So, lets speculate about the end...

Just for remembering: Rhys and Fiona change some last words, smile at each other and open together the last purple-glowing chest. A white flash occurs and both are gone, with only a mist left descending into the air and vanishing.

So, what might have happen?

In the telltale staff AMA it is mentioned that they had something in mind but won't share as they like imagining us scratching our heads^^

I have quite a detailed idea but don't want to start directly with a wall of text. I only want to point out, that you can see a purple cloud rising and disappearing, so there is no time warp occuring.

Comments

• I posted a discussion about the same thing. But anyway, I think Rhys and Fiona were transported to another world. Presumably the home of the vault monsters/guardians, or a different part of Pandora. This could most likely lead onto Borderlands 3. Causing the "war."

• edited October 2015

what if when they opened it they were just teleported to where the entrance was along with all the loot

• They were disintegrated.

• Sorry, haven't noticed it, otherwise I would have joined there.

But never the less, I agree that they were teleported somewhere, but I rather think, its not pandora but rather someplace nearby.
    They already got teleported to whatever place where this final chest lies. So, why should they teleport to pandora, when this is a vault with a special entrance, which has been at a lot of places across the universe?

SmolGui posted: »

I posted a discussion about the same thing. But anyway, I think Rhys and Fiona were transported to another world. Presumably the home of the

• Nice idea but I don't think so. In the other Borderlands games, the vault monsters contained the loot while the vault itself contained a single item.

what if when they opened it they were just teleported to where the entrance was along with all the loot

• Unfortunately, that's possible but I really,really hope that this is not correct.

They were disintegrated.

• Good point.

I feel that them being teleported however could of triggered a chain reaction. Causing more vaults to open simultaneously. Either way, wherever they were teleported it is gonna lead onto Borderlands 3 and a fantastic opening of the next season. (If there is one of course.)

Rattapeng posted: »

Sorry, haven't noticed it, otherwise I would have joined there. But never the less, I agree that they were teleported somewhere, but I ra

• They were teleported to a magical place that will allow them to travel around to get to all the vaults teased at the end of Borderlands 2!

• along with the loot then, that is a bit boring.

what if they get teleported somewhere, but the teleportation system was only designed for one person, so when they are teleported they become a freaky monster like in the film the fly, but instead of being half fly half man, they become a half rhys half fiona mutant where they are both grotesquely merged together and they have two heads but only one butt... the horror, THE HORROR!!! whyyyyyyyy!

Nice idea but I don't think so. In the other Borderlands games, the vault monsters contained the loot while the vault itself contained a single item.

• That would really be a cool idea and also fit to the canon. The guardian at the end of the Pre-Sequel warned of the war one year ahead of the opening of the chest and nothing happened within this year (otherwise I think Athena wouldn't spend time selling snacks)

SmolGui posted: »

Good point. I feel that them being teleported however could of triggered a chain reaction. Causing more vaults to open simultaneously. Ei

• I think you have spent to much time in the weird end of youtube^^

.... and I don't think so as they already entered the vault without having to share one butt afterwards :D

along with the loot then, that is a bit boring. what if they get teleported somewhere, but the teleportation system was only designed for

• Who knows where they are, but I still really think they did it so gearbox doesnt need to choose what's cannon or not

• Maybe, so far one of the riches of the vault was always information and in case of the Pre-Sequel it allowed Handsome Jack to control the warrior in the vault of Borderlands 2.

Jake360 posted: »

They were teleported to a magical place that will allow them to travel around to get to all the vaults teased at the end of Borderlands 2!

• Well in the AMA they stated, that they offered Gearbox to use the characters and the end of TftB but I think years will pass before we will know if they use it.

Poogers555 posted: »

Who knows where they are, but I still really think they did it so gearbox doesnt need to choose what's cannon or not

• Damn Kenny. What a depressing theory hahaha

They were disintegrated.

• They were probably sent to a new vualt .think of the vault of the traveler to be the fast travel station of vaults . So what if in the intro for borderlands 3 you see ryhse and Fiona fight vault guardians when 2 new vault hunters come and save them with a badass song in the background. And ends with them heading to sanctuary.

• Honestly? I think the flash was the Vault of the Traveler teleporting again to a different place in the universe, and leaving Rhys and Fiona behind on Pandora with the rest of the group. Not very exciting but, y'know, everything's happy in the end. Nothing wrong with that.

• Yeah that would be kind of a downer, but honestly I'm just glad our main group made it through the journey alive.

