Handsome Jack Ep. 5 (SPOILERS)

Comments

• ...the feels are real...
    TwT

This makes it worse for you since have ROSE in your name

• I feel he's dead either way. He'll still be in what he refers to as 'there' (Basically hell or purgatory) He can just be taken from 'there' when he becomes active again

bocajbee posted: »

He's not dead if you don't crush the Implant to my understanding.

• Yeah, the thing is, they could have done so much more with that - the AI isn't really HJ? Show us how it's different and how that leads to everything it planned failing, don't just have it suddenly turn on a loyal Rhys for no reason. It is actually like Jack? Have him at least explain how he needs to get rid of Rhys since you're too alike and Jack believes that will lead to you betraying him eventually, so better safe than sorry... Still not ideal solutions, since I'd seriously love a 'Rhys is power hungry and it makes him evil' option, but still better than what we got.

And for the love of god, vary the auto-dialog Rhys has... don't give pro-Jack Rhys lines that clearly fit anti-Jack Rhys, amp up the drama, have Rhys ask Jack why he's doing this to him when he's been nothing but loyal, make Rhys promise Jack he'd get him back on top as an echo of that choice back at the start of episode 2, and ok, have Jack turn that all down with a 'can't take the risk, kiddo, sorry', but don't give me this generic 'I hate HJ' crap...

C'mon people, so many missed opportunities in the intro alone ;_;

I am so glad other people are seeing that! My husband is just as huge of a fan as I am, and we both think it was either lazy writing, or sho

• I almost felt bad, but then I thought "Well, you killed a lot of people. How many of them begged for their lives just like you are doing now, and you killed them anyway?".

Rhys said he was sorry, and then crushed the AI.

• I sympathised with him because he has been screwed over so many times - and that could have driven him down the path he took - but he has had his chances to repent. He isn't trustworthy at all

• Definitely agree! There was way more that could've been included. That, and why go through the trouble of bringing Handsome Jack back from the grave JUST TO KILL HIM OFF AGAIN!?! It was a b#tch slap to the whole fandom, in my opinion. And so many people in gearbox admit to thinking it was a bad idea to kill him off in the first place. Now, any other villain will be 'the replacement of Handsome Jack.'

Yeah, the thing is, they could have done so much more with that - the AI isn't really HJ? Show us how it's different and how that leads to e

• edited October 2015

I had been strongly thinking of going back and doing the silent options for the same reasons you did. Too bad that didn't help.

I mean, CLEARLY, it wasn't going to work out but I thought it would be a bit longer, the Jack hack of the robots was a longer scene then ruling the Hyperion. I figured that Rys would help out his friends get rid of their minders and kill of that woman that betrayed Rys. Instead it's three options that I didn't care about. Especially when I am still trying to open a freaking vault! My imprint is still on the damn artifact, how is it a good idea to kill me before I have even opened the vault? Jack should have had some sort of longer game going to let everyone escape and then swoop in when the vault opens.

However, if I had just had some damned options while talking, that could have mitigated my upset. Being put up like that made no sense. I really hated being told I betrayed Jack for not wanting to be killed. At least make it clear that Jack realizes that HE's the one stabbing ME in the back.

Yeah, the first time I played through that bit it felt so surreal I was honestly expecting a Stranger 'stop lying, tell me what really happe

• But how many people did you kill when Hyperion crashed into Pandora? Sort a hard to take the moral high ground at that point.

Abeille posted: »

I almost felt bad, but then I thought "Well, you killed a lot of people. How many of them begged for their lives just like you are doing now, and you killed them anyway?". Rhys said he was sorry, and then crushed the AI.

• Oh man, you know a lot of people died when that thing crashed, both on and off Helios. Yeah, that wasn't the smartest move on Rhys' part.

But how many people did you kill when Hyperion crashed into Pandora? Sort a hard to take the moral high ground at that point.

• That's gotta get Rhys' death toll up close to Jack's. Yeah Jack wiped out bandit camps but its never implied that Pandora is a super densely populated. And with all the activity shown on Helios it was probably packed with people. Not to mention the deaths on Pandora from falling debris.

But how many people did you kill when Hyperion crashed into Pandora? Sort a hard to take the moral high ground at that point.

• edited October 2015

I thought it was an awesome scene - really liked it.

Couldn't bring myself to finish him off though... just...couldn't. That bit with him begging? I had my Rhys do that with Vasquez... made me think that while Jack could obviously never be allowed to be in a position of power, he and Rhys really weren't that different at heart when in a totally helpless situation.

• I killed him, but I gotta say what he was saying about "it isnt what they say, theres nothing" was kinda sad to hear Jack saying that

• edited October 2015

To be honest, I don't think in his mind he was betraying you. Granted, it was a betrayal of sorts to the outside observer, but he's so egotistical and thinks Rhys thinks the world of him (which, to be fair, you can do as Rhys), that in Jack's mind offering the chance for you to be him is the ultimate reward - of sorts.

AgentZ46 posted: »

You rule... for like five minutes then Jack betrays you, I'm super annoyed about that.

• edited October 2015

So?

