Tales of Monkey Island - Computer shuts down

edited September 2009 in Game Support
Hi,

I can't play the game. The game starts just and everything seems to be okay but after 5 minutes or so the computer just shuts down. The longest was around 10 minutes.

I have:
- Lenovo T60p
- Vista Home Premium (SP2)
- Intel Core 2 2.16GHz
- ATI Mobility FireGl V5250
- 2 GB RAM
- DirectX 10

I found others who had the same problem but I couldn't find a solution so far.

Thank you for any help

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
  • edited July 2009
    Will wrote: »

Hi Will,
    that was fast...
    I already did both a few times but it never worked. I also redownloaded the game and installed t several times.
    I have no idea what else could cause this. Maybe display drivers? Do you have other ideas?

Thanks again
    edited July 2009
    Hmm, it looks like your video card is good enough that it *should* work. Have you tried turning your in-game graphics settings down?

Oh, another thing is that your laptop could just be overheating. You could try playing on a cool, hard surface, and turning off as many background programs as possible.
  • edited July 2009
    Normally the PC goes to Standby when it overheats and it does not really feel cold. I tried playing it in a cool environment with your pref-file but the same thing happened.

The same discussion went on in this thread:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9806&highlight=shuts

Is there a software which can monitor the video card and temperature?
  • edited July 2009
    You're not alone nicki, im having this problem too
  • edited July 2009
    I did it! I don't know exactly what it was but after reinstalling some Lenovo software and almost every driver the problem was gone. So just at least there is a solution.

Thanks for your help!
  • edited July 2009
    I'm having a similar problem, except it started *after* I had progressed pretty far into the game. I was able to play it for an hour or two last night without issue and for a few hours this morning before it started crashing my computer.

It started happening when I was in the jungle area wandering around. The screen flickers and goes blue and I have to turn on and turn off the computer. It crashed in-game two or three times, and now it won't even start! The Lucasarts and Telltale Games logos appear, but when the title screen comes rushing out of the jungle, it crashes completely, and I have to reboot.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game to no avail, and tried the prefs.prop file. My graphics settings were at 3 and the in-game resolution was higher than default, but I don't remember what it was exactly. I tried updating all of my drivers, and I still have the same issue.

Windows XP Professional
    Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, 2GHZ
    Memory: 1024MB RAM

Name: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
    Current Display Mode: 1024x768 32 bit 75Hz
    Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
    Version: 6.14.00.10.6925
    Date: 02/25/2009

Let me know if I missed anything! Please help!!
  • edited July 2009
    Hiya, I posted this on one of the other threads but I think it seems more appropriate here.

I start it up, get through the skull-and-crossbones pretty quickly, get past the "avast" screen, even up to the jungle bit, and then... it crashes. By crashes, I mean restarts my bloody computer. Even my Intel-based laptop gets further than that (but it runs it so slowly it's almost unplayable, which is why I'm using this computer).

Specs of the computer I'm using:

Windows XP Home Edition
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
    Memory: 512MB RAM

Graphics:
    Name: ATI Radeon 9550/X1050 Series
    Current Display Mode: 1024x768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
    Version: 6.14.0010.6833 (English)
    Date: 04/07/2008 04:23:46

Thanks for your support.
  • edited July 2009
    I have an almost identical setup to you, StansCoffins, so maybe this will work for you. It sounds weird (to me, anyway. I'm far from an expert at these things), but I downloaded some old drivers for my graphics card and the game works fine now. I was able to get past the title screen, reload a save, play for about an hour, and there were no crashes! Hopefully this performance will keep up until the end of the game, and there won't be any problems with future chapters.

I found the driver here: http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati_winxp.php and used the first mirror to download it.
  • edited July 2009
    unfortunately I am unable to even run the game. :(
    all I can get is up to starting the game and before the game proper loads - the computer resets.
    I have turned off the auto restart at crash - so when the crash occurs it locks at the BSOD showing initially,
    Problem Caused by nv4_disp.dll
    Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area.
    tech Info:
    STOP: 0x00000050 (0XBDE297CE, 0X00000001, 0XBFA06ECA, 0X00000002)
    nv4_disp.dll - address BFA06ECA base at BF9BB000, DateStamp 3cc090b7.

