The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• edited April 2022

I probably know what you're gonna say, but is The Somnium Files good?
    Actually, the better question is, does it hold a candle to Zero Escape (at least 999, that I've played) in terms of writing/voice-acting/mystery?

I already own the Zero Escape stuff, so picking up a nice game at around 10$ sounds cool

dojo32161 posted: »

Hot damn this is a good deal, and you can get AI: The Somnium Files in a bundle with the Zero Escape trilogy for very cheap. https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/1519730666904035329

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
    edited April 2022

It's very good, I wouldn't say it's as good as 999 (that's one of my top favorites), but the characters are really endearing and the mystery is very fun and the kind of twist Uchikoshi likes to play with. It has a second game coming in June and it's looking like it's gonna go even harder.

AChicken posted: »

I probably know what you're gonna say, but is The Somnium Files good? Actually, the better question is, does it hold a candle to Zero Esca

• edited April 2022

Netflix really do be torpedoing their animation division. A few more of their animated shows have been cancelled with a bunch of teams being fired.

Stares warily at Dragon Prince

• From what I’m gathering, The Dragon Prince is relatively safe. While he doesn’t work for Wondersrorm, someone from Brotherwise Games, which worked with Wonderstorm for The Dragon Prince tabletop game, made it clear that getting Netflix’s guarantee for the remainder of the series was one of Wonderstorm’s biggest points during negotiations. The original thread can be found here

lupinb0y posted: »

Netflix really do be torpedoing their animation division. A few more of their animated shows have been cancelled with a bunch of teams being fired. Stares warily at Dragon Prince

• Nice, at least that's safe.

From what I’m gathering, The Dragon Prince is relatively safe. While he doesn’t work for Wondersrorm, someone from Brotherwise Games, which

• These are the games that I spent most hours in. And sadly, the most played game is not what I thought it would be.

• Finally got the chance to see 3 thrash metal giants (Death Angel, Exodus, and Testament) last night from a rescheduled show because of fucking Covid. Got to say, it’s really good to be able to go back to concerts and be able to have fun again.

But dude, my body hurts like hell. I’ve been in pits before, nothing like this however. I guess I should have expected songs like The Toxic Waltz and Into The Pit to have some hard hitting moshing. Going to have bruises on several parts of my body for the next few days. Doesn’t matter, it was a blast, and I finally got to be in a wall of death.

• So I finished The Evil Within, finally. And...I felt completely underwhelmed. I haven't been this disappointed over a horror game since The Last of Us Part 2 and Resident Evil Revelations.

The Evil Within had such great ideas that were ruined by horrible execution. It also didn't help how long this game was. My runtime for it was 15 hours long. The story didn't do anything to keep me invested, the characters were so bland, the boss fights were frustrating, the puzzles were painfully easy and there are so many levels which had no reason to exist other than increasing the length. Also also, instead of giving us something new and fresh, Shinji Mikami just kept winking at us with his Resident Evil references. The only positive thing I have is the atmosphere, it gave me some good scares and.....shit, I guess that's it.

I am kind of afraid going into The Evil Within 2 because I don't want play another long game right now.

• I've been watching a lot of LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga clips lately. Game looks fun, I used to love the LEGO games back when I was younger. These games have a charm that doesn't easily wear off, you know? Interested in getting it, but I'm not sure. I haven't been playing video games as much lately, and still got a backlog I must fill.

• Tomb raider and deus ex are probably best in the hands of another company if i'm being honest at least they're keeping life is strange.

https://www.vg247.com/square-enix-just-cause-life-is-strange-outriders

• It could also mean they will finally finish the Deus Ex prequel trilogy.

iFoRias posted: »

Tomb raider and deus ex are probably best in the hands of another company if i'm being honest at least they're keeping life is strange.

• Man, I dunno if it's just me but The Evil Within games just do not win over. I love horror gaming and I am trying to like as many things as possible but The Evil Within is more like Bethesda's piss poor attempt of making a Resident Evil game. I tried to get into The Evil Within 2 after finishing the first one which I thought was mediocre but after one hour, I lost interest. I find those games completely overrated.

• @lupinb0y Looks like it is safe after all. Despite what I thought would be a 2023 release, looks like The Dragon Prince is slated to return in 2022. Though no new footage was shown, it was announced in a press release and featured in this video.

• Nice! Yeah I also expected a 2023 release at the earliest, but nice to know it's coming a little sooner.