What Rhys did doesn't suddenly erase, compensate or excuse in any way what Jack did. Just because Rhys killed a lot of people, it doesn't mean Jack doesn't deserve to be punished by his own crimes. These are two separate things. I wouldn't blame a Hyperion that lost his friends in the crash if they tried to kill Rhys for what he did either.

Besides, I'm not Rhys, and it wasn't my decision to crash the space station, it was his. I find it fairly easy to take the moral high ground.

• I won`t give up the man I have witnessed at The Pre-Sequel. I know he is still inside him !

• I'll never shed a tear for Jack.

• This is why I had Rhys saying "I guess I'll have to learn to live with that".

• Not as many as Jack would kill if left with complete control over Helios.

• I didn't say it excuses Jack, just saying there is no moral high ground here.

Abeille posted: »

So? What Rhys did doesn't suddenly erase, compensate or excuse in any way what Jack did. Just because Rhys killed a lot of people, it doe

• But he would bring them back, sort of...

Forsoothe posted: »

Not as many as Jack would kill if left with complete control over Helios.

• I actually don't think Handsome Jack really "betrayed" Rhys as much as he felt he was doing him a favor in that Handsome Jack thinks that Rhys is a heavily obsessed Handsome Jack fanboy like Nakayama, so Handsome Jack gives him a chance to actually "become" Jack. I also am not convinced Handsome Jack actually died as much as he was just trapped in the AIverse, I have a feeling we'll be seeing him again, if not I felt this was satisfying for what it was. The only thing I will agree with is Rhy's 180 of a character once Handsome Jack reveals his plan, if Rhys was pro Jack then he wouldn't automatically ditch Handsome Jack like that, granted my Rhys was more scared of Handsome Jack and just took an opportunity to become a company leader rather than become another Handsome Jack so the writing didn't bother me in that department.

The worst thing is it's not even 'Jack betrays you', which I guess could somehow be explained by his paranoia (though that'd still be stretc

• edited October 2015

Crushed with a smile in my face, thinking "so long, asshole, this is for Roland and Bloodwing".

• Did not even flinch when i crushed him... He actually looked really pathetic i the end...

• I kept him could be fun to put him into something harmless were all he could do was shout random one liners

• I won, he lost again, end of story.

• When it came down to it.. I destroyed him without hesitation.

enter image description here

• Sad funeral song commences

BLAKE! WHERE'S A BLOODY VIOLIN?!

• Sooo, something I kinda just thought about. The AI said he was gonna put the robot body snatched into the body of Handsome Jack. Where is the body? :/

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

The only thing I will agree with is Rhy's 180 of a character once Handsome Jack reveals his plan

This is the only thing I really didn't like about that scene

Jack 'betraying' me by making the assumption that I'd be quite glad to have a robot skeleton shoved into my skeleton, then taking my justified "hell no" response as me backstabbing him, that's fine, but the fact that every option there is basically just "screw you Jack you're nuts" is disappointing. I mean, I'm not against every option there essentially being "uh, no", but I'm against every one being overly aggressive and confrontational, and having Rhys unnecessarily decide to pick a fight with Jack (or uncharacteristically, if you were pro-Jack up until then). There should have at least been one option that was more diplomatic, like "I kind of don't want that skeleton shoved into me, is there any-- you know, any other way for you to do this? Like uh--like, maybe you could just use a, I don't know, a janitor or something instead?" and have it go from there.

J-Master posted: »

I actually don't think Handsome Jack really "betrayed" Rhys as much as he felt he was doing him a favor in that Handsome Jack thinks that Rh

• Well....there's always the silent treatment.

Deltino posted: »

The only thing I will agree with is Rhy's 180 of a character once Handsome Jack reveals his plan This is the only thing I really did

• It was too fucking painful...

Well played, Telltale.

• edited October 2015

enter image description here

Sooo, something I kinda just thought about. The AI said he was gonna put the robot body snatched into the body of Handsome Jack. Where is the body?

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

I suppose

But then there's the fact that Jack takes the silent treatment even worse than actually saying something to him, and calls you a shitbag

Well....there's always the silent treatment.

• Well, he's coco for coco puffs. :/

Deltino posted: »

I suppose But then there's the fact that Jack takes the silent treatment even worse than actually saying something to him, and calls you a shitbag

• Is there a way to sace him? Or does he die whether or nit you rule or reject hyperion?

• This is my exact thought. Where is it? Was it on Helios? If it was, was it frozen or something? And if Hyperion had his body, why was no one else trying to clone him? I don't understand. :\

• It happens no matter what, from what I've been told.

Is there a way to sace him? Or does he die whether or nit you rule or reject hyperion?

• His corpse on Pandora?

This is my exact thought. Where is it? Was it on Helios? If it was, was it frozen or something? And if Hyperion had his body, why was no one else trying to clone him? I don't understand.

• Yeah, the AI wanted to be back in his body, his real body. So, I just gotta wonder if his body was on Helios already or.... oh I just visualized nightmare fuel. O.o

His corpse on Pandora?

• edited October 2015

Don't do it! Don't go down that thought path. Nothing good can come from thinking about Zombie AI Jack

Hmmm... wonder if he would get along with TK Baha....

Yeah, the AI wanted to be back in his body, his real body. So, I just gotta wonder if his body was on Helios already or.... oh I just visualized nightmare fuel. O.o

Sign in to comment in this discussion.