I reloaded the most recent driver, and servicepack, also the directX , and still get crash, now with a slightly different stop code.
    STOP:0X0000008E (0X00000005, 0XBFA08B2F, 0XF325F904, 0X00000000)
    nv4_disp.dll - Address BFA08B2F base at BF9BB000, DateStamp 3fd73a78.

PC computer
    Toshiba , WinXP
    nVidia GeForce4 420 GO [Toshiba]

this is the only programme or game which causes this type of lockup or crash.
    :(
    It is a pity M$ has had to make the OS so complicated - the original Monkey Islands would run on almost every computer which could run DOS ...
    Many games today have detectors built-in which look for compatibility with the requirements need to run it checking graphics, OS, CPU, etc. ... and wont install if standards not met ...
    With the problems trying to run This one, perhaps this direction may be needed for future editions.
    ALSO
    please add a Machine Requirements list for running the games!
    edited July 2009
    There actually are system specs on the buy page, but I fear that they aren't A) in an obvious location, B) clear enough and C) high enough. It's something we are going to look into.

Anyway, as to your specific setup trog, I'm having a hell of a time finding directx information for your video card, but it looks like it may not be DX8.1 compatible. If that's true, it would mean that no amount of us fiddling will get the game to work I'm afraid. We will of course be happy to provide a refund if you email support@telltalegames.com
  • edited July 2009
    Thank you, veggio, that really worked a treat. I'm now enjoying the game. Thanks again! :D
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks for the reply,
    the card actually runs directX 9C 2009 version no problem .
    It also happily runs Sam & Max s01E04 Abe Lincoln ... [as per the feedback recommendation to use it to check another problem computer ]

but there is obviously something in the Monkey Island conflicting with the nVidia driver - hence the STOP error relating to "nv4_disp.dll" ... [maybe a monkey wrench jambing things up ... ;) ]

As regards to offering a refund ... thanks , but, NAH ... I'm also a game collector :cool:
    [ the collection is more like a library - over 1500 originals ! ]
    - I'll eventually get a different computer which hopefully should run it ...

but at present - until I find a way around it I'll probably just have to try a different game - or several :rolleyes:

and as regards, the Machine Requirements - should be on the details page NOT just the purchase page ... I spent ages searching the site trying to find the relevant info ... :confused:
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Since it worked in a similar case you all should try to check your memory with http://www.memtest86.com/ just to be sure.
    Bad memory is often the reason for random crashes.

It is probably enough to run it for one pass. Look at the lower table that looks like this after one pass is finished:
    Test Pass Errors
    ---- ---- ------
    Std     1      0

If there are errors they are showed in red as in this example:
    th_Photo024.jpg
  • edited July 2009
    thanks for the info about the MemTest ... I had prior to posting the help me, done the usual research on the STOP error - with the resultant entry from M$ pointing to possible faulty RAM ... as both stop codes relate to "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" .
    ... anyways,
    the test was negative

Test Pass Errors
    ---- ----
    Std 1 0

100% PASS.
    I am sure it is an incomaptibility to the nVidia hardware or Drivers for this
    nVidia GeForce4 420 GO [Toshiba] card ...
    [ actually researching further at microsoft, they have a page relating to SP2 drivers and later being incompatible to these cards !!! - causing weird screen sizes and other faults if installed ... 8| ]
    these cards unfortunately are a slightly "cut-down" version of the similar desktop cards, mainly as a power saving feature for the portables, making them about 90% compatible with what ever ... ;(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I am glad the Memory Test was negative.

@trog, @Will
    Will wrote: »
    Anyway, as to your specific setup trog, I'm having a hell of a time finding directx information for your video card, but it looks like it may not be DX8.1 compatible. If that's true, it would mean that no amount of us fiddling will get the game to work I'm afraid. We will of course be happy to provide a refund if you email support@telltalegames.com

Hey Will, while researching i found this amazing website with detailed information on graphics cards. You might want to bookmark it for future reference.

