TOMI-dont lauching!!!

2»

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    guille wrote: »
    meybe i will buy another computer and that all any way i wanted upgrade my computer meybe it was the mainboard i think it will work there

Just wait a second.

If you still have your old processor and memory you could just try to install them again. If that works, you know nothing is wrong with your Windows Installation.

Otherwise I would keep the old hardware for now, reinstall Windows XP and only SP3, other Windows updates and the most recent drivers for your Graphics Card, Chipset and DirectX. You can't have a cleaner System than that.
    Then install the game and test it.

It should work then because it's the same hardware that worked earlier. If it doesn't work either something must be really strangely broken.
  • edited July 2009
    no i wont upgrade my pc soon
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    no i wont upgrade my pc soon

I think you missunderstood me. I was talking about putting your old processor and memory back into you pc, just for a test. It's the last thing i could come up with in your situation, and it does make sense to test it.
  • edited July 2009
    ^^^ the game just dont lauch it dont even make an error i open it it apper in file manager but dont start i have the same problem in wallace and gromit episode 1,2,3 and sam and max season 2 so it isnt a problem of only one game it all telltale games i have.
    all other games work fine
    DXdiag:
    NVIDIA 8400 GS geforce 512 ram
    and 2048 GB ram
    dac:integrated RAMDAC
    display:1024*1280 (32 bit) (60 Hz)
    win XP pro sp3

I have the same problem too, I am suspecting that it does not have to do with the hardware, as I have been able to play the demo version. It rather seems that it has to do with copy protection/registration. As soon as I input the email and password, the game cannot launch, as if the software fails to get an acknowledge back on correct email/password and unlock itself. If I disconnect connection to internet, I get the screen were I can manually put in the email/password, serialnumber or manual unlock key, which again indicates that the software has not been unlocked. Frustrating... Seen a cracked version on piratebay, maybe I should go for this version... but it doesn't seem fair to have payed for the game but forced to install a "pirated" version of TOMI :-(

regards Peter
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    qvist wrote: »
    I have the same problem too

Let me link to your other thread, so that everyone who reads here sees that one as well.
  • edited July 2009
    I can now confirm that I have the ToMI running on an other computer (borrowed), same login as above, therefore it cannot be anything with my account, but rather the laptop configuration. What puzzels me is that the behavior is different between those two laptops, as if there is a memory leak or internal crash in the program without any UI error message. The taskmanager states that monkeyisland101.exe is running, and launching ToMI again (and again) reveals several monkeyislands101.exe running with about 16Kb mem usage. This behavior is not there on the other laptop where ToMI is running. The question is if there is some software installed on the laptop (running) that interfers with ToMI?
    Just for the record, ToMI demo version is running fine on both laptops, which leads me to think that the hardware itself is ok.

rgds Peter
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    The question is if there is some software installed on the laptop (running) that interfers with ToMI?

There are some things i'd like you to do in that order:

Start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible for us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.

Msconfig for Windows XP:
    To Boot Clean in Windows XP

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post

If it doesn't work by now:

Fresh Download
    Uninstall the game and choose not to delete your save games.
    Then make a clean download as described below, and install it.

Deleting temporary internet files:

Before downloading it again it is generally recommended that you
    delete your browsers cache/temporary internet files so that it is not loaded from there:

In recent Firefox and Internet Explorer you can delete the cache/temporary internet files with CTRL-Shift-Del.

In Firefox you would only select "Cache".

In Internet Explorer only select "Temporary Internet Files".
    Uncheck all other boxes in each case.

After installation check if the error still occurs.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi DjNDB, thanks for your effort!

Attached the dxdiag.txt, (zip file) and tried to re-install (un-install first with delete save games), with a new fresh downloaded setup file, (cleaned the browser cache).
    Have even tried to clear out registery references to ToMI, which resulted in being able to register again through the splash screen, (this is only possible if I disable wireless, otherwise)

Did the steps with msconfig, and did a minimal boot, but no luck... (have tried it before, though).

Think I have tried all suggestions in the forum (including the props file from Will)

Kind regards Peter
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    It rather seems that it has to do with copy protection/registration. As soon as I input the email and password, the game cannot launch, as if the software fails to get an acknowledge back on correct email/password and unlock itself. If I disconnect connection to internet, I get the screen were I can manually put in the email/password, serialnumber or manual unlock key, which again indicates that the software has not been unlocked. Frustrating... Seen a cracked version on piratebay, maybe I should go for this version... but it doesn't seem fair to have payed for the game but forced to install a "pirated" version of TOMI :-(

regards Peter

If you think it could be securom related you could try deleting the files in your temp folder:
    C:\Users\$YourUsername$\AppData\Local\Temp
    I don't know if that can help, but the launcher downloads files there.

