Why Are People So Obsessed With Romance In Games?

2»

Comments

• Oh god. Why did i look that up.

I don't think anyone who plays this game takes it all that seriously sips tea and looks at the rhyiona thread

• Bro you forgot the one true ship, Rhysquez.

DDbaby74 posted: »

Woah! Buddy woah! You mean to tell me that you did not play this game waiting with baited breath to see who was gonna end up boning Rhys????

• shipping is quite fun it gives purpose for love interests mass effect kinda happened to be the first actual shipping i did

• My God you're right? How could I be such a fool... jumps into the ocean of despair

Bro you forgot the one true ship, Rhysquez.

• edited November 2015

Same here shiping is fun.
    Edit(I have no idea why it says its a spoiler.)Share Gif: http://media2.giphy.com/media/BX17E98mJ45TG/200w.gif

shipping is quite fun it gives purpose for love interests mass effect kinda happened to be the first actual shipping i did

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited November 2015

is like yelling at a tidal wave to turn around. It's futile, so run.

Says you

I'm going to go test this right now

edit: it didn't work

Courtenay posted: »

I don't get it either, but trying to stop shipping is like yelling at a tidal wave to turn around. It's futile, so run.

• points for enthusiasm

points for enthusiasm

Deltino posted: »

is like yelling at a tidal wave to turn around. It's futile, so run. Says you I'm going to go test this right now edit: it didn't work

• edited November 2015

Wow, another thread that's about shipping. Guys, I think I have collected enough $ to make season 2.

On a serious note, romance and love are important parts of our lives so I don't know why it being present in a video game is bothering anyone that much. It's like saying "Why are people so obsessed with friendships in games?". It is all completely fine and normal, until you cross a line...and do weird stuff about it.

• edited November 2015

Wow, another thread that's about shipping. Guys, I think I have collected enough $ to make season 2.

Let's recap and bring back some threads from the old days

• No more Rhysha? (a.k.a the one true ship, Louisha)
    • When will Rhys and Fiona
    • I can't remember the name of this thread but it was a very gross rhyiona fanfiction thread
    • Unused audio which almost confirmed rhyiona
    • Official Athena x Fiona thread
    • Rhys x Handsome Jack, the one true ship
    • Rhys x Handsome Jack, is this the true ship?
    • Rhys x Sasha or Sasha x Rhys? (poll)
    • Rhoaderbot
    • The trash thread a.k.a is the rhys getting that puss tonight
    • August x Vasquez
    • August/Vasquez
    • It's only fair Fiona get's an interest in s2
    • Rhys and Fiona or Sasha and Rhys?
    • Augsha
    • Augiona
    • For the one true ship (another rhysha thread)
    • So who did you ship Rhys with?

tbh i'm just annoyed that there isn't a Vaugust thread or a Janey x Sasha thread yet.

MarijaaNo7 posted: »

Wow, another thread that's about shipping. Guys, I think I have collected enough $ to make season 2. On a serious note, romance and love

• I think shipping in a game mostly means "what two characters would I like to see additional cut-scenes of?"

I think shipping being all over the map for this game is a mark of good characterization: nearly any pairing in the game results in fun dialogue I'd like to trigger more of.

• The trash thread

enter image description here

lottii-lu posted: »

Wow, another thread that's about shipping. Guys, I think I have collected enough $ to make season 2. Let's recap and bring back some

• edited November 2015

I don't think people are 'obsessed'. I think if you can see chemistry between two characters it's just natural to want to see them together and see how the relationship will develop. It's just fun on these forums to chat to people who feel the same, brah.

I was only introduced to the word 'shipping', like a year ago. But it is now part of my daily vocabulary. Feels so right shouting 'I SHIP IT' at everything. Telly, movies, games, people in my life.

• edited November 2015

You're asking a very vague question, but it's kind of interesting. People aren't obsessed with romance in video games in particular, we're obsessed with romance and sexuality to varying degrees as a basic fact of human nature. It's just that until relatively recently video games were mostly marketed towards... children. And even before that, "video games" were big machines for kids to play with at the local arcade. Not a great place to introduce sauciness.

In the last twenty years video games have become ten times more private via home-owned computers and consoles, and a million times more advanced, and as part of that they've started to cover a wide variety of demographics including more mature ones. And since romance and sexuality is something pretty much everybody has in common on some level, including it in games to attract more costumers as well as to further satisfy the existing ones has become a thing.