For trog's nVidia GeForce4 420 GO it says that only DirectX 7.0 is supported.

Therefore it doesn't fulfill the DirectX 8.1 requirement of ToMI.

trog, if you're willing to exchange your Graphics Card it should be no problem to find a cheap one that works with ToMI. Just state the name of your Mainboard, or if you know what Version of AGP it supports.
  • edited July 2009
    trog, if you're willing to exchange your Graphics Card it should be no problem to find a cheap one that works with ToMI. Just state the name of your Mainboard, or if you know what Version of AGP it supports.

... this PC being a Toshi notebook - I'm not sure if that option is actually possible ... :(

... and thanks to all who have replied ...

- guess I'll just have to sit and watch from the sidelines for this game play :(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    trog wrote: »
    I am sure it is an incomaptibility to the nVidia hardware or Drivers for this nVidia GeForce4 420 GO [Toshiba] card ...

Some bad news. Your GeForce4 420 GO only supports DirectX 7, which doesn't meet ToMIs requirements. I found this very useful website just yesterday. I had not enough information about your Graphics card before.

I think your options are limited to playing it on a different computer or getting a refund.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Just a marker to keep me from reading it all over again:
    So far everyone in this thread, except ZombieAtPlay, has a solution.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    You're not alone nicki, im having this problem too

Okay, let's get you back into the game.

What operating system are you using?

Further go to your Start menu and click on Run.
    Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.
    Then go to the Display tab.
    From there, post this information:
    Name:
    Current Display Mode:
    Main Driver:
    Version:
    Date:

Based on Will's post.
  • edited July 2009
    Oh thats cool!

Ok im on vista
    Name: Nvidia Geforce 9600m gs
    Mode: 1280x720 32bit 60hz
    Driver: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
    version: 7.15.0011.7629 (english)
    Date: 08/08/2008 04:15:00
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    And im a computer dunce :p

How do i find my system specs?

I guess we posted almost at the same time. read above.
  • edited July 2009
    edited :D
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Oh thats cool!

Ok im on vista
    Name: Nvidia Geforce 9600m gs
    Mode: 1280x720 32bit 60hz
    Driver: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
    version: 7.15.0011.7629 (english)
    Date: 08/08/2008 04:15:00

That driver is quite old.
    Uninstall the previous one and reboot. Do you know where to uninstall programs?
    There is an Nvidia related entry you should uninstall.
    Then download and install this one.
  • edited July 2009
    Thank you, my friend! Downloading now.

I uninstalled it from the 'progams and features' part of the control panel right?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I uninstalled it from the 'progams and features' part of the control panel right?
    That's correct. See, you actually do know some things about computers :-)
    Oh, and don't forget to restart your computer after uninstalling.
  • edited July 2009
    Done and done :)

I'll let you know if it works
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Done and done :)

I'll let you know if it works

Hurry :p
  • edited July 2009
    I get the same issue as StansCoffins: the PC restarts itself at the jungle bit after the avast screen.
    The system is similar to the others, and the detail level is 3, as reported by veggio.

I tried also W&G Muzzled: same behavior (it restarts immediately when I change the detail level down to 3).

It's related to detail level 3, since if I set 4 (yes, higher) both games seem to run correctly (albeit in ToMI the mouse is too clunky to play) .

Now, brace for the strangest part: if I downclock my CPU, both W&G and ToMI run correctly also at detail level 3.

I just changed that CPU, so at first I tought of an HW problem in it, but all other things seem to run just fine, and the effect is identical to other reports in this thread.

I run memtest86+ (for 4 passes) and CPU Burn-In (both on Ubuntu and WinXP, 60 minutes each) with no errors.

I upgraded the video drivers the day ToMI was released.

System details:

Athlon XP 3000+ (FSB 333Mhz)
    ASUS A7V8X motherboard
    2Gb RAM
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
    Windows XP Pro

(The previous CPU was an Athlon XP 2200+, FSB 266Mhz, and got no problems. I downclocked the 3000+ to the same, and again it worked.)

This is the second strangest bug I've ever seen...
  • edited July 2009
    No it didn't work Dj :(

And now when i start the computer it asks for NvDpl.dll in the system32 folder.

