Connection between the end of TPS and TFTB

WARNING, this post also contains spoilers to Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

So, after the euphoria about having Athena in my party for the Traveler's Vault passed, I could not stop wondering, how the hell did she get there and why isn't she freaking about the weird alien that saved her life at the end of TPS?

This guy(gal?) here:
enter image description here

And I'm pretty sure that the creatures that Fiona / Sasha fight when they are inside the Traveler are of the same race (they're the Eridian I guess, It has been a while since I played TPS), just less armored.

That got me thinking: At the end of TPS, the Eridian alien told Lilith, Athena and the others that there wasn't time for bickering, a war was coming and they would need all the vault hunters they could get. One could think that the war was the fight with the Traveler, but it was too small in scope to be called a war, even if they really did need all the vault hunters they could hire, one of the reasons Athena was there. While that might have not been (and I actually hope it isn't, since it's setting the board to new heights at the franchise) the war mentioned, there were definitely connections, and my guess would be that the war will be between the Eridians and the rest of the world, but there are some Eridians (like the one that saved Athena) that are against the main faction (kinda like a civil war), and that the Traveler was one of the if not THE transport system used by the Eridians to get to Pandora, and destroying it have delayed the invasion.

Since gearbox worked with Telltale in the making of this game, we can safely assume that everything is canon and a direct continuation of the timeline set by the 3 previous games.

Now if only we knew what will come next, season 2 or Borderlands 3 (4?)...

Comments

• TPS was before BL2 mate. So no chance they are fighting the traveler as a war.

• The game indeed was before BL2, but it is a story told by Athena, and at the end, she finished the story, and the cutscene that ensues happens direct after BL2, and a while after the beginning of TFTB episode 4 (after Athena is captured, she is taken to Lilith, where she tells her the story of Handsome Jack in TPS).

TPS was before BL2 mate. So no chance they are fighting the traveler as a war.

• How did you know she was taken to lilith?

LukeZC posted: »

The game indeed was before BL2, but it is a story told by Athena, and at the end, she finished the story, and the cutscene that ensues happe

• It's either Brick, Mordecai, or Vallory that mentions Lilith when they're taking Athena away.

How did you know she was taken to lilith?

• edited October 2015

See here, this is the intro for TPS, she is already tied to that post, Mordecai is there with Brick, notice that Mordecai is helping Brick walk, that's because he was shot in the foot by Fiona at TFTB ep 4. They took her to Lilith, she told the story of the origin of Handsome jack, and then this happens at the end of that game:

(after the 2:00 mark)

How did you know she was taken to lilith?

• I definitely think that the Eridians are a splintered group, with at least two, if not more sides involved, fighting for something ... And I don't think The Traveler was the war, or even a preview -- just a Vault monster. I do think that the way that Rhys and Fiona disappeared at the end means they've been sent to where the action will eventually be, or have been set on that path.

One thing I did notice was this: Athena was there, then taken away by Brick and Mordecai, then she returns from the interrogation, KNOWING what the Eridians said to her ... and yet, she's selling skag meat, and Janey's still reminding Athena how she's given up life as a Vault Hunter, talking about their wedding. So, either A.) Athena hasn't told Janey what really happened with Lilith and the Eridian, B.) She told her and Janey doesn't care, or C.) She told Janey and she's giving it all up regardless.

I mean, serious shit is about to go down and Athena is aware of this. I can't imagine she would just walk away from it at this point.

• ....The guardians have been in the games forever and vault hunters have fought them in every single Borderlands game in one form or another. They're just constructs. The creature that intervenes to stop Lilith's brainfart at the end of TPS is an ACTUAL Eridian.

• Yeah, I know, but I mentioned that the creatures inside the Traveler (the construct fought by megazord gortys) are of the same race of the one that saved Athena, the actual Eridians. The traveler might have just been a mobile home or a travel mean for the Eridians inside it. There's no denying that Athena being available for that vault business almost 1 year after she was saved and told that a war was coming is either a big plot hole or something big not yet explained.

....The guardians have been in the games forever and vault hunters have fought them in every single Borderlands game in one form or another.

• Erm, the guardians are about as much Eridian as Claptrap is human. They are artificial The being saving Athena is the only living Eridian that has ever appeared in any Borderlands game.

As for Athena being available, 'war is coming' without spesific timeframe given is just about the same as TellTale telling us something is coming SOON(tm). Nothing has happened and Athena hasn't been called up so there's no plot hole here.

Yeah, I know, but I mentioned that the creatures inside the Traveler (the construct fought by megazord gortys) are of the same race of the

• edited October 2015

The aliens that appear inside the Traveller don't look like constructs to me... I think they are living ones.

They pretty much resemble the one that saved Athena, sans the armor and the weird psychic powers.

And yeah, I know that "war is coming" is incredibly vague, but still, Gearbox worked with Telltale here, so I'm still pretty sure that there's a connection, and 1 year is a long time to go without even touching the subject...

Erm, the guardians are about as much Eridian as Claptrap is human. They are artificial The being saving Athena is the only living Eridian th

• It's been confirmed that the "guardians" we're Fighting Aren't real Eridians. They're constructs of the real Eridians(you could say clones in weak) But its Not clear of "the watcher" (that Alien in TPS) is an actual Eridian But it Most likely is because of the Name. ("The watcher" was Used from several persons on Elpis and it's in the Game data too.) every "real" Eridian is called something like "the watcher", "the warrior", "the destroyer", "the sentinel" or "the Traveller".

The aliens that appear inside the Traveller don't look like constructs to me... I think they are living ones. They pretty much resemb

• edited October 2015

I know, but compare this image below with the previous one I posted:

This one here indeed looks like it's an artificial being, and is found in the other Borderlands games.
    The one I posted before was found in TFTB inside the Traveler, and they resemble the ones we fought in the other games, but less artificial.

Also, they carry staves like the one that saved Athena (is its name really confirmed as "The Watcher"?), while the obviously artificial use energy blades, but while that doesn't prove anything, it might be relevant.

GSSalvador posted: »

It's been confirmed that the "guardians" we're Fighting Aren't real Eridians. They're constructs of the real Eridians(you could say clones i

• Well you have a Point there. The guardians in BL1 Are looking indeed more artificial. And it was called "the watcher" from several persons in TPS. And it's called "the watcher" in the Game Files. Soo Maybe. They may have changed it, But i don't think so.

I know, but compare this image below with the previous one I posted: This one here indeed looks like it's an artificial being, and is

• enter image description here

Looks can be decieving, and Eridian technology is completely different than human tech. The guardians come in many, many varieties that look completely different from eachother but are clearly of the same origin. And some of them do indeed use the staves seen here as a weapon in TPS.

The aliens that appear inside the Traveller don't look like constructs to me... I think they are living ones. They pretty much resemb

Sign in to comment in this discussion.