Now, roleplaying games by their nature allow players to enjoy romantic content on a more personal level than any other kind of entertainment, a fact which nearly everybody appreciates about the genre for the aforementioned reasons, meaning that most roleplaying games out there include romance of some kind to capitalize on this. So it's not so much that people are obsessed with romance in video games as that certain types of video games are very well suited as romantic outlets. Tales of the Borderlands is a roleplaying game at its core, and even if it doesn't go overboard with romance it still has it and less is sometimes more.

So yes, you could make a video game about people just hanging out without a shred of romance and it has been done, and even most roleplaying games with strong romantic components allow you to ignore any and all romantic options if they aren't to your tastes, but overall roleplaying games have romance as part of their attraction and so they tend to attract people who enjoy romance in their video games.

And no, personally I don't think it's possible for heterosexual men and women to just be friends without sexuality ever becoming a minor issue to somebody, but it's pretty hard to argue about and impossible to prove one way or the other. It's also only tangentially relevant to your main question.

• edited November 2015

Rhys getting that puss tonight

Oh I remember that thread, I was the first to influence Rhyiona in it :^)

I really like that "Official Athena x Fiona thread" tho

Wow, another thread that's about shipping. Guys, I think I have collected enough $ to make season 2. Let's recap and bring back some

• Brilliant explanation, well written!

One thing though:

And no, personally I don't think it's possible for heterosexual men and women to just be friends without sexuality ever becoming a minor issue to somebody, but it's pretty hard to argue about and impossible to prove one way or the other. It's also only tangentially relevant to your main question.

I think it is possible to like someone's personality without being attracted to them at all, but I would at least agree that it's uncommon. Regarding the characters in question, I think they were designed to be somewhat attractive, so it would be more natural than not to assume they are at least a little bit attracted to each other as well.

Off_Ground posted: »

You're asking a very vague question, but it's kind of interesting. People aren't obsessed with romance in video games in particular, we're o

• what was you thinking when necro bumping that thread?

Duck_Hunt posted: »

The trash thread

• the fiona x athena thread made me laugh, "looking by this screenshot of fiona and athena standing next to each other it is clear they are going to hook up"

but now i just want a sasha x janey ship thread lmao

Rhys getting that puss tonight Oh I remember that thread, I was the first to influence Rhyiona in it :^) I really like that "Official Athena x Fiona thread" tho

• edited November 2015

I agree that was pretty stupid but Athena x Fiona doesn't look half bad imo, too bad it ain't/wasn't gonna happen anyways.

That reminds me when Eryka created that Clee thread.....

the fiona x athena thread made me laugh, "looking by this screenshot of fiona and athena standing next to each other it is clear they are going to hook up" but now i just want a sasha x janey ship thread lmao

• I think it's more of a "Fulfillment of Needs" kind of thing that gamers have. If you're a gamer like me, You long for 3 things in a game, (or TV series and book too if you wanna get technical), 1: An amazing story that isn't the number one thing that's focused on in the game. 2: Awesome gameplay with some beautiful visuals. And 3: Having every single character end their experience in the happiest possible way. And for most people, including me, the happiest possible way means everybody has a match, a partner to remember the events of the story with. And that's why I always strive so hard for the good ending in every game I play. Because it almost always ends with each character having a match, and being happy.

Take Dishonored's best ending for example. It ends with Emily and Corvo finally being the rulers, and the kingdom living in peace once again. Collista reunites with her Uncle, Samuel survives, a few people have a match made, Corvo dies a happy death as an old man. Bam. Game over, thanks for playing, hope you had fun wasting 80 hours of your life trying to get this ending. But that's not all, it's because of an ending like that, That makes the player so happy. Seeing the characters they've tried so hard to protect and help all have the best possible life and happiness laid out for them is amazing. And people want that in every video game. That's why Rhysha and Rhyiona are a thing, because The player not only wants to see his/her favorite characters survive and be happy, but they want someone, anyone, to get together at the very end, fall in love, Etc.

And the same can be said for Silent Hill's "Good +" ending. Micheal gets what he deserves, Lisa becomes a guardian or some shit, Harry and Cybil escape with Heather and most likely fall in love, yadda yadda yadda. That ending makes you feel happiness. It makes you feel like every time consuming, Soul Destroying, ABSOLUTELY NERVE WRECKING THINGS (LOOKING AT YOU, HOLY WATER) that you did for your cast of main heroes was worth the effort. Meanwhile, the Bad + ending leaves you with a bitter taste, it makes you sad, no one is happy, everyone dies, and it fucking sucks. Your struggles were in vain, all of them. And that's just not cool.

