Better Than TWD?

After going through episode 1-5 I thought that this was a great game. I enjoyed it immensely and thought that it was the best game Telltale bought out in a while.

Then I started reading some reviews and noticed a little trend. People were calling this GOTY contender and even some saying this was significantly better than TWD Season one. While I enjoyed this game I don't see where it should get that type of praise.

How do you feel about this game? Do you think it was better than TWD?

Comments

• Yes! Without a doubt!

• This is by far my favourite Telltale game. Definitely better than The Walking Dead.

• If we go by cry count, TFTB wins. Last episode made me cry 3 times. Damnit Telltale.

If we go by story, I'd have to say The Walking Dead since that is more character development based, and more focused on story where Tales from the Borderlands is obviously more action. Personally I like The Walking Dead better, but that doesn't say much because I fucking loved Tales from the Borderlands.

• TftB surpassed TWD already after episode 2. Simply put it this game is the masterpiece.

• My favorite Telltale Games. It managed to surpassed The Walking Dead. It has everything. Action. humor, heartwarming stuff, horror, darkness, drama, tears and victory.

By the end of the game, everyone in the crew is alive and happy. Our main crew of characters has gotten their character development. And it ends so perfectly. I love this game. :)

• That's interesting because I didn't get emotional at all during my play through. Quite frankly my favorite character would have to be gortys which says good and bad things about how the other characters were developed.

The serious moments never sunk in and I felt like they resolved the betrayal and handsome jack deal way too quickly. Kinda felt like the episode kinda went the route of GoT where it was kinda brushed aside way too quickly.

LineLiar posted: »

If we go by cry count, TFTB wins. Last episode made me cry 3 times. Damnit Telltale. If we go by story, I'd have to say The Walking Dead

• If characters actually died in the end and it wasn't as happy. Would you still like it as much?

Sometimes those types of things are a big factor on how we view certain games.

My favorite Telltale Games. It managed to surpassed The Walking Dead. It has everything. Action. humor, heartwarming stuff, horror, darkness

• Hell yea, like I said in multiple threads it has exceeded my expectations and went straight to the #1 spot of my list of Telltale Games.

• Hand down better, but still close for me between Tales and Wolf

• I think for me Tales is about tied with the first season of The Walking Dead for being Telltale's best game. I also thought it was far superior to the second season of TWD.

Please tell me Tales will be getting sequels.

• edited October 2015

Comparing apples with oranges here i think personally, as they are totally different in tone and character development.

That said id say its easily as good as wds1 as i enjoyed both a lot, definitely my GOTY (though fo4 might knock it off that perch)

• TftB is my #1 Telltale and Borderlands game :)

My ranking:
    TftB > TWAU > TWD > GoT > TWD S2

• Absolutely, because - as much as TWD tugged on the feels - TFTB has made it much more of a rollercoaster. The combination of comedy and drama has been on point, and it has certainly affected me more than TWD did. I think the most important point is that I anticipated each new TFTB episode far more than TWD

• IMO Tales is better than TWD.

• With TWD I was like hey, steam updated. But with TftB I started staring at Steam a few hours earlier just to get to play it as soon as possible.

• It is their best game so far, at least for me. I just love the combination of well written humor and some more serious stuff. I can't even replay TWD because it is pretty depressing and sad.

• You know, if you were to tell me that by the time this series ended that I would like it even more than TWD, I would have called you crazy and that it would be impossible. This series infinitely exceeded my expectations and definitely has become my all time favorite Telltale game, it was such a wild and crazy ride that it brings a tear to my eye knowing that it's over.

• edited October 2015

I love, love TWD, but damn TftBL is not only my #1 TellTale game but Borderland as well.

• edited October 2015

In my opinion it is really better than TWD for several reasons, the general tone, the plot, funnier QTE sequences but above all there's one thing. I absolutely love Lee, I love Clementine, I like Kenny and some other guys but that's it. Instead in Tales I love the entirety of the cast, from the protagonists to the supporting cast, hell it brought me to love a Loader Bot! I mean do you have any idea how many of those I killed in BL2? Now I feel terrible about it. That's something only really good games can achieve, and while I still think TWD is great, I actually think Tales is even better.

• I'm considering this the best Telltale Game number 1. I love the story, a lot of funny moments, very well written etc.

• edited October 2015

It's up there, I would say I like them around the same level. Looking at it non-subjectively, it is impossible to say either one is better because they're too different. It would be like saying Guardians of the Galaxy(Tales) is better than The Dark Knight(TWD); the way the stories are told is too different(comedic vs dramatic/tragedy) to say one is better than the other.

Tales was obviously much funnier but TWD had a lot of nice dark moments and the end was more depressing than any character dieing in tales, especially if you had Clem shoot him(and face the reality of the world) as I did.

• Love em both to death. Too hard to say. This is a good thing.

• I love them both, but I enjoyed playing Tales more :)

• Tales for me is one of my favourite games of all time. It hit every note it needed to for me. With the interactive story genre it is hard to judge what is technically better, so I'm not sure there is a correct answer, especially as they're both so different!

