Was This The First Game Ever With Beta Male Protagonists?

2»

Comments

• plenty of adventure games have "beta males" eg: tales from monkey island: guybrush threepwood, day of the tentacle: Bernard Bernoulli, discworld: Rincewind, simon the sorcerer: simon, back to the future: Marty McFly, Broken age:Shay and broken sword: george stobbart, are just a few i can think of now, and that is just adventure games, it is actually pretty common for male character to be "beta" unless killing people endlessly is what the game is about.

• enter image description here

You spelled Fiona wrong.

• edited November 2015

Just let the thread die people...Just let it die...

• In this context it means what OP wrote - weak and submissive.

Nevermind the fact that in real life if we're talking about the animals the betas are second in command, and not nearly are the weaklings since only the leaders (or alhpas) are higher in the hierarchy, for OP's to know and what he described would be omegas. But that's beside the point.

What does "beta" mean in this context? I'm a bit confused.

• Lucas from Mother 3. Isaac from The Binding of Isaac. Marty McFly. Luigi. Daxter from Jak and Daxter. Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney.

Cowardly male protagonists being pushed around by confident females is also a pretty common trope in anime games, but I don't play those kinds of games very often.

bogey_j posted: »

what other game has beta male protagonists?

• Having a male character be beta is a common amongst RPGs because it gives a character that can have easy character development and relatability.

name a game then

• Yeah, I'd say everyone who isn't a leader of a group in a game is beta.

MrShadow posted: »

Having a male character be beta is a common amongst RPGs because it gives a character that can have easy character development and relatability.

• Agreed

DoubleJump posted: »

I felt both protagonists were quite equal in their own special way. They both have moments of weakness, but also triumphs that stood out way

• Not gonna happen. >{ Rhys X Zer0 4 LYF

ActionHank posted: »

I barely even cared about this. Once I noticed the dudes were weak and the girls were tuff, I was like "huh". And moved on. EDIT: That being said, if Rhys X Axton happens, you bet your ass Rhys is going submissive.

• enter image description here

Everchanger posted: »

Just let the thread die people...Just let it die...

• Not like TWD and various other series happened.

Also, why does the women or men have to be weak or strong?

• Because the characters need a personality?

Not like TWD and various other series happened. Also, why does the women or men have to be weak or strong?

• edited November 2015

Because a lot of people feel that the simplified gender relationships between inconsistent, implausible and inauthentic fictional characters both reflect and affect far more complicated issues between real men and real women in the real world. And those people can be pretty scary.

Not like TWD and various other series happened. Also, why does the women or men have to be weak or strong?

• In Resident Evil 1 Jill, In Resident Evil 3 Jill, in Code Veronica Claire, In RE Revelations Jill, in Revelations 2 Claire, Lara in the Tomb Raider games, Juliet in Lollipop Chainsaw, Bayonetta in Bayonetta, Joanna in Perfect Dark Zero, Aya and Saki in Onechanbara, Ayumi in Blades of Time, Hana in Fear Effect, Aya Brea in Parasite Eve, etc. etc....

name a game then

• Those people might be right, though. If you seriously think the cultural enviroment of the author cannot have an influence on the characters he creates you are just wrong. So, the relationships between fictional characters are probably not going to affect anything in the real world but they sure as hell can be a reflection of it.

Off_Ground posted: »

Because a lot of people feel that the simplified gender relationships between inconsistent, implausible and inauthentic fictional characters

• edited November 2015

Oh I'm saying nothing of the sort, just that people who look everywhere for implications they don't like without thinking about either the actual influences involved or the actual real-world facts of the issues they're so offended about and then try to bully the creative industry into conforming to their lazy half-assed philosophies are something to be considered in discussions like this.

Jewinzius posted: »

Those people might be right, though. If you seriously think the cultural enviroment of the author cannot have an influence on the characters

Sign in to comment in this discussion.