Why does TWD get more attention?

edited November 2015 in The Wolf Among Us

I'm curios, TWD is getting a new mini series, and a season 3. While TWAU is basically left in the dark. Zombies has been done a thousand times. And if I'm correct, I'm pretty sure TWAU was more successful than TWD. So why is the TWD getting more attention?

P.S the show sucks also. Season 1 was amazing because frank darabont directed it, then AMC fired him and have been hiring a bunch of incompetent directors making it a inconsistent mess.

Comments

• Well for one, they signed a multi year deal with Skybound when it comes to TWD, while TWAU was only signed to a single year deal if I recall. Also, let's face it, TWD is the bigger and more well known series and is also what made Telltale really well known. TWD is their most successful franchise, while they have never released the numbers for TWAU, so while it may have been successful, I highly doubt that it beat TWD.

I have no fucking idea why you brought up the show, the show has nothing to do with this, so why mention it?

• Walking Dead is a bigger and more mainstream series. And Walking Dead did do better than Wolf, but not that much, Wolf has sold about 900k Copies on steam.

• And if I'm correct, I'm pretty sure TWAU was more successful than TWD

I believe that's incorrect. TWD sold over 21 million episodes (divide by 5 episodes and we have around 4 million copies). TWAU has sold 900k on Steam, or so I've heard. And while we don't know how much TWAU sold on other plataforms/consoles, I guess it's accurate to say that TWAU wasn't more successful than TWD.

• They don't release the numbers for most of their franchises unless it is something extremely successful like Walking Dead was. Walking Dead is an exception - not the rule - when it comes to various things such as Telltale opting to share that kind of information.

Well for one, they signed a multi year deal with Skybound when it comes to TWD, while TWAU was only signed to a single year deal if I recall

• TWD has the publicity because of the TV series. It builds hype with TT not really having to do anything, especially with the mini series taking a character from the TV show it is just easy marketing and will sell. TT need (or prefer) the guaranteed cash cow.

• The Michonne mini series is the comic version of the character, not the T.V. show as the game is set in the comic universe, not the show's universe.

Jake360 posted: »

TWD has the publicity because of the TV series. It builds hype with TT not really having to do anything, especially with the mini series tak

• Mainly because of the tv show and the huge undead following that's still behind it, like some of the others had similarly said. But yeah, enough of zombies (for Telltale games at least), bring the Fables fantasy we crave!

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited November 2015

The reason why The Walking Dead keeps getting so many seasons, DLC, and miniseries, is because it is really popular, but it's also because Telltale signed a multi-year license when they picked up the rights to The Walking Dead, as MetallicaRules said.

The only other series before The Walking Dead that had a multi-year, multi-platform contract was Sam & Max (CSI also had a similar yearly or every other year release, but it is an oddball, as Telltale was actually contracted by Ubisoft to make the games, which is the only time in the history of the company that Telltale ever worked under contract by a publisher). Game of Thrones is also a multi-year, multi-platform contract, so they can release as many games as they want without renegotiating a deal for that as well. Every other franchise they have would require a brand new contract every time they wanted to make a new game, unless they were able to get better terms in the new contract which would allow them the multi-year terms that they didn't get in their original contract.

Negotiating new contracts is a really lengthy process, which can take many months, but most likely would take many years to hash out a deal that would be deemed beneficial to all parties involved (in the case of The Wolf Among Us, that's Telltale, Bill Willingham, DC Comics, and Vertigo (which is an imprint of DC Comics, but acts independently), which is a lot of people that a contract would have to please before it can go forward).

• Yes I know but that wasn't my point. The character is in the TV show, regardless of universe the publicity of the character is there already.

The Michonne mini series is the comic version of the character, not the T.V. show as the game is set in the comic universe, not the show's universe.

• Other than the fact that The Walking Dead TV series had made the franchise really popular, it's just easy to get zombies! They're everywhere in today's culture, so anybody could jump in Telltale's The Walking Dead without ever having seen an episode of the show or a page of the comic! Fables on the other hand, it's more of a different idea to get used to.

• edited November 2015

Everyone will and apparently has told you that its because people love zombies and the show did really well.

IMO the show was kind of garbage. I have never seen such feeble zombies that were so easy to kill. You can crush their skull in with just about anything, your shoe or a pocketknife or a pencil or a firehose. I have been hit by firehose before and dead on its enough to knock you down, and while its semi painful its not even close to enough to crush a skull. I own a crossbow and do you know how easily your bolts bend or are broken? You sure wouldn't put the same one through a skull 20x over. I could write on for days about the flaws in that shows writing that you are supposed to overlook to enjoy it.

I agree with OP all the way, the masses might like mindless zombie flicks but Wolf Among Us was the bets telltale game I have ever played. If I could request a sequel for any game in my library it would probably be that one.