• It is. by far their best. i LOVE TWDG, it is still my favorite, love having clem as a protagonist (again i count S1 & S2 as one, i will too count TWAU S1&2 as one as as the others) and i still liked S2, but TftBL just excelled past TWDG. TWDG just stole my heart, but as far as games that TT has created

1.TFTBL
    2.TWDG
    3.TWAU

• All of Telltale's games are great, but I think Walking Dead Season 1 and Wolf Among us we're my favorite.

But now that I finished Tales, I have to say, I think I found my new favorite.

• better than TWDG season 2??? yes, but better than season 1??? no

• Well TFTB beat all previous games TTG made. Magnum Opus

• edited October 2015

I'm going to say that Tales is just as good as TWD S1 when it comes to enjoyment and characters that I grew to love and appreciate. I might say though that I'm leaning toward Tales a little more considering I'm a bit of a bigger fan of narratives that combine comedy, action, and heartwarming drama in consistent fashion.

• I got almost crucified for DARING dislike the WD. I'll be honest, I disliked it a lot and comparing them two together is downright insulting to the Tales.

• I definitely enjoyed TFTBL more than TWD. Season One of TWD was good, and it had some emotional moments. (The relationship of Clem/Lee was very touching.) That being said overall I liked the characters from TFTBL more than TWD. I found they were much more entertaining and intriguing than those in TWD (either season.) Maybe it's the fact that TFTBL is more of a comedic game, whereas TWD was focused more on drama and action. (And I typically enjoy light-hearted things more.)

But I mean at the end of the day they're all good games.

• God move over Clementine all I care about is Loaderbot + Gortys.

Definitely better

• Hmm.. I felt like it was a great episode, and I definitely had eye filled with tears when Loaderbot, Gortys and Sasha presumably died. Then I felt betrayed when they didn't actually die, I only felt like that was a real cop-out. I really would've liked it better had Sasha died. Not because I don't like Sasha, hell, I gave her the flower when I could, but I think that would've created for a powerful moment that really could've ended the series on an even higher note. Otherwise, I felt like it was imo the best episode Telltale Games has ever done so far, but the entire season simply wasn't as good as TWD in my eyes.

• edited October 2015

I have this thought that people view it better simply because it is recent. We've had time to let TWD S1 and S2 settle for us to be more decisive about it.

Tales From The Borderland is probably easier to understand if you played the other Borderlands games. Though, when I read people saying it is more emotional than TWD. I just can't understand how you could come to that conclusion. The music in this game is awesome but I never felt myself getting invested in any of the characters besides the two robots.

I would be lieing if I didn't say I was pissed off when I got GoT and TFTBL instead of TWAU S2. GoT disappointed me me while TFTBL exceeded expectations. I can say it is one of my favorites but I can't put it over TWD.

• I don't feel like comparing TFTBL and TWD, they are just way too different stories. I've enjoyed Tales more, but I'm a big fan of Borderlands universe itself.

I find both games awesome. Just... different. Tales is dynamic, full of humour, adventure and plot twists, The Walking Dead is full of sadness and fear, and has kinda "static" (sorry if it's not the right word, I'm still not a master of English ;)) plot. But which is better? I think it just depends on the player, not everyone likes the same things.

But I must confess, and I think a lot of people would agree, Tales was really a rollercoaster of emotions, they did amazing work with mixing serious, heartbreaking moments with funny ones and I think it's really, really impressing. The game is very surprising, and when I've been playing TWD I just kinda got used to the depressing atmosphere and though it still was interesting and touching, it didn't give me as much emotions as Tales did.

• As far as the game Ive had the most fun playing, Tales all the way. I needed that change of pace and its been so well done in so many ways. I think every series improves a little on the previous one in different ways and Im looking forward to what comes next.

• Absolutely not. TWD S1 had so much heart and soul radiating from everything from the writing to the art design, it was visually memorable, and it deserved every single one of its awards. TfTBL was fun, but that was all.

• Simple..
    Absolutely

• edited October 2015

Hell Yes and i love this more than TWD(and thats saying something) But overall its easily by far their best title. For me a good chunk of the cast(Rhys, Vaughn, Fiona, Sasha, Loaderbot, August, Gortos-excluding established characters) are just more memorable and likable than any of the characters from telltale. I only really cared about Lee and Clementine in TWD and Bigby in TWAU, everyone could go suck it. Here i cared for so many characters and genuinely wanted to see where the game would take them. Surprisingly we got to see everything come full circle in the finale after a time skip. Look back @ Rhys and the gang at the beginning and then look at them now, spectacular character development and great writing.

A diverse, fun, likable cast that grew through the course of a story that takes place in an already rich, established universe makes this not only the best TT game, but one of the best games ive ever played. GOTY contender right here.

Gearbox has a gem of a franchise and TT just made me love Borderlands more than i though i could. So much potential i cant wait to see what this series has in store for us.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.