Im on a laptop btw, does that make a difference?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    GozzoMan wrote: »
    I run memtest86+ (for 4 passes) and CPU Burn-In (both on Ubuntu and WinXP, 60 minutes each) with no errors.

Did you run these tests when the cpu speed was normal?
    This is the second strangest bug I've ever seen...
    It sure is.

Here's one thing I could imagine. The speed of the Graphics Card slot depends on the FSB. Maybe something runs out of synch hardware wise (At the level of electrical signals) at higher speeds.

It is possible that your board doesn't fully support that CPU. Look in the CPU compatibility section at ASUS website for your Board.

The Athlon XP 3000+ is only supported by a certain PCB Version (1.04) of that board. If it is supported, there's a FSB333 sticker on the south bridge.

If there is no such Sticker you might be able to read the PCB Version somewhere in a dark corner of your Motherboard. That might be useful in case the sticker has been removed somehow.

In case the CPU is supported, you should try installing the most recent BIOS update. You'll find that at the download section of the above link.

The more i think about it, that is the most logical explanation for that kind of behavior. I kind of hope, that your board doesn't support the CPU, because then at least the issue would not be a mystery anymore.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    No it didn't work Dj :(

And now when i start the computer it asks for NvDpl.dll in the system32 folder.

Im on a laptop btw, does that make a difference?

That's sad.

I tried googleing it, but mainly found something related to NvCpl.dll, which is the nvidia control panel.

I assumed it was a laptop, because it is a mobile graphics chip. I just saw in the driver information that some laptops are not supported.

What Brand and Model is yours?
  • edited July 2009
    D'oh! Sorry youre right.

Error loading C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll
    Specified module could not be found

And im on a Medion P6612
  • edited July 2009
    Hi guys.
    After some initial problems getting the game to launch, which were solved by changing my display, settings I thought I was about to set sail! But when I click new game, the start sequence starts to load but the screen is very dark and then it causes my computer to restart. When the computer boots up again it informs me that the system has recovered from a serious error. Is my computer not man enough to run this game or could it be another problem. All help greatly appreciated.

System Information
    Time of this report: 7/21/2009, 01:35:49
    Machine name: EGGWILLET
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
    System Model: PCV-RS122(CE)
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
    Memory: 768MB RAM
    Page File: 476MB used, 630MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

DxDiag Notes
    DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Music Tab: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.
    Network Tab: No problems found.

DirectX Debug Levels
    Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
    DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
    DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
    DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
    DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
    DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
    DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

Display Devices
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (Sony)
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce4 Ti 4200
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0253&SUBSYS_A00A1043&REV_A3
    Display Memory: 64.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Default Monitor
    Monitor Max Res:
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.13.0010.4106 (English)
    DDI Version: 8
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 11/6/2002 18:13:00, 2683370 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 11/6/2002 18:13:00, 1177594 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4113-11CF-F963-008001C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Device ID: 0x0253
    SubSys ID: 0xA00A1043
    Revision ID: 0x00A3
    Revision ID: 0x00A3
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D
    Deinterlace Caps: {212DC722-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {212DC723-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_MedianFiltering
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {212DC722-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {212DC723-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_MedianFiltering
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,UYVY) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    {212DC722-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,2) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_PixelAdaptive
    {212DC723-3235-44A4-BD29-E1652BBCC71C}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_MedianFiltering
    {335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,0x3231564e) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled
    DDraw Test Result: Not run
    D3D7 Test Result: Not run
    D3D8 Test Result: Not run
    D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Sound Devices
    Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_8148104D&REV_02
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
    Driver Version: 5.10.0000.4090 (English)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    Date and Size: 12/4/2002 14:28:10, 730956 bytes
    Other Files:
    Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
    HW Accel Level: Full
    Cap Flags: 0x0
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
    Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
    HW Memory: 0
    Voice Management: Yes
    EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
    I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
    Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
    Registry: OK
    Sound Test Result: Not run
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    D'oh! Sorry youre right.

Error loading C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll
    Specified module could not be found

And im on a Medion P6612

okay, that one is not in the "unsupported list".

