Tales from the Borderlands succeeded where Walking Dead Wolf Among Us and Life Is Strange failed

Finally a episodic game where your choices actually did matter at the end lol

Many were hyping up Life Is Strange as a game that was going to go far beyond Telltale when it came to choice but surprisingly Life is strange ended up doing far less than even Walking Dead season 2 ( at least season 2 had more endings )

None of your choices from the first 4 episodes of Life Is Strange matter. You could basically skip to episode 5 and make the Huge final choice without feeling like you missed anything.

Even a great game like Walking Dead season 1 failed when it came to making all of your choices feel like they mattered at the end.

As far as Im concerned Tales put them all to shame in episode 5.The moment the "pick your team" menu came up Tales surpassed all of them on choice and it did it without putting a cheap multiple tacked on ending at the end to make you feel like your decisions made a difference .

You mean to tell me I wasted all of my money on costumes when I could have got Athena back ;lol

Comments

• Wow Life is Strange's choices didn't matter at all in the end? So much for everyone saying they were so much better than Telltale at the choice and consequence mechanic

lmao

• edited October 2015

The LIS ending pissed me off. And one of the endings is probably the most selfish, cruelest choice you can make in any video game ive played.

Good that really left a sour taste in my mouth.

• It was nothing but hype carrying that game man I swear

Green613 posted: »

Wow Life is Strange's choices didn't matter at all in the end? So much for everyone saying they were so much better than Telltale at the choice and consequence mechanic lmao

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited October 2015

So there's two endings for LiS

In the first one, simply put, a good half of the choices made across the season are wiped out and undone

The other ending has all the choices you made up to that point in the story stay. However, they don't actually have any effect or bearing on this ending or what happens in it

So yeah, they didn't really amount to all that much in either ending

Wow Life is Strange's choices didn't matter at all in the end? So much for everyone saying they were so much better than Telltale at the choice and consequence mechanic lmao

• Wow Life is Strange's choices didn't matter at all in the end?

Nope. They pulled a Mass Effect 3 on the fans.

• It was perfect, I was expecting great things, but not things THIS great!

Also, for those of you who chose to rule Hyperion, did the story flow well? Because I rejected it and everything went like I expected with the hate and destruction and stuff, so I wanna know if the other decision worked into the ending in a good way!

• Nnnnnnot really. I pretty much went " Wut? Seriously? Okay, running away now...." :/ A low point in an otherwise excellent episode.

It was perfect, I was expecting great things, but not things THIS great! Also, for those of you who chose to rule Hyperion, did the story

• I want to say that Tales from the Borderlands succeeded where Mass Effect 3 failed. Maybe that is too high a praise, but I am giving it because I love this game and I love the ending. :)

Wow Life is Strange's choices didn't matter at all in the end? Nope. They pulled a Mass Effect 3 on the fans.

• yeah i was especially annoyed with the dialogue choices. it was like one minute youre saying 'yeah jack ur the man' and then ur like 'ur evil!!! im leaving!!'. i would have been happier with the story if you at least had some dialogue choices that were more bargaining with jack / trying to take advantage of the relationship you'd built, even if it ended up the same anyway.

Nnnnnnot really. I pretty much went " Wut? Seriously? Okay, running away now...." A low point in an otherwise excellent episode.

• I know the ending you're talking about, and I couldn't agree more, that was one of the worst endings to anything I have ever seen, and I've seen the HIMYM and Two and a Half Men finales.

UmbraCode posted: »

The LIS ending pissed me off. And one of the endings is probably the most selfish, cruelest choice you can make in any video game ive played. Good that really left a sour taste in my mouth.

• I'm tired of this bashing threads.

Life is Strange concluded great, Max realized a great lesson in life and it required her to get up to that point in Friday to realize that her powers are doing something wrong, despite the intentions of good.

Do you really play games just for the choices? I think the story is great, and it connects much more to people by bringing up problems that most teenagers face. Especially suicide.

If you think Life is Strange sucked, then you're not looking hard enough.

• It's not fully about being selfish, it's a choice you do for love.

What if -- let's say -- your significant other is in Chloe's place, would you let that person die or be with them for the rest of your life?