• edited November 2015

Yeah well the walking dead in all 3 mediums will constantly have continuity issues here and there as with all fantasy franchises so trying to compare fantasy with reality and real life physical science is rather futile to an extent. So I simply throw most science and logic out the window except for imagination, when trying to enjoy watching, reading, or playing unless it is extremely exxagerated to a ridiculous point.

However the television series's writing is just so on point season after season and the neileson ratings seemingly backing up their critical acclaim time and again.. unlike the game series so far which sort of fell off the wagon with it's second weaker season while the first season was stronger and spectacular..in a way that is on par if not surpassing all the television show seasons.

Imnuktam posted: »

Everyone will and apparently has told you that its because people love zombies and the show did really well. IMO the show was kind of gar

• TWD is the reason most of us became Telltale fans to begin with (it's what introduced me to Telltale anyway) also TWD was allot more emotional and wasn't really done before to my knowledge (or at least the first one to become mainstream)

• TWAU was by far better than season 2 TWD.

• Well TWD does have the advantage of both a successful ongoing comic book series and a popular ongoing TV series to accompany it. TWAU does have Fables (which ended earlier this year) and the recently finished comic adaptation of the game, but both are lesser known to the public imo.

I'm not claiming to speak for the masses here, but when I first played TWD S1, I knew of the comics and TV series for TWD. But when I saw TWAU being advertised on PSN, I thought it was an original work by TellTale! I had never heard of the Fables comics before (now I own the entire collection)

So I say TWD gets more attention by having more to offer, and people find out through curiosity of discovering 'Is there more of this somewhere?'

THAT BEING SAID. I still hold TWAU in a higher regard to TWD and even TFTB...

• TWD has more attencion due to tv series.
    Fables is not mainstream thing.
    Hard to blame anyone in telltale for focusing on product which makes more coins.
    The good thing is that at some point even walking dead will get boring, and fables universe is good, fairly tale in modern world is popular.

• And if I'm correct, I'm pretty sure TWAU was more successful than TWD.

You're wrong by like 1000x.

TWDG has always been Telltale's most successful franchise. It hits extremely close to home with them and many fans seem to want more TWDG. Telltale goes off by buy rates and how well the game did, even though a lot of TWAU fans want more TWAU, it most likely didn't do that well when it came to buy rates.

• ? It was number 1 in the Steam sales upon it's finish wasn't it?

And if I'm correct, I'm pretty sure TWAU was more successful than TWD. You're wrong by like 1000x. TWDG has always been Telltale'

edited November 2015

You're right that The Wolf Among Us isn't more popular than The Walking Dead, but it's likely their second most popular series. According to Steam Spy, The Wolf Among Us is only behind both seasons of The Walking Dead and Poker Night at the Inventory. Since the first Poker Night was Steam only, The Wolf Among Us is likely to be Telltale's third best selling game when factoring in all of the platforms.

It even beats Back to the Future: The Game on Steam Spy, which was confirmed to be Telltale's best selling game before The Walking Dead, as well as their other popular series such as Sam & Max, Tales from the Borderlands, and Game of Thrones, so it seems that it actually sold quite well.

And if I'm correct, I'm pretty sure TWAU was more successful than TWD. You're wrong by like 1000x. TWDG has always been Telltale'

• Wow, I had no idea that Poker Night sold that much.

Jennifer posted: »

You're right that The Wolf Among Us isn't more popular than The Walking Dead, but it's likely their second most popular series. According t

• edited November 2015

The Walking Dead Season 1 sold way better than TWAU. Which is why the franchise gets more attention.

As to why TWD sold better, it did things people hadn't seen before. Personally, I think TWD S1 is actually the best Telltale game in every respect other than visuals, but I'll admit that's debatable. If I'm being charitable, every game since TWD has been a marginal improvement over the previous titles. If they want to replicate the sales of TWD S1, they need to be innovative again rather than relying on the formula TWD established.

• Part of the reason for the high sales was that it was one of the earlier games to incorporate Team Fortress 2 promotional items. Nowadays, lots of games have handed out Team Fortress 2 promotional items for pre-ordering, but back in the day, items like those were rare so it was more of a big deal to see a game giving you Team Fortress 2 items for playing it.

TheCatWolf posted: »

Wow, I had no idea that Poker Night sold that much.

• Telltale goes off by buy rates and how well the game did, even though a lot of TWAU fans want more TWAU, it most likely didn't do that well when it came to buy rates.

Actually, I imagine it was more related to how well known the franchise was. As Jennifer said above, Wolf sold pretty well anyways. However, I'm going to guess that for larger and more well-known franchises like Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc, Telltale aims to negotiate for the possibility of multiple Seasons up front. Meanwhile, with smaller titles like Wolf or Borderlands, Telltale probably only negotiates for one Season since it might not be as well known.

• Oh, that explains it. Thanks for clarifying.