In conclusion, It's not obsession, it's just the longing to see that your hard work and emotional investment in the characters don't go in vain.

• It was a beautiful thread

RIP

what was you thinking when necro bumping that thread?

• maybe i wanted to get it closed....

JK PLEASE DONT KILL ME IM SORRY

what was you thinking when necro bumping that thread?

• Damn, I've never seen a spoiler tag with this much words lol

• edited November 2015

Hola

Damn, I've never seen a spoiler tag with this much words lol

• I've just dealt with some assholes in the past who got pissed at me for no reason about spoilers for something that came out years ago. I wanted to get my point across.

Damn, I've never seen a spoiler tag with this much words lol

• edited November 2015

Thanks a lot, it did cost me a bit of my afternoon game-time.

Like I said, it's hard to argue about. People perceive their own sexuality and the nature of romance in a multitude of ways and it's impossible to know how much of your own experience is mental baggage and how much is delicate biochemistry that might or might not be applicable to any or every other person. Not to mention that it can be a bit of a minefield in conversation.

My own experience is that male sexuality is impossible to detach entirely from any kind of relationship with a woman, right down to simple token acceptance of the woman in question as another sexual being and vaguely hypothetical partner given increasingly desperate and unlikely circumstances, regardless of personal like or dislike. To look at a woman and never even subconsciously consider how her sexuality relates to yours is to basically turn her into a different species in my mind. But that's just my own experience, and I'm just thinking aloud here, not arguing against you or ranting.

And yeah, Rhys, Sasha and Fiona are all noted and implied to be attractive at various points in the game, and even attractive people naturally find attractive people attractive. (I'd put some kind of cheeky smiley here if I knew how.)

Navoc posted: »

Brilliant explanation, well written! One thing though: And no, personally I don't think it's possible for heterosexual men and wome

• It's reasonable, I get it. :)

I've just dealt with some assholes in the past who got pissed at me for no reason about spoilers for something that came out years ago. I wanted to get my point across.

• Could it not be as simple as some people liking romance?

• Thanks.

It's reasonable, I get it.

• I know, in my personal experience, at least as a woman I have found friendships with heterosexual men are possible without sexuality becoming an issue. However, I preface this by saying I have found it possible when both I and the man are in our own respective relationships. I've tried befriending single men and as soon as they discover I'm unavailable, almost always I never hear from then again. So there's definitely merit there, and I wish that wasn't the case.

I guess that's why I prefer Rhyiona as friends. While I ship Rhys and Sasha because it was very apparent to me that they always had a romantic intent, I liked the idea that Rhys and Fiona could create a strong bond as friends because that's something, as a man and woman pair, I don't think I see enough of both within video games and in reality.

Off_Ground posted: »

Thanks a lot, it did cost me a bit of my afternoon game-time. Like I said, it's hard to argue about. People perceive their own sexuality

• HoboStewHoboStew Telltale Alumni

Quality spoiler tagging

• Honestly its if the character is good.

If you get attached to the character you want them to be happy, meaning you want to find their other for them to be happy.

• edited November 2015

True. I enjoy befriending women in general, and the vague excitement of it possibly leading to a romantic encounter somewhere down the line is usually at least a factor. I don't think any less of them if I find out that they're in a relationship, but some of the incentive to make a good impression and keep at it before they "get away" is often gone. Which can be a good thing, as it's very hard to relax and enjoy someone's company if you're constantly looking for signals and chances to show off, but it can also result in lack of interest as you describe. But even then it's more of a case of lowered expectations than lack of attraction.

Heh, funny, I prefer Rhys and Fiona as circumstantial allies with nothing in common except mutual dislike and zero underlying sexual tension because that's something I don't see enough of between man and woman in fiction. That, and the idea of two player-controlled characters getting together seems a bit... incestuous? Rather, Sasha's demeanor is a lot less guarded than Fiona's and her open impulsiveness and playfulness makes her much more plausible for an 'opposites attract' scenario, even if it's of the shallow variety. And Rhys is still a guy, after all. Sense encouragement, will pursue.

LoseMyHome posted: »

I know, in my personal experience, at least as a woman I have found friendships with heterosexual men are possible without sexuality becomin

Sign in to comment in this discussion.