UmbraCode posted: »

The LIS ending pissed me off. And one of the endings is probably the most selfish, cruelest choice you can make in any video game ive played. Good that really left a sour taste in my mouth.

• I don't think Life is Strange sucked. I thought it was a great game. Lots of emotions involved and I love the atmosphere and nostalgic music. And I wasn't angry at the ending, I thought there was a great message behind it. In both endings of the episode, Max either learn that life is strange and something was meant to happen or she accept how her actions caused a lot of destruction. Both choices makes Max grow as a person, accept something and thus become an adult.

I'm tired of this bashing threads. Life is Strange concluded great, Max realized a great lesson in life and it required her to get up to

• blacked out from episode 1 to 4

• Your comment is one of the smartest I've seen around here.

Mari (from GeekRemix) does a good job at explaining my point.

enter link description here

I don't think Life is Strange sucked. I thought it was a great game. Lots of emotions involved and I love the atmosphere and nostalgic music

• Why do keep talking about Life is Strange? it has NOTHING to do with Telltale Studios its from a completely different company

• Life is Strange has literaly nothing to do with Telltale studios or any of telltale's games its from a completely different company

• Its all good man. I agree

I want to say that Tales from the Borderlands succeeded where Mass Effect 3 failed. Maybe that is too high a praise, but I am giving it because I love this game and I love the ending.

• If you think Life is Strange sucked, then you're not looking hard enough.

Because screw people with different opinions.

I'm tired of this bashing threads. Life is Strange concluded great, Max realized a great lesson in life and it required her to get up to

• edited October 2015

What a load of pretentious bullcrap. The problem alot of people have with the endings is not solely on "Wish fulfillment" or that we didn't get the supposed final message, but more of the logic behind them.

Your comment is one of the smartest I've seen around here. Mari (from GeekRemix) does a good job at explaining my point. enter link description here

• That's such a pathetic argument. Opinions are what people shout when they don't have anything worthwhile to say. Sure, everybody has an opinion, but as anybody with any level of education might tell you; not all opinions hold equal weight.

If you think Life is Strange sucked, then you're not looking hard enough. Because screw people with different opinions.

• That's such a pathetic argument.

No its not.

Opinions are what people shout when they don't have anything worthwhile to say.

You mean like the opinion you just gave?

Rehjewel posted: »

That's such a pathetic argument. Opinions are what people shout when they don't have anything worthwhile to say. Sure, everybody has an opinion, but as anybody with any level of education might tell you; not all opinions hold equal weight.

• Yeah but they dont even try to go back and look for people, it's straight up "k bye, we're going c ya"

It's not fully about being selfish, it's a choice you do for love. What if -- let's say -- your significant other is in Chloe's place, would you let that person die or be with them for the rest of your life?

• Jack tries to kill you again, which is pretty in character for Jack so rule hyperion choice works in a way

It was perfect, I was expecting great things, but not things THIS great! Also, for those of you who chose to rule Hyperion, did the story

• So you've said, the reason people are is because its a pretty big Choice based game to be released alongside Telltale and on the same date as Tales, so why wouldn't people compare them?

Why do keep talking about Life is Strange? it has NOTHING to do with Telltale Studios its from a completely different company

• Everyone in the town died actually.

Talimancer posted: »

Yeah but they dont even try to go back and look for people, it's straight up "k bye, we're going c ya"

• enter image description here

What a load of pretentious bullcrap. The problem alot of people have with the endings is not solely on "Wish fulfillment" or that we didn't get the supposed final message, but more of the logic behind them.

• edited October 2015

I enjoyed LiS and Tales From The Borderlands. Though, I wouldn't compare the two at all since they are vastly different.

Honestly, saying your choice matters in TFTB simply because you pick a team at the end hurts my brain. LiS just like all of the TTT games are more narrative based.

Now, the fact you have to complain about LiS on a TTT community forum while A LOT of people actually enjoyed them both is ridiculously hilarious.

• Not my point, but okay.

If you think Life is Strange sucked, then you're not looking hard enough. Because screw people with different opinions.

• I loved Tales, but i don't think your choices were any different to your team at the end of Walking Dead season 1.