You could also try the Manual unlock mechanism. You enter your serial, send it and the code you get to support@telltalegames.com and get the unlock key. I hope i named them kind of correctly, otherwise you will find out.

Hi DjNDB, thanks for your effort!

Attached the dxdiag.txt, (zip file) and tried to re-install (un-install first with delete save games), with a new fresh downloaded setup file, (cleaned the browser cache).
    Have even tried to clear out registery references to ToMI, which resulted in being able to register again through the splash screen, (this is only possible if I disable wireless, otherwise)

Did the steps with msconfig, and did a minimal boot, but no luck... (have tried it before, though).

Think I have tried all suggestions in the forum (including the props file from Will)

Kind regards Peter

Okay, sad it didn't work.

I'll take a look at your dxdiag soon.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    This is strange:
    DirectX Files Tab: The file d3d9d.dll is a debug version, which will run slower than the retail version.

You should install the most recent DirectX version and see if that goes away. Just the first thing i noticed. Wanted to let you know asap. I'll continue reading it now.
  • edited July 2009
    Have also tried to enter the serial number, without luck, requested a manual unlock key yesterday from support@telltalegames.com, but they say it might take a couple of days before they respond, so I will wait patiently.

The debug version of the dll, is probably because I installed a DirectX SDK kit, as suggested somewhere else in this forum, no luck though, I will revert back to the retail version, and let you know if there is any changes.

I will do a new download/install (and delete the temp directory) after uninstall of SDK directX, (just for fun :) )
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I will do a new download/install (and delete the temp directory) after uninstall of SDK directX, (just for fun :) )
    That's the right attitude ;)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    I'll continue reading it now.

I didn't find anything else :(
  • edited July 2009
    unistalled the SDK and ToMI, cleared out all telltale references in registery
    cleared IE cache, and temp directory under localsettings, downloaded setup file again, run setup, registered with email and password, no luck:(

attached new dxdiag, but I don't think you will get any more information, the one dll file marked "problem" is gone.

I'll wait for the manual unlock key, and get back if this solves my problem.
    thanks again
    Peter
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    attached new dxdiag, but I don't think you will get any more information, the one dll file marked "problem" is gone.

I'll wait for the manual unlock key, and get back if this solves my problem.
    thanks again
    Peter
    I ran a diff on them. Nothing important has changed.

Waiting for the key is your best option atm. We'll see whether it works when the disconnect bug is fixed.
  • edited July 2009
    seem that i dont the only with that anoing harder problem than in nothing happen theard
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    seem that i dont the only with that anoing harder problem than in nothing happen theard

Hmm, Have i already asked you what version of internet explorer you have installed?

Have you ever tried starting the games while you are not connected to the internet?
  • edited July 2009
    IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i formated my newer pc to windows 7 and now it works
    i dont formated espessialy for this game
    only know that it dont hardware problem
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i formated my newer pc to windows 7 and now it works
    i dont formated espessialy for this game
    only know that it dont hardware problem

I'm glad to hear that :) Finally that chapter is closed :rolleyes: Was a really hard one.
  • edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    I'm glad to hear that :) Finally that chapter is closed :rolleyes: Was a really hard one.
    yeah sadly i had to formate my computer for it work
    ok the chapter is close
  • edited July 2009
    Weird!!, mine also started working today. Tried to register with the serial number (just because i only tried that 10 times, instead of email/password a zillion times) and it worked??!!, I am sure i did not do anything or change my laptop configuration, maybe they have done something on the telltale register service???

Still have a problem that i have to reboot my laptop every time i want to relaunch the game, but that I can live with.

regard Peter
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Weird!!, mine also started working today. Tried to register with the serial number (just because i only tried that 10 times, instead of email/password a zillion times) and it worked??!!, I am sure i did not do anything or change my laptop configuration, maybe they have done something on the telltale register service???

Still have a problem that i have to reboot my laptop every time i want to relaunch the game, but that I can live with.

regard Peter

That's strange. If it was on telltales side the reboot wouldn't make sense, unless there are independent issues.
    If you try to start the second time, does it look the same way as before when it was not working?
  • edited July 2009
    Yes, this was an issue before also, I could not start the monkeyisland101.exe twice, without rebooting. So I think it is "independent" issues.
    I will update this thread next chapter, and reinstall both,.. also the first chapter to see if I can find any common sense in the behavior. Sorry that my observations cannot sched light on the this issue:-(

Has anyone heard the release date for the next chapter? 1 chapter +1 month?

regards Peter
This discussion has been closed.