Part of the reason for the high sales was that it was one of the earlier games to incorporate Team Fortress 2 promotional items. Nowadays, l

• edited November 2015

The Walking Dead is a bigger franchise than Fables, the Comics are one of the most popular Comics right now, the TV Show has been number 1 on air for several countries with still increasing viewers and the game itself is what made TellTale Games a very famous company, so many Youtubers players TTG games, Season One of The Walking Dead Game sold over 4 million copies plus it received ALLOT of Game of the Year Awards with it's own Game of the Year Edition, making episodic and choice-based games allot more popular. If The Wolf Among Us did sell more than The Walking Dead, I doubt TTG wouldn't talk numbers since companies tend to brag about their very successful games. Although honestly, I think it's more to do with more people knowing what The Walking Dead is since it's pretty mainstream and not near as many people knowing what Fables is, perhaps if they made a Fables TV Show popularity would spike.

• Well, I guess there's always an explanation for everything.

with smaller titles like Wolf or Borderlands, Telltale probably only negotiates for one Season since it might not be as well known.

BUT OW??? Meh, at least we're getting BL3.

Telltale goes off by buy rates and how well the game did, even though a lot of TWAU fans want more TWAU, it most likely didn't do that well

• Well the walking dead was voted game of the year and it is what telltale games is most known or, whether it's their best game is debatable, personally my favorite telltale game was the wolf among us.

• Its nice to know that Wolf was so popular. I had no idea. It gives me hope for season two. I so miss being in that world.

Jennifer posted: »

You're right that The Wolf Among Us isn't more popular than The Walking Dead, but it's likely their second most popular series. According t

• HBO, Marvel, Skybound > Mojang > Gearbox > Bill Willingham.

Business, basically.

• The Walking Dead was the tipping point. It was the first game to really breach the wall between games and story and get players seriously emotionally invested in characters. Not much more complicated than that.

Bitch_plz posted: »

Well the walking dead was voted game of the year and it is what telltale games is most known or, whether it's their best game is debatable, personally my favorite telltale game was the wolf among us.

• The walking dead is more popular. I liked wolf's one season I dont really want another

• If there is another (fingers crossed) will you play it?

The walking dead is more popular. I liked wolf's one season I dont really want another

• TWD is a household name considering the immense popularity of the TV show, the comic always making the top 10 monthly sellers list alongside Batman and Spider-Man and the game itself being a critically-acclaimed best seller.

TWAU and Fables does not even have half TWD's popularity, so there is less money to be made in making a S2. As unfortunate as that is, I wouldn't count it out as TWAU sold really well as some have pointed out already on this thread.

• Well, it's not just Bill Willingham, it's Vertigo a subsidiary of DC comics which in turn is a subsidiary of Warner Bros., now I don't know what people here think of Warner Brothers but their games publishing division is pretty awful (Too many controversies to bother mentioning), so maybe, just maybe could it be that having to collaborate with Warner Bros. is what killed it? They are greedy assholes after all, who knows what kind of shady shit they might pull behind the scenes.

TheRealBiz posted: »

HBO, Marvel, Skybound > Mojang > Gearbox > Bill Willingham. Business, basically.

• Because the choices in The Walking Dead are a lot more interesting than those in The Wolf Among Us. Just how I see it. It's far more interesting to choose between will you kill this character who is a bandit or will you keep him alive than who do you suspect more, this guy or this guy.

And TWD is far more popular, and the show also is good, don't state it like a fact that the shows sucks, that's just your opinion. TWD Comics are also the best comics probably out there, I read them like in two weeks couple of years ago.

• edited November 2015

They left off S1 with a cliff hanger.

The walking dead is more popular. I liked wolf's one season I dont really want another

• Not really, the main issue was resolved.

Fat_Turt posted: »

They left off S1 with a cliff hanger.

• It was still a cliff hanger, the main issue was resolved, but more questions arose. We end the game with literally no idea what happened, and still to this day, do not definitively know if it is Nerissa or Faith, or specific details on how the heck it happened. In other words, cliff hanger.

prink34320 posted: »

Not really, the main issue was resolved.

• That's not a cliffhanger, that's just a little moment at the end which leaves you thinking .

The game did not have a cliffhanger, the only way to have a cliffhanger is to leave the main story unresolved at a major point. Heck really non of the games ended on a cliffhanger

Chilled posted: »

It was still a cliff hanger, the main issue was resolved, but more questions arose. We end the game with literally no idea what happened, an

edited November 2015

We actually do know whether it's Nerissa or Faith. The fifth episode of Telltale's game ended with a message to read the comics to continue the story. In the last issue of Fables: The Wolf Among Us, the truth was revealed.

If you're curious, you can pick up the entire run at Comixology, or just pick up issue 48 for $1 to see who it is.

Chilled posted: »

It was still a cliff hanger, the main issue was resolved, but more questions arose. We end the game with literally no idea what happened, an

Sign in to comment in this discussion.