And life is strange was a brilliant game with the decisions having a huge emotional effect on the player, even if they didn't mean much in the final episode. Plus they had a tiny budget.

I thought Tales was amazing, one of my favourite games of all times, and i liked how it gave me the option to bring my own team into play at the end depending on choices. But i don't think it was anything deeper than what has been done before. It didn't matter in the sense of outcome.

• edited October 2015

You're only continuing to prove how difficult it is for you to comprehend the difference between subjective and objective. "This sucks" and "this rocks" contribute nothing of significance in the scholarly world, and throwing around the most commonly used secondhand argument of "well, yeah, opinions" contributes nothing new either. This is factual, not opinion. Tales from the Borderlands was great, but you people that can only support one thing by bashing another are the worst.

That's such a pathetic argument. No its not. Opinions are what people shout when they don't have anything worthwhile to say. You mean like the opinion you just gave?

• Really? My Rhys realizing Jack to be a truly psychotic maniac that hoped to exterminate his former host and shove a robot inside of its corpse, so that Jack could continue to create an army of robot replicas seemed like a pretty horrendous, eye-opening moment. Not sure if this flowed differently for others, but as someone that chose to rule Hyperion, it fell perfectly into line in my story.
    Curious; can Sasha die? Wasn't there a choice to discard the gift that saves her? Given how many months it's been since playing that specific episode, I'm not sure whether I'm remembering the option incorrectly or not.

yeah i was especially annoyed with the dialogue choices. it was like one minute youre saying 'yeah jack ur the man' and then ur like 'ur evi

• Life Is Strange Episode 6: Truth - The Woman Who Sold The World. Coming 1984.

• edited October 2015

The internet would be a much better place if people realised they likely don't speak for the majority nor do they speak facts, only opinions. It's the source of quite a few arguments, rather than accepting people simply have different views and that something's not necessarily bad just because they dislike it, while dismissing anything else that doesn't agree with their view and possibly being insulting while doing so.

Rehjewel posted: »

You're only continuing to prove how difficult it is for you to comprehend the difference between subjective and objective. "This sucks" and

• We're bashing Life again for no reason? Okay here we go.

First off OP, if you're going to have 3 other titles to compare against Tales' choice, try and compare them all instead just slandering the one that you don't care for the most. I do see you mentioned TWD but it might as well shouldn't have been there since you barely said a thing about it, and where's your comparison about TWAU? Hm... Seems pretty biased already but here we go anyway.

I will agree that out of all of TellTale's games, Tales has proven to me to the best in nearly all fields, the choices you could make in this game certainly felt more weighty than ever before as well.

Now to get to the unneeded bashing you and plenty of others are taking part in. No, you don't need to skip through episodes 1-4 of Life and just go to 5, that's easily the dumbest thing I've heard someone say about an episodic game. Life has the player form bonds/relationships with people through talking/choices/events and obviously you wouldn't know half of what's going on by just jumping to the 5th. I can agree that at the end of episode 5 of Life it did feel like none of my choices mattered and there were still very important things needing to be explained. I'd say you should skip episode 5 if any since it's the one that fumbled at the very end, like plenty of other TellTale games do too.

Dontnod and TellTale obviously have a very different style and approach to the episodic game genre and frankly I'm getting tired of everyone just latching onto Life to bash it when there are other episodic games coming out now too. Has anyone else played the newest King's Quest for example? Mind you, it only has 1 episode currently but it does a damn good job too just like any TellTale game or Life but I don't see anyone talking about that.

While people can say TellTale does do some things better than Life, (geeze I would hope so since they've been doing episodic games for how long now?) Life in comparison does some things better than TellTale too. So STOP needlessly bashing Life just for the sake of it to those who are, especially when it's clear how biased you are, doesn't really make for a great thing to bother trying to compare if you're not going to listen anyway.

Yes, Tales was amazing, but Life and King's Quest are amazing too. And guess what? Each one sucks in some regard or another too.

• Yeah but do they know that?

Everyone in the town died actually.

• You can´t discard it. You can look at it but that´s it. Tbh that would be a really cruel thing to do. From both Telltale and Fiona.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.