@lupinb0y Looks like it is safe after all. Despite what I thought would be a 2023 release, looks like The Dragon Prince is slated to return in 2022. Though no new footage was shown, it was announced in a press release and featured in this video.

• Finally, a biopic about a musician that I actually want to see.

• I finished The Evil Within 2 as well recently and I did it on easy mode, not because it was too hard but because the game felt a little bit unpolished and the gunplay wasn't improved, so it didn't feel like it was worth the challenge.

This one was actually okay. The characters actually acted like real people, it's not as repetitive as the first game and it has some story moments that I liked. However, it's not perfect and in some ways, it feels worse than the first game. As much as I disliked the first game, it did have a great atmosphere and gave me more scares than the sequel. They toned it down too much in the second game and I don't understand why they turned it into a semi-open world. It made no sense to do that since it goes linear again in the second half. It also felt like this game was made for the mainstream audience. It felt like I was playing an action-adventure game rather than a horror game.

Overall, I finally finished this franchise and unfortunately, I don't think this IP is close to being a great horror franchise like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Dead Space etc. The first game is MEDIOCRE and the second game is just fine. I could care less if they are gonna make The Evil Within 3 or not. In fact, they shouldn't because the second game ended on a good note but no, they had to sequel-bait it for no reason but cash.

• edited May 2022

Okay, middle of Centaurworld Season 2 here.
    I'm getting more confused about Centaurworld's TV-Y7 rating. That implies appropriateness for children's television, and I swear I've heard (and seen subtitled) two uses of the word Crap so far in S2. One of which calls a character a crap-head.

What the heck is up with the rating system? I know violence is a bit lenient in the US, but sexual and vulgar content are treated very strictly.

• wakes up

"Haha wow what a crazy dream that was!"

Remembers Gearbox Tales from the Borderlands wasn't a dream

• I dont know that "crap" is considered vulgar, even for a 7 year old. But then again US ratings always baffles me so maybe I'm wrong.

AChicken posted: »

Okay, middle of Centaurworld Season 2 here. I'm getting more confused about Centaurworld's TV-Y7 rating. That implies appropriateness for

• I've watched many a kid's show, and I've never heard any words that could be considered vulgar, maybe past a "Damn".

But there it is. Two "Crap"s so far in Season 2, and the rating is for children. I'm not against it. I like how cutting and mature some of the stuff in Centaurworld can get, I'm just very interested in what went behind that. It definitely isn't normal in my experience.

captainivy1 posted: »

I dont know that "crap" is considered vulgar, even for a 7 year old. But then again US ratings always baffles me so maybe I'm wrong.

• edited May 2022

Geoff Keighley has announced a partnership with IMAX. You'll be able to catch the livestream of the Summer Games Fest and Game Awards this year in a movie theater.

I remember Playstation used to do that when they had an E3 showcase, and it was fun. I went to about 2 of them, one of which first debuted Insomniac's Spider-Man. That was cool.
    Hopefully Canada Keighley here can bring some of that to the Northern part of North America.

also, I just remembered -- it might be likely we see the reveal of TFTB2 either at SGF or in Gamescom in August. That's summer-ish, and I'm sure Keighley wants his mitts on that big reveal.

• So THE BATMAN was really freakin good

Also long. Very long. It is also very late. I am also very tired. Will probably post thoughts later.

• edited May 2022

I'mma replay Tales from the Borderlands right now since I got a PS5 and I bought the game recently on a discount this year. I hope it holds up.

• I'mma replay Tales from the Borderlands right now

Nice! Still the second best Telltale game ever. The Wolf Among us is my favorite to this day. Can't wait for the Season 2 of that game to come out soon.

Still the new Tales from the Borderlands (Gearbox of course) isn't something i am hyped over. I don't think I will but,still need to see some sort of trailer and characters and gameplay.

AronDracula posted: »

I'mma replay Tales from the Borderlands right now since I got a PS5 and I bought the game recently on a discount this year. I hope it holds up.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Huh... I might actually be interested in a Digimon game.

• A few months ago I rewatched some of the episodes on YouTube and man, I forgot how freaking funny the game is. Hope it holds up for you.

• Question: At what point did people start to agree that The Walking Dead TV Show stopped being good?

• Season 7

DabigRG posted: »

Question: At what point did people start to agree that The Walking Dead TV Show stopped being good?

