With Tales concluded, do you think Telltale should help Gearbox write Borderlands 3?

In terms of storytelling, It's kind of hard to quantify how much Telltale raised the bar for the Borderlands franchise over the past year with Tales. However, this has come to make me think; should Telltale write the script for Borderlands 3 (or at least help) in order to uphold this increased level of quality?

For some reason, I can imagine Borderlands 3 expanding it's RPG elements, especially in regards to character interaction.

I think it would be amazing if you could interact with characters in BL3 with a Tales like conversation wheel, instead of them being human quest/vending machines like in previous games. This would be the kind of stuff Telltale could write well in their sleep as well.

Telltale collaborating with Gearbox for Borderlands 3 would seem like a great idea in my books.

Just my two cents but.

Comments

• I like to think that taletail can do character development ( protagonist wise ) better than gear box thought I understand their reasons.

• edited October 2015

I would love for Telltale to help out with Borderlands 3, if they've got the time to do so! It'd be awesome, even if it's just something minor, like helping to write dialog for Tales-original characters like Rhys and Fiona.

• Yes, that would be fantastic.

• No, I think Telltale should stay away from it to be honest.

• Agreed. The main BL series is GB's "thing" and it just wouldn't feel right to get TTG involved when they're already working with 2K Games.

AgentZ46 posted: »

No, I think Telltale should stay away from it to be honest.

• edited October 2015

Hm maybe.

At the very least, I hope Tales has at least convinced gearbox to up their writing game beyond the cringey "lululul le dank memes" level they're currently at.

I don't think Borderlands 1 or 2 ever made me actually laugh or cry. Especially Borderlands 2's flop attempts at somber moment's, which just felt really shallow and out of context.

aDg2k14 posted: »

Agreed. The main BL series is GB's "thing" and it just wouldn't feel right to get TTG involved when they're already working with 2K Games.

• I don't exactly think I'd want em to team up, in fact I can't really see it happening since they've both got their own projects, but I could definitely seeing them "advising" in a way if Gearbox were to use Rhys or Fiona or Loaderbot or anybody in the next Borderlands (Which I really hope they do!).

• YES. YES. YES.

ALL MY YES.

DO IT.

• I'd support aything that gave me a chance of seeing Rhys and Fiona again :')

• After all the critical acclaim I'd be surprised if they didn't. Though I wouldn't expect them to take a major part in it, probably just help with certain story points and characters.

• Yeah I think Telltale should collaborate with Gearbox on a Borderlands 3, there's a lot they could learn from each other. They had a writer from Gearbox come over and write some things on Jack and some things right? That could definitely work both ways.

• This was Anthony Burch right?

Lilacsbloom posted: »

Yeah I think Telltale should collaborate with Gearbox on a Borderlands 3, there's a lot they could learn from each other. They had a writer

• Yup, Anthony Burch. He wrote the Handsome Jack scenes along with a few others and the Jack-a-pedia entries.

bocajbee posted: »

This was Anthony Burch right?

• If characters from Tales appear in Borderlands 3 ( and I really hope for that to happen) than sure, Telltale needs to be involved in the writing.

• As long as anthony burch isn't too involved with bl 3 im happy as i can be : U i loved tales a lot! it was so well written, though the burch parts always kinda stuck out as being.. well, not as good as the rest

i feel like some creative involvement from ttg in the next borderlands would be great, but i would also be curious to see what the new writers of bl 3 could do with the current characters!

• Only if we get Fiona and maybe Rhys as Vault Hunters we can play as.

• I don't know about that, the final Jack and Rhys confrontation, which he wrote, was one of Telltale's best scenes in my opinion. Burch can be a great writer when he doesn't try to throw in his usual bullshit, and that was put on display here, it was a very fitting send off for Handsome Jack.

0nryo posted: »

As long as anthony burch isn't too involved with bl 3 im happy as i can be : U i loved tales a lot! it was so well written, though the burch

• What other scenes has Anthony Burch written for Telltale's stuff? I'm not really familiar with the writers at Telltale except a few.

I don't know about that, the final Jack and Rhys confrontation, which he wrote, was one of Telltale's best scenes in my opinion. Burch can b

• I wouldn't understand Fiona not appearing as a Vault Hunter in a Borderlands game! I think Gearbox, more than any other company, is really involved and appreciative with what Telltale did with the game, instead of doing nothing or completely forgetting about it (cough Road to Woodbury cough). The other franchises Telltale has worked with don't really reference the games in any way or get too excited about them. But Gearbox does! And I don't think Telltale would singularly push the idea of Fiona as a Vault Hunter if there wasn't a grand scheme involved!

SazukeEX posted: »

Only if we get Fiona and maybe Rhys as Vault Hunters we can play as.

• edited October 2015

Anthony Burch is not a Telltale writer, he was formerly a Gearbox writer and was the head writer of Borderlands 2 and wrote about 30% of The Pre Sequel. He was called in later in the series and he ended up writing:

1. All of the Jack-apedia entries
    2. The Rhys and Jack caravan conversation (Episode 3)
    3. The Athena eye joke (Episode 3)
    4. The Fiona and Janey conversation (Episode 4)
    5. Misogynism in corporate executives (while funny, this is what I mean by usual bullshit, Episode 4)
    6. Rhys and Handsome Jack in his office (Episode 5)
    7. The final interaction with Handsome Jack (Episode 5)
    8. A good part of the climactic battle (Episode 5)

Also, according to the AMA, he was asked about the idea of destroying Helios, and he agreed.

What other scenes has Anthony Burch written for Telltale's stuff? I'm not really familiar with the writers at Telltale except a few.

• No. I think Telltale should focus on Telltale Games (the walking dead season 3, super show, marvel game, minecraft, etc) instead of focusing on another developers game.

• Oh okay! Thank you!

The Athena eye joke (Episode 3)

And that was him? That gave me a good laugh!

Anthony Burch is not a Telltale writer, he was formerly a Gearbox writer and was the head writer of Borderlands 2 and wrote about 30% of The

• Yeah, that part was hilarious.

Oh okay! Thank you! The Athena eye joke (Episode 3) And that was him? That gave me a good laugh!

• I'm actually ok with the meme references and bizarre sense of humor. I actually hope they keep it like that for BL3 or whatever's next. Wouldn't be a BL game without it! :)

bocajbee posted: »

Hm maybe. At the very least, I hope Tales has at least convinced gearbox to up their writing game beyond the cringey "lululul le dank mem

• No. Gear box have good writers. Telltale don't need their best writers working for another studio. It'll make their other games suffer. Plus it'll just delay any potential season 2, and I imagine Borderlands 3 is well into development anyway.

• Didnt the creator and director of Borderlands leave Gearbox just recently?

• No Gearbox can handle it.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.