Do YOU use Subtitles?

2»

Comments

• edited July 2009
    That's true for the non native speakers, but a lot of native speakers said they used subtitles as well. Even the ones without known hearing impairments. I just did a quick tally, and more than two thirds of people who didn't mention having a hearing problem or difficulty understanding English kept them on.
  • edited July 2009
    I always keep them on because I got used to non talkie adventure games. When Curse came out, It just seemed natural to keep them on. Plus sometimes I mishear things.
  • edited August 2009
    Feels more appropriate for adventure games, plus I can catch any words if they're muffled or some outside noise interferes.

Subtitles On.
  • edited August 2009
    Always. That goes for all games, and usually TV/movies as well. I parse text much easier than audio. Hell, even my thoughts are subtitled, so to speak. :p I still never skip the audio, even though I finish reading long before the words have been spoken.
  • edited August 2009
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Always. That goes for all games, and usually TV/movies as well. I parse text much easier than audio. Hell, even my thoughts are subtitled, so to speak. :p I still never skip the audio, even though I finish reading long before the words have been spoken.

I wish cashiers at stores had subtitles...
  • edited August 2009
    Subtitles take away from the experience... We're still talking about cashiers right?
  • edited August 2009
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I wish cashiers at stores had subtitles...

Am i supossed to find that offensive?:confused:
  • edited August 2009
    Always have them on. Often you can miss stuff if there happens to be any background noise in the house or coming from outside, or if the words are muffled, so with subs on, you don't miss what they're saying thanks to that.
  • edited August 2009
    Am i supossed to find that offensive?:confused:

I just have trouble understanding what cashiers are saying all the time, and constantly have to ask them to repeat themselves. :o
  • edited August 2009
    Hah, you know who I really wish had subtitles? Not sure if you get it in America, but in the UK when you phone up for support, sometimse your forwarded to some foreign country, usually somewhere Asian, as thats where their help centre is(Cheaper I guess), and some foreign guy who can barely speak english picks up the phone. They need subtitles, it's impossible to understand them otherwise...
  • edited August 2009
    Liking subtitles is a bit of a culture thing.
    Here in the Netherlands nothing is ever dubbed except pre-teen cartoons so everyone is used to subtitles + original audio. You kind of learn to read along subconsciously, even if the audio is enough by itself.

Since the German speaking market is much bigger, the Germans do make an effort to dub everything. Subs are considered much more like an 'alien' thing.

Personally I like subs, especially when the room is noisy or when you you are eating something crunchy.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.