• I'd say Season 6 was where it started to fall apart. It was kind of weird because it would have a streak of great episodes, followed immediately by a streak of weak and poor episodes. It definitely felt as though there were a few jump the shark moments, one in particular at the very end of the season that left casual fans and comic fans infuriated. The show always had a tendency to drag on for far too long to build anticipation and suspense, but this season was hugely egregious in that.

DabigRG posted: »

Question: At what point did people start to agree that The Walking Dead TV Show stopped being good?

• Dang. I guessed correctly tgen, but that's still pretty far.

Then again, these seasons don't seem to be the full length other shows operate by, so maybe it actually lines up to the average.

Season 7

• Been almost a year since I've been on these forums. Feels weird.

• Welcome back, long time no see. And I must say, now that I finally got a chance to play Mass Effect, I love your profile pic. Tali'Zorah vas Normandy is best girl.

ralo229 posted: »

Been almost a year since I've been on these forums. Feels weird.

• edited May 2022

For Free Comic Book Day here in the US, it looks like Skybound released part of the Clementine: Book One graphic novel for people to pick up and read. Haven't seen much in terms of content, but it does feature a Q&A with Tillie Walden. Needless to say, it does nothing to give me confidence in her. I'm not sure if this is the whole Q&A or just a one page snippet, but this is what I found. I'll post the whole picture for you to read and come to your own conclusions, but here were a few select quotes that I find quite telling.

I was excited by the prospect of entering the world of The Walking Dead mostly because it felt SO different from all the other work I've done. All my past books have been loosely autobiographical, pretty quiet, pretty sensitive.

And of course in the process of working with Clementine's character to make these books, I've found so many connections between her story, the apocalypse, and my own life.

What I do have going for me, however, is that my wife and I live in the woods in a rural part of Vermont.

The reason I picked these quotes is because you see a sort of pattern here. Clem's destination in this series is Vermont, the author tends to write stories that relate to her own life, she somehow found a connection between Clem's apocalyptic character journey and her own life. It just feels as though she's writing an apocalypse story FOR her, and in doing so, she's just using Clem's character as a vessel for herself. It's why you have Clem completely reversing on key aspects of her character. Her protective and motherly nature towards AJ, being alongside friends and people she cares about, finally having a place to call home, it's gone because that's not what Tillie relates to. She had to do this so she could tell her story, and rather than make an original character to tell it through, she's using an established and beloved character with Clem. And if she has to retcon the undesirable aspects of Clem's character to do so, so be it.

I'm not going to get involved in the whole "Tillie has a self-insert character who looks exactly like her and is going to be Clem's girlfriend" theory (though again, not doing any favors with referring to said character in Q&A and saying how much like her you are) because I think it's a stretch. But look, I can handle Gearbox ruining Rhys and Vaughn. I expected it to happen because Gearbox writers had nothing on Telltale. But this is a level I cannot accept. She just comes off as egotistical and a bit self-righteous here.

• So I finished Tales from the Borderlands for the first time in 6 YEARS!!! Man do I feel old. I was a little bit afraid it wouldn't hold up well as it did in 2015 but fortunately, this game is just as good as I remember.

In my opinion, this is Telltale's best game and this is coming from someone who isn't really into the Borderlands franchise. I tried to play Borderlands 2 but got burned out and gave up. I'll be honest, back in 2014-2015, this game didn't actually win my attention until they released Episode 3 which was the chapter that shined Telltale's skill of storytelling. The characters are likable, the humor is on point and the music is just "chef's kiss". And yeah, I still ship Rysha, coming from a non-shipping type.

Just this menu theme reminded me of the times when a lot of big game studios cared about making video games instead of relying on microtransactions, DLCs, greediness, subverting expectations, live service, unfinished projects etc.

(I teared up a little bit while writing this)

No matter how much I love this game, it doesn't do enough for me to check out the other Borderlands games, especially Borderlands 3 because I do not want to support Randy Bitchford and his moronic decisions and I lost interest in FPS games that aren't horror. Hell, I heard nothing but bad things about the story in Borderlands 3, with the inclusion of Tales characters. I'm not even excited for Tales from the Borderlands Season 2 because without the Telltale writers, it's gonna be dead on arrival.

Overall, I am glad I was in the mood to replay this game again and I will say this. This game is the very last masterpiece Telltale has ever created because after this one, Telltale did nothing but make games that were either ok, unnecessary or just plain bad.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited May 2022

Not to be that "erm, ackchyually" kinda guy, but we do know that writers using personal experiences as reference for what they write is actually very much common right?