I can only guess.

Try if you can open the NVIDIA Control Panel this way and tell me if that works:
    Right-click the Windows desktop, then click NVIDIA Control Panel from the
    context menu.

If that works it might be something left over from the previous driver. You did uninstall it and restart before installing the new one, right?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (Sony)
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.13.0010.4106 (English)
    Driver Date/Size: 11/6/2002 18:13:00, 2683370 bytes

It might maybe be possible that your card could work :D

All of your drivers listed are 7 years old. We should start updating them first.

Here is the latest driver for your graphics card.
    uninstall the current one, reboot, and install the new one.

Then install the latest audio driver.

Finally download and install the most recent DirectX Version.

Afterwards tell me whether it works.

Don't expect the game to run fast on your card. You should start with setting a low resolution and most importantly graphic level 1. From there you can go up and see how much works for you.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi DjNDB, thank you for the suggestion.
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Did you run these tests when the cpu speed was normal?

Yes, normal speed (not downclocked).
    DjNDB wrote: »
    In case the CPU is supported, you should try installing the most recent BIOS update. You'll find that at the download section of the above link.

Sorry, lost a letter in the previous message: the mobo is a A7V8X-X, here's the page:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=YcXfRrWHZ9RKoVmw

3000+(333 MHZ FSB) is supported in all revisions... and the BIOS is already the latest stable available :(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Sorry, lost a letter in the previous message
    [...]
    3000+(333 MHZ FSB) is supported in all revisions... and the BIOS is already the latest stable available :(

No Problem. So it's still as strange as in the beginning.
    Have you played other 3D games successfully since you upgraded?

Let's go some steps back and try to solve this systematically.

First let us get some data.
    Start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Copy and paste it's contents into a new message.

More detailed:
    Open the file. Select all text that is shown in that file and copy it here into the forum.
    You can do that by pressing CTRL-A followed by CTRL-C in the open file to copy the data, and then write a message here and press CTRL-V.

Afterwards you should do as followed.

Testing your graphics card:

Open your PC and make sure the graphics card cooler is dust free and look whether the fan runs when the PC is running.

Download FurMark to stress test your graphics card. Start it, select "Stability Test" and "Xtreme Burning Mode" and press "Go!".
    While running you should monitor the temperature at the bottom of the screen. Run it for 10 minutes or until the temperature seems to be stable for some minutes. If the temperature exceeds 80°C, abort with Escape.rature seems to be stable for some minutes. If the temperature exceeds 80°C, abort with Escape.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi. Thanks DjNDB. Installing the updated drivers for my graphics card solved the problem of the computer crashing but now all menues, maps and item lists are black as experienced by others on this forum http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=153044
    Any ideas? New graphics card? new computer?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Hi. Thanks DjNDB. Installing the updated drivers for my graphics card solved the problem of the computer crashing but now all menues, maps and item lists are black as experienced by others on this forum http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=153044
    Any ideas? New graphics card? new computer?

I should have remembered that, because I saw it in the other thread a few days ago. When i read Geforce 4 Ti 4200 I just checked whether it was DirectX 8.1 conform and didn't follow my earlier thought further.

Updating at least the Graphics Card is the best option. The game would have been quite slow on your current one anyway.
    It is however not simple to find a suitable AGP card, because I don't know which AGP versions your board support, and they are only compatible within limits.

There is no useful Documentation on the sony website, only generic handbooks and no mentioning of the AGP Version.

Your current Graphics card could be AGP 4x or AGP 8x.
    In most cases 8x cards should run in a 4x slot, so there's a good chance you can use a recent graphics card. If you want to know instead of trying you should ask the sony support first which AGP version the board has and if you can upgrade it with an AGP 8x card.

If that's the case, there are several quite cheap options.
    I would recommend an ATI Radeon HD3450 AGP, which has 8x AGP. Which is a quite recent model and a lot faster then your current one. Most other AGP cards which are available as new products today appear to be slower for a similar price.

You can find a shop using googles shopping function. From what i've seen there they are available for less than 50$.
This discussion has been closed.