense in that universe for the most part. Sure, if puzzles are confusing and arbitrarily added to pad out the game, then they aren't good in a Telltale game.

However, I think Telltale has untapped potential where, if they wanted to, they could design puzzles of different difficulty/quantity for each franchise where they add puzzles that are actually integral to forwarding the plot, and are also designed so that "getting stuck" is valid plot progression as the player would have to figure out the character's thought process in advancing the story (as opposed to making puzzles that don't make sense in the story/universe, or are otherwise just pointless additions).

I think puzzles like the one with the Motor Inn in Walking Dead: Season 1 Episode 1 are a good example of what I'm getting at (again, used sparingly where they would make sense in the context of the story, and not just thrown in randomly to slow the player down).

I don't want any puzzles. I have played The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav and Memoria. Now those are adventure games with puzzles and they are

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited October 2015

The car battery puzzle in episode 4 of The Walking Dead: Season One is probably the most classic case of an inventory puzzle that modern Telltale has had, and I thought that they pulled it off really well. It fit within the universe of the game, and it was a bit challenging without being so much so to slow down the pace of the game.

The hardcore adventure game fans that don't consider an adventure game an adventure game without challenging puzzles wouldn't consider it worth playing, but those who don't mind easy puzzle adventure games like Back to the Future would like it, and those who like choices and consequences adventure games liked it as well since it didn't mess with the pacing very much. A few puzzles like that per episode would do a great job at bridging the old audience with the new audience (and, in my opinion, Minecraft: Story Mode is already in a good place to do so as the inventory based crafting and switch puzzle are a step in the right direction).

I think there are some good middle grounds, such as how Season 3 of Sam and Max had puzzles that were contextually sensitive or how Walking

• Puzzles were easy for you? Then I am stupid cause the last one was hard for me.

• This would only be a problem if it was a puzzle game like Sam & Max.

• Puzzle sucks. I spent 1 whole hour on 1 puzzle. Puzzles are old.

Unfortunately, Telltale doesn't really do puzzles anymore as they think the modern audience isn't interested in them and that they ruin stor

• I smashed my pc onto 20 minutes of playing BTTF

Oh yeah, that killed me. But if they're going by straight difficult puzzles, Sam and Max is probably their hardest series.

• Ehh... You might not want to try some of their other stuff then lol

I smashed my pc onto 20 minutes of playing BTTF

• As TeamKennyW00T said you probably won't like games earlier than that. Older Telltale fans complain that the puzzles in BTTF were too easy.

I smashed my pc onto 20 minutes of playing BTTF

• Fixing the train in Episode 3 of The Walking Dead Season 1 was a great experience because it was tough.

@MetallicaRules

• He's trying to summon Metallica, who has strong opinions on that damn puzzle.

• That puzzle at the end of the episode took me 15 minutes... *cries

• edited October 2015

If you miss the puzzles from Sam & Max, you should play the new King's Quest. Its very puzzle heavy, and they took a lot of the mechanics from newer Telltale games, like choices and the same style of QTEs. IMO they've gone where Telltale should have gone after TWD.

• Like scary strong.

He's trying to summon Metallica, who has strong opinions on that damn puzzle.

• edited October 2015

That puzzle fucking sucked, it brought one of the most well written episodes in all of Telltale history into one of my least favorite episodes by them. The episode was doing so well up to that point, but then they throw this piece of shit right into the middle, bringing the entire episode to a grinding halt and the episode never really recovered after that, which is unfortunate. I'm not against them putting a puzzle in there, but not one that fucks up the pacing of the episode and feels like it's only in there to make the episode longer instead of actually contributing something to the story.

Was that good enough @dojo32161?

• Yeah that took me a little while to figure out too, you're not alone.

That puzzle at the end of the episode took me 15 minutes... *cries

• Was that good enough @dojo32161?

enter image description here

(I personally don't mind the puzzle though)

That puzzle fucking sucked, it brought one of the most well written episodes in all of Telltale history into one of my least favorite episod

• I still find it a pain in the ass even now, I just can't stand it. If you like it, fine, but it's just one of my biggest gripes with that episode.

Was that good enough @dojo32161? (I personally don't mind the puzzle though)

Sign in to comment in this discussion.