Sean Vanaman came up with the whole premise/story for Season 1 with a similar mindset:
    https://www.gamesradar.com/sean-vanaman-walking-dead-firewatch-interview/

OXM: The relationship between Lee and Clem is right at the heart of The Walking Dead. What did you draw upon when writing that?

SV: At that time I was thinking a lot about having kids and what that meant, and things like my relationship with my sister... I’ve always been in a role in my life [where I’ve had] to take care of people around me, generally, that’s something that just seems to happen. So I drew on all those things and also thought, ‘Okay, if an eight-year-old girl showed up on my doorstep, what would that be like for me?’ And then what would it be like plot-wise? What’s the sort of s**t that I wish I could say to her, and what would I probably be incapable of saying to her? With Lee, I just knew who this character was so fully and what his capabilities would be in those situations, and then I started writing.

Not only that, but Season 1 also had instances of "self insert" characters as well. Doug from Season 1 was actually one of the old school Telltale web team guys, but despite him being portrayed in the game as kind of geeky and nerdy, they wrote lines in episode 1 where Carley calls him "kind of cute" and she is hinted as having a crush on him.

There are other "self insert" easter eggs too, like Lee Everett having a last name and other traits that were inspired by a college professor that Vanaman had.

The Clem comic definitely has its flaws, but the fact that a writer is using personal experiences/etc. to direct how they write a story is not the strongest area to go looking for criticisms.

P.S.: In that exact same Q&A answer where other people elsewhere online are focusing on Tillie talking about her glasses being used as inspiration for one of the Clem comic's side characters, she also talks about her wife. Since Tillie Walden is a married adult woman, I can't imagine why she would fancy having a "self insert" character that is romantically involved with Clem.

• I still think the best way to approach the new comics is honestly to just ignore it. Its a different form of media, it isn't like it is a new game where it becomes a lot harder to ignore it. I also wouldn't really want to judge it too hard when it isn't out. Yes I know those preview panels have been kind of not great, but still I'd want to judge it after full release as it isn't like we have a full track history of quality unlike say Borderlands and Gearbox.

Also something I just thought of was, if Telltale never shutdown, a Tales 2 by Telltale probably would've happened. It seems Gearbox's Tales was approved in early 2020 if I had to guess and if Telltale didn't go under like they did I don't see why they wouldn't have reached out. We live in a weird timeline.

• edited May 2022

I understand that, but one can make the argument that when Vanaman was making it, Clem and Lee were original characters of his/Telltale’s own creation. Thus, they have the ability and more freedom to do with that, and them, what they want. While the game would take on more and different writers, Clem’s character and her arc still felt consistent within the limits set by the previous entries and writers for the most part. The challenge is that Clem is now an established character, and Tillie is rewriting her to tell her story with it. If this was an original character of her own design, no one would bat an eye if this is the direction she wanted to go with. But she’s not, she is using that established character, one with an arc and a journey that was settled. When you take on the writing duties of a pre-existing character, you have a responsibility and expectation to treat them with respect, and I believe that is not being done here. In telling her story, not Clem’s story, she has done away with certain elements of her character to fit more in line with what she wants to do. If she kept those components, Clem would never have done what she did, and Tillie’s desire to use her to tell her story was greater than wanting to treat Clem with dignity. That is ultimately the point I’m trying to make, if that’s not how it came off then that’s my bad.

I wouldn’t use a character like Bigby as the center piece of a personal story that would prompt him to abandon Fabletown and Snow White to pursue a business degree, that would spit in the face of his character, it’s not something we would associate with them. Even when Telltale took on writing for Bigby to make The Wolf Among Us, they needed to stay faithful to the character from the comics that Willingham created, and they were able to do that, while expanding on his character and giving him a compelling storyline and arc. It’s why we’re mad at Gearbox for doing what they did with Rhys and Vaughn. They took Telltale’s characters and failed to treat them with respect, and as a result, the writing surrounding them was weak and their characters regressed.

Not to be that "erm, ackchyually" kinda guy, but we do know that writers using personal experiences as reference for what they write is actu

• Fml I forgot to go to Free Comic Day

• Tali'Zorah vas Normandy is best girl.

Yes! Best girl and best romance ever. Loved her character in the Mass Effect trilogy remastered

Welcome back, long time no see. And I must say, now that I finally got a chance to play Mass Effect, I love your profile pic. Tali'Zorah vas Normandy is best girl.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.