Rock114 posted: »

Honestly? I think the flash was the Vault of the Traveler teleporting again to a different place in the universe, and leaving Rhys and Fiona

• Hmm, this might be possible but I don't think the vault itself travelled but rather the entrance. At least I wouldn't know why there is an entrance teleport if the vault was also transferred along with it.

Rock114 posted: »

Honestly? I think the flash was the Vault of the Traveler teleporting again to a different place in the universe, and leaving Rhys and Fiona

• Haha, I'm most sure there will be a Badass song along with whatever scene that will show up^^

E-knight posted: »

They were probably sent to a new vualt .think of the vault of the traveler to be the fast travel station of vaults . So what if in the intro

• I believe (since the white flash happened) that the vault teleported, but Rhys and Fiona didn't. The particles left behind were floating upwards because the entities suddenly were removed from the area. Basically what Rock114 said. Maybe comical relief would kick in when Rhys and Fiona fall out of mid air level with where they were before the vault teleported. Gortys did say she had to hold it in place, right? And she wasn't there.

"The Vault of the Traveler teleports all over the universe, only staying in one place for a few minutes. My next upgrade, the beacon, summons it and then I hold it in place. So you get to collect treasure." something like that

• From all the dialogue before hand, I'm terrified they're dead. After all Fiona as good as said all vault hunters end up dead...

Just.... I'm no good with ambivalent endings. I blame that on the movie "Plague Dogs" seriously, read up or watch the ending of that. I think this messed with my head more.

I just want them to survive and be happy. That's not too much to ask, is it? :-/

• It's true, Gortys went out of her chassis but it still remained, so the beacon is also still there. Never the less it might have been deactivated as Gortys jumped out.

bigdogg0821 posted: »

I believe (since the white flash happened) that the vault teleported, but Rhys and Fiona didn't. The particles left behind were floating upw

• I would really hope they wouldn't just kill them off in the end like that lol. Would be such a shitty ending that way :-\

ALIENANGIE posted: »

From all the dialogue before hand, I'm terrified they're dead. After all Fiona as good as said all vault hunters end up dead... Just....

• I think you worry to much.

Here some Quote from NickTTG

I'll be the worst and have my first answer be bs. While we totally know what happened to them, it would be no fun to give it all away. We'd like to leave it open for interpretation and if we're so lucky that Gearbox ends up picking up some of our storylines, fill in some of the blanks then.

NotSacaren

Gearbox is free to use our characters and stories in their future games (and I hope I see them there!)

I don't think they would hope Gearbox to pick up some of the storylines if Rhys and Fiona would be simply dead.... but still possible...

ALIENANGIE posted: »

From all the dialogue before hand, I'm terrified they're dead. After all Fiona as good as said all vault hunters end up dead... Just....

• Would be a great lead in for season 2, Fiona and Rhys get teleported away and Vaughn and Sasha have to find them. With the story jumping back and forth between the two groups. I just hope season 2 can have the original crew but also stand up on its own, be a continuation of the story but with a different narrative style and all that stuff. Be its own thing, not just be there for the sake of more of the Tales crew. Anyway....getting off topic. I do not think it would be as interesting if they were just popped out by the vault back to where they were, at least not without them going somewhere else or finding out about another vault or this "war" that is coming.

• It's the vault of the traveler so I'm almost certain they teleported, to where? You're guess is as good as mine.

• At least so far most people who contributed are sure that they have been teleported.^^

But I am wondering about what might they have got. This vault was better protected than all former vaults although it contained only one chest.

enter image description here

In comparison, in Borderlands The Pre-Sequel they found just one item, which gave Jack in the short time before it was destroyed enough information to control the vault monster of Borderlands 2 and a way to open the vault without waiting 200 years.

enter image description here

In Borderlands 2 its greatest treasure was a map with vault positions across different planets. And as said before, both vaults were less protected as they were stationary.

• Definitely teleported. Seems to be the whole theme of the Vault of the Traveler.

All I know is, I am getting veeeery suspicious of the Eridians.

• I think they were teleported to another place, where is the interesting question.

• Yes, something took Fione and Rhys with it. You haven't seen them trying to pick something up but after the white flash it's also gone and the chest is empty.

KuroUsaHime posted: »

Definitely teleported. Seems to be the whole theme of the Vault of the Traveler. All I know is, I am getting veeeery suspicious of the Eridians.

• I don't like that reply...that's basically confirming that they will not do another season with Rhys and Fiona...damn

I think you worry to much. Here some Quote from NickTTG I'll be the worst and have my first answer be bs. While we totally know wha

Sign in to comment in this discussion.